PDA

View Full Version : Guitar Builds v.2.0

DrivenMind
01-03-2009, 11:17 PM
I've had the blue Strat for a while, but my old neighbor was talking about "giving some junk guitar" away that he had lying around the house. He couldn't tell me what it was, but when I went back up to Kennesaw this weekend, I finally got to see it. I don't think he realized what he was giving away, but all the better for me; as I just picked up the body, pick guard, and single coil pick up of an 03 Fender Telecaster for free.

Below are pics of the bodies, and necks I'll be using to build myself another sweet guitar. Although I might just lurk on ebay for an Amercan Tele neck if I can find one at a decent price. I've also got some chrome pieces coming from Warmoth, to start tinkering with the Tele build. I'll start working on the Strat as the Tele gets close to being finished.

PS. I'm super fucking excited.

Revmaynard
01-03-2009, 11:27 PM
Nice, I love awesome free shit. I technically got a bunch of AWESOME records for free recently. lol

TheGrillMan
01-03-2009, 11:33 PM
mmmmmm american fender

DrivenMind
01-03-2009, 11:35 PM
Good stuff. It tastes so much better when it's free!!! What records did you end up getting?

If all goes well, and I can get my hands on a decent pickup (I'm thinking SD '59) this is gonna be an epic guitar. The body is a little banged up, but not horribly, just enough to be worn and vintage looking. I'm tempted to wire it myself, but I'm fucking skurred of the soldering iron.

Killer
01-03-2009, 11:45 PM
gl with the build man....

lol in my younger days of playing.. before i knew much about them.. i ripped apart my old acoustic.. and my old electric.. and meshed the two!!! lol put the electric neck on the acoustic body.. plus a few other bells and whistles... thing is... IT ACTUALLY WORKED.......... well.. throught the first five frets.. the intination (spl) was off really bad (even though i though i measured correctly).. now it just sits in my room at my parents.. lol FAIL!

i still really can't even play an electric (other than rythm.. which i think is pointless)... but i do plan on building an electric someday.. and hopefully actually learning some theory and learning how to rip some!!!

DrivenMind
01-04-2009, 01:17 AM
I'm still working on learning theory, but its always a work in progress. I'm trying to find an acceptable medium between learning and having fun. I finished building my first guitar earlier last year, which was a mexican Strat, built with American Strat parts and damn good pick ups. I'd never set a guitar up before, but took my time and did a lot of reading. Now the damn thing plays flawlessly. I'm a little worries that I'll screw this one up during the build, but whatever it was all free, so if I get it wrong it doesn't really matter. Although setting up the Tele should be easier than the Strat...

ps. Rhythm isn't pointless!!! It's the foundation upon which everything else is built.

Revmaynard
01-04-2009, 01:29 AM
Axis Bold as Love, Band of Gypsy's, Electricladyland, Paranoid, All the Worlds A Stage, and Dark Side of the Moon. Just to name a few.

VooDooXII
01-04-2009, 02:53 AM
Fawkin' cool man! Always loved Telecasters.

green91
01-04-2009, 08:26 AM
My strats got the SRV tex-mex pickups, they are fantastic but are a little noisy lol.

DrivenMind
01-04-2009, 09:41 AM
My strats got the SRV tex-mex pickups, they are fantastic but are a little noisy lol.

Very much agreed. They sound great when they aren't causing enormous amounts of feedback. The Tex-Mex was what I removed to install the Texas Custom Specials.

Dude killer find on the Hendrix and Pink Floyd records. That's fucking awesome. I'd be soaking wet.

green91
01-04-2009, 10:15 AM
Im considering rewiring mine to change one of my ton pots to control the bridge. Its to twangy for my tastes and makes rock music harder to play.

OneSlow5pt0
01-04-2009, 12:32 PM
good shit man,i picked up Marshall MG100HDFX for $5,needs little work...but figured it was worth it.

green91
01-04-2009, 12:57 PM
Barely LOL. Those things sound like shit. Maybe you can fix it and make a few bucks on it though.

OneSlow5pt0
01-04-2009, 01:13 PM
Barely LOL. Those things sound like shit. Maybe you can fix it and make a few bucks on it though.

well yea,i have no need..........but i mean its a almost $400 head new at GC,so gotta be worth something.lol

DrivenMind
01-04-2009, 05:21 PM
good shit man,i picked up Marshall MG100HDFX for $5,needs little work...but figured it was worth it.

For $5 I'd say it was probably worth it, although most people don't care for the way they sound, and they've supposedly had reliability problems according to reviews. Which is weird because solid state amps are supposed to be indestructible.