PDA

View Full Version : 2002 5 spd civic tranny problems for reverse

Schugg
12-24-2008, 06:10 PM
i posted this in general tech atleast a month ago and havent got a response, so ill try here.

when my neighbor sticks his car in reverse it will go into gear fine, but when he tries to start driving it just grinds, and sometimes it will actually catch, and either stay there or pop out after a few feet, but other gears work fine. is this just his reverse gear stripped down or is there anything else it could be?

first, he thought maybe the linkage was bent, well i looked, its not....because its a cable tranny. then i figured maybe the cable needs adjusted. so i took the intake parts off and looked at where it meets the tranny, manually put it into reverse from there, and got the same. wont catch, or just grind when i really push it in. so i would assume me doing it by hand knocks out the cables needing adjusted.

then figuring maybe i would just get lucky i bled the clutch and that didnt help. but while doing it, i seen the slave cylinder have a plastic zip tie restraint type looking thing around it like a jock strap or something. it goes around the bleeding valve, and 2 arms reach down the cylinder sides into the dust cover and snap into a plastic ring thats on the ball end of the probe boot(dont know specific name of those peices). well one arm was popped off so i put it back but when the clutch was pressed it did the same thing, and the one arm popped back off. i dont know what that is or dues but i have never seen it before. if i need to i can try to get some pics of it.

i also check the tranny fluid, and its kinda like a oil that is burnt a light brown/yellow. im pretty sure its not actual tranny fluid, and ive heard using regular oil or the wrong oil can break down some sort of seals in the tranny causing internal leaks/problems. could any of that be the cause and will putting the correct fluid in along with some of the thick tranny additive help?

last thing can give info on, is i noticed that when going to reverse the tranny makes a different noise, kinda like there is a metal ball in there that is getting knocked to the side when its going into the reverse position.

if all this comes down to a simple fix and anyone can tell me what the deal is i would appreciate it! if it comes down to being cheaper to just get a new tranny, then what all transmissions will properly bolt and wire into a 2002 civic, 1.6 motor, with no problems. not sure on the actual motor code, just know its 1.6, if i need it i can go get it.