PDA

View Full Version : DSM problems (I know that is redundant)

Motivation
12-29-2008, 10:39 AM
The clutch went out in my 1990 Eclipse GSX. So I had a new one ordered from Competition Clutch, along with the pressure plate and throw out bearing. After replacing the parts, we put everything back together, double checked everything, and the clutch wouldn't disengage. We tried bleeding it for a long time. We replaced the clutch master cylinder, bled the lines and still got air. Found out the slave cylinder was bad so we replaced that too and bled the lines, again. Still, clutch wouldn't disengage. We took tranny back out yesterday, and thought maybe it was a faulty pressure plate (other people have had that problem so I figured I might as well check) and we put in the old one. If anything, the clutch would slip because the old pressure plate is thinner than the new one, and the new clutch is thinner than the old one. We got everything back together, bled the lines just in case, and the pedal felt hard all the way to the floor now. Clutch will still not disengage... We have no idea what the problem could be. All advice is welcome!!! REPS for help!

Oh, and I'll go ahead and say it before everyone else decides to, "It's a DSM, that's the problem." :rolleyes:

stillaneon
12-29-2008, 10:46 AM
It's a DSM....

Now, where are my Reps.....

j/k

this baffles me man. hopefully someone will know. Have you asked on the DSM site yet?

STRteg
12-29-2008, 10:48 AM
damn... idk man that sucks though,you sure you got the right clutch kit?

Motivation
12-29-2008, 10:48 AM
It's a DSM....

Now, where are my Reps.....

j/k

this baffles me man. hopefully someone will know. Have you asked on the DSM site yet?

Here are your REPS-------> :2up:

lol, jk.

Yeah, I just posted this up on GADSM.org too... I have to call Johnny back... I might try to get the money up and have him come pick it up and take it back to his shop. :(

Motivation
12-29-2008, 10:49 AM
damn... idk man that sucks though,you sure you got the right clutch kit?

Yeah, it's the right one... Lines up perfect and matches the old one... Except for the old one used to work...

mitch lab
12-29-2008, 10:59 AM
is everything torque down correct? Check to see if the release fork is bent.

Motivation
12-29-2008, 11:01 AM
Everything is torqued down. I will check on the release fork. Thanks man.

Reps given to you three.

STRteg
12-29-2008, 11:17 AM
Damn well i hope you get it fixed asap

Motivation
12-29-2008, 11:32 AM
Thanks man... I need to get the car back on the road, quick.

jcs
12-29-2008, 11:39 AM
i was gonna say the same thing about the fork....but good luck hope you get it on the road soon

Motivation
12-29-2008, 11:46 AM
Appreciate it man. I just talked to a buddy of mine who works at his dad's shop... He says he thinks there MIGHT still be air in the line somewhere. He said these cars are really hard to get air out of once it gets in there. I am going to take master cylinder off and tilt it to see if any bubbles rise to the top. He said that is a good way to tell, either that or they gave me a faulty slave cylinder.

The thing about the fork is that it wasn't doing it before we changed the clutch, and the transmission never touched the ground or anything. Was always on a jack... But I will definately take a look at it.

X-Runner
12-29-2008, 11:49 AM
Do they sell pre-bleed master/slave setups for your car? Would have been the thing to get IMO

Motivation
12-29-2008, 11:51 AM
I am not sure... I was tight for money after paying for the clutch kit. But i am not sure if the pre-bled set up would help if it was in the line between the two. Not sure though. Oh well, it's definately a learning experience working with awd drivetrain. lol

jcs
12-29-2008, 11:55 AM
the lines are the place to start bro,bought a civic for 500 bucks that ole boy thought the tranny and everything was screwed cause it grinded like hell.come to find out the line from the slave to the other line on the frame ahd a hole so no brake fluid got to the slave....pulled it off a parts car and it became my DD...lol.but gl

Motivation
12-29-2008, 11:57 AM
lol. Well, you can't beat that for 500.

We have bled it numerous times for a LONG period of time... But who knows. I'll just hope that is in and be done with it... for a while.

X-Runner
12-29-2008, 12:02 PM
I am not sure... I was tight for money after paying for the clutch kit. But i am not sure if the pre-bled set up would help if it was in the line between the two. Not sure though. Oh well, it's definately a learning experience working with awd drivetrain. lol

Im talking about the whole deal: master, slave and lines all come as one piece ready to bolt in and go. Saves alot of headache lol

I dont know man, hope you get it figured out.

VickNotic
12-29-2008, 12:02 PM
i had a problem like this before! but mines was a easy fix though it was in a integra! which i replaced the clutch/slave/master cylinder. brand new. how it is from the shops i installed them, but same scenario as yours. and bleed til I gave up. So i thought since i took all the slave/master cylinder out im sure theres alot of air in them and so i took out the master cylinder again! and examined the differences from teh stock mcylinder and stock mcylinder. the differences was the nuts/screws that you adjust on the master cylinder, was off bout 1/2" away from how the stock mcylinder was, so i kinda messed with the adjustment nut bolt. got it to where it sits ressembles to stock and the installed the mcylinder back, bleed it again! this time I borrowed a buddys air compressor bleeder, and within 10mins or so wabammm i was back on the road!

well thought i share my scenario with you, hopefully it might give u some help ..

Motivation
12-29-2008, 12:39 PM
Im talking about the whole deal: master, slave and lines all come as one piece ready to bolt in and go. Saves alot of headache lol

I dont know man, hope you get it figured out.

Oh ok, I didn't realize they all came as one piece... Sounds like it would save headache. lol

Appreciate it man.

Reps

Motivation
12-29-2008, 12:41 PM
i had a problem like this before! but mines was a easy fix though it was in a integra! which i replaced the clutch/slave/master cylinder. brand new. how it is from the shops i installed them, but same scenario as yours. and bleed til I gave up. So i thought since i took all the slave/master cylinder out im sure theres alot of air in them and so i took out the master cylinder again! and examined the differences from teh stock mcylinder and stock mcylinder. the differences was the nuts/screws that you adjust on the master cylinder, was off bout 1/2" away from how the stock mcylinder was, so i kinda messed with the adjustment nut bolt. got it to where it sits ressembles to stock and the installed the mcylinder back, bleed it again! this time I borrowed a buddys air compressor bleeder, and within 10mins or so wabammm i was back on the road!

well thought i share my scenario with you, hopefully it might give u some help ..

Hmmm... Well, we adjusted the nut on the M-cylinder both ways to see if I could get a clutch... It just didn't seem to help anything. If we adjusted it in the clutch pedal felt weak. If we adjusted it out, it feels like the pedal is hard but just not working... I will definately take another look at it. And if it took about 10 mins with an air compressor bleeder, then who knows by hand. lol

Thanks man. Reps.

Motivation
12-29-2008, 12:44 PM
It was also suggested to me, that it might be the pivot ball of the pedal assembly. I have no clue on how to check if that would be the case, though.

stillaneon
12-29-2008, 12:53 PM
I repped everyone as well