PDA

View Full Version : judge denies reinsertion of feeding tube for schiavo

kilpatty43
03-22-2005, 08:43 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/03/22/schiavo/index.html

Judge denies bid to restore Schiavo's feeding tube
Attorneys for parents to petition appellate court
Tuesday, March 22, 2005 Posted: 9:28 AM EST (1428 GMT)

TAMPA, Florida (CNN) -- A federal judge on Tuesday denied an emergency request to reinsert a feeding tube for Terri Schiavo, a brain-damaged woman at the center of a national legal battle over her life.

Attorneys for Schiavo's parents will file an appeal at the 11th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Atlanta, Georgia.

Schiavo has been without food or water since a state judge ordered her feeding tube removed Friday at her husband's request.

Tuesday's ruling by U.S. District Judge James Whittemore in Tampa came after Congress and President Bush enacted legislation aimed at allowing federal courts to review Schiavo's case. (Full story)

In denying the request for a temporary restraining order to restore the tube, Whittemore wrote that Schiavo's parents, Bob and Mary Schindler, didn't have a "substantial likelihood of success" on the merits of their arguments.

"This court concludes that Theresa Schiavo's life and liberty interests were adequately protected by the extensive process provided in the state courts," the judge wrote.

He acknowledged the "gravity of the consequences of denying injunctive relief."

"Even under these difficult and time strained circumstances, however, and not withstanding Congress' expressed interest in the welfare of Theresa Schiavo, this court is constrained to apply the law to the issues before it," the ruling said.

Schindler spokesman Gary McCullough called the decision "extremely cruel."

"Here's a woman whose life is hanging. She's being slowly starved," he said.

"This judge could have made his decision and give the family's attorney time to appeal this. From what I understand, the attorneys will appeal this."

Scott Schiavo, brother of Terri's husband, Michael, told The Associated Press that the ruling was "a good thing" and that Congress shouldn't have intervened.

"There's not a law that's made for this," he told the AP. "This is something that goes on 100 times a day in our country, that people, their wish to die with dignity is not a federal issue."

Michael Schiavo insists that his wife would never want to continue to live in her condition -- what Florida courts have deemed a persistent vegetative state.

People in such a condition cannot think, speak or respond to commands and are not aware of their surroundings.

Terri Schiavo, 41, collapsed in her home in 1990, suffering from heart failure that led to severe brain damage. Michael Schiavo said his wife suffered from bulimia that resulted in a potassium deficiency that triggered the heart failure.

He vowed to carry through with what he calls his wife's wish not to live in such a condition, saying, "I will stick by Terri."

"When Terri's wishes are carried out, it will be her wish. She'll be at peace, she'll be with the Lord," Michael Schiavo said Monday.

"This is what Terri wants. She does not want to be in this condition. She does not want to exist in this condition, and I'm going to carry out what she wanted."

But Schiavo's parents point to the absence of a living will, or written document, clearly spelling out her wishes. They argue that their daughter's due process rights have been violated and that she would not have wanted to die this way due to her faith as a Roman Catholic.

They also contend that their daughter's condition could improve with treatment.

An uphill legal battle?
Doctors have said Schiavo could live for one to two weeks without a feeding tube.

Her parents are facing an uphill battle. Repeated court rulings have held that Michael Schiavo is his wife's legal guardian and has the right to make decisions regarding her care.

At the federal court hearing Monday, the judge grilled the Schindlers' attorney about the constitutionality of their case.

Michael Schiavo, who was not at the hearing, visited his wife at a hospice in Pinellas Park on Monday. He said it is going to be hard when she finally dies.

"I've cried many tears so far, trust me," he told CNN's Larry King. "I made a promise to Terri. I'm going to stick by her side, and I'm going to do this for her. Terri is not a piece of property that you pass back and forth. She didn't say, 'Well, when I become sick, give me back to my parents.' "

He and his attorney, George Felos, said Terri made it clear years ago that she would not want to live in such a condition -- even though she never made a living will. They said she once made the comment to her best friend after seeing a movie in which a character was in such a state.

"She said, 'No tubes for me,' " Michael Schiavo said.

Asked if he would feel bad if his wife died and medical experts later figured out a way for her to have had a better life, he said that was a medical impossibility.

"Let's be realistic, Larry. You can't regrow a brain," he said.

Meanwhile, outside the hospice, Terri's brother thanked supporters on his family's behalf and said they remain optimistic the feeding tube will be reinserted.

At the same time, he said it is disturbing to visit his sister without the feeding tube.

"She's still alert, but we're going on four days now, and we're slowly watching my sister being starved to death," Bobby Schindler said.

"It's a surreal situation when you walk in there, and you realize you're watching a loved one slowly being starved to death and dehydrated to death. It's hard to describe."

Rabunchic
03-22-2005, 08:48 AM
Ok I can see if you are on a breathing machine and that is the only thing that is keeping you alive, but she breathes on her own the thing she can't do is eat and drink. WTF are you telling me that someone who has a mentally retarded child has the right to kill it because it is basically a "vegetable" This is bullshit. Terry is suffering, because they are slowly starving her to death. Think about how bad the pains are for her. This is cruel!!!!!!

drupason
03-22-2005, 08:49 AM
bout time they do somethin about this...its all you here on the news down here! is it right to do it blah blah blah...she has been frickin brain dead for 15 years..I sure as hell would rather die then just sit there a veggie for the rest of my life.

kilpatty43
03-22-2005, 08:57 AM
i think there is a better way to do it than starving her to death...thats just cruel

drupason
03-22-2005, 08:59 AM
i heard that the part of her brain damaged causes her not to even feel the feeling of being hungry

A.P. Photography
03-22-2005, 09:13 AM
Ok I can see if you are on a breathing machine and that is the only thing that is keeping you alive, but she breathes on her own the thing she can't do is eat and drink. WTF are you telling me that someone who has a mentally retarded child has the right to kill it because it is basically a "vegetable" This is bullshit. Terry is suffering, because they are slowly starving her to death. Think about how bad the pains are for her. This is cruel!!!!!!
There is a big difference between a mentally retarded person and a brain dead person. Is it cruel to starve her to death, yes if she can feel pain and we have no way of knowing if she can or can't. Should it be done a faster, less painful way, sure but that would be on the brink of murder. It is a touch and go case but what you are failing to realize is that she has been like this for the past 15 yrs, at some point you have to say enough is enough.

Rabunchic
03-22-2005, 09:32 AM
I agree but there has to be a better way, starving her is just wrong!!!

civic95
03-22-2005, 09:44 AM
She has had 15 yrs for her brain to heal, that part of her brain is dead. I don't think god intended for us to live off of machines. If she was young, and was in a car wreck I could understand giving her a few months, couple years, etc for her brain to heal itself. But she will never eat on her own, she can't walk, she can't drive, she's just laying on a bed living off of machines. That is no way to live. What it we reach a point in the medical world that people can live another 100 yrs off of machines? After 100 or so, as each organ starts to die, we attach another machine to keep you going so you lay there for another 100 yrs even though you can't communicate, eat, etc. Her parents need to fucking let her go. Her living will should of been enough. This has wasted millions of taxpayers dollars. It's wasted the congress time. Our congress is dealing with this, steriods in baseball, and gay marriage. They have more important things to be fucking dealing with than this shit!

end rant!

A.P. Photography
03-22-2005, 09:46 AM
^^ That is what started all of this is that their is no living will. It is her parents that will not let go and I can understand them not wanting to let go of their daughter but you have to come to terms with the fact that she will be better off if they let her go.

Rabunchic
03-22-2005, 09:48 AM
Yes she will be better off, but I just think making her starve is wrong.

Kevykev
03-22-2005, 09:49 AM
Shit is all over the news, lot's of different opinions all of over the place

Protestors here and there......DAMN!!!!

Rabunchic
03-22-2005, 09:51 AM
I also think her husband is being kind of selfish, I mean he has a fiancee and a baby with her (or on the way) Why not just divorce her (there has to be a way) let her parents have the burden of taking care of her and go on with his life?

4dmin
03-22-2005, 10:02 AM
I also think her husband is being kind of selfish, I mean he has a fiancee and a baby with her (or on the way) Why not just divorce her (there has to be a way) let her parents have the burden of taking care of her and go on with his life? selfish who do you think has been taking care of her for 15 years... all the money won in their settlement has been used for your treatments... he would like to get on w/ his life, which he should be able to, he shouldn't have to spend the rest of his life worrying about a dead person.

as far as starving to death, it is painless b/c she has not brain activity. the body is working w/o a brain right now, she is no different than a dead person as it is.

4dmin
03-22-2005, 10:04 AM
further more BUSH is a fucking moron trying to screw w/ this shit, he and the other conservative bible thumpers are worried this may interfer w/ their conquest to brainwash the world.

Rabunchic
03-22-2005, 10:06 AM
Well the reason I stated that was like I said if he wants to move on let her parents take care of her. That is all they want anyway. I can see where you are coming from Paul and I can see everyone's points, but still why not let her parents just take care of her?

4dmin
03-22-2005, 10:10 AM
Well the reason I stated that was like I said if he wants to move on let her parents take care of her. That is all they want anyway. I can see where you are coming from Paul and I can see everyone's points, but still why not let her parents just take care of her? they got married it is the husbands responsiblity not the parents, i love this topic b/c i'm awaiting all the religious freaks... if there was a living will than this wouldn't even be on TV - its pointless debate b/c the husband should have the right to do what he wants, its his wife, like it would be if it was his child.

A.P. Photography
03-22-2005, 10:13 AM
Probably as much as he would like to divorce her he knows her parents would keep her alive on machines and this might be his way of leaving her is by letting her pass away. Sometimes what seems the cruelest act is really an act of love.

4dmin
03-22-2005, 10:15 AM
http://forums.importatlanta.com/showthread.php?p=25024#post25024 <<< yo check out this poll want to see what peeps in the topic think on these issues ;)

4dmin
03-22-2005, 10:16 AM
admin, silver, Jaimecbr900, civic95, AznTraitor i know jamie is going to post ;)

Jaimecbr900
03-22-2005, 10:18 AM
further more BUSH is a fucking moron trying to screw w/ this shit, he and the other conservative bible thumpers are worried this may interfer w/ their conquest to brainwash the world.

Believe it or not, as IA's official bible thumper, I agree with you (to an extent). Can't hang wit ya on the "brainwashing" thing bud..... ;)

The gov't has zero to do with this. The parents have made it into that because of all their legal ranglings. I don't think the gov't has a single say so in this.

A lot of people that don't want her to be disconnected are using legal precedents like the death row prisoners as reasoning. What a lot of people are failing to acknowledge is that she has been clinically determined to be brain dead. Therefore, the comparison of having the same rights as someone who is a murderer pleading for his life is not even remotely in the same vicinity IMO. A murderer will use every legal recourse to prolong the inevitable. If they do it long enough, they will simply die like you or I in their sleep one day never having to face the executioner. But a person that is in a vegetative state doesn't KNOW much of anything. So, technically, when someone is brain dead (much like my buddy Paul said earlier) that person is no better off than a corpse.

My personal opinion is that she should be allowed to finally pass away. I've already told my entire family that if ever I was in that situation, pull the plug. I think it's far more cruel to let someone remain in that state.

Jaimecbr900
03-22-2005, 10:21 AM
i know jamie is going to post ;)

Too funny. You knew I would didn't ya? ;)

4dmin
03-22-2005, 10:22 AM
^ dayum straight i'm right :bowdown: ... before long your gonna be anti bush ;) lol

Jaimecbr900
03-22-2005, 10:32 AM
Well the reason I stated that was like I said if he wants to move on let her parents take care of her. That is all they want anyway. I can see where you are coming from Paul and I can see everyone's points, but still why not let her parents just take care of her?

Well, the only problem with this reasoning is that it's NOT up to the parents legally or morally for that matter to make that decision. It's her husband's. If her she and her husband were in the middle of a divorce or he stood to gain a bizillion dollars from her, then I could see that argument of the parents stepping in. But this was a grown woman that was married. She legally cut her ties when she married. Her husband should make that decision for her now.

Let me give you an example:

I've already clearly told God and everybody here that I being of sound mind, debatable according to some of ya :D , would not EVER want to be kept alive if ever brain dead. EVER. My mother would disagree with me. I would expect no less from my mother. She would not want to see me go. Still with me? Now, I've been married for 12 yrs now. Been with my wife for over 18 yrs. IF I were to ever become brain dead, I've clearly told everyone that I DON'T want to be kept alive once I'm confirmed "brain dead". I WANT to be taken out of that misery. I would WANT my wife to make that decision because I KNOW my mother/father wouldn't. I love my parents. I respect my parents. BUT this is NOT their decision to make. If I were a minor, then yes. If I'm grown and married, NO.

I have 2 children of my own. It would be hard for me to pull the plug on them. So I understand it from a parent point of view too. Problem with that is that this case is dealing with a grown woman and her husband. Not children.

A.P. Photography
03-22-2005, 10:37 AM
I agree 100% J.