PDA

View Full Version : B@D @PPLE and others THAT ACTUALLY KNOW AUDIO PLEASE HELP

rickgiblin
01-10-2009, 06:29 PM
ok, please only respond if you know what you are talking about in all serriousness. But now to the question. i was wanting to know how can i put a car amp or basically a car sub into my house. i saw it done a few years back in my buddies house, but i forgot how he told me that they did it. basically what do i have to get, how can it be done. i use to work at traffic jams so im not that quite stupid about wiring and audio but i just dont see how i can go about it and either take 110 and turn it into 12v or take a home reciever and hook up a sub on it. pics would also help if possible. thanks alot upfront for your help

big99miketma
01-10-2009, 07:30 PM
When did you work for Traffic Jams?, I used to work there once about ten years ago and again about 3 years ago.

If you want to have 12V in your house you need to get a DC power supply.
That is what you would need to hook up a car amp in your house if you want to hook up your sub to a home receiver you just need to make sure your receiver can handle the ohm load because there are a lot of home receivers that can not be wired to lower than 8 ohms.

rickgiblin
01-10-2009, 10:54 PM
i worked up at tj rite after they fired everyone (or everyone quit... never found out the truth) but it was back in december of 07 to about march or april of 08... i just couldnt handle having to always wait for a paycheck that i worked for. but now its under new owner and all and seems like its a top notch place once again.

but as for the 12v power supply. i have been looking for one cuse it would be even better if it would convert and i could just put a cd player and speakers all over the house. that would be perfect but i havent been able to find anything of that type.

big99miketma
01-10-2009, 11:23 PM
http://www.kinetikaudio.com/powersupplies.asp

sina518
01-11-2009, 12:50 AM
i worked up at tj rite after they fired everyone (or everyone quit... never found out the truth) but it was back in december of 07 to about march or april of 08... i just couldnt handle having to always wait for a paycheck that i worked for. but now its under new owner and all and seems like its a top notch place once again.

but as for the 12v power supply. i have been looking for one cuse it would be even better if it would convert and i could just put a cd player and speakers all over the house. that would be perfect but i havent been able to find anything of that type.

who are u? i dont remember you, no body got fired everyone just quit all mostly for the same reason, but any how most home recivers handle a 8ohm very few handle 4 ohm so you need a sub that can be wired 4ohm or 8 ohm, as far as putting a amp in ur house you need a power supply. power supply plugged into the wall, power, ground and remote into the power supply and rca's into reciver or ipod, whatever it is you are going to be using to feed signal through it.

rickgiblin
01-11-2009, 01:43 PM
im rick... as in the user name above. i worked there with shakesphere and dave. im the one that did the work on the polaris razr if that brings back any memmories, and a big ass moving van with strobes and rotator lights

sina518
01-11-2009, 10:44 PM
No i dont think i was there.i left because of school and i think u came after.you talking about dave with the chevelle?

rickgiblin
01-11-2009, 11:30 PM
yep... did you have the black box that was mounted into the work bench? if so, i think i know who you are. but me and dave started on the exact same day. i drove the two-tone blue and white civic

jmmx258
01-12-2009, 09:17 AM
I did it with a battery charger. I ran my hot and negtive, and for my remote wire, I ran to the positive of the charger with a toggle switch in it.

sina518
01-12-2009, 10:28 AM
yep... did you have the black box that was mounted into the work bench? if so, i think i know who you are. but me and dave started on the exact same day. i drove the two-tone blue and white civic

no i had the black bmw, i was the one that helped chris with sales but i was gone when you got there, i just came and helped every once in a while.

rickgiblin
01-12-2009, 07:10 PM
I did it with a battery charger. I ran my hot and negtive, and for my remote wire, I ran to the positive of the charger with a toggle switch in it.

can you post some pics. i dont quite understand what your talking about. did you just take a 8g wire and just put it rite into the positive on a batery charger?

sina518
01-12-2009, 09:50 PM
^^^^^ sounds like it, just get a power supply its a bit more efficient. http://stingerelectronics.com/productDetails.aspx?delineate=234&CategoryID=-1&ParentID=-1

Jaimecbr900
01-13-2009, 07:50 AM
Just out of curiosity, why do you want to do this? :thinking:

Xrated O.G.
01-13-2009, 09:06 AM
^^^^^^^ why did you have to ask Jaime????????

Jaimecbr900
01-13-2009, 09:39 AM
^^^^^^^ why did you have to ask Jaime????????

Because I've actually thought about doing it as a fix to a blown surround sound sub.....

4dmin
01-13-2009, 10:18 AM
this is why jaime doh!

http://www.geekologie.com/2007/02/musical-chair.jpg

Jaimecbr900
01-13-2009, 12:32 PM
this is why jaime doh!

http://www.geekologie.com/2007/02/musical-chair.jpg

Dude, that would so be cool on all my bar stools......:goodjob:

rickgiblin
01-13-2009, 08:34 PM
lol about the bar stools, but my dad just got this surround sound for upstairs and keeps pissing me off by turning it up late at night when i gotta work... and all it is, is highs and mids... no bass. im tired of it, so i wanted to put in some componets and about 2 12's... granted ill have to get 2 or 3 of those power supplys but when hes trying to watch tv or sleeping... i wanna make it so he has a hard time sleeping like i have

dabuilding
01-23-2009, 04:16 PM
hey i did this before i didnt feal like reading all the posts on here so if im sayin somethin someone has said then forgive me but i did it with the amp wired to a car battery and the battery hooked to a battery charger and ran the rca's to my car cd player(also wired to the same battery) lol it actually made cups rattle on the wall in my kitchen but i had 4 12's hooked up haha

speedminded
01-24-2009, 11:12 AM
ok, please only respond if you know what you are talking about in all serriousness. But now to the question. i was wanting to know how can i put a car amp or basically a car sub into my house. i saw it done a few years back in my buddies house, but i forgot how he told me that they did it. basically what do i have to get, how can it be done. i use to work at traffic jams so im not that quite stupid about wiring and audio but i just dont see how i can go about it and either take 110 and turn it into 12v or take a home reciever and hook up a sub on it. pics would also help if possible. thanks alot upfront for your helpI did this years ago. Nothing like Socom with a bandpass box pushing 700 watts lol!

Frye's has heavy duty 120v to 12v transformers for cheap, when you enter go to the right and it's the 2nd or 3rd row from the front. You can simply wire the amp directly to it but I would strongly suggest using capacitors.