PDA

View Full Version : Battery keeps dying!!!

bowdown201
01-12-2009, 07:53 AM
I'm on my second battery in probably a month ina half and today I tried cranking the car and the battery was almost completely dead. Why does it keep doing this? Bad alternator maybe?

boosted b
01-12-2009, 07:59 AM
have the alternator checked and make sure theirs nothing that is stayin on that could keep pullin power

RWD164
01-12-2009, 08:15 AM
Check the belt tension to the alternator. If it is too loose it can turn off the "Charge Warning" Light without acutally rechargeing the battery.

Motivation
01-12-2009, 08:17 AM
Alt... Or something is draining it.

Charge battery and take terminal off, see if it runs with out the battery connected. This will give you a good indication if it is the alt. or not.

jmmx258
01-12-2009, 08:54 AM
Open your damn fuse box and change the fuse. There's a fuse that turns the power on for the ALT when it goes bad, the alt don't work. Fuses like anything else, can go bad in time.

If its not the fuse, then look for a draw lol

K20Z1
01-12-2009, 09:06 AM
I think its your alternator, replace it

jmmx258
01-12-2009, 09:09 AM
I think its your alternator, replace it
I think your an idiot :)

Bowdown, check all the cheap fixes before you go and spend a bunch of money in places you don't need to.

Jecht
01-12-2009, 09:54 AM
Check the alternator like Motivation suggested and if that isn't the problem start looking for things that are staying on and draining power when the car isn't running.

j0natell0
01-12-2009, 11:26 AM

Charge battery and take terminal off, see if it runs with out the battery connected. This will give you a good indication if it is the alt. or not.

x2 :goodjob:

blackyellrx7
01-12-2009, 12:17 PM
alt. or you have something on some kind of light that u dont see so,ewere stays on all the time

Tech5
01-12-2009, 12:20 PM
I'm on my second battery in probably a month ina half and today I tried cranking the car and the battery was almost completely dead. Why does it keep doing this? Bad alternator maybe?
No doesnt sound like a Alternator problem, but wouldnt hurt to throw a test while the battery is new or fully charged...But either something staying on ,which you can't say' no lights, everything is off, you have to test it with test light,an wiring.But also could be a bad ignition switch, you would have to turn the key off an take a test light to the main hot wire on the switch an see if its shutting down or not....Also the ECU sends a signal to the alternator to tell it to charge that the wiring , or ecu could be bad but saying its the ECU is the last thing , try everything else first

Hope this helps homie, If not I have other things I can do just lmk

Tech5
01-12-2009, 12:25 PM

x2 :goodjob:

This doesnt work all times this is a OLD trick back in the 60's-70's before they came out with computer controlled ECU's!

Lots of this new technology ECU's they will keep the car running even if the battery is out of the car!

bowdown201
01-12-2009, 01:25 PM
well i exchanged the battery and it runs fine with both negative and positive cables off the battery. alternater belt is good and snug. I know this may sound dumb but ive always kept a phone charger hooked up but didnt think nothing about it cause it shouldnt be drawing power if the ignition is off right. also my dome light will work sometimes and sometimes it wont like theres a short somewhere, but when i had the jumper cables on it it worked this morning. could there be potential problems there?

Tech5
01-12-2009, 01:31 PM
DUH!
could be the charger an the dome light

take the charger out leave it out,
and take the dome light bulb out an leave it out also and see what happens

bowdown201
01-12-2009, 01:36 PM
cool. I pretty much figured it wasnt the alternater cause with a full charged battery it cranks fine. Just think something is draining it.

Tech5
01-12-2009, 01:41 PM
cool. I pretty much figured it wasnt the alternater cause with a full charged battery it cranks fine. Just think something is draining it.
well even if it was your alternator it will crank an run fine with a new or charged battery until it gets under 11.50 volts then it starts draining more with lights,radio,heat,a/c etc an then start to run shitty then not run at all!

Black4DrEK
01-12-2009, 01:57 PM
something is draining my car too bro.. sux man .. hope we BOTH figure it out!!!!

G.C
01-12-2009, 03:03 PM

Dude that makes no sense. The car will run if the battery is fully charged. Alternator charges the battery. If its not charging it, then the battery will die like you said.

Barefoot
01-12-2009, 06:24 PM
yall sound like a bunch of caddy bitches. who mined u dont know shit. if u think im talkin about u then i must be.

only piece of good info in this thread.

yunglaosta
01-12-2009, 07:28 PM
probaly not getting enough ground somewhere (saw it happen to a passport). if the altenators da problem then when u crank ur car and drive, the car will turn off on u while u drive.

jmmx258
01-12-2009, 09:11 PM
I've read this posted here atleast 5 times on civics, I fixed my own, and 2 of my friends, and my info fixed the threads on here. Look in the fuse box, and check the damn fuses.

I'm not arguing that it could be the alt. but a fuse is a hell of a lot easier to change, if thats the problem.

When my fuse blew i bought a new alt, and went through about 4 batteries before I figured it out. Don't take that route.

If it helps, my lights kind of flickered as the battery was dying, I would only get about a days worth of driving out of a brand new battery.

bowdown201
01-13-2009, 05:49 AM
well what fuse are you talking about?

jmmx258
01-13-2009, 10:40 AM
Its in the box under the dash. I dont know what number it is. Just look on your little card and figure it out. If you don't have it, you'll have to pull them until you find the burnt one, if you don't find one, sorry I wasted your time, but if you do, atleast you didn't waste a bunch of money

yunglaosta
01-13-2009, 11:10 AM
Its in the box under the dash. I dont know what number it is. Just look on your little card and figure it out. If you don't have it, you'll have to pull them until you find the burnt one, if you don't find one, sorry I wasted your time, but if you do, atleast you didn't waste a bunch of money

or u can use da thing that checks if its burnt or not (i cant think of what its called right now) its da thing where u use the metal part to clip on ur car to see which fuse is burnt or not :thinking:

jmmx258
01-13-2009, 12:03 PM
You can use an OHM's meter. Make sure the car power is off, and set it to check continuity. Then just put each wire on each side of the fuse. If it beeps like hell, it's good.

Tech5
01-13-2009, 12:19 PM
Why not use a test light?

DUH!

Oh an BTW if the fuse was blown it would turn the battery light ON!

jmmx258
01-13-2009, 12:29 PM
Really hmm? Mine never turned on, odd huh?? I'm speaking from experience, with my own car, my g/fs car, a friend of mines car (last week) And several Gen. Tech posts since i've been a member.

A test light is a pain in the ass. OHM's meter is easier IMO. One wire on each side of the fuse, rather than check one side, then the other. Then forget if you checked both side, blah blah.

Tech5
01-13-2009, 12:44 PM
Sorry, to bust your bubble but I don't know this from just working on my car,g/f's car, nor friend of mines car...

Btw most cars will trip the battery light due to lack of signal from ECU due to blown fuse.

Also it is easier to use a test light an watch the testlight light up, then trying to fit under the dash holding 2 probes trying to watch the meter for continuity... IMO

Motivation
01-13-2009, 12:50 PM
Sorry, to bust your bubble but I don't know this from just working on my car,g/f's car, nor friend of mines car...

Btw most cars will trip the battery light due to lack of signal from ECU due to blown fuse.

Also it is easier to use a test light an watch the testlight light up, then trying to fit under the dash holding 2 probes trying to watch the meter for continuity... IMO

What are you talking about? From what I have heard you have never worked or built a car yourself. And you have DEFINATELY never been around Hondas. :ninja: lol

Oh and x2 on the highlighted part of quote.

jmmx258
01-13-2009, 12:50 PM
As I said, I'm just speaking from experience with several incidents. Now that I think about it, mine did throw a light, however, the 92-95's i've worked on did not. Mine was a 96.

Everybody has a different way of going about things of course. I've "perfected" so to speak my way of working lol. It is of course different than others. I've also been working on honda's since I was 16 with my first one, so about 9 years now.

Tech5
01-13-2009, 12:53 PM
What are you talking about? From what I have heard you have never worked or built a car yourself. And you have DEFINATELY never been around Hondas. :ninja: lol

Oh and x2 on the highlighted part of quote.

lol...yeah I havent built nor raced any cars lol....

As I said, I'm just speaking from experience with several incidents. Now that I think about it, mine did throw a light, however, the 92-95's i've worked on did not. Mine was a 96.

Everybody has a different way of going about things of course. I've "perfected" so to speak my way of working lol. It is of course different than others. I've also been working on honda's since I was 16 with my first one, so about 9 years now.

Built, sold ,worked on more cars then you produce sperm lol!:lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao:

But either way thanks for your input friend,Bowdown is my friend I am sure if he can't figure it out I will!

jmmx258
01-13-2009, 01:00 PM
Really your 2 years older than me. I dont think that your in ANYWAY that much more experienced than myself.

Not at all knocking what you may or may not know, by any means. I just suggest not refering to me as someone who might be inferior to what you consider a well to do mechanic. Aside from that, I would take a back yard mechanic over some ASE chump any day of the week.

Only due to the fact, a back yard mechanic will do his damnedest to save money, where in turn an ASE Cert. would just quote this that, replace this and that, and cost an arm and a leg.

I understand he's your friend and your trying to save him some cash, but if you haven't noticed, I too am trying to save him a few bucks.

I had about 250 into my charging system, when It was a simple fuse, however I had no guidance or somebody who had been through the problem. I bought a new battery, alt, and upgraded all my cables, with big ass wire. It was all a waste when all i need to fix it was a fuse.

Tech5
01-13-2009, 01:05 PM
Really your 2 years older than me. I dont think that your in ANYWAY that much more experienced than myself.

Not at all knocking what you may or may not know, by any means. I just suggest not refering to me as someone who might be inferior to what you consider a well to do mechanic. Aside from that, I would take a back yard mechanic over some ASE chump any day of the week.

Only due to the fact, a back yard mechanic will do his damnedest to save money, where in turn an ASE Cert. would just quote this that, replace this and that, and cost an arm and a leg.

I understand he's your friend and your trying to save him some cash, but if you haven't noticed, I too am trying to save him a few bucks.

I had about 250 into my charging system, when It was a simple fuse, however I had no guidance or somebody who had been through the problem. I bought a new battery, alt, and upgraded all my cables, with big ass wire. It was all a waste when all i need to fix it was a fuse.

congrats an thanks again for your help

On the ASE note, I would never let a Backyard guy work on my lawnmower!
I seen what they do when they get towed to the shop due to they dont know what they are doing!

Recent case, A backyard guy tried to install a timing belt on a 97 landrover v6 and didnt have the proper tools nor knowledge an damaged the engine , NOW ME AN THE MAD SCIENTIST HAS TO RIP APART THE BLOCK AN REPLACE THE PISTON RINGS YOU FRIED!!! LOL sorry I had to say that!

But on a serious note* thanks for the input , not trying to start a pissing test that you would lose :lmfao:

jmmx258
01-13-2009, 01:09 PM
I doubt I would lose that pissing contest. It would greatly depend on who the mechanic was, how much I knew of him, and trusted him.

If you can't install a timing belt then you should not be considering your self a mechanic by any means. 90% of guys calling themselves mechanics are far from it.

In my definition a mechanic would be a person who can fix a car but also diagnose problems as well.

if you can't do that, your nothing but a lowly parts changer :)

Tech5
01-13-2009, 01:11 PM
< Driveability guy here!

BTW agree 100% on your last post above.....Many calls them tech's/mechanic's but yet can't do headjobs,piston rings,cranks,timing belts, etc
But can throw on alternators,batterys lol

Motivation
01-13-2009, 01:16 PM
< Driveability guy here!

BTW agree 100% on your last post above.....Many calls them tech's/mechanic's but yet can't do headjobs,piston rings,cranks,timing belts, etc
But can throw on alternators,batterys lol

I can put air in a tire and change a cd in the radio... Does this qualify me as a mechanic? :???:

Tech5
01-13-2009, 01:17 PM
I can put air in a tire and change a cd in the radio... Does this qualify me as a mechanic? :???:

On car forums , and Import Atlanta Yes Sir!:goodjob: :lmfao:

jmmx258
01-13-2009, 01:18 PM
Well, considering I just built my b20, boosted it, and am now tuning it myself, I would say i'm a little higher on the ladder than a parts changer.

Tech5
01-13-2009, 01:20 PM
Well, considering I just built my b20, boosted it, and am now tuning it myself, I would say i'm a little higher on the ladder than a parts changer.

ehh.... I would maybe trust you to install my turbo mani but thats about it;)

I have owned about 50 cars in the past 2 years
boosted,nitrous,N/a etc...But I am no GOD lol

jmmx258
01-13-2009, 01:29 PM
Of course you wouldn't you don't know me, I dont know you, so rather than sit there and try and bash me with your little nut swingin butt buddy up there, why not just let it go? I posted some info, you thanked me, rather than leaving it at that you had to add your childish little comments.

Would have been far more simple to just leave at that in the first place.

Glad you owned 50 cars in the past 2 years, thats scompletely great for you. Still doesn't mean you mean shit as a mechanic, parts changer, ASE Cert, nothing :). Sure, you can put parts on, you can change parts. Do you really know how to actually make the motor work. I dont know that about you, nor do you know that about me. So, maybe now would be a good time to drop your little comments, and give up.

Tech5
01-13-2009, 01:31 PM
Internet is Serious Bussiness!

BTW it was a joke that your took the wrong way, glad you let the internet get to you, I don't care!

BTW I know what I can an can't do and most IA knows me too! and seen my work,and trust my work an skillz

jmmx258
01-13-2009, 01:34 PM
I hardly let it get to me, I merely sat here and giggled at your maturity, or lack there of.

Which in turn made it funny for me. Guess my sense of humor is far different than yours. O'well.

Tech5
01-13-2009, 01:35 PM
I hardly let it get to me, I merely sat here and giggled at your maturity, or lack there of.

Which in turn made it funny for me. Guess my sense of humor is far different than yours. O'well.

:lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kD7LEoMvp4A

jmmx258
01-13-2009, 01:40 PM
lol reps

Tech5
01-13-2009, 01:41 PM
lol reps

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :goodjob:

Atlblkz06
01-13-2009, 03:51 PM
1 problem, 1 solution, and 3 pages of bullshit... Why this must be IA.

jmmx258
01-13-2009, 03:57 PM
Followed by one moron who feels the need to state the obvious way to go dumbass :)

Barefoot
01-13-2009, 09:00 PM
Followed by one moron who feels the need to state the obvious way to go dumbass :)sad part is Atlblkz06 right. this should have been done an over with on page 1.