PDA

View Full Version : US Air flight 1549 Crash lands in water - due to bird strike. ALL survive.

Atlblkz06
01-15-2009, 03:48 PM
News reports showing an Airbus A320 that flew out of New York's LaGuardia sinking in Hudson River. Good news, if there is such a thing: Airframe appears very intact and was floating on the water for a good amount of time. Lots of ferries and helicopters there - pictures of people on the wings.

TV reports say 146 passengers and 5 crew. Flight was en route to Charlotte and pilot reported hitting a "flock of geese" sources are saying - if he suffered birdstrikes on both engines, very likely to have to ditch the plane.

We don't know a lot: how quickly rescue boats and helicopters arrived and whether or not people on board were able to get out. From the looks of the TV pictures, they got a lot of boats and helicopters there.

Here's more gathered from wire services:

Joyce Cordero, a 60 Minutes producer who saw the airplane go down in the river, said she saw flotation devices open up as she watched with binoculars.

"We saw a few dozen people on the actual aircraft wing," she said on WABC-TV in New York, monitored over the Internet. "They made it out. Within a few minutes, we saw some rescue boats head over and help folks. In the next 15 minutes, it became a movie-like scene."

- No indications of terrorism activity.

One interesting note: The Hudson is on the other side of Manhattan from where this plane took off. That might suggest that they had to struggle with this aircraft OVER Manhattan, which would have been a potentially disastrous outcome.

Maybe the greatest job of flying a damaged aircraft since Souix City Iowa crash, where the plane had no hydraulic control? The pictures suggest the entire airframe is intact, which would give a really good chance of people getting off that plane OK.

Gov't officials now telling MSNBC that both engines got hit with birdstrikes.

http://a.abcnews.com/images/US/ap_plane_090115_mn.jpg

ShooterMcGavin
01-15-2009, 03:53 PM
just heard about this, love the passenger that said "I think everyone survived" :lmao:

tony
01-15-2009, 04:03 PM
Much respect to the Firemen and Coast Guard that was there to rescue them. With a bird strike theres not a whole lot you can do, an AWACS went down when I lived in Alaska for the same reason.

NewGen33
01-15-2009, 04:06 PM
Ya watching on Fox right now nobody dies just minor injuries. This was definitely a miracle. It make me nervous about doing ATC when I see stuff like this.

Elbow
01-15-2009, 04:07 PM
Damn...

BobbyFresco
01-15-2009, 04:09 PM
The pilots definitely did what they were trained to do. The plane seems to be intact for the most part.

Sledlude
01-15-2009, 04:16 PM
thats crazy! props to the crew

ISAtlanta300
01-15-2009, 04:17 PM
gawd damn... i can't imagine how COLD that water must be....

But glad everyone made it out okay... props to the pilot....

Nubz
01-15-2009, 04:18 PM
yeah the pilots definately saved lots of lives. stupid birds

PlatanoPower
01-15-2009, 04:32 PM
Kamikaze geese, the new era lol.
http://img389.imageshack.us/img389/2756/warng8.jpg

Atlblkz06
01-15-2009, 05:08 PM
Bird ingestion video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KhZwsYtNDE&feature=related

Princess12
01-15-2009, 05:18 PM
Glad everyone is ok... but how do you get an airplane out of river?

Dracc
01-15-2009, 05:22 PM
take it apart thats how you get it out of the river..

Princess12
01-15-2009, 05:25 PM
take it apart thats how you get it out of the river..

That makes sense...

Dracc
01-15-2009, 05:27 PM
That makes sense...

it will probably be cut into several sections .. and shipped to its final destination in the Grave yard in AZ or NV

NewGen33
01-15-2009, 05:45 PM
You secure straps to hoist it out with a crane then dismantle it to get it to the the necessary location via highway.

G.C
01-15-2009, 05:52 PM
I always thought if you crash in a airplane, you die. Now i can feel more comfortable in a airplane.

redrumracer
01-15-2009, 05:59 PM
barges and cranes, then you take it apart piece by piece, then reassemble it piece by piece and fly it again.

good job on part of the pilots.

redrumracer
01-15-2009, 06:01 PM
I always thought if you crash in a airplane, you die. Now i can feel more comfortable in a airplane.
airplane crashes are a lot more survivable than people think, as long as the plane can get down to the ground in one piece.

Dracc
01-15-2009, 06:16 PM
this wont fly again... already been told it wont.

Juggernaut
01-15-2009, 07:22 PM
Pilot just earned every penny he will ever be paid.

Dracc
01-15-2009, 07:26 PM
we got the audio from the control tower and he was calm about everything. ( pilot) he told the passengers to brace them selves for impact.. and radioed ahead for help... he deserves a raise for putting it down right instead of trying to make it bacc to the run way

Atlblkz06
01-15-2009, 08:04 PM
we got the audio from the control tower and he was calm about everything. ( pilot) he told the passengers to brace them selves for impact.. and radioed ahead for help... he deserves a raise for putting it down right instead of trying to make it bacc to the run way

If you listen to recordings of fatal impacts, you'll notice that they're always calm. They're professionals. There is an eerie calmness in the way they talk about catastrophic events.

They just took off recently and both the engines were toast. Trying to make it back to the runway with no engines at low altitude is suicide!

J-ROCK
01-15-2009, 11:36 PM
was watchin this on the news today! very lucky they landed the way they did or it wouldve turned out really bad

redrumracer
01-16-2009, 01:14 AM
If you listen to recordings of fatal impacts, you'll notice that they're always calm. They're professionals. Their is an eerie calmness in the way they talk about catastrophic events.

They just took off recently and both the engines were toast. Trying to make it back to the runway with no engines at low altitude is suicide!
aside from the fact i think you will end up something like 1/4 mile short of the runway if you try to turn around. or so my instructor told me.

Psycho
01-16-2009, 10:34 AM
Damnit, no matter where I go, I can't get away from this stupid media frenzy. Yeah, it's great that 150 people survived, and no one was hurt, blah blah blah. But the news is making way too big of a deal about this. I forsee someone making a crappy movie about this, with a couple cameos of some "B" list actors, in the near future.