PDA

View Full Version : Under Armour's intent to go Public

Danny
09-16-2005, 08:04 AM
Here is the other IPO i plan to get into. Annouced last month, more news should follow. Figured i would share this and the MasterCard thread, just incase someone is interested.

__________________________________________________ _

Updated: Aug. 26, 2005, 4:08 PM ET
Under Armour could offer up $100 million in stock

Like Phil Knight, who two decades before sold Nike shoes out of his car, Under Armour founder Kevin Plank's first warehouse in 1996 was also his trunk.

Plank, a former University of Maryland running back, sold $17,000 worth of his shirts that year.

Today, Under Armour, based in Baltimore, is a booming business, with net revenues surpassing $200 million last year. And Friday, the company declared its intention to go public by filing its registration with the Securities and Exchange Commission, seeking to sell as much as $100 million in common stock.

The filing offered the first glimpse into a company that has managed to thrive in an extremely competitive environment usually dominated by the goliaths of the industry, including Nike and Reebok, which attempted to stunt Under Armour's growth with their Dri-FIT and NFL Equipment lines, respectively.

Under Armour proved that moisture wicking or compression apparel could be sold not only to athletes, but also to the mass market. Sales of lightweight microfiber performance apparel are expected to top $500 million this year.

"Under Armour is no longer an up-and-coming brand," said Ben Sturner, president of Leverage Sports Agency, a New York-based sports marketing firm. "They have positioned themselves as a real player in the industry and in the eyes of consumers in only a few years' time."

The company also sells its product to teams in Major League Baseball, Major League Soccer and the National Hockey League, and has been the undergarment of choice to at least 700 Division I men's and women's college teams. The company's only official college relationship is with the University of Maryland football team. The company is now the third largest branded sports apparel company in the United States. It currently owns 7.5 percent of the market and is behind only Nike and adidas, according to Neil Schwartz of SportsScanINFO, a retail tracking firm.

Not only has the company branched into apparel specifically designed for the playing surface or season, it has also quickly expanded into other products branded with its now familiar interlocking "UA" logo, including wristbands, underwear, socks and gloves.

"It's a remarkable story to come into the market and do what they have been able to do," Schwartz said. "Every category that they have gone into, they have been successful."

Last year, the company branched out into making performance gloves. Schwartz says Under Armour now owns 30 percent of the market, behind only Nike, which maintains a 50 percent share.

"Their growth has been phenomenal," said Jeff Hennion, senior vice president and chief marketing officer of Dick's Sporting Goods, which carries Under Armour product in its 239 sports specialty stores throughout the U.S. "The UA logo now really means something to athletes and kids alike."

Thanks to developing a tactical line, one of its largest customers is now the Army and Air Force Exchange Service, a retailer that sells gear to military personnel and their families.

In the early going, Under Armour did very little advertising. Most of the buzz came from word of mouth and from fans who saw the logo on the clothes of America's most famous athletes. The company eventually signed endorsers, who now include NFL players LaVar Arrington, Jonathan Vilma and Eric Ogbogu, Texas Rangers second baseman Alfonso Soriano, women's soccer star Heather Mitts and tennis player Robby Ginepri.

Under Armour also advertised cheaply by taking advantage of product placement opportunities in movies. Its big break came in the 1999 Oliver Stone movie "Any Given Sunday." When it was discovered the movie had a significant impact on sales, Under Armour became the gear of choice in movies ranging from "The Replacements" to "Dodgeball." The company received more exposure by outfitting the Cougars in the ESPN miniseries "Playmakers" two years ago.

It wasn't until August 2002 that the company unveiled its first television commercial. Its subsequent campaign, featuring the "We Must Protect This House," tagline, was widely acclaimed and earned the company an ADDY Award given by the American Advertising Federation.

Under Armour has only 535 employees in the United States, compared to Nike's 12,000, but the company continues to push the envelope. Tired of having to put its tight-fitting performance gear on non-athletic mannequins, the company made its own -- using Ogbogu and Mitts as models -- and shipped them to retailers so that its gear could be modeled more accurately. Under Armour products are now in 8,000 stores, up from the 500 retailers that carried the brand five years ago. The company's heavy reliance on online sales differentiates it from the traditional market leaders and reduces costs.

Under Armour plans to battle Nike head on next year when it unveils its line of cleats.

Darren Rovell, who covers sports business for ESPN.com, can be reached at [email protected].

AznTraitor
09-16-2005, 09:00 AM
holy crap...that'll be some good news.....I'll definately be on the look out for this one.....

currently they are issuing the UA shirts to Rangers and some flight crews....but if they hit all enlisted, holy shit! that's gonna be one big order!

thanks for the heads up.

Danny
09-16-2005, 10:48 AM
i think it was that PR i posted above or another one, but they are introducin a cleat line next year. that will be good also.

Danny
09-16-2005, 01:50 PM
22 views, 1 reply. not many people around here like to make money huh?

AznTraitor
09-16-2005, 01:54 PM
22 views, 1 reply. not many people around here like to make money huh?

I like money :)

Danny
09-16-2005, 03:28 PM
we are the only two. lol

Twinturbo6
09-17-2005, 05:55 AM
My unit issues them, but if i told you what we really do I would have to kill you...LOL... And the are already issued with flight gear out here.

SwiftGTiRacer
09-17-2005, 10:32 AM
you guys get this stuff issued... in the words of Napolean D -> LUCKY!

Swifty

HEATON
09-17-2005, 02:41 PM
Yea last year my winter issue was the only Christmas i got. but WOW Gortex makes some nice stuff, and this summer we got 'Camel Backs.'

HyPer50
09-17-2005, 05:37 PM
I didn't realize UA was it's own company, I figured it was a branch off of Reebok or Nike. Anyways, I love the heatgear shirts tho.

AznTraitor
09-17-2005, 08:20 PM
you guys get this stuff issued... in the words of Napolean D -> LUCKY!

Swifty

have you gotten issued your new uniforms yet??

how about you. heaton?

I have like 3 UA under shirts now.

and I got a 2 camelbak thermobak's....one is all black and the other is coyote...which is like desert camo.

HEATON
09-18-2005, 02:42 AM
Naw im Air Force, so we dont get ACU's our new uniform will be out soon though, its real nice and alot more useful. They are gonn be called Airman Battle Uniforms i believel. and well heres a pic. Its similar to the ACU but with a extra shade, pixelated and more of a tiger stripe. BTW CMSgtAF Murray (guy in pic) is really a great guy! Met him in basic and he was the one that presented us our coins. http://www.af.mil/media/photodb/photos/041108-F-0000W-003.jpg

SwiftGTiRacer
09-18-2005, 11:00 AM
i haven't gotten any new uniforms yet. I've never seen anyone walk around in one. Tucking in the BDU top is horrible! i hate the new uniforms! Sued boots aren't a good idea either. They also plan on them being our DCU's also. I only got 1 year left so i don't plan on buying any new uniforms. I hate it enough that i got to buy the new PT uniforms.

Swifty

92sib18c1
09-18-2005, 01:00 PM
So, money talks. How do I buy IPO? I heard only selected people get to buy IPO. I have account with Sharebuilder.

HEATON
09-18-2005, 04:43 PM
i haven't gotten any new uniforms yet. I've never seen anyone walk around in one. Tucking in the BDU top is horrible! i hate the new uniforms! Sued boots aren't a good idea either. They also plan on them being our DCU's also. I only got 1 year left so i don't plan on buying any new uniforms. I hate it enough that i got to buy the new PT uniforms.

Swifty

SWIFTY u AF or Army? lol im a lil confused on which you have seen bc the ABU isnt totally out yet, only reaosn CMSgtAF is wearin them bc well he is the man. Ive seen the ACUs alot, but thats just bc of my location. YES they are the new DCUs for ARMY, Pretty much how the ABU will be for the AF. Tucking in the BDU top isnt too bad, bc its totally a different material, and the Brittish do it also. Sued boots are dont mostly bc they wont be shined anymore jus how the uniform will not be press anymore, its a "wash and wear" fabric. Also Sued is what is best for Downrange so thats what its all geared towards now. I even see Army wearing the brown sued with their BDUs so i understand that is their new standard as well.

SwiftGTiRacer
09-19-2005, 12:14 AM
I'm AF. I like the shirt untucked. I think it looks better. The Koreans tuck in thier top also. I don't like the fact that its wash and wear also. I think people look better in uniform with shinned boots and a pressed uniform. Just looks good. As far as battle ready, they uniform is great. I hate the fact that its going to replace our DCU's also. This means we are all going to go broke buying uniforms and etc. cause you know how long a uniform last when your in the dessert.

Swifty

HEATON
09-19-2005, 04:18 AM
Well the thing is now the AF is bein a more of a Expidetionary force and "always ready" So if we ned to deply in a 24 hours notice we dont have to wiat in long lines at issue and can jus get the Documents we need and go. I myself ( a black rope from tech school) love a nice uniform but ppl get way over head and start to hairspray it and glue them and leather luster which pushes the limits, and another arguemtn is it takes away too much time to do that all, and saves alot of money. The Air Force Times did a BIG article on it with a full description a few months ago. Its gonn be nice once we get them. but speakin of PT uniform, the clothing allowance now will be more to cover the higher cost to include shoes.

Danny
11-17-2005, 10:27 AM
IPO is tomorrow!!! symbol is UARM, trading on NASDAQ exchange. GLTA, im in at the bell. thats for sure!!!

Ronv350z
11-17-2005, 12:18 PM
I am in on it thanks for the hook up

Danny
11-17-2005, 12:29 PM
DO YOUR OWN DD.... dont come blaming me if it tanks..lol i am in on it, inless i got a better play for tomorrow.

Ronv350z
11-17-2005, 12:44 PM
DO YOUR OWN DD.... dont come blaming me if it tanks..lol i am in on it, inless i got a better play for tomorrow.
hahahahaha i used to do only IPO's but since it the market tanked i been quitely looking. I might which it to see how it does in the early part of the morning and if it looks good I jump on it.

Danny
11-17-2005, 01:56 PM
im gonna hit in on bell probably... In another play today, have to see how that goes. GL

Danny
11-18-2005, 09:59 AM
Under Armour protects IPO rally
Athletic clothier prices atop increased range

By Steve Gelsi, MarketWatch
Last Update: 11/18/2005 10:19:41 AM Data provided by

NEW YORK (MarketWatch) -- Under Armour sparkled for its stock market debut Friday as the athletic clothier finished out the week as the third IPO to price atop its increased range.

Under Armour (UARM) priced its initial public offering at $13 a share, above its already increased range of $10-$12 a share, for its stock market debut.

The IPO consists of 12.1 million shares with proceeds of $157 million with underwriter Goldman Sachs (GS).

The Baltimore athletic clothing brand is selling 9.5 million shares in the deal, with the remaining 2.6 million shares being sold by stockholders.

Renaissance Capital, which runs a fund for IPOs, lauded Under Armour's "well-known brand and strong prospects for growth in the athletic- and consumer-apparel markets." See full story.

The IPO market has been receptive to clothing brands, with Volcom (VLCM) seeing healthy gains this year. Maidenform (MFB) saw a robust debut earlier this year, fell to $11 and has been recovering of late.

Under Armour's pricing comes after IntercontinentalExchange (ICE) and SunPower (SPWR) priced atop their increased ranges earlier this week.

Overall market conditions are favorable as well on Friday, as stocks rallied on falling oil prices and merger deals. See full story.

Amerisafe IPO debuts

Workers' compensation insurer Amerisafe Inc. (AMSF) priced its initial public offer of 8 million shares at $9 a share.

The company, to be traded on the Nasdaq National Market, said its underwriters are entitled to sell up to 1.2 million more shares to cover over-allotments.

Amerisafe priced below its $9-$11 a share price range, but the DeRidder, La. firm still raised $72 million in the IPO.

Danny
11-18-2005, 10:01 AM
IPO 11:00-11:20 from one of my sources, not sure where he got this DD from. I am hitting this soon as it starts trading. I know several groups are gonna push her like crazy, soo be careful, i wouldnt hold this more than a day or two. WATCH THE CHARTS!!!!

Danny
11-18-2005, 10:08 AM
L2s ARE FREAKING CRAZY!!! GOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Danny
11-21-2005, 10:30 AM
Seeing green today :D we past the 10:30 dip fairly well, lets see how the lunch time dip goes :) hopfully all the long timers will buy in today :D

ahmonrah
11-21-2005, 11:04 PM
opened up an account so i can get with this. i'm already invested with a couple companies so i'll see how this goes. i'm pissed that i had passed up on the mindspring back in the day when the offer was brought to me initially. but hey i was in highschool at the time.