PDA

View Full Version : Catalytic converters

99fordzx2
01-16-2009, 09:44 PM
Posted this on another forum Im a member of.

Finally went to get emmissios tested. As per somebody on here, I think it was ZX2Fast, our cars can pass the sniffer without a cat. So I went to the shop expecting them to check the ecu for smog codes, hook up the exhaust to the sniffer and pass me. Well it didnt quite go that smoothly. So I pull up to the shop and the mechanic walks over to me. I say I need an emissions test and he says alright park it and wait in the lobby. Im like alright. So I have a seat and watch them drive it into the garage. From where Im sitting they have a door leading into the garage that has a window in it so I can see whats going on. First the pop the hood. Im like oh crap there looking for the cat. Guess he didnt see one so he checks under the car. He looks for a few minutes and then calls two of the other mechanics over. There all looking under the car and I hear one of them say, "That doesnt look like a cat." I can only assume they were looking at the resonator. lol Well they check under the hood for a few minutes, then I breathe a sigh of relief when they move on to checking the computer for codes. I never threw a code when i took the cat out so I wasnt worried about them finding anything. Then they hooked the machine up to the exhaust. A couple of minutes later they pull it out front and tell me it passed. I leave with a huge grin on my face feeling like I cheated them. To day was pretty productive. lol

This was a shop in McDonough. I miss Jackson just for this reason, no emissions. Ill be ordering my new exhaust soon and itll have a high flow cat and resonator on it. Im just curious, what is everyones take on catalytic converters? Would you have one if it werent required?

-D

Init2winit
01-17-2009, 10:07 AM
Emissions inspectors aren't required to inspect for a cat on 96' and newer cars, only 95' and older.

Kaiser
01-18-2009, 10:07 AM
Emissions inspectors aren't required to inspect for a cat on 96' and newer cars, only 95' and older.

Incorrect. Used to be correct but the current emissions computers do indeed ask for a cat-check on ALL cars, OBDII/OBDII-CAN included. Best bet? Take your car to a quicklube place that does emissions (Like a Jiffy-Lube) on a busy day. They will be in a hurry to get you out, and will not take the time to go down and inspect for a cat.

Oh, and to the OP: Many emissions places pop the hood to look at your Catalyst Information Sticker. It's the most reliable EASY way to get the model year and engine size info all in one glance.

Init2winit
01-18-2009, 10:12 AM
Incorrect. Used to be correct but the current emissions computers do indeed ask for a cat-check on ALL cars, OBDII/OBDII-CAN included. Best bet? Take your car to a quicklube place that does emissions (Like a Jiffy-Lube) on a busy day. They will be in a hurry to get you out, and will not take the time to go down and inspect for a cat.

Oh, and to the OP: Many emissions places pop the hood to look at your Catalyst Information Sticker. It's the most reliable EASY way to get the model year and engine size info all in one glance.When did this start? I re-certified last year, but I haven't done any tests in about a year also.