PDA

View Full Version : Car sales jobs

BanginJimmy
01-06-2009, 01:24 PM
As anyone ever sold cars for a living? I have an interview with Carl Black tomorrow and I'm looking for any insite from someone that has sold cars before. I know the credit markets are not great and therefore cars are not selling well, but I am really only looking for extra cash to go along with what I am getting for going to school.

umairejaz
01-06-2009, 01:30 PM
They usually pay just on commission and the season is about to begin so it might look good, or better then usual for the few months to come. Do you have experience in sales?

BanginJimmy
01-06-2009, 02:42 PM
no experience in any form of sales so I know I will start out much slower than others.

umairejaz
01-06-2009, 09:46 PM
Few things to remember:

-Perception means everything, what the customer perceives as a deal doesn't necessarily have to be a deal at all. You can make both the management and the cusomter happy.

-You've got to make the customer feel at ease, feel free to get on a personal level with them so they feel comfortable. Get to know their kids, family, and their situation. Become their friend with a huge smile and be very courteous. Act as if you genuinely care about their needs and wants.

-Make it seem that your on their side of the deal and that your busting your ass to get them the best possibly deal they can and that the unknown manager is the evil one.

-Nothing beats experience, give it time and you will learn and excel.

umairejaz
01-06-2009, 09:50 PM
Also, they should hire you with ease, because a lot of car sales is done stricktly through commission alone, so unless your selling, you wont be getting paid.

Oh and for tips on the interview.... Hint that you're very ambitious and want to make A LOT of money ;)

JuStCrUzIn
01-06-2009, 10:03 PM
i sold cars at ed voyles. first they are gonna want you there from open to close so you sell cars and they make money and at voyles you get paid a very low hourly rate but at the end of the week it gets taken out of what you have sold and if you didnt sell anything you owe the dealership and they will take it out of your next check and if you dont sell anything next check they take out of the next one and eventually they will tell you your no longer needed. car sales is hard but you can make good money at it i did pretty good but i couldnt take the people that i ass raped that would bring me there family members cus i gave them such a great deal. made me feel like shit.

Revmaynard
01-06-2009, 10:17 PM
It seems from their post's above that it pays to not have a conscience. LOL

Z33_kid
01-06-2009, 11:05 PM
if your not a good salesman dont do it it takes alot of hours and patience

cornercarver78
01-07-2009, 12:09 AM
g/l trying to sell cars and go to school at the same time. Oh and the worse part about the job is the people you will have to work around. You will have to work on the sales floor with a bunch of dishonest paranoid alcoholic chain-smoking whiners. The stereotypes are true! All I can say is that I did it for about 6 mos. fairly successfully, but it wasn't worth it. I'd try to think about doing something else, especially given the current state of the car market. Good luck either way.

BanginJimmy
01-07-2009, 06:04 AM
actually all of the posts are pretty much what I was expecting. I dont have any intentions in making this a career, I just need some extra cash and this is the first interview I have had in like 4 months so I am getting desperate. If there is no way I can work it in with school, then I wont be doing it.

umairejaz
01-07-2009, 06:46 AM
^Also consider the current state the market is in, especially in new car sales, it isn’t the best time to get in. I’ve never worked at a new car dealership but recently heard that big commission on new car sales is pretty much shot because these dealers are being forced to liquidate and so commission is kept to a minimum. He said used cars is where it’s at.

BanginJimmy
01-07-2009, 09:43 AM
Carl Black is pretty much only used trucks and it is a pretty distinct customer base.

umairejaz
01-07-2009, 11:00 AM
^I'd go for it!

ISAtlanta300
01-07-2009, 11:34 AM
Also a good advice: KNOW WHAT YOU"RE SELLING. Especially trucks. Know towing capacity, HP, torque etc of what you are selling.

Nothing annoys me the most (as a consumer) than a salesperson who doesn't know sh*t about the car he is selling.. i.e i've been in situatons where i would know more about the car and the options/ packages available than the salesperson..........

BanginJimmy
01-07-2009, 11:58 AM
Nothing annoys me the most (as a consumer) than a salesperson who doesn't know sh*t about the car he is selling.. i.e i've been in situatons where i would know more about the car and the options/ packages available than the salesperson..........

I am the same way. When my wife and I got her new car we did all of our own research because the salesman didnt know shit.

umairejaz
01-09-2009, 08:54 PM
How did it go?

BanginJimmy
01-09-2009, 10:11 PM
they wanted someone with sales experience.

Paree4g63
01-09-2009, 10:18 PM
Either way, don't join the car sales life. A buddy of mine did it for a few years and since he's quit that line of work. I sure do see him alot more often now hanging out and etc. They'll work you to death and if you're not selling cars, you're just going downhill until they let you go. Of course you can make lots of money if you're very social and know what you're doing but there are consequences by doing that. You can either sometimes sit there and wait/lookup customers or find a more efficient way of making money. It's your choice. :2cents:

umairejaz
01-17-2009, 04:22 PM
Any updates?

BanginJimmy
01-18-2009, 06:08 PM
Any updates?

check out post 17