PDA

View Full Version : Insurance question

ruah_23
09-14-2005, 11:17 PM
Allright guys here's the situation.
I'm going to purchase a car from VA this coming monday.I'll be taking greyhound to there and drive back the car.Which is roughly arnd 10 hours. My question do i have to purchase the insurance right now? or is it allright for me to drive the car back to GA without purchasing the insurance since I've not closed the deal yet?

i've asked for quote and the cheapest is pogressive which is $153/Mo. How much y'all pay for insurance anyway at 21?

SwiftGTiRacer
09-14-2005, 11:22 PM
I don't know about your insurance company but i'm automatically insured for 30 days if I just got the car. Of course you gotta have proof of sale and etc. I got state farm and i pay $150 pr month for full coverage.

Swifty

ruah_23
09-14-2005, 11:25 PM
I don't know about your insurance company but i'm automatically insured for 30 days if I just got the car. Of course you gotta have proof of sale and etc. I got state farm and i pay $150 pr month for full coverage.

Swifty

I don't have any insurance company at the moment.Everything is under my ma's name.

SwiftGTiRacer
09-15-2005, 12:03 AM
then i would check and see what her insurance will cover since your still under your mom's name. they might have the same clause that i mentioned above.

Swifty

The Ren
09-15-2005, 12:09 AM
go with geico

RandomGuy
09-15-2005, 12:30 AM
nah man... you have to get insurance. Whenever i bought my cars (well i've always had bare minimum liability) you have to give them the VIN and they enstate the policy like that moment... and fax you your insurance binder, meanwhile you get the real shit in the mail... You take that binder with you, if you get pulled over show them that and the bill of sale/title... thats what i've done... I've been pulled over before too, and i showed them all that shit (this was b4 i even put "tag applied for") and then that was that.

Bishop
09-15-2005, 12:35 AM

Swifty
I have nationwide and its the same thing....30 days...they told me to take the plate off my old car and put it on my new one.

RandomGuy
09-15-2005, 12:44 AM
they told me to take the plate off my old car and put it on my new one.
lol isnt that super illegal.

i have 2 cars, same model, same color, and i heard its SUPER illegal to do that.

ruah_23
09-15-2005, 12:47 AM
Ok I dont think I give more details. The thing is that I want to apply my own insurance under my name insted of under my ma's name. So now if y'all said that they need the bill of sale or title, I don't have it yet since I haven't bought the car yet. So what do y'all suggest I shld do? Buy the insurance right now and give them the car vin when I haven't even bought the car yet?

I would go with geico ren but so far progressive quote me the best price.153/mo Liability......I hate my driving record.

ruah_23
09-15-2005, 12:47 AM
lol isnt that super illegal.

i have 2 cars, same model, same color, and i heard its SUPER illegal to do that.

yes it's illegal and u can be charged with misdemeanor if you do that.

Bishop
09-15-2005, 12:48 AM
LOL thats what i thought.....but they told me to take the plate off my '89 saab and put it on my '97 teg....i dunno

Bishop
09-15-2005, 12:48 AM
yes it's illegal and u can be charged with misdemeanor if you do that.
so what should i do?

ruah_23
09-15-2005, 12:51 AM
so what should i do?

Get the insurance for the car. Take it to emission..make sure it pass..and register for a new tag.

chnco
09-15-2005, 12:54 AM
Some insurance companies will cover you for 30 days, some won't, I'd just double check.

I have Progressive, but my agent hooked it up. Rock Bailey of Focus Insurance group (Tracy @ BG hooked me up with the guy)

He writes for alot of companies and basically finds the cheapest one for you. Drives a MR-2 too!! Super cool guy.

Hulud
09-15-2005, 09:07 AM
buy the car drive it back then give the info to your insurance company

Kristi
09-15-2005, 09:20 AM
i pay $99.56 with allstate for my 99 maxima. i have low deductibles and coverage that is high (100/300, etc)

chrisdavis
09-15-2005, 10:12 AM
go with geico

Fuck Geico. :mad: Those bitches want 700 more every six months for less coverage than I have now. BTW I only have one ticket and it falls off next Sept. I hope that gecko gets his little ass ran the fuck over :2up:

rickgiblin
09-15-2005, 11:54 AM
i have geico and my old expedition got broken into and the people stole my cd player, subs, amp, and broke my cd changer and geico gave me way overprices for everything. i think all together i got around 3000 and everything couldnt have cost more than 1200

Tiff-O-Bitties
09-15-2005, 03:18 PM
I pay $95 per month, full coverage.. With Allstate!

thinkfast®
09-15-2005, 03:23 PM
Hey man, dont know if you already made your decision or not, but speaking from experience, and basically insurance is how I make my living: You do not need to buy insurance right away on a newly acquired vehicle. Basically all insurance companies in GA work the same, as they are governed by the Insurance Commisioner. You have 30 days or until the end of your policy period to add it, whichever is GREATER. If you have a claim you are covered w/ the same coverages you currently have on your policy. I see things like this all the time, every day someone buys a car, gets in an accident. shit happens man. The company does expect you to put it on the policy though, but there is no issue with coverage in the event of a claim. The only thing they can do is charge you a premium from the time you bought it to the current date, thats it. If you are talking about a few days, no sweat man.

Hope this helps :goodjob:

chrisdavis
09-15-2005, 07:52 PM
Hey man, dont know if you already made your decision or not, but speaking from experience, and basically insurance is how I make my living: You do not need to buy insurance right away on a newly acquired vehicle. Basically all insurance companies in GA work the same, as they are governed by the Insurance Commisioner. You have 30 days or until the end of your policy period to add it, whichever is GREATER. If you have a claim you are covered w/ the same coverages you currently have on your policy. I see things like this all the time, every day someone buys a car, gets in an accident. shit happens man. The company does expect you to put it on the policy though, but there is no issue with coverage in the event of a claim. The only thing they can do is charge you a premium from the time you bought it to the current date, thats it. If you are talking about a few days, no sweat man.

Does that apply even though he has no insurance whatsoever?

thinkfast®
09-15-2005, 09:42 PM
LOL, if he has no insurance then he is SOL. I'm assuming he has insurance now, or at least is on his moms policy...

ruah_23
09-15-2005, 09:53 PM
Hey man, dont know if you already made your decision or not, but speaking from experience, and basically insurance is how I make my living: You do not need to buy insurance right away on a newly acquired vehicle. Basically all insurance companies in GA work the same, as they are governed by the Insurance Commisioner. You have 30 days or until the end of your policy period to add it, whichever is GREATER.

here's what the law in GA says.

C) If the owner acquired ownership of the vehicle within the past 30 days, if the type of proof described in subparagraph (A) of this paragraph is not applicable but the vehicle is currently effectively provided with required minimum insurance coverage under the terms of a policy providing required minimum insurance coverage for another motor vehicle, then a copy of the insurer´s declaration of coverage under the policy providing such required minimum insurance coverage for such other vehicle shall be considered satisfactory proof or evidence of required minimum insurance coverage for the vehicle, but only if accompanied by proof or evidence that the owner acquired ownership of the vehicle within the past 30 days.

Here is the code section which requires insurance on motor vehicles in the state... Again, you'll see no thirty day waiting period...

33-34-4.
No owner of a motor vehicle required to be registered in this state or any other person, other than a self-insurer as defined in this chapter, shall operate or authorize any other person to operate the motor vehicle unless the owner has motor vehicle liability insurance equivalent to that required as evidence of security for bodily injury and property damage liability under Chapter 9 of Title 40, the 'Motor Vehicle Safety Responsibility Act.'

If you have a claim you are covered w/ the same coverages you currently have on your policy. I see things like this all the time, every day someone buys a car, gets in an accident. shit happens man. The company does expect you to put it on the policy though, but there is no issue with coverage in the event of a claim. The only thing they can do is charge you a premium from the time you bought it to the current date, thats it. If you are talking about a few days, no sweat man.

Ok the thing is that I don't have a current policy so is it allright for me to bring my ma's insurance card for my current car and used that car as a safety for the car that I am buying.Do I have to write the title under my ma's name if I'm going to do that or it isn't neccesary at all?

ruah_23
09-15-2005, 10:01 PM
LOL, if he has no insurance then he is SOL. I'm assuming he has insurance now, or at least is on his moms policy...

I haven't bought the insurance yet and yes I'am under my ma's policy.:)

thinkfast®
09-15-2005, 10:04 PM
You must've done hella reading on the DMV site. I dont think this information applies to anything regarding coverage for a claim. If its a tag you are after, then of course you will need proof of insurance coverage, they (your insurance company) can fax a binder within 5 minutes. As far as coverage for a claim, you do not have to add the vehicle to your policy until 30 days are up, or the end of your policy- thats GA law. Pretty much goes any other state you are in, too. If your mom has your insurance for the car you are driving, that policy will cover the new purchase for the length of time I mentioned. Insurance has nothing to do w/ tags and registration, if its your mom insurance and you want the car in your name thats ok. If your company requires your mom be on the title (for whatever reason) advise them you want her added as additional interest on the vehicle, and you are set. :goodjob:

ruah_23
09-15-2005, 10:14 PM
You must've done hella reading on the DMV site.

No.Actually a friend of mine who is a PO send me that;) .My driving record is really bad and I can't afford to have on for the next 5 years.One ticket and they will end my probation period and terminate my employment, so I need to make sure. The next thing I don't want to happen to me is being given a DWI on the way back from va.

I dont think this information applies to anything regarding coverage for a claim. If its a tag you are after, then of course you will need proof of insurance coverage, they (your insurance company) can fax a binder within 5 minutes. As far as coverage for a claim, you do not have to add the vehicle to your policy until 30 days are up, or the end of your policy- thats GA law. Pretty much goes any other state you are in, too. If your mom has your insurance for the car you are driving, that policy will cover the new purchase for the length of time I mentioned. Insurance has nothing to do w/ tags and registration, if its your mom insurance and you want the car in your name thats ok. If your company requires your mom be on the title (for whatever reason) advise them you want her added as additional interest on the vehicle, and you are set. :goodjob:

Ok..all I should do is bring my mom's proof of insurance with me to VA and I'm just gonna show them my bill of sale and that card if I get pulled over right?

thinkfast®
09-15-2005, 10:18 PM
techinically you dont have to even show them the insurance card. If the cops an asshole he can ask for it, but VA and GA both report to the state electronically, so basically when he runs a tag he can see if you ahve insurance or not. With it being a new purchase of course you wont have any info on you, besides the Bill of Sale. That is sufficient proof to keep you out of getting a ticket.

ruah_23
09-15-2005, 10:24 PM
techinically you dont have to even show them the insurance card. If the cops an asshole he can ask for it, but VA and GA both report to the state electronically, so basically when he runs a tag he can see if you ahve insurance or not. With it being a new purchase of course you wont have any info on you, besides the Bill of Sale. That is sufficient proof to keep you out of getting a ticket.

Allright..thanks alot man!
now at least I can save some money from buying a new policy.:)