PDA

View Full Version : junk under the hood

Farrow2005
01-07-2009, 11:50 PM
1990 honda civic
d16z6

im thinking the alternator...

belt were getting kinda squeaky this week, then tonight out of no were it stops, then my battery light pops on. i get to my friends house. Belt is still there, when i leave to go back home car kinda sputters a bit in the lower RPM, im thinking the alternator is well... gone.

any one have any second thoughts on this?
Any one around town have one i can get dirt cheap? (I just payed rent, spent 100 something on grocery's, and bought an unnecessary at this moment air soft gun)

Goodnight, see ya in the morning.

P.S. car still drives nothing dims, even with my high out put radiator fans, and high beams on...

six7teen
01-08-2009, 12:28 AM
have you not learned anything ryan?? ask me first!!! i have an "alternator for dirt cheap"...

Barefoot
01-08-2009, 01:37 AM
test the alt before changing it. get the car running and pull the battery cable off. if it stays running the alt is fine. or u can just get a multi meter out and test it. while running it should be about 13-14 volts.

Farrow2005
01-08-2009, 07:55 AM
have you not learned anything ryan?? ask me first!!! i have an "alternator for dirt cheap"...

Gawd ben,

ill call you on my lunch. while im getting it tested to see forsure! that what it is. which it is, i know!

stephen
01-08-2009, 11:30 AM
seems like the belt might be slipping. make sure there's not grease/oil on it. spray the belts & pulleys down with something that won't leave a residue (like brake or carb cleaner...even di-electric cleaner), and then spray some belt dressing on and tighten the belts back up. i'd probably take the belts off to do it...but you CAN leave them on.

Farrow2005
01-08-2009, 06:38 PM
LOL, i go to friends house to start work on the car, hes not home. so i go home to change and go back.. well now my car wont start. waiting for him to get here with his car to jump me off. and im running on 3 cylinders now??? kinda odd.

seems like the belt might be slipping. make sure there's not grease/oil on it. spray the belts & pulleys down with something that won't leave a residue (like brake or carb cleaner...even di-electric cleaner), and then spray some belt dressing on and tighten the belts back up. i'd probably take the belts off to do it...but you CAN leave them on.

im going to just put a new one on.

--------------edit---------------

Jose, at advanced auto... IS A FCCING MORON!

he sold me the wrong belt. so now, i have to leave my car overnight at a friends house till in the morning. gonna get up at like 6am, fix it by 8 go home take a shower and get ready for work. FUCKING lame. though i learned that the D16z6 has some slug, not bad, but not good either.