PDA

View Full Version : Would you hire a female mechanic?

Tiff-O-Bitties
09-16-2005, 02:57 PM
Lets just say a girl goes to school and graduates with a motorsports vehicle technology degree with a 3.5 gpa... would you hire her to work in your shop?

if so, why? if not, why?

The Golden Child
09-16-2005, 02:58 PM
girls working the tools would be pretty cool if i did own a shop ..
and a plus if there hot cause ill be racking in some more customers ..

HyPer50
09-16-2005, 02:59 PM
Sure.. But when a female gets involved in the male dominated world of mechanics, you gotta have tough skin.. But I'd hire anybody qualified for the job, regardless of sex.

AznTraitor
09-16-2005, 02:59 PM
no.

simply because she has a "friend" visit her once a month, and girls usually get mouthy around that time. And if I was her boss, I'd be damned if I had a employee give me and lip.

silver
09-16-2005, 03:00 PM
I know guys that work in shops that have female mechanics.. as long as they know their stuff and can do the job I would hope a shop wouldn't discriminate against her being a female... (alot of these girls are butch though, lol)

chuck
09-16-2005, 03:00 PM
no girls can't drive cars, let alone work on them, hahaha...j/k

it'd probably all depend on her looks, if she was hot i would hire her, haha, once again, j/k

ummmm, that's tough...i'd like to say its all about how well she does he job but if it was too much of a distraction for the rest of the shop then i'd have to say no.

silver
09-16-2005, 03:01 PM
no.

simply because she has a "friend" visit her once a month, and girls usually get mouthy around that time. And if I was her boss, I'd be damned if I had a employee give me and lip.

I have been in a few shops and I have heard men that can get a bit mouthy and moody year round, lol

AznTraitor
09-16-2005, 03:02 PM
I have been in a few shops and I have heard men that can get a bit mouthy and moody year round, lol

this is true too, but those guys would catch a wrench to the face.

I couldnt do that to a female mechanic without getting into a heap of trouble.

PSINXS
09-16-2005, 03:06 PM
i know a girl that about 5 feet tall that works on big diesel trucks. u will get hired. and i f u cute its almos ta given.

mocha latte cupcake
09-16-2005, 03:07 PM
i would go to and hire a female mechanic as long as she knew her stuff... if she can work just as good and hard as everyone else i don't have a problem with it....

as for going to one: AS long as its good RIGHT and FAIR priced work... i'll go anywhere...

Kevykev
09-16-2005, 03:07 PM
fa sho!

chuck
09-16-2005, 03:09 PM
at least the break room would stay clean... :D

Repost Squintz
09-16-2005, 03:21 PM
shit thatd be hot hell yeah i would

boosted1jz
09-16-2005, 03:28 PM
the chevy store next to me has/had a female tech..... she was pretty good from what i understand...

and back when i worked for autonation USA we had a female tech who was badass

i dunno................... if the shoe fits?!

Tiff-O-Bitties
09-16-2005, 03:38 PM
ok.. so basically if she's hott and knows her stuff, she'll be hired?

Twinturbo6
09-16-2005, 03:38 PM
probably not, it would have to be dealt with on an individual basis. If it was a small shop and she could handle herself, sure. But as wrong as this sounds, 80 per cent of the females I have come across in the army are useless. Honestly, they are not knowledgeable, they do not lift stuff, most don't do their jobs, they are always getting away with everything. Hell one of the mechanics in my unit just made sergent and has not been near a bird in 3 yrs ( they made her a secretary! ) My experience with them here has made me really synical to women in the work place altogeather. Sure there are the good ones, but hell I wouldn't even hire my girlfriend, and I love her. they just don't seem to have the work ethic I require. In there defense, most men don't either.

chuck
09-16-2005, 03:40 PM
ok.. so basically if she's hott and knows her stuff, she'll be hired?
honestly i was thinking somewhat of the opposite...if she was nasty looking but knew her shit i'd hire her, i think if she was hot then it could be too much of a distraction

Tiff-O-Bitties
09-16-2005, 03:50 PM
lol.. yea. i hear ya... well, what if she wore those coveralls every day and never wore make up and got all greasy and stuff.. that can't possibly be a turn on

mocha latte cupcake
09-16-2005, 03:55 PM
if a girl is prepared to get dirty with you working on a car i think thats a huge turn on....! i mean if you look attractive without make up or just attractive in general and then you're like hey i wanna help you install your turbo kit (and actually know what she's doing and not get in the way) then yeah thats UBER HAWT!

speedminded
09-16-2005, 03:56 PM
at least the break room would stay clean... :Douch, lol :D

My mother ran the service station 1/2 the year while my dad was tending another business in another state...3 bays and she was working one of them when not dealing with customers or doing all the paperwork...the numbers proved there wasn't any problems with it. :)

I'd hire a female mechanic, if i owned a real, fully operating, shop that is...but looks would definitely have an effect on customers....yumm, Sway rolling out from under a Ferrari drinking water out of a steel gas can was pretty hot :hump: ewww, hot and mother all in one post...that's just not right!

Greddypacked
09-16-2005, 04:06 PM
Looks is a + no matter the category, she would have to be independent in her work-no what she's doing, and be reliable. it would be awesome if she was cool to be around and has a damn good personality to up the place while it's not busy. The chick on Overhaulin would be a definite hire and Courtney Day could sit there and answer the phone.

mocha latte cupcake
09-16-2005, 04:07 PM
lol ^^^^ :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao:

^^ speedminded

The Golden Child
09-16-2005, 04:33 PM
if she can work the tool shes an A+ ..
i think there was a show on mtv with some butch ladiis ..
monster garage ??

Trouble300zx
09-16-2005, 06:02 PM
You definately gotta have a tough skin... I worked in parts for almost 4 years and I would catch shit and have to prove my self every day. Guys would come in and ask for off the wall shit just because i'ma girl.....I also got by-passed by a bunch of people b/c i'm female... I turned it into a game though...there was always somebody comin in that didn't think I knew my shit...granted at first I didn't, but now.....heh..it's a different story. I loved it though, it is hard work.

dereksi
09-16-2005, 06:07 PM
If she can hang turnin wrenches why not. She would have to put up with ALOT of guy talk. I mean shit the coffee would always be hot and I could always use someone to get me lunch and do goffer work. (go for this go for that). LOL

Trouble300zx
09-16-2005, 06:56 PM
ooooh a go-fer.....dayum.... I worked for a couple of guys like that when I worked with Trane....but I showed them.....i was looking up parts by the end of my first day.......but I guess I just do good when I have to constantly prove myself

99ITRGIRL
09-16-2005, 07:38 PM
I would, because there's nothing a man can do and the woman can't do as good if not better. That sound good? :)

SilverJester
09-16-2005, 07:48 PM
lol.. yea. i hear ya... well, what if she wore those coveralls every day and never wore make up and got all greasy and stuff.. that can't possibly be a turn on
:idb: :idb: A girl that is into cars is cool as hell, a girl that works on cars is automatically hot. :D

Spyder
09-16-2005, 07:49 PM
I would, because there's nothing a man can do and the woman can't do as good if not better. That sound good? :)

bullshit.

Julio
09-16-2005, 07:54 PM

bullshit.

dereksi
09-16-2005, 07:59 PM
bullshit.

dereksi
09-16-2005, 08:01 PM
ooooh a go-fer.....dayum.... I worked for a couple of guys like that when I worked with Trane....but I showed them.....i was looking up parts by the end of my first day.......but I guess I just do good when I have to constantly prove myself
LOL yea I had to do that for a little while. Its called payin your dues at a shop, when your the youngest one there or a female.Never worked with a girl tech though might be kinda cool (if shes hot)

IndianStig
09-16-2005, 08:22 PM
If they know their shit, act nice, have customer service, and well lets face it are strong enough to unscrew the bolts, then yes.
*Last time i did my transmission service i had to kick the bolt loose, i over tightened it the time before.

No matter man or woman if they are bad at the work, then warn, then if they still suck, then fire them.

RandomGuy
09-16-2005, 09:45 PM
i wouldnt mind if its the ones in ur sig either... i can care less if they cant do their shit

JoeCoolinATL
09-17-2005, 01:02 AM
Lets just say a girl goes to school and graduates with a motorsports vehicle technology degree with a 3.5 gpa... would you hire her to work in your shop?

if so, why? if not, why?

apply at the shop in decatur
"my favorite mechanic is a woman"

http://myfavoritemechanic.com/index.html

ill take a pic of the huge mural on the shop tomorrow