PDA

View Full Version : Dude gets paid 240k dollars from a airline....

Greddypacked
01-06-2009, 10:28 AM
For making him cover up his islamic shirt while boarding there plane. Now i admit they shouldnt have made this guy do that, but sueing the airline for 240k dollars and winning is way to much for making him cover up a t-shirt and sitting in the back of the plane. A reasonable amount to sue for would have been maybe 2k but come on 240k. Story- http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20090106/ts_alt_afp/ustransportairsecuritymuslimsrights_090106002219

AirMax95
01-06-2009, 10:41 AM
DAMN!!!!! I am buying a Black Panther shirt and going on vacation! America is the greatest litigious society EVAR!!!

SloWRX
01-06-2009, 10:51 AM
should have sued for more.

J-ROCK
01-06-2009, 10:58 AM
damn thats crazy!

alpine_aw11
01-06-2009, 11:19 AM
I love how everyone uses money as a solution to their problems. Like those Rutgers basketball girls that Imus called "nappy headed hoes". All they did was prove him right by filing a suit against him.

AirMax95
01-06-2009, 11:24 AM
I love how everyone uses money as a solution to their problems. Like those Rutgers basketball girls that Imus called "nappy headed hoes". All they did was prove him right by filing a suit against him.

Explain??? How is that related to this? How was suing Imus wrong? How is suing the Airline wrong in this case?

redrumracer
01-06-2009, 12:00 PM
$240k isnt much for an airline.

Atlblkz06
01-06-2009, 12:30 PM
They should have left him alone... but 240k is bullshit.
However, you know the lawyer fees probably added up to 220k :lmfao:

K20Z1
01-06-2009, 12:36 PM
O_O wtf

JDMiller
01-06-2009, 12:40 PM
They should have left him alone... but 240k is bullshit.
However, you know the lawyer fees probably added up to 220k :lmfao:

either way clearly a good investment:goodjob:

Brick
01-06-2009, 01:05 PM
How was suing Imus wrong? How is suing the Airline wrong in this case?

How was suing Imus right? Free speech, whether it be offensive, right or wrong.

Atlblkz06
01-06-2009, 01:44 PM
Now I'm curious...

What if I custom make a shirt with my flight number:

"Flight 115 go BOOM. ALLAH-Ho-Akbar"

Is that still free speech?

alpine_aw11
01-06-2009, 01:48 PM
Explain??? How is that related to this? How was suing Imus wrong? How is suing the Airline wrong in this case?

It shows how shallow and pathetic people really are. They get offended by something, and then decide that money will solve all of their problems. If these people really cared about what happened to them, suing wouldn't pop into their head first. They obviously don't give a shit, because they think money will make it all better. American society ftl.

TheGodfather
01-06-2009, 01:59 PM
Shouldn't have let that terrorist bastard even on the plane.

AirMax95
01-06-2009, 01:59 PM
It shows how shallow and pathetic people really are. They get offended by something, and then decide that money will solve all of their problems. If these people really cared about what happened to them, suing wouldn't pop into their head first. They obviously don't give a shit, because they think money will make it all better. American society ftl.

I get where you are going, but I don't think these people are looking for answers to a problem. In the case of the BBall team, and the Islamic man, its more of a "point" to be made. Its not right to call someone a name in a RACIAL tone, nor is is right to for a person to be FORCED to change his shirt and sit at the back of the plane! That shit is rediculous.

If you are fearful of terrorist then don't fly! The US is a melting pot of people. This guy was told to change his shirt and sit at the back of the damn plane!!! What's next, all Arabs must sit at the rear of the plane due to possible discomfort of other passengers???? He sued them, and the $240k they paid out will remind them the next time they treat a customer wrong.

redrumracer
01-06-2009, 02:04 PM
I get where you are going, but I don't think these people are looking for answers to a problem. In the case of the BBall team, and the Islamic man, its more of a "point" to be made. Its not right to call someone a name in a RACIAL tone, nor is is right to for a person to be FORCED to change his shirt and sit at the back of the plane! That shit is rediculous.

If you are fearful of terrorist then don't fly! The US is a melting pot of people. This guy was told to change his shirt and sit at the back of the damn plane!!! What's next, all Arabs must sit at the rear of the plane due to possible discomfort of other passengers???? He sued them, and the $240k they paid out will remind them the next time they treat a customer wrong.
wrong, it depends on who there is more of. the company would rather turn away a person wearing clothing that might make the flight uncomfortable than upsetting a plane full of people. all about the great dollar.

AirMax95
01-06-2009, 02:07 PM
wrong, it depends on who there is more of. the company would rather turn away a person wearing clothing that might make the flight uncomfortable than upsetting a plane full of people. all about the great dollar.

I get that....my point is though that there are crazy loons of all races/nationalites.

Going out there on this one.....if a guy hoped on a plane with a Nazi shirt on, with random german lettering, should he get the same treatment?

...if an African guy got on the plane with some African language on it, should he be placed in the back?

...if a white guy got on a plane with a shirt that said "F--K America" would he get the same treatment.

The article even said that a passenger made up what HE thought he shirt read, lol!

I get the airlines position, but its a fine line they are walking. I see more people suing in the sear future! Gotta love America :D

alpine_aw11

They obviously are looking for a solution. It's pretty easy to tear a company down without suing. Do you really think the airline cares about that 240k? They may not do it again, but I guarantee you they don't give a shit about that muslim guy or the money they lost. I still say filing lawsuits for something considered personally offensive shows how low the people of this country have sunk. If you're physically harmed, sue for the medical bill. If you're personally offended and sue, you have no right to do so. Go public, get an apology, do whatever. Don't act like money can solve everything. I think nothing of this guy, or those basketball players because they obviously don't care enough. They can be purchased, no matter what is done to them. Really pathetic if you ask me.

FasTech
I SAY WE GO JUMP THE FOOL AND TAKE HIS MONEY!!!

AirMax95
01-06-2009, 02:10 PM
They obviously are looking for a solution. It's pretty easy to tear a company down without suing. Do you really think the airline cares about that 240k? They may not do it again, but I guarantee you they don't give a shit about that muslim guy or the money they lost. I still say filing lawsuits for something considered personally offensive shows how low the people of this country have sunk. If you're physically harmed, sue for the medical bill. If you're personally offended and sue, you have no right to do so. Go public, get an apology, do whatever. Don't act like money can solve everything. I think nothing of this guy, or those basketball players because they obviously don't care enough. They can be purchased, no matter what is done to them. Really pathetic if you ask me.

I dig your point, but SADLY its the only way someone can get "even" with the people/company that does them wrong.

alpine_aw11
01-06-2009, 02:12 PM
I dig your point, but SADLY its the only way someone can get "even" with the people/company that does them wrong.

I guess, but public exposure can work wonders if you do it correctly. The media is the most powerful force in this country. Give them an inch and they take a mile.

AirMax95
01-06-2009, 02:14 PM
I guess, but public exposure can work wonders if you do it correctly. The media is the most powerful force in this country. Give them an inch and they take a mile.

Yeah, but those greedy whores will twist the story, lol.

Also though, there is so much hatred for Muslims that I dont think a public exposure for this instance will go to far. People are afraid since 9/11, no way around it.

ep9716
01-06-2009, 02:16 PM
Thats Not Much Really

redrumracer
01-06-2009, 02:19 PM
I get that....my point is though that there are crazy loons of all races/nationalites.

Going out there on this one.....if a guy hoped on a plane with a Nazi shirt on, with random german lettering, should he get the same treatment?

...if an African guy got on the plane with some African language on it, should he be placed in the back?

...if a white guy got on a plane with a shirt that said "F--K America" would he get the same treatment.

The article even said that a passenger made up what HE thought he shirt read, lol!

I get the airlines position, but its a fine line they are walking. I see more people suing in the sear future! Gotta love America :D
based on there past history of not blowing up planes civilian or blowing up themselves no.

alpine_aw11
01-06-2009, 02:22 PM
based on there past history of not blowing up planes civilian or blowing up themselves no.

Stupid response. What's the ratio of muslims who have blown up planes to muslims who have never done anything wrong in their lives?

redrumracer
01-06-2009, 02:26 PM
Stupid response. What's the ratio of muslims who have blown up planes to muslims who have never done anything wrong in their lives?
whats the ratio of white people that where in the kkk to other white people that had nothing to do with it

what was the ratio of white slave owners to none white slave owners that made us white people keeping other races down.

point blank a few bad apples DO ruin it for a whole group of people

AirMax95
01-06-2009, 02:26 PM
Hell, and what is putting him at the BACK of the plane gonna do anyway???? He is still on the DAMN PLANE PEOPLE!!!!

Greddypacked
01-06-2009, 02:42 PM
I disagree w/ the court on his case and the amount of money he was issued. There are so many people out there in the world 2day that work 14 hr. days, gone from home for weeks and months at a time that wouldnt see that money in more than 2 years of hard grinding work 6 days a week off for 1. 240k was inappropriate and was wrongfully given. I admit what was done to him was wrong, but America is going thru some shit right now, economics and so forth. We are just provoking more sh!t like this on lawsuits and throwing money around to people that dont earn it. If i was the judge i would have gave 10-20k for him going thru a uncustomer type act(changing a shirt, and some people giving him a bad mean gesture) and sitting in the back of an airline. 240k can feed homeless, and help w/ the other issues. Now that dude is buying maybe a house, going to party, and who knows what else he will blow that money on. IMO this case was BS w/ 240k being thrown. Alright were sorry sir, go buy a Ferrari and vacation in the bahamas for a month. NO Worries!

Atlblkz06
01-06-2009, 02:59 PM
Shouldn't have let that terrorist bastard even on the plane.

You missed the whole point - he WAS NOT a terrorist.

AirMax95
01-06-2009, 03:01 PM
You missed the whole point - he WAS NOT a terrorist.

I think he was being a jerk, not sure....his mentality though is the same as those passengers.

LIKEG6
01-06-2009, 03:11 PM
240k is a ridiculous amount for that.

It's like a robber breaks into a house and hurts himself and then sues the owner of the house and wins

Master Shake
01-06-2009, 03:13 PM
i wonder how many other people are gonna try to find ways to sue an airline for discrimination/harassment.

AlanŽ
01-06-2009, 03:47 PM
Yes but I'm sorry look. Sometimes to get people to listen you have to hit em where it hurts and in this case it was their wallets. Don't get me wrong cause im totally opposed to frivilous law suits but in this case i think it was justified.

The differrence between the Imus suit and this suit is that the "nappy headed hoes" didn't have one of their civil liberties infringed on. They were simply called a name. This guy however had one of his civil liberties protected under the bill of rights infringed on. That's the difference. The guy should have got more. But hopefully it at least sent a message to other airlines and businesses alike that just because you dont like something doesnt give you the right to opress it. And with the economy the way it is the last thing any company should do right now is allienate its consumers.

My :2cents:

.blank cd
01-06-2009, 06:46 PM
based on there past history of not blowing up planes civilian or blowing up themselves no.That was without a doubt the most ignorant thing ive read on this site in quite some time, and this is IA, thats not an easy feat to accomplish.

EJ25RUN
01-06-2009, 06:50 PM
$240k isnt much for an airline.
It is when you're JetBlue.

redrumracer
01-06-2009, 07:14 PM
That was without a doubt the most ignorant thing ive read on this site in quite some time, and this is IA, thats not an easy feat to accomplish.
may be ignorant but doesnt make it any less true.

Atlblkz06
01-06-2009, 07:26 PM
NO COMPANY takes ANY amount of money lightly. Every dollar counts. Statements like "240k isnt much for an airline" are pure bullshit.

You've obviously never worked with any major corporations. They'll waste 2 million dollars to save 240k :lmfao:

redrumracer
01-06-2009, 07:45 PM
NO COMPANY takes ANY amount of money lightly. Every dollar counts. Statements like "240k isnt much for an airline" are pure bullshit.

You've obviously never worked with any major corporations. They'll waste 2 million dollars to save 240k :lmfao:
true they like to save a penny everywhere they can, hell you fly on an air plane and your flying on the lowest bidder.

but in the overall scheme of things 240k isnt huge.

Greddypacked
01-06-2009, 08:20 PM
^^^ Yes 240k for one individual that didnt get physically hurt, nor missed the plane he paid the ticket for, nor hardly anything was done to harm him except changing a shirt and getting his feelings hurt. Little Kids at school get there feelings hurt more mentally and physically by the big bully at school more than this dude did on a short trip. I know i know, racism, civil/or common law, what eva, but still quarter mill is to much. The court probably established a common law on the decision, but still it was to high. He made a quarter mill. for people disliking his shirt, asking him to wear something else, and ride in the back of a plane. THAT IS BS.