PDA

View Full Version : 22RE craptasticly mysterious

AZN_Pride
01-05-2009, 10:29 PM
Well I bought the car with an "electrical" issue. At least, that's what the girl told me. I basically bought the car because it is really clean and I figured these would be an easy fix. However, I was wrong.

When I try to start the car all it does it make a single click and that is all. I have no clue as to what is wrong.

Here is a pic of the engine bay.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v29/Ttrigun/100_0440.jpg

Here is a video of what it does.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v29/Ttrigun/th_100_0441.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v29/Ttrigun/?action=view&current=100_0441.flv)

mushroom_toy
01-05-2009, 10:38 PM
In these engine the starter contacts do go bad and they are an easy fix. Could be the problem but, I would make sure all the relays are good, and check the starter connections. Also check the positive battery cable.
Hopefully its just the contacts. I replaced them on my truck, and buying them from Toyota was 7 bucks for two. Takes about 30-40 mins to change em out.
Heres this. :)

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/Starter.shtml

AZN_Pride
01-05-2009, 10:41 PM
I have replaced the starter 2xs with new starters each time. The battery contacts are new as well along with the battery.

mushroom_toy
01-05-2009, 10:45 PM
You checked the efi main relay? Also post this up on Toyotanation.com Im sure someone knows the answer there.

AZN_Pride
01-05-2009, 10:47 PM
I tried TN but hardly a response besides "GL". The Celica forums are a little confused about whats going on as well/

mushroom_toy
01-05-2009, 10:52 PM
You check the small wire to the solenoid? Sometimes those become corroced and pretty much useless, besides that check the alt-bat, and alt-starter wires. Other than that or the relay, im not sure on the problem either. XD Also does your car have a clutch switch? if so that might be bad. One went out on my buddies pickup and he couldnt start the car with the clutch in or out.

AZN_Pride
01-05-2009, 10:56 PM
I dont think the car has the alt-starter wires. On the schematic there is no wires that connect the 2. The Starter is new so I dont know how the solenoid wire would be effected. It has a clutch switch but my Toyota salesman keeps arguing that that disengages the cruise control.

I may replace it anyway. The same noise occurs even with the clutch in its normal position.

mushroom_toy
01-05-2009, 11:00 PM
Yeah IM not sure on it either. I know the trucks, the sr5 model pickups i think it was came with the clutch bypass buttons so you could not have the clutches engaged and still start the truck. Good luck with the car though, maybe someone will give ya some advice on tn.

DVSRX-7
01-05-2009, 11:08 PM
have u tried kick starting it? seriously idk.. but check all our electrical, fuses, relays, connectors,grounds or anything that might interupt it from starting..

AZN_Pride
01-05-2009, 11:16 PM
Celica guys are saying the engine is most likely locked up or seized now....7MGTE or 1J swap time!

mushroom_toy
01-05-2009, 11:19 PM
Celica guys are saying the engine is most likely locked up or seized now....7MGTE or 1J swap time!

Did you try putting a breaker bar on the crankshaft and turning it?

AZN_Pride
01-05-2009, 11:21 PM
Did you try putting a breaker bar on the crankshaft and turning it?

Broke 2 Wrenches already and the transmission was in neutral and the spark plugs were removed.

mushroom_toy
01-05-2009, 11:33 PM
Alright patience is key here. Some people use marvel mystery oil some people use auto tranny fluid. I have done the second one and it works good (esp on motorcycle engines). Alright fill the cylinders through the plug hole with transmission fluid and let it sit like that for a day or two, then use a breaker bar on the crankshaft pulley nut and try rocking it back and forth until it breaks free. keep in mind it doesnt take much rust at all to freeze and engine, but that doesnt mean it will easily become unstuck either though. I would fill them and let em set for about 2-3 days, then try turning it over by hand. After that just vacuum out all the fluid and change oil and try cranking it up then :)

Me86Rob
01-05-2009, 11:59 PM
god hates you

AZN_Pride
01-06-2009, 12:02 AM
god hates you

Awee......Damn......

Sammich
01-06-2009, 08:56 AM
IMHO, MAKE SURE ALL YOUR BATTERY CONTACTS ARE CLEAN AND TIGHT...I'VE HAD NUMEROUS PROBLEMS W/ THAT ON MY TRUCK. THOUGHT IT WAS THE STARTER AND ALTERNATOR ADN ALL IT WAS, WAS BATTERY CONNECTION, TRUE STORY

Sammich
01-06-2009, 08:58 AM

i can find swap mounts for the 84-88 truck for the 1jz if interested:ninja: