PDA

View Full Version : How stupid can you get...

dtmcnamara
01-13-2009, 05:23 PM
Ok so I called this guy a few minutes ago about a laptop from craigslist for my parents. Its a older HP, nothing special just something for them to bring to the cabin so my dad can check the weather and email.

Well I call the guy today and am talking to him about it and the guy says it has Vista Home SP2 on it and that it cannot be upgraded to SP3...I was like ummmm, why can it not be updated and he straight up said that the OS on it was cracked and that if I updated it that it would no work...

I mean come on...

lol

XLR8NMR2
01-13-2009, 05:25 PM
it wouldn't work though im confused where is the stupidness?

dtmcnamara
01-13-2009, 05:26 PM
why would you admit to stealing the OS thats on your computer....

Seriously...

I guess I cannot blame him for being honest

TheProfiteer
01-13-2009, 05:29 PM
lol cracked OSes are the way to go, fuck I refuse to contribute a single cent to that god damn Microsoft cow.

by the way I got a lap top for sale pretty cheap, $175 bucks, its a 1.2ghz PIII, 256mb of ram, brand new 80 gig hard drive, the ram stick is also brand new, its in pretty good shap cosmetically as well, runs Windows XP flawlessly unless you are trying to watch HD or play games. (which it will not do cause its so old) let me know man, its a great laptop been using it for school for the last 2 years. (replaced the harddrive and ram about 3 months ago because they both failed)

also they laptop is very modular and very very easy to work on.

oh will also throw in my wireless card for free since I will not need it anymore.

STRteg
01-13-2009, 05:32 PM
Yeah cracked OS is better anyways and if you get the right install package like i have you can continue getting updates :D

dtmcnamara
01-13-2009, 05:33 PM
humm. let me talk to the parents. they told me to keep an eye out so thats pretty much a sign that they want to buy pretty soon...

Im not against cracked OS's, just dont openly admit that its stolen, what if I was the MS FUZZ ?

TheProfiteer
01-13-2009, 05:35 PM
I also live pretty damn close to you man, I can meet up with you tonight after I get out of class so you can see it, I am actually using it right now on campus.

Hit me up if interested, I am bout to PM you my #

STRteg
01-13-2009, 05:35 PM
humm. let me talk to the parents. they told me to keep an eye out so thats pretty much a sign that they want to buy pretty soon...

Im not against cracked OS's, just dont openly admit that its stolen, what if I was the MS FUZZ ?

lol yeah but i mean you cant be upset if anything be like yo thats whats up for letting me know you know?he tellin you the truth which means rock SP2 for email and weather fuk the upgrade and enjoy the cabin :goodjob:

dtmcnamara
01-13-2009, 05:37 PM
I also live pretty damn close to you man, I can meet up with you tonight after I get out of class so you can see it, I am actually using it right now on campus.

Hit me up if interested, I am bout to PM you my #

what school are you at?

JDMJAYDC2
01-13-2009, 06:00 PM
is buying electronics from craigslist safe tho?? i have always been turned off from doing so as you dont have a open forum to call someone out if they sold you some crap like you do here on ia. i would be afraid the laptop would work when i meet up with them and then not work when i get home or something

STRteg
01-13-2009, 06:02 PM
is buying electronics from craigslist safe tho?? i have always been turned off from doing so as you dont have a open forum to call someone out if they sold you some crap like you do here on ia. i would be afraid the laptop would work when i meet up with them and then not work when i get home or something

Ive bought electronics from CL before and never had any problems just make sure you check the product really well when meeting up and make sure everything works and functions properly

ironchef
01-13-2009, 06:04 PM
Why would MS sit on Craiglists scouring for shitty laptops that might have cracked os's, I think they have better things to do.

STRteg
01-13-2009, 06:06 PM
Why would MS sit on Craiglists scouring for shitty laptops that might have cracked os's, I think they have better things to do.

yeah like collect $1,000,000,000,000 every minute bastards..

ironchef
01-13-2009, 06:09 PM
Why do people shit on Microsoft? I'd challenge you to come up with a better o/s and change the world of technology. Oh wait you can't, you're some scrub on IA....

redrumracer
01-13-2009, 06:11 PM
i dont have a problem with microsoft myself.

STRteg
01-13-2009, 06:15 PM
Why do people shit on Microsoft? I'd challenge you to come up with a better o/s and change the world of technology. Oh wait you can't, you're some scrub on IA....

1.I hate on major multi billion dollar companies because i am not the owner and can only wish to be so lucky one day

2.I would rather be :idb: than sitting in front of a comp for 5 years designing a world revolutionary os - that was just lame for you to even consider to say to me yet alone say it

3.Im a scrub on IA? you dont even know me or shit about me and at the end of the day your :2cents: was a waste of everyones time

but hey its been real nice having you here today dont forget to check out the gift store on your way out :cheers:

STRteg
01-13-2009, 06:17 PM
i dont have a problem with microsoft myself.

Yeah i dont either i think they are pretty decent in what they do i mean they have flaws just like anything else in this world i just hate them because they have more money than a "LITTLE IA SCRUB LIKE ME"

:lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao:

ironchef
01-13-2009, 06:21 PM
1.I hate on major multi billion dollar companies because i am not the owner and can only wish to be so lucky one day

2.I would rather be :idb: than sitting in front of a comp for 5 years designing a world revolutionary os - that was just lame for you to even consider to say to me yet alone say it

3.Im a scrub on IA? you dont even know me or shit about me and at the end of the day your :2cents: was a waste of everyones time

but hey its been real nice having you here today dont forget to check out the gift store on your way out :cheers:LOL, you're not even worth it.

STRteg
01-13-2009, 06:23 PM
LOL, you're not even worth it.

pwnd - just walk away :gay:

ironchef
01-13-2009, 06:27 PM
Pwned by what? Some fucking moron who is jealous he can't accomplish shit in life, so he tries to shit on others to make himself feel better? Get over yourself tough guy.

STRteg
01-13-2009, 06:35 PM
Pwned by what? Some fucking moron who is jealous he can't accomplish shit in life, so he tries to shit on others to make himself feel better? Get over yourself tough guy.

No pwnd by your own ignorance and thinking that your voice through words on a computer screen mean shit to anyone,or that anybody would give 2 fuks about what you have to say.Oh im sorry did my statement make you feel shitted on? my apologies seeing as i dont take whats said by "IA SCRUBS" very seriously because i have a good life and get laid on the reg so unlike you i dont take the words of others to heart and then come to the conclusion that they have shitted on me and are trying to make themselves feel better.You should really get that self esteem looked at......(We dont need an IA columbine) Oh but i take pride in my awesome "IA SCRUB" tough guy standing :thinking: though i am unclear how i can be both i'll let you hold this torch :rolleyes:

green91
01-13-2009, 06:43 PM

I know youre jab wasn't towards me but this line does amuse me. Microsoft quite honestly hasn't come up with many original ideas. Their ms-dos system was based on text based *nix and mainframe systems of its time. Their GUI was largely copied from macintosh who bought their interface from xerox and they also copied large amounts from the x windows system. Even today they steal styling ques from os x's gui and publicly available themes for gnome and kde and other xfree86 wm's. Guess where their multi-user server ideas were derived from? Unix. File permissions, indexing systems etc were mostly unix derived.

The only credit im willing to give microsoft is making desktops mainstream. They did a remarkable job of working with vendors to get shipped on OEM pcs as well as piecing parts of alot of people's work together to make a useable o/s.

JDMJAYDC2
01-13-2009, 06:44 PM
microsoft bump lol
*grabs popcorn*

keevo54
01-13-2009, 06:50 PM
lol why the fuck r u complaining. thank the guy for being honest with ya and move on

STRteg
01-13-2009, 06:51 PM
lol why the fuck r u complaining. thank the guy for being honest with ya and move on

exactly :yes: :cheers:

Nismo
01-13-2009, 06:53 PM
I know youre jab wasn't towards me but this line does amuse me. Microsoft quite honestly hasn't come up with many original ideas. Their ms-dos system was based on text based *nix and mainframe systems of its time. Their GUI was largely copied from macintosh who bought their interface from xerox and they also copied large amounts from the x windows system. Even today they steal styling ques from os x's gui and publicly available themes for gnome and kde and other xfree86 wm's. Guess where their multi-user server ideas were derived from? Unix. File permissions, indexing systems etc were mostly unix derived.

The only credit im willing to give microsoft is making desktops mainstream. They did a remarkable job of working with vendors to get shipped on OEM pcs as well as piecing parts of alot of people's work together to make a useable o/s.

OH SNAP! Someone can work wikipedia!

ironchef
01-13-2009, 06:54 PM

The only credit im willing to give microsoft is making desktops mainstream. They did a remarkable job of working with vendors to get shipped on OEM pcs as well as piecing parts of alot of people's work together to make a useable o/s.Oh I totally agree with you, definitely not going to take away credit from Apple, Xerox, etc. Never the less they still did a wonderful job, and essentially transformed the world.

green91
01-13-2009, 06:58 PM
OH SNAP! Someone can work wikipedia!

Not really, just an avid *nix user who can easily see what mainstream america doesn't.

TheProfiteer
01-13-2009, 08:08 PM

This is why microsoft is shit!

Windows Vista = Beta Test for Windows 7

Beta Tests are either open or closed, either way they are supposed to be FREE!

Microsoft has been selling Vista for the last 3 years now, advertising it as a complete and fully functional OS. Which it was not, up untill SP2, which came out only months before Windows 7. Als attaches to that OS several root key applications that monitor your activities, which then Microsoft gathers and uses at statistical and marketing purposes. (which generates for them a massive profit.)

Ok so releasing a broken OS beta test and charging people upward $120 for it. Collecting usage, hardware, and browsing data of individuals with out authorization= VERY SHADY BUSINESS PRACTICES.

Now considering Microsoft owns almost 90% of the market shares in the home user demographic, makes them almost a complete monopoly.

Monopoly+Shade Business Eithics+No Respect for the Consumer=Win For Microsoft

but FAIL for the end user.

ironchef
01-13-2009, 08:22 PM
You could use Linux if you wanted to, no one forces you to use Windows.

Also they own so much of the market because they don't have a competitor. Apple is a real niche player, so they're not much of a competitor.

A lot of people never had any problems with Vista, I can't say I'm one of them, but it being a terrible O/S wasn't experienced by everyone.

You consent to the data collection when you accept the End User License Agreement, so there's nothing shady about that.