PDA

View Full Version : Got a few subaru questions (legacy material)

green91
12-27-2008, 08:53 PM
I just picked up a 93 Legacy Sport Turbo, 5spd. Im going to try and pull the engine out within a few weeks but i suspect a broken rod.

From what i've read, most of the EJ series engines are pretty similiar. My car has the EJ22t which apparently are pretty strong internally but are hard to find and cost alot to replace when you can actually find one.. which brings me to the EJ20R.

I've seen these engines on ebay for pretty cheap (~$800). I have no desire to retain the twin turbo setup. My goal is to find an inexpensive replacment engine that will be reliable.

Few questions ive got:

1) I believe the ej20r will bolt right in to the car, and i can use my existing transmission. Is this true?

2) Would it be easier to just run the ej20r on the stock ecu for the car and just decrease the fuel amount with a fuel controller of some sort?

3) Does anybody know if a WRX mani/turbo will bolt into the legacy chassis? Seems like it would but i'd like to hear some experienced people. I believe my car has a ihi rhb5 which is very small, i would like a turbo that could get me into the 200~250whp range but i would prefer to stay somewhat OEM to keep the cost low.

Im not willing to dump TONS of money into the car. I know someone is going to suggest a STI block and t3/t4 but that isnt what im looking for.

Sport1.3
12-27-2008, 09:07 PM
yes the ej20r will bolt right in, yes its a very common mod

though, the ej22t is a STOUT motor itself.....i'f i were you i would look for another ej22 and rebuild it with stronger internals.....its the same block as the infamous 22b sti...with modifications of course, but strong non the less. I actually had a 93 and a 92 wagon as well ....a white SS. (sport sedan), and a turbo wagon....i still hate having sold both

would love to see some pics :)

are you on www.bbs.legacycentral.org ? you would be better off there finding your other answers

Sport1.3
12-27-2008, 09:10 PM
my old white SS. :D

http://www.importatlanta.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=28466&stc=1

http://www.importatlanta.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=28471&stc=1

Sport1.3
12-27-2008, 09:11 PM
the stock turbo BTW is ihi VF11

deadbolt makes a modified 16g that can bolt up to your stock housing/exhaust mani.....for 200-250hp range

MrBoostedCRX
12-27-2008, 09:23 PM
with those 800 put it down as a payment on a 2005 Turbo Legacy, my brother has one and its badass!!!, they go for 18 now

green91
12-27-2008, 09:27 PM
Gotcha,

I have been reading on that legacycentral site and will continue to keep reading on there..

Nice White SS, this one i picked up is actually the dark maroon color. These cars are apparently pretty rare, ive kept my eye open for a while now and finally came across this one. The body is in very good condition but will need paint once i get it mechanically sound.

Ive read the ej22t is a fantastic block with poorly flowing heads.. I'll keep my eye open for another one but they dont seem to be readily available anymore without spending a ton of money lol. The Ej20r just seems like a good choice since the blocks are still pretty strong and are available with low mileage locally. Im wondering what effect the lower displacement block would have on the tune though and what i would need to correct the fuel.

green91
12-27-2008, 09:28 PM
with those 800 put it down as a payment on a 2005 Turbo Legacy, my brother has one and its badass!!!, they go for 18 now

If i wanted a new legacy there would be one in my driveway. I enjoy buying older cars and repairing/modifying them.

MrBoostedCRX
12-27-2008, 09:32 PM
ok i got you.......

Sport1.3
12-27-2008, 09:37 PM
Gotcha,

I have been reading on that legacycentral site and will continue to keep reading on there..

Nice White SS, this one i picked up is actually the dark maroon color. These cars are apparently pretty rare, ive kept my eye open for a while now and finally came across this one. The body is in very good condition but will need paint once i get it mechanically sound.

Ive read the ej22t is a fantastic block with poorly flowing heads.. I'll keep my eye open for another one but they dont seem to be readily available anymore without spending a ton of money lol. The Ej20r just seems like a good choice since the blocks are still pretty strong and are available with low mileage locally. Im wondering what effect the lower displacement block would have on the tune though and what i would need to correct the fuel.

my 93 wagon made 211whp on the stock turbo, FMIC, and a boost controller....it wasnt "fast" but it was alot of fun :cheers: ....that was a VJ10 on a 4EAT tranny too.....which i would never suggest lol

green91
12-27-2008, 09:39 PM
Thats pretty respectable considering how small these turbos are lol. Im not expecting to make a race car out of it, it would probably take 300+whp to get this legacy to the speed of my boosted EF.

When you setup your fmic, did you modify an impreza kit or just make custom charge piping?

yungdz
12-27-2008, 11:00 PM
rebuild the 22t with 22 sti internals and boost the hell out of that bish!

green91
12-28-2008, 08:15 AM
If the block is OK i will just rebuild the engine, but it sounds like its got a broken rod, in which case the block is probably trashed which is why im looking for information on a replacement engine

Sport1.3
12-28-2008, 01:09 PM
Thats pretty respectable considering how small these turbos are lol. Im not expecting to make a race car out of it, it would probably take 300+whp to get this legacy to the speed of my boosted EF.

When you setup your fmic, did you modify an impreza kit or just make custom charge piping?

i purchased a FMIC set up off BBS.LC on a group buy. It was meant for the ej20r, but a few modifications and i was good to go. You would not believe the difference it makes. then an exhaust and more boost will keep you happy until you can go bigger turbo

green91
12-28-2008, 01:12 PM
I took some pictures of the car today, and ive gotten all the interior out cleaning the inside of the car.

Sport1.3
12-28-2008, 01:16 PM
post em up

green91
12-28-2008, 01:20 PM
All the pics ive taken so far of the car:

http://www.halffastmotorsports.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=6

GTScoob
02-17-2009, 04:03 AM
How's this going?

I say, sell the motor and do an EJ20 or EJ25 swap. That 2.2 is decent but they have overheating problems due to the poorly designed closed block design.

Or keep the bottom end and throw some JDM heads/cams on there with a matching ECU.

Again, like I said in the twin turbo thread, if the closed deck design was vastly superior you'd see it in modern motors, instead of in these 17-18yr old motors and the 22B motor from 10yrs back. Some guys love these blocks and you can get a 205 for almost nothing these days, you could probably sell the block and pay for a fresher 2.0 that will take you just as far.

green91
02-17-2009, 07:48 AM
I bought the car and have nearly got the ej22t reassembled. I found the aftermarket oil pump had the screws back out of the plate that holds the oil drive gear in and it bled off oil pressure, ate up the bearing on #2 rod. I picked up a new crank & rods. I had considered swapping on dohc heads but im not looking to make a ton of power with this car so the heads should suffice for the time being.

GTScoob
02-17-2009, 12:55 PM
You clean out the heads and oil passages really well? I'd hate to see something else get trashed after repairing a spun bearing.

green91
02-17-2009, 01:27 PM
Yes. This isn't my first engine build, ive been a master tech for several years. The most difficult parts to clean were the rocker arms, i had to disassemble them to clean them correctly and it apparently got metal in a few lifters ive had to replace. The heads were actually very easy to clean.

green91
03-06-2009, 06:16 PM
I finally had time to finish the engine ,its ready to go back in the car as soon as i can borrow an engine hoist.

wannab20hatch
03-07-2009, 03:55 AM
i got one you can use if need be man. let me know.

green91
03-09-2009, 07:10 PM
Hey thanks ron, i didnt see this and your PM until after id seen you at work on sat LOL. I had already borrowed anthony's hoist.

Good news!
I got the car running today (woohoo!!!), started on the first hit.

wannab20hatch
03-09-2009, 07:16 PM
Lol no problem man. Glad you got it running. We thought about hitting you up yesterday after we got the rex going.

green91
03-09-2009, 07:26 PM
Yeah i still had a little work left before it would start. Ive still got a few odds and ends to fix on it, and its got a bit of a lifter tick but seems to run pretty good. Ive gotta fix something up with the PCV system on this thing too, i managed to break half the pcv hoses lol.

wannab20hatch
03-10-2009, 02:53 AM
i hear ya man. so what are your plans for it? rally beast? :)

green91
03-10-2009, 03:15 PM
I got to drive the car for the first time today, since i bought it blown up the condition of the trans etc was somewhat unknown. Differentials and trans are all very smooth and quiet! Only bad thing is the car is pretty slow LOL. I'd hate to feel what one of these cars is like without the turbo. Maybe once i get past the break in period i can start to modify it some.

EDIT: fixed the recirc valve hose, car is much quicker now!

wannab20hatch
03-10-2009, 03:43 PM
your just use to driving the hatch. :)

green91
03-10-2009, 04:35 PM
Yeah, its a different feeling for sure. This subaru is much more neutral handling than my hatch, but i think this car makes it speed through torque and longer gearing whereas my honda makes its speed through revving and short gearing. The turbo on this car feels alot like a damn srt4 lol. its pretty much always in boost.

green91
03-14-2009, 07:45 PM
I trailered hte car to work thursday, fixed a recirc hoses for the BOV and the car runs and pulls 100% better. Flushed the trans fluid & rear diff fluid, flushed the brake & clutch fluid, converted the a/c to r134a (blows nice and cold now!!), and cleaned the sunroof drains. I can't wait to get a tag for it so i can drive it some.