PDA

View Full Version : General Chat Blitz gives R35 GTR Manual 6 Speed V. RWD, But does it change you opinion of R35 GTR?

EJ25RUN
01-15-2009, 07:32 PM
I found this interesting.

The first attempt to put a proper gearbox into a Nissan R35.

Even though it is a rough setup and the 6 speed they put in is an all out race unit, i thought, if offered a real manual or RWD, would you change your opinion of the GTR?

If you like the GTR, however it comes, vote "Any R35 GTR works for me"

Otherwise vote:

1. Yes, if offered a 6 Speed
2. Yes, if offered rwd
3. Yes, if offered a 6 speed and rwd
4. I like it any way it comes
5. No.

Don't worry if you think Blitz's car looks "ricey", the question pertains to the transmission and the rear drive train.

Pretend, you have a nice gated setup instead of a little hole of carbon fiber.
http://i429.photobucket.com/albums/qq16/EJ25RUN/05_blitz-gtr.jpg?t=1232069305

3 Pedals!..................3 pedals!!!
http://i429.photobucket.com/albums/qq16/EJ25RUN/04_blitz-gtr.jpg?t=1232069402

Less weight.
http://i429.photobucket.com/albums/qq16/EJ25RUN/07_blitz-gtr.jpg?t=1232069274
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2009/01/14_blitz-gtr.jpg

Autoblog...

You'd have to go to great lengths to improve on the Nissan GT-R, but judging by the number of R35s on hand at the Tokyo Auto Salon, Japan's top tuners are making a serious attempt. One GT-R that caught our attention comes from the aftermarket firm Blitz, which ditched Godzilla's all-wheel-drive system and fitted a manual gearbox in an attempt to make the GT-R a credible contender in Japan's D1 drift series.

With the complex ATESSA-ETS setup and rear-to-front drivetrain removed, Blitz has created the first rear-wheel-drive GT-R and addressed one of the main complaints about the R35 – it's weight. While the stock seats remain (Blitz plans to fit a set of Bride buckets later on), it's nixed the air-conditioning and a number of other components, along with replacing several interior panels and the hood with carbon fiber pieces. The gearbox still sits in the rear for optimum weight distribution, but a Hollinger sequential unit has been fitted with the addition of an NISMO GT R34 LSD. The twin-turbo'd 3.8-liter V6 remains unchanged, but the exhaust has been swapped in favor of a Blitz cat-back.

In addition to a set of gauges to keep tabs on boost, oil temperature and oil pressure, Blitz fitted its own ZRR dampers at all four corners, along with a set of BRW09MAG forged magnesium wheels, sized 20x9.5-inches (+38) up front and 20x10-inches (+18) in the rear. Each is shod in super sticky Dunlop SP Sport DSST Ctt (we think 600s) rubber, with 255/40s on the front and 285/35 out back.

The Blitz GT-R is still under development, so it won't be campaigning in D1 until 2010. Not that it matters, we're just enamored by the sight of an R35 with a clutch pedal.

canas
01-15-2009, 07:44 PM
nifty

Bruce Leroy
01-15-2009, 07:57 PM
I like the 6 speed swap. But i would have kept it awd. May as well have bought a 370z and boosted it.

canas
01-15-2009, 08:02 PM
I like the 6 speed swap. But i would have kept it awd. May as well have bought a 370z and boosted it.
QFT

EJ25RUN
01-15-2009, 08:19 PM

A good comparison would be a 911. I see buying a 911 as a totally different experience when compared to buying another car.

It is really of how do you want your 911 instead of this car comes with this and that's it. An example could be a current GTR or a Viper.

A 911 lets you decide which model fits your life without having to settle.

1. Carrera, Targa, Cabriolet
2. 2wd or 4wd
3. Manual or PDK
4. Luxery (911 Turbo) all the way to Pure Sport (911 GT3 RS)
5. 3.6L Turbo engines or 3.6L & 3.8L NA engines
6. Even factory race Versions (GT3 Cup & RSR)

AnthonyF
01-16-2009, 01:13 PM
The car would be more practical in a race sense if it was just RWD. It always have less weight and cost less to repair. Having a big fancy trans u can make payments on but not afford is not a good idea.

I still find the R35 an ugly turd. It's big, bulky, just ugly. It's price tage doesnt make me want one...ever. R34....FTW.

Skylines should STAY JDM and not USDM.

-Ant.

RL...
01-16-2009, 05:31 PM
The car would be more practical in a race sense if it was just RWD. It always have less weight and cost less to repair. Having a big fancy trans u can make payments on but not afford is not a good idea.

I still find the R35 an ugly turd. It's big, bulky, just ugly. It's price tage doesnt make me want one...ever. R34....FTW.

Skylines should STAY JDM and not USDM.

-Ant.

Why do you think you know more about cars and "practicality" than nissan engineers? This car was designed awd without a hbox for a reason. The nissan gt-r has been awarded best car of the year by several magazines and anyone with common sense can appreciate it. Top gear did an episode about it and said it was great.

R34's are illegal, cost more money in this counrty than a NEW r35, etc.....

Saying a car is ugly is pointless as everyones's taste is different. It is bigger than the r34, and heavier. But it also outpeforms it in every aspect.

Why bitch about the fact that the gt-r isn't offered in a 6-speed? I don't sit here and bitch about an rsx being a girls car because it's ugly and it's FWD. I accept it for what it is. The RSX is fundamentally a sporty, economical coupe. The gt-r is fundamentally a race car at a bargain. Complain all you want, but only an idiot can't at teh very least appreciate it for being a well performing machine for 72k.

And if you think it sucks, you haven't gone 0-60 in 3.5 seconds before. Because it's funnnnnnnnn. Drive a gt-r before you dis it.

SouthrnStyle
01-16-2009, 07:21 PM
6 speed is better still ugly rather have the zr1 anyday

nreggie454
01-16-2009, 07:25 PM
A proper gearbox would improve the GTR in my eyes immensely. RWD is cool, too, but I like AWD just as much for other reasons.

To NissanTuner, IMO you can't really drive a car unless it has 3 pedals. In a stock GTR, you are just there for the ride.

matthewAPM
01-16-2009, 07:38 PM
sequential gearbox? I'll take one please

JITB
01-17-2009, 01:44 AM
i think they should have left it AWD... because a GTR isnt a GTR if its not awd.

but i guess for its purpose of D1 and other things its great. The R34 GTR had a full tranny upgrade similar to this one available for it aswell. I believe it was about 15-20k.

yungdz
01-17-2009, 01:57 AM
Honestly I have to agree with NissanTuner.

I like the GTR in whatever form it comes in

Glides
01-17-2009, 08:49 AM
e
Why do you think you know more about cars and "practicality" than nissan engineers? This car was designed awd without a hbox for a reason. The nissan gt-r has been awarded best car of the year by several magazines and anyone with common sense can appreciate it. Top gear did an episode about it and said it was great.

He said it saved weight....and it does save weight removing the AWD system. Matter of fact, the article said so. Also, saving weight in a RACE car, which is what he reffered too, IS more practical. Weight is your enemy in a Race sense, which is what he referred too.

Hmm. I think you are wrong there buster. You can get a Skyline legalized with a minimum of hassle. I've seen it done, my brother has had it done. They have tightened the reigns on Grey Market cars as of late, but the Skyline falls into the same boat as early Grey Market Lambos, Ferraris and all the other Grey Markets that came in. Fell under the same laws. Now, getting the car over here, thats a bit of a hassle. The engine and the chassis cannot come in the same container. If they do, they are subject to seizure.

As for price. They are right around the same. You can get an R34, from a motivated seller, for less than an R35. Specially right now, in this economy. Look around, you would be suprised.

Saying a car is ugly is pointless as everyones's taste is different. It is bigger than the r34, and heavier. But it also outpeforms it in every aspect.

Hmm, so you saying the car ISN'T ugly is pointless too then since everyone's taste is different. Don't let that swinging door smack you. But yes, it does perform beautifully....see next portion of post.

Why bitch about the fact that the gt-r isn't offered in a 6-speed? I don't sit here and bitch about an rsx being a girls car because it's ugly and it's FWD. I accept it for what it is. The RSX is fundamentally a sporty, economical coupe. The gt-r is fundamentally a race car at a bargain. Complain all you want, but only an idiot can't at teh very least appreciate it for being a well performing machine for 72k.

Because he CAN. This is an internet forum. He can bitch about anything, the GTR, the price of a fish sandwich at Captain D's, the way a fat woman shakes when her blood pressure starts to acting up......

If you don't sit here and bitch about Acuras...Good for you. We all tip our hats to you...no, not really. But if you wanted too, you could, because this is the Intranets.

As for the racing portion of your rant. Wrong. You can't race it or you will void the warranty. So until your warranty is in the red, it isn't fundamentally a racing car. It's just a large, fat, well performing garage squatter that can pull very impressive numbers if you want to risk losing coverage.

Oh and all the JDM people will goo and gah over you since you have a Skyline. Personally, I respect the car for what it is, a great automobile that does everything for you. But the person driving it gets none because they didn't build it. They didn't put time, effort, sweat, heart or anything into it. They basically went out and bought a factory car. But thats my opinion, may matter, probably doesn't.

And if you think it sucks, you haven't gone 0-60 in 3.5 seconds before. Because it's funnnnnnnnn. Drive a gt-r before you dis it.

You are right. It is fun. But it didn't cost me $72,000 to do it. It's obvious that you love the GTR. I applaud you, it is a marvelous car. Your opinions tell us you feel it in your blood. His on the other hand, do not. Embrace him for his difference of opinion, it's what makes cars evolve.

EJ25RUN
01-17-2009, 11:39 AM
i think they should have left it AWD... because a GTR isnt a GTR if its not awd.

but i guess for its purpose of D1 and other things its great. The R34 GTR had a full tranny upgrade similar to this one available for it aswell. I believe it was about 15-20k.

The 1st and 2nd GTRs were rwd. Remember that the GTR was brought back by Nissan in 1989 andt hey didn't have to name it a GTR. Kind of like the new ZR1 and Z06 could have had different names. A good name can give a car pedigree.

tron
01-17-2009, 11:40 AM
A proper gearbox would improve the GTR in my eyes immensely. RWD is cool, too, but I like AWD just as much for other reasons.

To NissanTuner, IMO you can't really drive a car unless it has 3 pedals. In
a stock GTR, you are just there for the ride.

:thinking:....wah?????

collins
01-17-2009, 11:48 AM
The gt-r is fundamentally a race car at a bargain..
no it isnt... stfu ya fuckin fanboy!

what good is a car that claims to do 0-60 in 3.5 yet if you USE WHAT THEY GAVE IT TO ACHIEVE THE TIME your warranty is voided if it breaks... WTF

they can keep that fuckin thing...

tron
01-17-2009, 11:56 AM

what good is a car that claims to do 0-60 in 3.5 yet if you USE WHAT THEY GAVE IT TO ACHIEVE THE TIME your warranty is voided if it breaks... WTF

:blah:....race cars don't have warranties :lmfao::lmfao:

nreggie454
01-17-2009, 12:04 PM
:thinking:....wah?????

NissanTuner said that AnthonyF needed to drive a GTR before he dissed it.

I am of the opinion that you aren't truly driving a car unless it has a proper gearbox. If it is an automatic or has the flappy paddles, then you can't really enjoy the car to its fullest. You are just riding along while the car does all the work.

AnthonyF
01-17-2009, 02:09 PM

Thank you for that drawn out and useless post. lolol

The R35 IS ugly.

The R34 CAN me made legal...jackass.

I might not of gone 0-60 in 3.5....but maybe 3.6-4.0 With 8.3L of N/A raw american muscle...that will ALWAYS be more satisfying that a wimpy 3.7L? TT... woopy doo.

Bye Bye Nissan Fanboy. Get your head out of your ass and have an open mind for a change.

-Ant.

RL...
01-17-2009, 02:13 PM

I am of the opinion that you aren't truly driving a car unless it has a proper gearbox. If it is an automatic or has the flappy paddles, then you can't really enjoy the car to its fullest. You are just riding along while the car does all the work.

I understand that a manual is a "true driver's gearbox" and whatnot, but to say that you aren't truly driving a car unless it's manual is dumb. A manual is more fun, I 100% agree with that.

But the ONLY difference between an auto and manual is who's shifting, the ecu, or you. I just don't understand how something as little as moving a stick around a couple inches up and down completely makes you "driving the car" but if you are in an auto you're just along for the ride.

All a manual enables one to do over an auto is to have control of when to shift. That's it. And in the case of the gt-r, the car would be slower with an hbox.

I'm assuming your car has no power anything, locks, windows, steering,, no abs, just the basic stuff with as little technology as possible because in not then your not driving it. You're just along for the ride, right?

AnthonyF
01-17-2009, 02:13 PM
Glides IS the man...end of thread. :goodjob: +15

-Ant.

RL...
01-17-2009, 02:16 PM
Thank you for that drawn out and useless post. lolol

The R35 IS ugly.

The R34 CAN me made legal...jackass.

I might not of gone 0-60 in 3.5....but maybe 3.6-4.0 With 8.3L of N/A raw american muscle...that will ALWAYS be more satisfying that a wimpy 3.7L? TT... woopy doo.

Bye Bye Nissan Fanboy. Get your head out of your ass and have an open mind for a change.

-Ant.

The r35 is sexy.:2cents:

The r34 CANNOT BE made FEDERALLY LEGAL in THIS country...DUMBASS Just because you see them and a few of them MIGHT be registered doesn't mean it's federally legal.:goodjob:

Just because an engine is smaller you think it's wimpy? How about the fact that nissans vq35hr engine puts out as much horses as a 07 stang's v8....Woopy doo indeed :lmfao: lol @ raw american muscle

Do you know the % of parts on so called american cars that are imported?......

RL...
01-17-2009, 02:18 PM

If you had a car company, and you made a performance car, would you warranty ppl taking that car to a track to abuse it? You'd lose a lot of money wouldn't you? Doesn't make much sense does it? STFU

alpine_aw11
01-17-2009, 02:21 PM
As cool as that is, I think it defies the point of the R35. That is how I would prefer it to have been in the first place, but it probably won't put the same numbers up without the AWD/tranny combo it came with. That's what made the car.

antiv6
01-17-2009, 02:31 PM
id like it better if it had a 6 speed (that wouldn't break or cost 20k to fix) and stayed awd.

Doppelgänger
01-17-2009, 02:37 PM
Still an ugly car. And yes, it is a valid point... many of us base a cars looks on what we choose to buy.

Oh, finally saw a 370Z in person... and Nissan managed to make something even UGLIER than the GT-R. No shit...it's a bloated Eclipse that tried to look like a old 280Z.

JITB
01-17-2009, 02:41 PM
The 1st and 2nd GTRs were rwd. Remember that the GTR was brought back by Nissan in 1989 andt hey didn't have to name it a GTR. Kind of like the new ZR1 and Z06 could have had different names. A good name can give a car pedigree.
oh yea i forgot about the older ones... but still a GTR comes to mind first thing u think is AWD...and TURBO.

JITB
01-17-2009, 02:47 PM
As for the racing portion of your rant. Wrong. You can't race it or you will void the warranty. So until your warranty is in the red, it isn't fundamentally a racing car. It's just a large, fat, well performing garage squatter that can pull very impressive numbers if you want to risk losing coverage.

you can race it.. u just need to take in to be serviced after to keep the warranty from being voided. which is more than most companies, that wouldnt touch a car or even think about keeping a car in warranty that has been raced.

AnthonyF
01-17-2009, 03:07 PM

The r34 CANNOT BE made FEDERALLY LEGAL in THIS country...DUMBASS Just because you see them and a few of them MIGHT be registered doesn't mean it's federally legal.:goodjob:

Just because an engine is smaller you think it's wimpy? How about the fact that nissans vq35hr engine puts out as much horses as a 07 stang's v8....Woopy doo indeed :lmfao: lol @ raw american muscle

Do you know the % of parts on so called american cars that are imported?......

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL:lmfao::lmfao::lmfao::lmfao::lmfao: :lmfao:

LEGAL...IS.....LEGAL.

Umm..I was talking 8.3L american muscle...not 4.6. So your attempts to defeat me with your fanboyness were useless, much like your posts.

-Ant.

EJ25RUN
01-17-2009, 03:19 PM
Still an ugly car. And yes, it is a valid point... many of us base a cars looks on what we choose to buy.

Oh, finally saw a 370Z in person... and Nissan managed to make something even UGLIER than the GT-R. No shit...it's a bloated Eclipse that tried to look like a old 280Z.

Where did you see the 370Z? I't like to go see it for myself and see what's what.

JITB
01-17-2009, 03:25 PM
Where did you see the 370Z? I't like to go see it for myself and see what's what.

I saw one at the Conyers Nissan.. a few days ago.. a yellow at that. might be too far from you tho. I kind of like it in person.

EJ25RUN
01-17-2009, 03:28 PM
I saw one at the Conyers Nissan.. a few days ago.. a yellow at that. might be too far from you tho. I kind of like it in person.

Yeah, im not driving to conyers for that car.

speedminded
01-17-2009, 03:40 PM

I am of the opinion that you aren't truly driving a car unless it has a proper gearbox. If it is an automatic or has the flappy paddles, then you can't really enjoy the car to its fullest. You are just riding along while the car does all the work.The newer gearboxes are 100% manual transmissions with electro-hydraulically controlled slave cylinders. Instead of using the clutch pedal as a lever to engage or disengage the slave cylinder it's electronically automated with hydraulics. It's infinitely faster shifting than you can ever do manually with your foot, the computer can even blip the throttle on down shifts automating a precise rev match every single time. Like BMW's SMG II it's the exact same gearbox as the manual 6-spd, just has a box attached to the side that controls the slave cylinder. You can swap the clutch, flywheel, and pressure plate just like the normal 6-speed version.

Now the GT-R's GR6 DCT transmission took it a step further just like BMW DCG, it has two clutches in it, one to operate the odd gears then the other to operate the even gears. While one is driving the car the other clutch is being controlled by a computer anticipating the next shift, whether it be up or down with a precise engagement depending on the rpm's.

I've fought for years against the "manual" automatic transmissions, they are trash. It's an automatic transmission with the same 3,000 moving parts including a torque converter and everything that you can manually change gears on. That couldn't be any further from a drivers car. These tranmissions are completely different however as they are manual gear boxes with the engagement being automated.

OneSlow5pt0
01-17-2009, 04:00 PM
still in my eyes Z06 > GTR

all motor,less things to go wrong,good mpg and reliable.........what else could u want?

EJ25RUN
01-17-2009, 04:00 PM
The newer gearboxes are 100% manual transmissions with electro-hydraulically controlled slave cylinders. Instead of using the clutch pedal as a lever to engage or disengage the slave cylinder it's electronically automated with hydraulics. It's infinitely faster shifting than you can ever do manually with your foot, the computer can even blip the throttle on down shifts automating a precise rev match every single time. Like BMW's SMG II it's the exact same gearbox as the manual 6-spd, just has a box attached to the side that controls the slave cylinder. You can swap the clutch, flywheel, and pressure plate just like the normal 6-speed version.

Now the GT-R's GR6 DCT transmission took it a step further just like BMW DCG, it has two clutches in it, one to operate the odd gears then the other to operate the even gears. While one is driving the car the other clutch is being controlled by a computer anticipating the next shift, whether it be up or down with a precise engagement depending on the rpm's.

I've fought for years against the "manual" automatic transmissions, they are trash. It's an automatic transmission with the same 3,000 moving parts including a torque converter and everything that you can manually change gears on. That couldn't be any further from a drivers car. These tranmissions are completely different however as they are manual gear boxes with the engagement being automated.

Good and correct info but what he was getting at wasn't how the thing works.

If you were a race driver, you'd obviously want some transmission where would be doing as little work as possible just to get that extra tenth.

On the street, this is different. We don't race cars on the street (At least i don't); so the need to shift as fast as possible isn't necessary. Because of this, doing most of the work feels better. That is why i never see myself buying a car with anything but a manual with a foot operated clutch.

You have had some fine cars so you understand what i mean.

still in my eyes Z06 > GTR

all motor,less things to go wrong,good mpg and reliable.........what else could u want?

An interior that isn't pathetic.

OneSlow5pt0
01-17-2009, 04:03 PM
An interior that isn't pathetic.

well if thats the only thing holding the Z06 back,then im fine with that

speedminded
01-17-2009, 04:05 PM
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL:lmfao::lmfao::lmfao::lmfao::lmfao: :lmfao:

LEGAL...IS.....LEGAL.

Umm..I was talking 8.3L american muscle...not 4.6. So your attempts to defeat me with your fanboyness were useless, much like your posts.

-Ant.You can get anything registered, tagged, and insured by the state but they are still federally illegal and can be confiscated at any time by U.S. Customs and destroyed or deported. Doesn't matter where you live or how long you have had it. They are not approved by the EPA or DOT. Without federal papers the vehicle is 100% illegal. Just like the Porsche 959 was for nearly 2 decades until several wealthy celebrities spent YEARS and millions $$$ getting it taken off the government "can not be imported" list, the R34 GT-R is still one of them.

There were however a few R34 GT-R's illegally made federally legal by Motorex/RBmotoring by using the R33's crash data. A few slipped by, they were caught, and those few are technically legal even though as a whole the R34 is federally illegal. Fortunately for those few owners they weren't confiscated.

Running R34's have been both seized and crushed by U.S. Customs and sold as "Export Only" by the U.S. Treasury.

speedminded
01-17-2009, 04:18 PM
Good and correct info but what he was getting at wasn't how the thing works.

If you were a race driver, you'd obviously want some transmission where would be doing as little work as possible just to get that extra tenth.

On the street, this is different. We don't race cars on the street (At least i don't); so the need to shift as fast as possible isn't necessary. Because of this, doing most of the work feels better. That is why i never see myself buying a car with anything but a manual with a foot operated clutch.

You have had some fine cars so you understand what i mean.

An interior that isn't pathetic.It's not about the quickness as much as the smoothness. The team I crewed for raced 200whp honda's with slicks for 10 years and NEVER once broke an axle, I hear about people doing it on the street all the time. It's the smoothness that you want that normally means realiability and for a race car that leads to winning races. Also makes a daily driver car smooth but the performance and fuel economy of a manual. Automatic transmissions are heavy and expensive, have too much friction leading to less gas mileage, etc.

Granted Nissan has had issues with the launch control on the GT-R but it's an extremely harsh engagement. Heard with BMW's version you can completely destroy a new clutch with under 5 launch controlled launches. Instead of the clutch being the weakest link and giving out on the GT-R's its sounds like it's something in the gear box.

Glides
01-17-2009, 05:12 PM
I understand that a manual is a "true driver's gearbox" and whatnot, but to say that you aren't truly driving a car unless it's manual is dumb. A manual is more fun, I 100% agree with that.

But the ONLY difference between an auto and manual is who's shifting, the ecu, or you. I just don't understand how something as little as moving a stick around a couple inches up and down completely makes you "driving the car" but if you are in an auto you're just along for the ride.

All a manual enables one to do over an auto is to have control of when to shift. That's it. And in the case of the gt-r, the car would be slower with an hbox.

I'm assuming your car has no power anything, locks, windows, steering,, no abs, just the basic stuff with as little technology as possible because in not then your not driving it. You're just along for the ride, right?

No. The difference is not just who is shifting the gears. It's the entire driving experience. If you don't understand that, you are not a true driver.

Paddle shifters I would agree are faster than a manual gearbox. But the experience is not there. Many of the magazines that you quote have said the same thing. The GTR is TOO good. It takes away the experience of driving.

Not sure what you drive, or how old you are. But it looks to me like a 2000 Maxima. Maybe you haven't owned anything that gives you a good driving experience. But once you do, you will understand totally. Drive an old Z car, or an old 911. That will give you a better idea of what you are talking about. I've owned both and let me tell you, they are WAY more fun than driving an Automatic. And driving is about fun when you own a performance car, if you aren't having fun, sell it.

Glides
01-17-2009, 05:16 PM

Once again. Check out what you are spouting before you shout it. Once I go and get a VIN number, and the Sheriff inspects it. It's LEGAL. End of story. Federal, state, or even interstellar....it don't matter buddy. Once I get a tag and the VIN is logged. It's over.

AnthonyF
01-17-2009, 06:50 PM
Glides has spoken... end of thread.

-Ant.

EJ25RUN
01-17-2009, 06:53 PM
end of thread.

-Ant.

No. :slap:

redrumracer
01-18-2009, 01:33 AM
its ugly and ive never been a huge fan of skylines.

nreggie454
01-18-2009, 11:33 AM
Reps to EJ25RUN and Glides for seeing where I was coming from. The purpose of the thread wasn't to determine if a manual transmission would make the car perform better, but if it changed your opinion of the car.

I have known from the start that the GTR gearbox can shift faster and match revs better than I ever can, but I wouldn't enjoy driving it nearly as much as something with comparable specs and a driver operated clutch.

RL...
01-19-2009, 11:57 AM
Once again. Check out what you are spouting before you shout it. Once I go and get a VIN number, and the Sheriff inspects it. It's LEGAL. End of story. Federal, state, or even interstellar....it don't matter buddy. Once I get a tag and the VIN is logged. It's over.

not true.

RL...
01-19-2009, 12:08 PM
No. The difference is not just who is shifting the gears. It's the entire driving experience. If you don't understand that, you are not a true driver.

Paddle shifters I would agree are faster than a manual gearbox. But the experience is not there. Many of the magazines that you quote have said the same thing. The GTR is TOO good. It takes away the experience of driving.

Not sure what you drive, or how old you are. But it looks to me like a 2000 Maxima. Maybe you haven't owned anything that gives you a good driving experience. But once you do, you will understand totally. Drive an old Z car, or an old 911. That will give you a better idea of what you are talking about. I've owned both and let me tell you, they are WAY more fun than driving an Automatic. And driving is about fun when you own a performance car, if you aren't having fun, sell it.

I already agreed that a true manual is more fun. And I don't think a car can be too good.

With that said I don't think it hurts the enjoyability of the gt-r. BECAUSE THE ONLY DIFFERENCE is that instead of your hand moving a stick, it's moving a paddle shifter. So basically just because your right hand is on the steering wheel moving a lever instead of on a lever coming out of the center console the whole gt-r experience isn't fun?

I mean in either case you're making the gt-r down/upshift whenever you want. You have control. The only difference is that you don't use your left foot to push in a pedal.

So is it that you just like pushing a pedal in with your left foot, or do you just like having your right hand on a stick rather than a steering wheel

Because honestly, either way it seems a little silly. My point is that while I understand that a 6-speed is more fun than paddle shifting, the gt-r shouldn't be dismissed as unenjoyable nor not a drivers car.

nreggie454
01-20-2009, 05:55 PM
I already agreed that a true manual is more fun. And I don't think a car can be too good.

With that said I don't think it hurts the enjoyability of the gt-r. BECAUSE THE ONLY DIFFERENCE is that instead of your hand moving a stick, it's moving a paddle shifter. So basically just because your right hand is on the steering wheel moving a lever instead of on a lever coming out of the center console the whole gt-r experience isn't fun?

I mean in either case you're making the gt-r down/upshift whenever you want. You have control. The only difference is that you don't use your left foot to push in a pedal.

So is it that you just like pushing a pedal in with your left foot, or do you just like having your right hand on a stick rather than a steering wheel

Because honestly, either way it seems a little silly. My point is that while I understand that a 6-speed is more fun than paddle shifting, the gt-r shouldn't be dismissed as unenjoyable nor not a drivers car.

Dude. You cannot read. We never said the GTR experience wouldn't be fun, it just wouldn't be nearly as enjoyable as a car with a standard gearbox. Trust me, everyone who posted in this thread knows exactly what happens when you push the flappy paddles, so it isn't like we don't understand you.

Also, it isn't a driver's car. It might be a car for car enthusiasts (who can't drive for shit), but it isn't a driver's car.