PDA

View Full Version : General Chat Ga titles.

bimmergirrl
01-09-2009, 09:48 AM
Okay I have a question (obviously)

Im selling my vdub becuase I need the money and would rather have a cheaper car anyways.
Ive found a nice clean 89 civic hatch and a clean 87 prelude.
Both run great (ive test driven)

Only prob is this.
The Prelude has a lean on the title from not the current owner but the one that sold it to him. Hes selling the lude for $600 becuase of that.
Is there anyway around that?
I will be getting my tag in Gilmer Co anyways so emissions doesnt matter and if I remember correctly my bmw (85) didnt have to have the title to register in Paulding.

What do you guys think?
The civic is 1k. And both are at 150k miles.

Ed
01-09-2009, 09:55 AM
so he financed it privately with the last owner?

so that means the title is in his name but the previous owner is holding it? or is a bank holding the title?

just make sure that the title is signed by whoever's name is on it, and make sure that the lien has signed off too, theres a section that he can sign. as long as it's signed, it doesnt matter if there is a lien or not. thats between the seller and the previous owner.

MrBoostedCRX
01-09-2009, 09:57 AM
go for the nice clean hatch to not worry about complications,

bimmergirrl
01-09-2009, 10:00 AM
so he financed it privately with the last owner?

so that means the title is in his name but the previous owner is holding it? or is a bank holding the title?

just make sure that the title is signed by whoever's name is on it, and make sure that the lien has signed off too, theres a section that he can sign. as long as it's signed, it doesnt matter if there is a lien or not. thats between the seller and the previous owner.

The current owner has the title.
So, lol, just sign the lein part?

Is it true that the age of the car can make a title useless?

Ed
01-09-2009, 10:03 AM
The current owner has the title.
So, lol, just sign the lein part?

Is it true that the age of the car can make a title useless?

i never heard that one before, but im not an expert, dont take my word for it.

when i sold my previous car, it had a lien, i went to the bank, paid it off, they signed the lien, gave me the title. i signed the title, gave it to the new owner.

hope that helps in anyway.

bimmergirrl
01-09-2009, 10:04 AM
haha it still helps. :)

Kaiser
01-09-2009, 11:44 AM
Cars over a certain age didn't have titles when they were originally bought. The Grandfather clause for those cars means they do not have to have Titles as the original owner of the car may still own it and decide to sell it. Those cars can be titled with a bill of sale and then registered with the title, or they can be simply registered without the title at all.

Cars 1986 and newer need titles. Cars between 63 and 85 do not need titles but can get them. Cars made in 62 or before do not get titles in the state of Georgia, and are simply registered/transfered via Bill of Sale.

Info here. (http://motor.etax.dor.ga.gov/motor/titles/required.asp)

Google really could have answered your question as well as I did as far as the age of the car goes. I just happened to remember all of it from buying my 240z. Ed is spot on about the liens part as well. They won't issue you a new title unless the car has been de-registered and all liens on the car are signed for (Meaning the lien-holder has signed that he is ok with the car being sold/transferred).

bimmergirrl
01-09-2009, 12:05 PM
ahh ok. Well hatch it is then. Someone buy my Cabrio? lol

Me86Rob
01-09-2009, 12:54 PM
Okay I have a question (obviously)

Im selling my vdub becuase I need the money and would rather have a cheaper car anyways.
Ive found a nice clean 89 civic hatch and a clean 87 prelude.
Both run great (ive test driven)

Only prob is this.
The Prelude has a lean on the title from not the current owner but the one that sold it to him. Hes selling the lude for $600 becuase of that.
Is there anyway around that?
I will be getting my tag in Gilmer Co anyways so emissions doesnt matter and if I remember correctly my bmw (85) didnt have to have the title to register in Paulding.

What do you guys think?
The civic is 1k. And both are at 150k miles.

i miss your sexy ass E30 :(

eckok24
01-09-2009, 02:04 PM
u can bond the title go ask the tag office. its a small fee. most times the lein hold wont even be lookin to pursue it. if the person pawn the title call the pawn shop and offer them something. most times they would rather take something over nottin then release the title

Kaiser
01-09-2009, 09:46 PM
You CAN Bond the title, but there are PLENTY of complications that can come from doing that blind to the nature of the Lien on the car. If the Lien is a hefty one, it could mean you buy the car, attempt to have it Bonded, and end up without a car and without your money.

Georgia_boy
01-11-2009, 12:01 AM
get the hatch......less complications in every which way.

wannab20hatch
01-12-2009, 03:40 AM
first off get the hatch. youll be happier ive owned both cars.

secondly if the title has a lien on it of any kind he cant sell it because it doesnt belong to him until he pays of the amount owed and then has it released to sign to you.

only bond a title that your 100% sure is good. carfax is good. i had to title bond my truck. i carfaxed and it was good to go. the police will need to come out and run the vin and fill out paperwork for you. and i was told by the officer if it comes back anything other than clear you go to jail for either posession of stolen property and or receiving stolen property.(and since the value is over 500 its a felony in ga) then you have to wait up to 3 months to get the actual title back. but you can get it tagged with the bonded paperwork. and the cost is based on a % of the value of the car or 100 bucks which ever is greater.

hope this helps you.

Type-R
01-16-2009, 12:23 PM
secondly if the title has a lien on it of any kind he cant sell it because it doesnt belong to him until he pays of the amount owed and then has it released to sign to you.

Yup, if anyone tries to sell a car that has a lien listed on the title they are not allowed to sell, period. If they do and the bank or whoever the lien holder is tracks down the vehicle they will repo it and you'll be assed out. Not to mention you wouldn't be allowed to transfer the title to you.