PDA

View Full Version : Tranny Problem?

bowdown201
01-06-2009, 09:45 PM
So here lately my transmission wont let me go into 2nd, 4th and sometimes reverse. It's full of fluid. I noticed that the bolt closest to the firewall that goes into the tranny was literally gone and figured maybe the tranny shifted a little but when replaced it still does it on occasion. I know I need to replace my throw out bearing but could it be a clutch thing or could the tranny be screwed?

Black4DrEK
01-06-2009, 09:49 PM
damn travis WTF? maybe the syncros or somethin.. IDK let someone else chyme in.. GL tho man..

Barefoot
01-06-2009, 10:03 PM
normally when it happens on select gears its an internal problem.

bowdown201
01-07-2009, 07:19 AM
normally when it happens on select gears its an internal problem.
Internal as in the syncros not aligning right or what?

stephen
01-07-2009, 08:29 AM
you forgot to mention what year/type/swap/etc. but i'm going to assume you have shift rods on your car.

i wouldn't consider this an internal problem. it sounds like all of the gears on the bottom row have an issue (which generally doesn't happen with internal problems). i'd make sure the shifter has FULL clearance when you pull it back (make sure there's no change down there, or it's not hitting the chassis). also, when that bolt fell out, the tranny might've shifted, and bent a shift rod. just sounds like something is permitting you from getting full travel in the "rearward" motion. just pull your center console up, and see what's happening when you pull the shifter backwards. you could also put it up on jack-stands and try to manually put the tranny in gear (with the shifter removed) to make sure it's not internal.

if it were a syncro or something, you'd get a lot of grinding when going into gear, and the shifter would pop out of gear.

bowdown201
01-07-2009, 08:35 AM
you forgot to mention what year/type/swap/etc. but i'm going to assume you have shift rods on your car.

i wouldn't consider this an internal problem. it sounds like all of the gears on the bottom row have an issue (which generally doesn't happen with internal problems). i'd make sure the shifter has FULL clearance when you pull it back (make sure there's no change down there, or it's not hitting the chassis). also, when that bolt fell out, the tranny might've shifted, and bent a shift rod. just sounds like something is permitting you from getting full travel in the "rearward" motion. just pull your center console up, and see what's happening when you pull the shifter backwards. you could also put it up on jack-stands and try to manually put the tranny in gear (with the shifter removed) to make sure it's not internal.

if it were a syncro or something, you'd get a lot of grinding when going into gear, and the shifter would pop out of gear.
yea my fault its a civic w/ gsr tranny. But I can see why you say this cause it doesnt grind or nething going into gear its just like something's keeping it from goin into gear. After work ill jack it up and see what the deal is. but thanks for the help man

jmmx258
01-07-2009, 08:37 AM
Push the clutch all the way in when you shift. I'm guessing by your avatar its a honda.

Model/swap/etc. doesn't really matter. Ones a honda, its all a honda even b series. MOtors change trans are still built the same. (to an extent)

Sounds to me also like a Syncro issue. I doubt, ONE bolt missing will let your trans shift. Hell, i FORGOT to put my rear mount bolt in, because it fell and "out of sight out of mind" took place. Never had any shifting problems.

Good luck, sounds internal.

Tech5
01-07-2009, 08:39 AM
So here lately my transmission wont let me go into 2nd, 4th and sometimes reverse. It's full of fluid. I noticed that the bolt closest to the firewall that goes into the tranny was literally gone and figured maybe the tranny shifted a little but when replaced it still does it on occasion. I know I need to replace my throw out bearing but could it be a clutch thing or could the tranny be screwed?

If it was clutch issue it would happen in every gear!

Also that bolt doesnt effect the way it shifts only the way the tranny moves, which isnt much...

the tranny is shot!, needs 2nd & 4th & reverse gear,bearings,synchros,just a guess due to I have seen this to many times! But hard to say with out taking it appart an looking into. Just a Guess

if you want to get it fix lmk

jmmx258
01-07-2009, 08:43 AM
If it was clutch issue it would happen in every gear!

Also that bolt doesnt effect the way it shifts only the way the tranny moves, which isnt much...

the tranny is shot!, needs 2nd & 4th & reverse gear,bearings,synchros,just a guess due to I have seen this to many times! But hard to say with out taking it appart an looking into. Just a Guess

if you want to get it fix lmk
The part that kinda throws me off, is USUALLY its 2nd and 3rd gear. Mostly 3rd, because its the dominate gear on highways for most usable power lol

bowdown201
01-07-2009, 08:51 AM
Well I figure if the syncros were shot it would do it everytime I shift? But instead it only does it on occasion and shifts pretty much fine when it goes into gear. So idk

jmmx258
01-07-2009, 08:59 AM
My CRX did it only on occasion with a B16 motor and trans. It was because I was being lazy on the clutch. Try making sure you have the clutch to the floor when you shift it.

My friend, who now is running my old B16 trans, has added Full throttle shift, and is having NO issues with the trans shifting.

bowdown201
01-07-2009, 09:02 AM
^^^well I know it def isnt cause of that. But thanks for the help.

jmmx258
01-07-2009, 09:06 AM
^^^well I know it def isnt cause of that. But thanks for the help.

Yea, thats what I said :goodjob::goodjob:

Rather than deny it, try it to make absolutely certain thats not the problem, wouldn't it be a little cheaper to adjust your clutch? or push your foot down a little farther? As apposed to changing a transmission or having it rebuilt?

Or, try maintenance that NOBODY does. Bleed new fluid through the clutch.

I forgot your in an EG so its hydro. so forget the adjust it idea lol

bowdown201
01-07-2009, 01:27 PM
So im assuming its an internal problem cause i took the center console out and nothings jammin the linkage or anything and i got underneath it and it was shifting fine. IDK why tho but when im driving it still sometimes wont go into 2nd or 4th. Any other suggestions?

stephen
01-07-2009, 02:56 PM
So im assuming its an internal problem cause i took the center console out and nothings jammin the linkage or anything and i got underneath it and it was shifting fine. IDK why tho but when im driving it still sometimes wont go into 2nd or 4th. Any other suggestions?

unbolt the linkages and try "running it" through the gears by hand. also make sure the tranny mounts are still good. i worked on a mx-6 once (with linkages) and the tranny mount was busted. it caused the tranny to lean back a little, and the linkage was hitting the body. i wasn't getting enough travel on the shifter. it would go into gear "manually" but not with the linkages on.

jdm_crx_man
01-09-2009, 07:59 AM
i had this problem with my tranny but it was only 1st and 3rd then the tranny let go a couple weeks ago
get a transmission flush and see if there are metal shavings in the fluid

mitch lab
01-09-2009, 08:18 AM
get another tranny

Barefoot
01-09-2009, 04:52 PM
get another trannypretty much:goodjob::goodjob:

bowdown201
01-10-2009, 12:07 PM
^^yea im gettin it rebuilt