01-07-2009, 05:10 PM
i have always think about building a sohc vtec and boost it
my overall goal is bout 400whp
wit stock sleeves just rods pistons block guard and built head
just need some opinions ppl
so all the negative comments keep it for your mama

BTEC
01-07-2009, 05:16 PM
i think it possible but the only way i can think of ur gonna have to upgrade ur valve train and when u do make the power it will be useless and ur stock sleeve wont hold it too many times. No nitrous involved in my recipe.

jerseyef9
01-07-2009, 05:20 PM
yeah man i love it thanks for the help man
i don't think i would use the bottle unless i sleeve it

BTEC
01-07-2009, 05:23 PM
why do u want to go with stick sleeves? other than the fact it costs around a grand to sleeve a block still.

jerseyef9
01-07-2009, 05:51 PM
true man i mean i am on a budget man......plus i just posted a video about a sohc wit stock sleeves and its makin 500whp that wit high tuning and i am willin to spend on that mostly so i am down wit for now man

-S Double C-
01-07-2009, 07:12 PM
Pistons and rods with a nice turbo setup on around 26-28lbs on race gas will net you around or over the 400whp range. You dont need a block guard nor do you need to build the head. Building the head will only alow you to make the power easier on less boost.

xdavidscenex
01-07-2009, 07:19 PM
MONEY

Nateds16
01-07-2009, 07:54 PM
im doing it right now with a d16z6. but im sleeving the hell out of it. im sarting my build thread soon but i think you should do it.

WalkS
01-07-2009, 08:34 PM
I say if your on a real tight budget, try the vitara setup. It's cheap, loved, hated but sometimes successful. But the real draw back of it is the low c/r, which yields about 7.5c/r. I've done it before; tuner toys rods, vitara pistons, arp head studs, acl race bearings, JG Engine Dynamics valve train. All of that cost me under 1 grand. Hope this gives you another option :goodjob:

-S Double C-
01-07-2009, 09:01 PM
they make custom length rods now to make vitara pistons 9:1

xdavidscenex
01-07-2009, 09:34 PM
fjdistributors.com is your best friend for d-series.

BTEC
01-07-2009, 09:41 PM
Pistons and rods with a nice turbo setup on around 26-28lbs on race gas will net you around or over the 400whp range. You dont need a block guard nor do you need to build the head. Building the head will only alow you to make the power easier on less boost.
so ur saying he can just put rods and pistons and a turbo kit and make over 400 to the wheels in a otherwise stock d series? no sleeves, no block guard, stock valve train? i usually dont call ppl out on something unitl i PERSONALLY try it myself but that has to be the absoulte dumbest advise ive ever heard.

at what point would a stock d-series float a valve? And how high would he have to rev it to get that power? Past valve float on stock springs im sure.

u can push over 20 psi one stock sleeves without even a block guard? Hell no.

If it was that easy, why are ppl still making a big deal out of making 300 on d-series engines?

jerseyef9
01-07-2009, 09:53 PM
Well i have learned alot but the whole just piston and rods so so risky i'm not doubting you man cause i'm not one to shoot someone down on their i rather appreciate than anything man BTEC man your are very knowledgeable man i'm glad you getting the knowledge to man

xdavidscenex
01-07-2009, 09:57 PM
so ur saying he can just put rods and pistons and a turbo kit and make over 400 to the wheels in a otherwise stock d series? no sleeves, no block guard, stock valve train? i usually dont call ppl out on something unitl i PERSONALLY try it myself but that has to be the absoulte dumbest advise ive ever heard.

at what point would a stock d-series float a valve? And how high would he have to rev it to get that power? Past valve float on stock springs im sure.

If it was that easy, why are ppl still making a big deal out of making 300 on d-series engines?

its all on the tuner and how well the motor was built. :2cents:

BTEC
01-07-2009, 10:02 PM
Well i have learned alot but the whole just piston and rods so so risky i'm not doubting you man cause i'm not one to shoot someone down on their i rather appreciate than anything man BTEC man your are very knowledgeable man i'm glad you getting the knowledge to man
ive been around for a while so i think i know a little bit. arp head studs, arp mains if u can afford the extra security bc u will have to rev the hell out of it. at least a block guard. Valves, springs and retainers which also will allow u to rev the hell out of it. Rods and pistons. Those are the basic components youre going to need to build a reliable boosted engine as far as the internals are concerned. Of course u know to get new bearings, oil pump, etc...

When u actually start getting parts together, call mainstream or do ur homework and go to RELIABLE sources for you info. Its going to add up but when u get it done ull be happy that u didnt take short cut and blow all ur shit up.

Have u ever had a boosted car before?

BTEC
01-07-2009, 10:03 PM
its all on the tuner and how well the motor was built. :2cents:
do u think what dude posted is possible? if ur not sure just say so. theres nothing wrong with honestly not knowing.

jerseyef9
01-07-2009, 10:11 PM
I don't know about buddy build man thats honest man its kinda cool i wanna how long it hold up? I never boosted a car before man so all the knowledge is circal man so please pour it on me

xdavidscenex
01-07-2009, 10:14 PM
do u think what dude posted is possible? if ur not sure just say so. theres nothing wrong with honestly not knowing.

well honestly i wont never go over 1 bar on stock internal. its just not safe.

whatever he said is possible like 1 out of 30 motor. lol

-S Double C-
01-07-2009, 10:16 PM

HOLY SHIT OMG HOW IN THE FUCK DID THESE GUYS DO THIS ON STOCK HEADS AND SLEEVES! WOW I GUESS THERE LIARS! Oh shit i forgot i didnt make 511whp on 29lbs on my fully built d16 with stock sleeves either!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZdGcg2Ee7U

vitara pistons/rods stock head 400+ on 26lbs stock sleeves!!!

http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1719843
http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1748160

WTF!!!! OMG WOW Another one that has been boosted almost 4 years and still running 11.20's on 23lbs, Oh i forgot that bitch is 2700lbs throw it in a hatch and go run 10's

-S Double C-
01-07-2009, 10:20 PM
do i need to post up some 400+ and 500+ whp d series on stock sleeves?

jerseyef9
01-07-2009, 10:21 PM
Dang that music to my ears man i'm shooting for a fair twelver or elevens so i'm loving it. So what exactly is the a talk about bars please explain

BTEC
01-07-2009, 10:23 PM
I don't know about buddy build man thats honest man its kinda cool i wanna how long it hold up? I never boosted a car before man so all the knowledge is circal man so please pour it on me
lol!! when u get ready to start buying stuff post up the stuff u have in mind for everybody to critique it. Like how much power with these parts. why u chose them. and why u trying to make "X" amount of power.

Do some homework. See what kinda power other ppl are making and what they are using to make that kinda power. Try to fid out why they chose those parts. Then make u a solid list of parts u prolly gonna get then holler back. Dnt come with a million different sets of rods pistons, a t25 or ysk turbo,etc...

Post it like this.

Head: btec performance Valves, springs and retainers
btec stage 3 port and polish
3 angle valve job

Block: Je pistons
Eagle rods
Micropolished crank
ACL rod, main and thrust bearings

etc.....

xdavidscenex
01-07-2009, 10:23 PM
HOLY SHIT OMG HOW IN THE FUCK DID THESE GUYS DO THIS ON STOCK HEADS AND SLEEVES! WOW I GUESS THERE LIARS! Oh shit i forgot i didnt make 511whp on 29lbs on my fully built d16 with stock sleeves either!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZdGcg2Ee7U

vitara pistons/rods stock head 400+ on 26lbs stock sleeves!!!

http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1719843
http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1748160

WTF!!!! OMG WOW Another one that has been boosted almost 4 years and still running 11.20's on 23lbs, Oh i forgot that bitch is 2700lbs throw it in a hatch and go run 10's

mhmm..thats because john vega is the sex. lol

-S Double C-
01-07-2009, 10:28 PM
Here's a hatch thats nearly stock with less then 4000 in the whole car that runs consitent 10.3's, not to mention it's been doing this for 3 years. 471whp/356tq @ 29psi on 101 octane reving to 9100? and this is not the highest power this car has made..not to mention he's also running a ebay t3 t4.

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=2295855

Here's a Friend of mines 500whp d16 hatch i talk to often on H-T that is DD with a/c and p/s still. Once again less then 2500 in his motor as well.
503whp and 345trq

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=2337047

Here another full weight 4 door with a nearly stock boosted d16 thats runs 11.2's
http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=2392446

Here's a 605whp with 403trq d series with less then 3k in the motor...
http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=2371560

http://hondamarketplace.com/showthread.php?t=2440789

^^^400+whp boosted civic sedan

BTEC
01-07-2009, 10:31 PM
the dude from honda tech is questionable. for one his screen name is fast 2 cam civic bt he talking bout a d-series and never see a pics or video of the car. the link he posted didnt work but whatever.

you can post all the vids u want but that is kinda far fetched for me to believe unless i see it in person.

I can post times slips and dyno graph of big daves supra putting dwn 800 whp and act all surprised and post his 9 sec times slip. Would u believe that was my sohc civic too? Just making a point man, dnt get offended.

xdavidscenex
01-07-2009, 10:34 PM
the dude from honda tech is questionable. for one his screen name is fast 2 cam civic bt he talking bout a d-series and never see a pics or video of the car. the link he posted didnt work but whatever.

you can post all the vids u want but that is kinda far fetched for me to believe unless i see it in person.

I can post times slips and dyno graph of big daves supra putting dwn 800 whp and act all surprised and post his 9 sec times slip. Would u believe that was my sohc civic too? Just making a point man, dnt get offended.

agreed.:yes:

BTEC
01-07-2009, 10:37 PM
http://hondamarketplace.com/showthread.php?t=2440789

^^^400+whp boosted civic sedan
Look at the stuff i made bold. i rest my case.

Block:

-Benson Sleeved D16Y8 9:0 Compression
-CP Pistons
-Eagle Rods
-ACL Bearings
-Micropolished Crank

Head:

-D16Y8 Head
-Ported and Polished (intake to intake manifold gasket and exhaust ported also)
-Isky Valvesprings/Retainers
-Zex 105300 Cam
-Hondata Intake Manifold Gasket
-Edelbrock Performer X Intake Manifold w/ port matched TB (60mm)

Transmission:

-D16Y8 Transmission (slight 3rd gear grind, on occasion)
-OBX LSD
-Action 2MS 6-puck clutch
-ACT Streetlite Flywheel
-OEM Axles/tranny fluid
-L-Con traction Bar

Turbo Setup:

-GT30r .60a/r intake, .63 a/r exhaust
-RC 1000cc Injectors
-AFI Ramhorn Manifold, 3” DP
-Tial 38MM Wastegate w/ 10 PSI Spring
-JRC 8” IC
-2.5” Intercooler piping
-3” exhaust turbo back

-S Double C-
01-07-2009, 10:55 PM
that car has a baby tune on it too he said he only wanted 400whp and he wanted to do it safely. i agree your pushing the shit out of the stock sleeves around 20+ psi and its not safe but it can be done.

BTEC
01-07-2009, 11:01 PM
that car has a baby tune on it too he said he only wanted 400whp and he wanted to do it safely. i agree your pushing the shit out of the stock sleeves around 20+ psi and its not safe but it can be done.
do you know the efficency range on the turbo hes using? my last turbo was about the same size as the one hes using. do u know how much timing he was running. how much about tuning cars do you know?

-S Double C-
01-07-2009, 11:05 PM
yeah it's good for 400-500whp, my g/f's brother is using the same turbo and making 326whp on 18lbs with a stock head rod/piston y8. Ive never tuned a car myself however ive had over 20 swap easily, was the first in ga to do the H2B swap and ive had a dozen of boosted cars so you tell me? I know my stuff bro.

BTEC
01-07-2009, 11:08 PM
just saying dont believe everything u read on the internet. ppl can post whatever they want and u think "oh i can do that" and blow ur shit up. theres ppl here in ga that have shot for high numbers in a d series, made it and blew up.

you made it sound like u can find enough stuff laying around in a tool bag and throw a 400 whp d-series together over night. just saying its not that easy.

BTEC
01-07-2009, 11:11 PM
yeah it's good for 400-500whp, my g/f's brother is using the same turbo and making 326whp on 18lbs with a stock head rod/piston y8. Ive never tuned a car myself however ive had over 20 swap easily, was the first in ga to do the H2B swap and ive had a dozen of boosted cars so you tell me? I know my stuff bro.
you know some but you dnt enough. i sold my old b16 tranny to a guy dwn south with a camo colored hatch. i think he said he was the first one to do the h2b swap. Dead serious. See what i mean? Everybody has claims but how many are true?

-S Double C-
01-07-2009, 11:17 PM
i know for a fact i was look up my old post when my username was h2b_dc2 xtrintegra silversol and a few others can vouch for that. I talked to vteckidd about it forever ago when evolution 1st come out with there kit

BTEC
01-07-2009, 11:21 PM
i know for a fact i was look up my old post when my username was h2b_dc2 xtrintegra silversol and a few others can vouch for that. I talked to vteckidd about it forever ago when evolution 1st come out with there kit
im not saying u lying dude. lol!! i said i think he said he was the 1st one to do it. you may have been the first one, i have no clue who was. i dnt keep up with whos doing what.

jerseyef9
01-12-2009, 04:12 PM
I wanna say thanks for the knowledge again you guys have help me more than enough i'll keep ya'll posted on the build thanks

RandomGuy
01-12-2009, 04:15 PM

in the end, a b-series is cheaper to get you there

00CiViC00
01-12-2009, 06:12 PM
d series ftw

BTEC
01-12-2009, 06:27 PM
:goodjob:

OneSlow5pt0
01-12-2009, 07:36 PM
i just curious to why u would need 400whp? unless it was a strictly drag car.....arnt EFs really light?

jmmx258
01-13-2009, 12:25 PM
Why do you need a decent amnt of HP at all??

ITS FUN!

jerseyef9
01-13-2009, 12:49 PM
Yes they are light! So light the more power i can pull out the motor the faster i can go. So honestly guys choose d or b to boost?

jmmx258
01-13-2009, 01:03 PM
You can make 400 on stock internals on a Z6 but thats pushing it, with a perfect tune, tuning is virtually everything on these cars.

Personally I would say go with a B series its far easier to get the numbers your after with B