PDA

View Full Version : Inspired by Kevykev...

ironchef
01-04-2009, 06:42 PM
Him and his deep and meaningful threads lol.

Anyways, do you ever feel like you're held back by your close friends? Do you think you could achieve more if you didn't know them, or weren't as close with them?

Reason I ask is because I was chatting with a friend of mine whos been pondering the same thing (we have the same close group of friends). It seems like the majority of them only want to talk about alcohol, next place to go drinking, and other dumb shit. No one really ever tries to talk about world, future plans, important topics like financial stuff, real estate, government, etc.

They also seem to be really scared to grow up and go into the real world (we're in college, and some are graduating this semester, some in a year, so everyones pretty close to being in the real world).

It makes me wonder if I could be doing better? Or at least be inspired to do better and achieve more.

I love those people to death, but sometimes I feel like I could do better I guess.

Anyone care to share?

Kevykev
01-04-2009, 06:51 PM
Him and his deep and meaningful threads lol.

Anyways, do you ever feel like you're held back by your close friends? Do you think you could achieve more if you didn't know them, or weren't as close with them?

Reason I ask is because I was chatting with a friend of mine whos been pondering the same thing (we have the same close group of friends). It seems like the majority of them only want to talk about alcohol, next place to go drinking, and other dumb shit. No one really ever tries to talk about world, future plans, important topics like financial stuff, real estate, government, etc.

They also seem to be really scared to grow up and go into the real world (we're in college, and some are graduating this semester, some in a year, so everyones pretty close to being in the real world).

It makes me wonder if I could be doing better? Or at least be inspired to do better and achieve more.

I love those people to death, but sometimes I feel like I could do better I guess.

Anyone care to share?

This will be a turning point in your life. Friends grow apart; it has certainly happened to me. It's not necessarily "could you be doing better" it might be more of a "Damn, I'm gonna have to drop these guys if i want to continue."

Your time to start the path to your personal success might be NOW while there time might be later or Never.

Don't belittle yourself just for a little fun.

tron
01-04-2009, 06:54 PM
ehh im in high school i could care less about "the real world"

lol j/k

i feel ya tho cause when i told all my close friends i was joining the military(air force)
i got all the typical reactions( note they are all typical blk ppl lol) lyk "you gon work for the man" and "****** don't belong in the military" all i did was lol its all good it was expected

alpine_aw11
01-04-2009, 06:56 PM
I've had many friends that would have held me back if I stuck with that lifestyle. I still hang out with them occasionally because they never wronged me at all, but there's a certain point where you have to put yourself first. You don't have to drop friends, just make sure you keep your priorities straight. They don't need to have intelligent conversations for you to keep going, they aren't dumbing you down. Just keep your shit together and it wont matter.

MongolPup
01-04-2009, 06:56 PM
I expect a page long answer from matthewAPM. He has a lot of built up seriousness he wants to get out.

tron
01-04-2009, 06:58 PM
I've had many friends that would have held me back if I stuck with that lifestyle. I still hang out with them occasionally because they never wronged me at all, but there's a certain point where you have to put yourself first. You don't have to drop friends, just make sure you keep your priorities straight. They don't need to have intelligent conversations for you to keep going, they aren't dumbing you down. Just keep your shit together and it wont matter.

QFT its what i did. half my friends are still trying to blow up as rappers :lmfao::lmfao::lmfao::lmfao::rolleyes:

FasTech
01-04-2009, 07:02 PM
I lost a few good friends when I decided that I had to grow up some. I mean, I knew those guys back when I was like 13 but it was everyday, smoking weed and wanting to get drunk. I just had to leave all that before I screwed my life up. I talk to them from time to time but we hardly ever hang out. It sucks that it had to be like that, but it just seperates the men from the boys.

ironchef
01-04-2009, 10:56 PM
This will be a turning point in your life. Friends grow apart; it has certainly happened to me. It's not necessarily "could you be doing better" it might be more of a "Damn, I'm gonna have to drop these guys if i want to continue."

Your time to start the path to your personal success might be NOW while there time might be later or Never.

Don't belittle yourself just for a little fun.I feel ya. Going to branch out this semester, try new things, and slow down communications with those people. Will see how it goes.

Julio
01-04-2009, 11:11 PM
Word of advice.. friends come and go...
But with that said.. is really a catch 22.. I think you just have to be smart about the decisions you make.. be your own self motivator.. But keep friends close.. Sometimes you never know when you may need one of them.. even though at this time they may not seem to be the brightest or simply what you dont want to be involved with at this time.

Oz10
01-04-2009, 11:21 PM
:goodjob: This is a good thread! I totally feel that way sometimes. I've grown apart from some old friends, but at the same time made new more mature friends. I still get along with everybody, but I'm not doing dumb shit like I used to with the old friends.

Ran
01-05-2009, 09:12 AM
It's all about who you choose as friends. Choose wisely and you'll be good. Find people that share a lot in common with you and will support you when you need it. Not some douchebags that just want someone to get wasted with and will flake on you when you're in need. I used to have a bunch of people that I thought were friends, but they were just using me because my lifestyle was better than theirs. F*ck that. Become friends with quality people and you won't have these kinds of problems. :goodjob:

ironchef
01-05-2009, 09:23 AM
It's all about who you choose as friends. Choose wisely and you'll be good. Find people that share a lot in common with you and will support you when you need it. Not some douchebags that just want someone to get wasted with and will flake on you when you're in need. I used to have a bunch of people that I thought were friends, but they were just using me because my lifestyle was better than theirs. F*ck that. Become friends with quality people and you won't have these kinds of problems. :goodjob:Well these people aren't douchebags, we have a lot in common, and they're supportive. But outside of that they generally have a 1 track mind, unfortunately.

AirMax95
01-05-2009, 09:43 AM
Sounds like they are good guys with different priorities at the moment. If you are close to them, dont leave them until they give you a reason to. Just simply diversify your friend/associate base. I went through it in college, and STILL do it today.

If you feel they are REALLY holding you back, them blame yourself first. Never let anyone hold you back or steer you wrong. As long as they are not criminals (from liars to thieves to killers) then keep them around as friends. They start acting crazy, check them once, then leave them alone.

Eventually, negative or slack ass friends will weed themselves out. :goodjob:

Kevykev
01-05-2009, 09:51 AM
Sounds like they are good guys with different priorities at the moment. If you are close to them, dont leave them until they give you a reason to. Just simply diversify your friend/associate base. I went through it in college, and STILL do it today.

If you feel they are REALLY holding you back, them blame yourself first. Never let anyone hold you back or steer you wrong. As long as they are not criminals (from liars to thieves to killers) then keep them around as friends. They start acting crazy, check them once, then leave them alone.

Eventually, negative or slack ass friends will weed themselves out. :goodjob:

Damn good response, ironchef is a smart cat though, he'll keep those friends exactly where they need to be. I doubt that he will be "brought down" by anyone because he doesn't posses the characteristic that will allow him to be victimized by such situations.

XLR8NMR2
01-05-2009, 10:03 AM
i know exactly how you feel man because i am going through the same bullshit with my friends back home. I'm in florida right now getting shit done to go back to school and finish up my degree and most of my friends are either finished up and unemployed or not going to school at all....I tell them how i'm moving to get done with school and their like "your not going to finish because all you do is party" and just feeding me all typed of bullshit to stay. But in the end you have to do what you need to do for yourself.