PDA

View Full Version : remove wrist pins from pistons

dougatl12
01-12-2009, 08:05 AM
does anyone know how to remove wrist pins from the pistons of a b16 or does it need to go the machine shop thanks in advance

jmmx258
01-12-2009, 08:19 AM
They're press fit into the rods. So, you could either pay to have them pressed out, and pressed back in, or you can do it the way I did.

I used a hammer and a socket and drove them out.

I used a propane torch, with a wide flame and heated the rod up, not red, not turning it colors, just make sure its fairly hot.

While I did all this, I left the new wrist pin in the freezer. I put the piston on the bench, with about 1/8" washer to keep the wrist pin from going all the way through. The wrist pin floats in the piston, so you'll want to keep it as centered as possible in the rod.

Mines together, boosted and runs great.

xdavidscenex
01-12-2009, 08:44 AM
use a grinder.:gay:

Barefoot
01-12-2009, 06:16 PM
take it to a machine shop it cost like 5 bux per piston/rod set.

jmmx258
01-12-2009, 06:22 PM
Unlikely at 40+ an hour. You get set up, then the time for pressing each one.

Most people get big time sticker shock, going into a shop and they quote them a price for something so simple.

Most places will charge you for an hours rate reguardless of it taking less than an hour. Set up, work done, press out, press in, clean up, etc...

BTEC
01-12-2009, 06:31 PM
take it to a machine shop it cost like 5 bux per piston/rod set.
X2. i dnt trust the socket and hammer thing bc u run the risk of possly bending the rod.

Annihilation
01-12-2009, 06:48 PM

Most people get big time sticker shock, going into a shop and they quote them a price for something so simple.

Most places will charge you for an hours rate reguardless of it taking less than an hour. Set up, work done, press out, press in, clean up, etc...

Yea its only $5-10 each , know your machine shop and know their prices before you get work done . If you dont ask the final price before you have the work done, then its your own fault... if you want it done right, goto the right shop; then you dont have to worry

jmmx258
01-12-2009, 08:52 PM
You'll only bend the rod if you hold the rod by the bottom while you drive the pins out.

If you rest the piston on a pipe, or a deep well socket, you will not bend the rod because you are applying force in the same area rather than on the rod shaft.

I built and balanced my motor myself. I checked my rods on a marble table, with mics after removing my pistons. They were still straight. There's really no force required to put the pins back in if you do it the same way I did.

Vteckidd
01-12-2009, 08:56 PM
most of the time the pistons will crack when removing them, id just buy a new set IMO

jmmx258
01-12-2009, 09:05 PM
Mine surprisingly didn't crack. I had a lean burn from playing around to much with my tune because it was getting close to winter and I was putting it way. I burnt a hole in the top of one of the slugs.

So, i forced my winter rebuild to come a couple weeks early lol

All the old pistons came off the rods w/out cracking, and all my rods are still in spec. Granted they only have about 400 miles on them lol

Barefoot
01-13-2009, 07:00 AM

Most places will charge you for an hours rate reguardless of it taking less than an hour. Set up, work done, press out, press in, clean up, etc...i have had it done at 4 or 5 machine shops never spend more than $40 and i thought that was a rip off.

jmmx258
01-13-2009, 08:45 AM
I was quoted at 60+ at several shops around here, in turn I opted to do it myself.

AnthonyF
01-13-2009, 08:55 AM
Let a professional do it. Period.

-Ant.

AnthonyF
01-13-2009, 08:56 AM
I was quoted at 60+ at several shops around here, in turn I opted to do it myself.

I took mine to...Proline I believe and was only charged 20 bucks for 6 pistons. remove and mount.

-Ant.

jmmx258
01-13-2009, 10:44 AM
Must be nice, shops up here are a little more expensive.

Init2winit
01-13-2009, 07:21 PM
Mine surprisingly didn't crack. I had a lean burn from playing around to much with my tune because it was getting close to winter and I was putting it way. I burnt a hole in the top of one of the slugs.

So, i forced my winter rebuild to come a couple weeks early lol

All the old pistons came off the rods w/out cracking, and all my rods are still in spec. Granted they only have about 400 miles on them lolThat wasn't lean, that was too much timing.

redrumracer
01-13-2009, 07:32 PM
last time i had this done they charged per piston/rod combo. it was like $10 each

RickyBobbyV6
01-15-2009, 08:14 AM
if you put pistons and rods back together with a torch and dont have any experiance then you should probly get a machine shop to do it, you have a good chance of ruining your rods with to much heat so the pins wont be tight in the rods and the pins will get loose and scar up your cylinder walls, i work at Collins Machine shop in griffin, we can take them off and put them back on for $30