PDA

View Full Version : Loosing radiator Fluid... ?

VickNotic
12-29-2008, 06:47 PM
it's been bout a few days now, since last time i added in rad. fluid. But for some reason, seems like i'm loosing rad fluid. its not leaking from anywhere.

radiator is new, new thermostat. tell me what yall think.

southside
12-29-2008, 06:50 PM
Hmmmmmmmm are you positive its not leaking because old hoses can wear.And then small holes from pressure open and leaks.May want to check hoses not just the main ones but the smaller few on the back of the motor.

G.C
12-29-2008, 07:06 PM
When you installed the New Radiator did you keep on adding Coolant to the radiator after the thermostat opened up?

Barefoot
12-29-2008, 07:17 PM
do a rad comp test make sure its holding pressure. if its not the leak will show.

Tech5
12-29-2008, 07:21 PM
I am 100% Positive if its not
Leaking, its burning it!

Barefoot
12-29-2008, 07:25 PM
I am 100% Positive if its not
Leaking, its burning it!yup what i was going to say next didnt want to give him all the bad news at once.

Tech5
12-29-2008, 07:27 PM
Sorry I am such a Blunt type of guy!

dorin48
12-29-2008, 09:58 PM
One other possibility... the rad. cap. Commonly overlooked. Pressure builds, old spring gives out, coolant steams out. (no you cant see it happening)

Barefoot
12-30-2008, 07:13 AM
Sorry I am such a Blunt type of guy!some times u got to build them. because its fun to knock them down.

VickNotic
12-30-2008, 04:29 PM
yes when i installed the new radiator, i left it open and left the car running and kept adding in until full.

when running for bout a good 30-40min it would idle up and down, only when in idle after a good run on the road. now and then fan would not kick in sometimes also, temp would rise up, but when moving again. temp would drop back down? some1 whispered to me that when low on rad fluid it causes this problem? and so what else should i look into?

besides the little hoses behind the TB, temp sensor. :cheers: it drives fine and all besides those little problems..

and if it's burning it what does that mean??

Brian*
12-30-2008, 04:40 PM
Head gasket?? My mustang was doing that... (but go figure... it was a FORD!)

Atlblkz06
12-30-2008, 05:15 PM
Any coolant in oil?

VickNotic
12-30-2008, 08:42 PM
Any coolant in oil?

not that i know of, how can I check? and if it is?

Atlblkz06
12-30-2008, 09:30 PM
not that i know of, how can I check? and if it is?

Oh you'll know - it'll be kinda milky. Best way though is to do an oil change - and let the oil settle. the coolant will drop to the bottom.

I'm thinking head gasket: LINK (http://www.misterfixit.com/headgskt.htm)

yunglaosta
12-30-2008, 09:45 PM
Head gasket?? My mustang was doing that... (but go figure... it was a FORD!)

yup i was thinking that. try and see if da radiator hose is filled with pressure.

amandDA
12-31-2008, 12:13 AM
mine did that for about a week didnt see fluid anywhere... then my water pump went out...

VickNotic
12-31-2008, 12:15 AM
mine did that for about a week didnt see fluid anywhere... then my water pump went out...

i was thinking about the watepump, but waterpump is new also. fairly new everything, motor has just gotten around roughly 2k miles

amandDA
12-31-2008, 12:23 AM
well i dunno then unless its head gasket like has already been stated well good luck to u...

yunglaosta
12-31-2008, 12:34 AM
i was thinking about the watepump, but waterpump is new also. fairly new everything, motor has just gotten around roughly 2k miles

does dat mean u got a new motor? well yeah most likely its da head gasket...if theres no leaks and da radiator isnt cracked den it HAS to be the head gasket

VickNotic
12-31-2008, 12:38 AM
head gasket is new also haha

VickNotic
12-31-2008, 12:44 AM
but damm i'ma check 2morrow about the fluid in oil etc. but dammm hopefully it's not the gasket! shiEt hopefully it'll be a easy fixeR like

yunglaosta
12-31-2008, 01:05 AM
but damm i'ma check 2morrow about the fluid in oil etc. but dammm hopefully it's not the gasket! shiEt hopefully it'll be a easy fixeR like

damn dude idk? well its either or...u should get a radiator tester. just pump da air where u would normally put coolant in..it should show u where da leak is good luck

4doortypels
12-31-2008, 02:28 AM
could be low on VTEC fluid... well ill suggest it since no one has mentioned a slight drip from your heater core. check ur passenger side for damp carpet. i realize a noticable leak should have a coolant smell, depending on if your are using water, anti freeze, or any other fluid additives.

good luck, but i agree with the head gasket, and usually your car will have a white smoke out of the tail pipe.

Brian*
12-31-2008, 06:23 PM
head gasket is new also haha

Why did you change it in the first place? Was it just a random thing or did it blow?? If it did blow did you have the head shaved??? If not it may not be "true"

Just going through all the possibilities :cheers:

stephen
01-01-2009, 07:42 AM
Why did you change it in the first place? Was it just a random thing or did it blow?? If it did blow did you have the head shaved??? If not it may not be "true"

Just going through all the possibilities :cheers:

I agree...should've had the block decked too.

I had a customer who's civic kept overheating & low on fluid. it had a small crack in the NEW radiator that wouldn't leak fluid, but the fluid would "steam" out of it.

eventually the head gasket blew, and it would have that funky idle too.

only new advice I can give you...do a compression test & check the radiator overflow tank for oil/fuel smell & residue.

DON'T LET IT OVERHEAT! melted spark plug wires are a BEEYOTCH to remove!

VickNotic
01-01-2009, 02:38 PM
head gasket and misc, parts are new on it, because of a recent motor build. and theres no indication of fluid leaking anywhere so iono.

but it does steam alittle through the exhaust though so iono, wat tf it is ..I'm tired of this game now. i'ma most definately do something bout ti 4sure though,

& head was fresh from machine shop and was cleaned and shaved! bald like a baby 8d i guess i'ma have to find out the hard way! drive til it gives up i guess.. :(

yunglaosta
01-01-2009, 04:30 PM
head gasket and misc, parts are new on it, because of a recent motor build. and theres no indication of fluid leaking anywhere so iono.

but it does steam alot through the exhaust though so iono, wat tf it is .. so tired of this game now. i'ma most definately do something bout ti 4sure though,

haha yup head gasket then.

stephen
01-02-2009, 12:32 AM

but it does steam alittle through the exhaust though so iono, wat tf it is ..I'm tired of this game now. i'ma most definately do something bout ti 4sure though,

& head was fresh from machine shop and was cleaned and shaved! bald like a baby 8d i guess i'ma have to find out the hard way! drive til it gives up i guess.. :(

compression check & radiator pressure test man....save youself a MAJOR headache. they might've shaved the head & not deck the block. the motor I did had a dip between cylinders 3 & 4 on the block...head was still good.

I have a compression tester if you want to use one. it'll take you all of 5min to check.

also check your oil dipstick...see if it has more fluid than you put in. if water is getting in your oil then the oil level will be high.

yunglaosta
01-02-2009, 11:22 AM
or u can just drain ur motor oil and see if coolant comes out

VickNotic
01-06-2009, 03:39 PM
so whose got a commpression tester i can borrow? i'm located in CObb county!