PDA

View Full Version : Biker on 400

SicStang03
12-24-2008, 01:30 PM
I just got a call from my roommate telling me about this biker that just passed him (thinks it was a GSX-R). He said the guy was doing at least 130-150 weaving thorough traffic and in emergency lane. So after that guy passed him he said he was thinking about how that dude has a death wish. Well less than a minute later a Police Charger passes him at over 100. So what I don't understand is, unless that biker murdered someone, why even pursue him?

What do you guys think about situations like this and when cops should back off.

Also, check news tomorrow for squid report

UpSideDownDesi
12-24-2008, 01:37 PM
they should back of, and put a chopper on him. Not only the biker trying outrun the cops and risking his own life, but at the same time putting others are very high risk.

May be stay hot on his tail if it's late hours of nite and no-to very light traffic. Makes no sense on a busy afternoon.

FasTech
12-24-2008, 01:45 PM
Ever since the cops got those new chargers they think that they're "THE SHIT" and can catch anything. Or atleast thats how they are down here. So he probably don't want to accept defeat..lol

Oz10
12-24-2008, 01:47 PM
I think this is another example of cops trying to flex there muscles. They never really get to chase anyone at speeds like that. So instead of letting him go like they SHOULD do, they tried to chase him down without thinking about the ramifications. A bike can make it through traffic a lot faster and safer (for everyone else) than a car. Cops need to chill the fuck out.

FasTech
12-24-2008, 01:49 PM
I think this is another example of cops trying to flex there muscles. They never really get to chase anyone at speeds like that. So instead of letting him go like they SHOULD do, they tried to chase him down without thinking about the ramifications. A bike can make it through traffic a lot faster and safer (for everyone else) than a car. Cops need to chill the fuck out.

I agree with you 100%.

dtmcnamara
12-24-2008, 01:56 PM
the bike probably got away....cops = slow

gixxers = fast

slow<fast

so the answer is

biker > cop

see. the math works out

unless hes a squid, or theres a chopper than it messed the entire equations up

DieselNuts
12-24-2008, 02:01 PM
I worked @ a Kawasaki shop and bike cops would come in there to get their bikes worked on. I would shoot the shit w/them while they were there. I actually asked one of them what they did when a sport bike went flying by. He said that if he clocked them @ more than 100mph, he wouldn't bother...and thats with him being on a bike too.

Of course, this was just his personal outlook on the situation. If you get a cop that was picked on all through high school that drives a charger, he thinks he can catch anything...

roche
12-24-2008, 02:15 PM
Can someone explain what a squid is?

dtmcnamara
12-24-2008, 02:35 PM
per the wiki site:

Squid is a slang term used to describe an irresponsible motorcyclist. The term is common among motorcyclists in North America.

The term is generally used to describe a motorcyclist who rides aggressively, erratically or beyond their capabilities. Squids are perceived as overconfident and often ride without appropriate safety equipment, such as a helmet, gloves, leather jacket, riding pants, or boots.

The origin of the term squid is ambiguous. It is commonly said to be a contraction of squirrely and kid, or less commonly, squished and kid. a female rider who exhibits these characteristics is typically called a squirrel, for squirrely girl.

Squid is also described occasionally as an acronym, although these are likely backronyms.

o "Stupidly Quick, Underdressed, Ignorant and Dangerous"
o "Stupidly Quick, Underdressed and Imminently Dead"
o "Super Quick Until I Die"
o "Speeding Quickly Until I Die"

Another possibility is that the term originally referred to newly-inducted sailors based in San Diego in the 1960s, who sometimes used inexpensive two-stroke motorcycles for transportation. The term could have originally referred to these unprotected, inexperienced "marine life" moving through traffic rapidly and leaving a trail of black "ink" (the characteristic dark colored two-stroke exhaust) behind. Squid was also a more general derogatory term for sailors of this time.

Motorcyclists will often note similarities between how a squid rides and the manner in which a squid swims. Squids may appear unable to change direction while swimming without first coming to a near stop, but then accelerate very rapidly. Beginning motorcyclists may often experience difficulty negotiating turns at normal rates of speed, but have a tendency to ride very fast on straight sections of road.

Actions that may cause a motorcyclist to be identified as a squid are those that are seen as reckless or excessive, such as speeding or performing wheelies or stoppies, especially in the midst of other traffic. A rider may also be labeled a squid by their lack of appropriate attire, such as by riding while wearing shorts, ball caps, flip flops, and so-called wifebeater shirts, or no shirt at all. The wearing of tank tops by "squids" was satirized by Ian Johnston who wrote an article that was widely distributed on the internet claiming that a Corona tank top was safer than wearing motorcycle racing leathers.[1]

Because a squid eschews all or many of the social and legal norms of riding behavior, they are usually looked upon with derision by experienced motorcyclists, who may also refer to them as "organ donors", "zip-splats", "skin crayons",[2] or "soon-to-be ex-motorcyclists".

It is important to note that a lack of safety equipment is not normative of squidly behavior. Many squids wear safety equipment, although this is often alleged to be for aesthetic purposes. The term is most often applied as an insult to a rider's behavior or skill.

redrumracer
12-24-2008, 03:09 PM
imo high speed chases arent worth it unless they have committed a felony or are a wanted felon. even then it would be smarter to put the choppers on them. once you have the tag number you should quit the chase and mail them the ticket. AND if you have to mail them the ticket because they refused to stop then they should get the max fine and punishment. including eluding an officer, no leniency what so ever. if you stop a simple ticket should suffice.

FasTech
12-24-2008, 03:12 PM
I want to know if they caught him or not. Even though I doubt they did unless he wrecked.

X-Runner
12-24-2008, 03:16 PM
I watched a bike chase come to an end once. The bike passed me on a 2 lane road well over 100 MPH. Then came the cop car. We were coming up on an intersection... someone stopped at the redlight opened his door to spit and.... BAM! biker hit the door. Fuggin epic.

SicStang03
12-24-2008, 03:25 PM
I want to know if they caught him or not. Even though I doubt they did unless he wrecked.

If there is nothing in the news tomorrow about a biker crashing or dying after a high speed chase I would assume he got away cause I know damn well he wasn't getting caught :crazy:

This was right around the North Ridge exit BTW

tdurr
12-24-2008, 03:29 PM
I want a bike... :ninja:

quicksix
12-24-2008, 03:37 PM
Its stupid for a cop to chase a bike and the cop is putting innocent drivers lives in danger by him tryng to chase the bike.

quickdodgeŽ
12-24-2008, 03:39 PM
What do you guys think about situations like this and when cops should back off.

I think it's great. I always hope that the officer "forcing" the speeder to keep going will cause the speeder to wreck and forego his driving (and/or living) privileges. Later, QD.

SicStang03
12-24-2008, 03:48 PM
I think it's great. I always hope that the officer "forcing" the speeder to keep going will cause the speeder to wreck and forego his driving (and/or living) privileges. Later, QD.

Yes, I know many others agree w/ you. However, pursuing someone at these speeds (especially if it's to give them a ticket) is endangering everyone on the roads. I realize the biker will face certain death if he crashes at those speeds, but can you imagine the damage a 500+ lb bike can do at 130+ MPH. The police should back off for that reason IMO

quickdodgeŽ
12-24-2008, 03:54 PM
Yes, I know many others agree w/ you. However, pursuing someone at these speeds (especially if it's to give them a ticket) is endangering everyone on the roads. I realize the biker will face certain death if he crashes at those speeds, but can you imagine the damage a 500+ lb bike can do at 130+ MPH. The police should back off for that reason IMO

As long as no real citizens are endangered, fuck what damage a bike and rider could cause. You know? To come upon a scene where an idiot biker or "street racer" slammed into a bridge pillar at 100+ mph and see human remains scattered, smothered and UNcovered would make me laugh. Lolol. Later, QD.

Tuan
12-24-2008, 04:08 PM
As long as no real citizens are endangered, fuck what damage a bike and rider could cause. You know? To come upon a scene where an idiot biker or "street racer" slammed into a bridge pillar at 100+ mph and see human remains scattered, smothered and UNcovered would make me laugh. Lolol. Later, QD.I agree that a cop should enforce the law on stupid bikers. However, chasing a bike over 100+ mph in a non controlled enviroment is not safe for anyone period. I sure wouldn't like to see a bike come flying at me in the rearview mirror anyday. And yes i am a real citizen!

SicStang03
12-24-2008, 04:09 PM
As long as no real citizens are endangered, fuck what damage a bike and rider could cause. You know? To come upon a scene where an idiot biker or "street racer" slammed into a bridge pillar at 100+ mph and see human remains scattered, smothered and UNcovered would make me laugh. Lolol. Later, QD.

But if you don't know the outcome of the chase, it is better to not risk it. Think about that charger hitting someone trying to catch the bike. I know I would be one rich mutha fucka if I got injured by a cop chasing a bike at 130+ for a speeding ticket :D

Tech5
12-24-2008, 04:19 PM
Ever since the cops got those new chargers they think that they're "THE SHIT" and can catch anything. Or atleast thats how they are down here. So he probably don't want to accept defeat..lol

Very true But I showed a few that they don't have shltt but another 4dr POS!

A skilled rider can leave them with ease!

Tech5
12-24-2008, 04:20 PM

Waffle house talk?

§treet_§peed
12-24-2008, 04:23 PM
i think with all high speed chases they shouldn't pursue. i mean like some one said, if its late and/or there isn't much traffic, then yeah go for it. but the big headed cops shouldn't be allowed to continue just cause they are the law. i mean im all for getting criminals for what they deserve. but not at risking hurting innocent people.

SmackedInATL
12-24-2008, 04:36 PM
Whats a real citizen?

quickdodgeŽ
12-24-2008, 05:08 PM
Whats a real citizen?

Someone who actually gives a shit. Not these idiot bikers that think they're above the laws and the moronic "street racers" that think they are the only ones on the road. Common sense, really. Later, QD.

Tech5
12-24-2008, 05:24 PM
Someone who actually gives a shit. Not these idiot bikers that think they're above the laws and the moronic "street racers" that think they are the only ones on the road. Common sense, really. Later, QD.
I guess that rules me out huh!

lol...j/k

XLR8NMR2
12-24-2008, 05:44 PM
it's only a crime if you get caught!

G.C
12-24-2008, 05:52 PM
I disagree with you guys. If you let one fly by, then they all fly by. There going to think if they go over 100mph, they won't get chased.

Take Japan as a example. Police are weak over there. There not allowed to ram into you like they do in america, there not allowed to pursue after you after a while, there not allowed to shoot you, so many other rules that stop them from catching them. Thats why they can do whatever they want on the street, cause they know they won't get caught.(bosozoku).

Tell them to do that shit in america, a cop will ram right through them like a bowling ball or shoot you or chase after you for so fucking long you will get a cramp on your ass.

TheGrillMan
12-24-2008, 05:55 PM
no they should not take chase if they are sitting still and are passed by a bike doing over 100

as far as cops thinking that there chargers can catch bikes

LOL

i know of a few dawson county sherrifs that think that exactly

SicStang03
12-24-2008, 06:45 PM
I disagree with you guys. If you let one fly by, then they all fly by. There going to think if they go over 100mph, they won't get chased.

Take Japan as a example. Police are weak over there. There not allowed to ram into you like they do in america, there not allowed to pursue after you after a while, there not allowed to shoot you, so many other rules that stop them from catching them. Thats why they can do whatever they want on the street, cause they know they won't get caught.(bosozoku).

Tell them to do that shit in america, a cop will ram right through them like a bowling ball or shoot you or chase after you for so fucking long you will get a cramp on your ass.

I agree to an extent. There still needs to be a thresh hold set IMO. Like said above: passed while sitting still, or in traffic

Atlblkz06
12-24-2008, 07:56 PM
I think the cop was going somewhere else and you came to the wrong conclusion.

SicStang03
12-24-2008, 08:16 PM
I think the cop was going somewhere else and you came to the wrong conclusion.

yea, cops love traveling at high rates of speed down 400 for shits and giggles

tdurr
12-24-2008, 08:32 PM
^^ its happened. I seent it wit meh own 2 eyez!!

SicStang03
12-24-2008, 08:43 PM
^^ its happened. I seent it wit meh own 2 eyez!!

LOL, troof!! But if someone passed you at 130+ just before it only makes sense

Kasper
12-24-2008, 08:45 PM
I know in certin counties cops arent allowed to chase motorcycles. riverdales one of them, thats because they know that cops put more people at risk by persuing the motorcycle then if they were to let them go. not to mention how many cops have caused accidents just trying to chase. but honestly i dont think they should have to chase. we give them so much money for helicopers and fuel, they should use them more! but thats my thaughts on it..

tdurr
12-24-2008, 08:53 PM
LOL, troof!! But if someone passed you at 130+ just before it only makes sense

its worse when ur chasing a car(ricer style :boobies:) and then get passed by another car doing 130+...

Grimm Reeper
12-24-2008, 09:01 PM
Very true But I showed a few that they don't have shltt but another 4dr POS!

A skilled rider can leave them with ease!

x2

but whether or not if you're going fast or slow, you're still at risk, because any moron behind the wheel of car or truck who doesn't look in their side view mirrors and just come over in front of you cutting you off to the point that you could wreck. I speak from experience, that they'll just get over and give you that, "WTF you looking at me like I'm in the wrong" expression. :lmfao:

XLR8NMR2
12-24-2008, 09:04 PM
I know of some cars/bikes that can out run a helicopter and when that happens wtf are the police gonna do then? send a police f18 fighter jet?

I thought that the law passed in atlanta a long time ago saying police can't chase bikes but maybe I was wrong

gtrmonkey
12-24-2008, 09:28 PM
You know the irony between the cops think there chargers are fast is quite humorous. You want to know why, The Cop chargers weight on avg above 1000lbs over the stock Charger. And the only mod they have is a chip tune. So it really slower than a stock charger. Which is pretty fucking slow. Another think cops only take a 3 day drving course according to motor trend which is no where near the instruction cailbare of one pro track day. Personally I think America need to revalute there law enforcement. Frist off Your giving somebody without a college education more power then leaders of our country. Then you your giving them a 3 day driver course and expect them to have better judgement then our people on the road. Come on give me a fuckin break.

Tech5
12-24-2008, 09:32 PM
Its not the helicopter your trying to run from Its that camara that ZOOMS in 5 miles with ease that catchs chase you down until you give up!

They can just tell everyone where your going an plan blocks, etc until they catch you

I know of some cars/bikes that can out run a helicopter and when that happens wtf are the police gonna do then? send a police f18 fighter jet?

I thought that the law passed in atlanta a long time ago saying police can't chase bikes but maybe I was wrong

Tech5
12-24-2008, 09:34 PM
You know the irony between the cops think there chargers are fast is quite humorous. You want to know why, The Cop chargers weight on avg above 1000lbs over the stock Charger. And the only mod they have is a chip tune. So it really slower than a stock charger. Which is pretty fucking slow. Another think cops only take a 3 day drving course according to motor trend which is no where near the instruction cailbare of one pro track day. Personally I think America need to revalute there law enforcement. Frist off Your giving somebody without a college education more power then leaders of our country. Then you your giving them a 3 day driver course and expect them to have better judgement then our people on the road. Come on give me a fuckin break.
fast we are not racing 1/4 miles times, they can hit 160-170 mph so as long as they can see you they can catch you

I owned a charger R/T with lots of upgrades an they can run !
85+ they are sick

Grimm Reeper
12-24-2008, 09:34 PM
Its not the helicopter your trying to run from Its that camara that ZOOMS in 5 miles with ease that catchs chase you down until you give up!

They can just tell everyone where your going an plan blocks, etc until they catch you

Man you already know to head to ATL :lmfao:

Kaiser
12-24-2008, 11:34 PM
they should back of, and put a chopper on him. Not only the biker trying outrun the cops and risking his own life, but at the same time putting others are very high risk.

May be stay hot on his tail if it's late hours of nite and no-to very light traffic. Makes no sense on a busy afternoon.

Why does it make more sense when it's late hours? Police should never, EVER pursue in that manner under ANY conditions. The problem lately has been that the police pursue for things that aren't even worth pursuing over. For example, drunk driving tickets. Wow, what a bright idea, stop someone for drunk driving then pursue them for 10 minutes at high speeds. Why not just radio back the tag number and follow them at a distance to see where they go and pray you don't end up finding them plowed into someone else. Chasing at high speeds just gets people killed over and over again. Makes me want to vomit every time I meet a cop who insists on telling me why it's a good idea for the police to even have V8's. Or V6's. Or Automatics. Why they don't get four-cylinder diesel sipper manuals is beyond me. A car similar to a diesel Jetta could do everything the police needed and then some, and be quick enough to pursue if god forbid some kind of Brian Nichols incident were to happen. Ironically, even when that shit does happen the system is so flawed lately that criminal justice is a joke.

Edit: And while a police charger might ~in theory~ be able to hit 160/170 or be able to do that on a wide open straight track, no cop I've ever met would be able to handle that car at those speeds on any road with any imperfections, twists and turns or traffic. Not a car that sized with the shitty heavy-duty long-life tires they put on there. Get real.

quickdodgeŽ
12-25-2008, 07:30 AM
Police should never, EVER pursue in that manner under ANY conditions.

You're kidding right? Hail yeah, if conditions exist, the cops SHOULD chase down someone until they either stop or crash into someTHING and maybe extinguish themselves. Who cares about the offender? Later, QD.

SmackedInATL
12-25-2008, 08:26 AM
You're kidding right? Hail yeah, if conditions exist, the cops SHOULD chase down someone until they either stop or crash into someTHING and maybe extinguish themselves. Who cares about the offender? Later, QD.

Who cares about the people on 400 that day just driving to finish Christmas shopping so they could go home to their families? Damn dude.

quickdodgeŽ
12-25-2008, 08:54 AM
Who cares about the people on 400 that day just driving to finish Christmas shopping so they could go home to their families? Damn dude.

Hey, idiot. Re-read my post and see if you can spot the couple of key words I purposely included to make my statement stand more firm than a 19 year old virgin in a brothel. Later, QD.

slow_hatch
12-25-2008, 09:57 AM
I agree, they can't just not chase anyone going over 100mph. If that was the case everyone on a bike would just run over 100 on the interstate all the time. I doubt the Charger was actually pursuing the evading motorcycles, more like following to pick up the remaining pieces. Most of the time the motorcyclist is going to crash out anyways. It most instances the crashing bike only takes its self out. Hell my bike will only run 120, but Chargers can't go off road very well :D ;)

Kaiser
12-25-2008, 01:09 PM
Hey, idiot. Re-read my post and see if you can spot the couple of key words I purposely included to make my statement stand more firm than a 19 year old virgin in a brothel. Later, QD.

I read your post QD, and I'd LOVE to agree with you. I'm NOT a big fan of the idea of people being able to evade the police. The problem comes from the fact that police officers are as human as we are, and could MISjudge conditions. This leads to pursuits where the conditions ARE dangerous and INNOCENT people endangered (Hurt, often killed, what you don't see on 'Cops') all because of a cowboy cop who starts chasing after someone flees from a 10 over ticket. They already have the liscense plate, they know the general area, and have full rights now that someone's evaded to get a search warrant of the person's home. There's 100% better ways to deal with the situation than high speed chases using these ridiculous gas-hogging smog-emitting emissions-exempt hunk of domestic crap. A turbo-diesel Jetta will easily get up to the speeds of most pursuits and allow a cop to reach a scene VERY quickly. It's also at least as stable at high speeds than the significantly heavier crown vic and charger are.

Do I think a zero-pursuit policy is a PERFECT solution? No, but it CERTAINLY endangers far less people than the current ones. There's some psychotic idea here when it comes to Japan that people do whatever they want and get away with it because the police can't pursue. No. The police stop pursuit and head to where you live and tell your neighbors. Your neighbors are then going to call up the local police officer (Who they know because he drops by usually once a week to chat) and tell them they saw you. Bam, cop shows up at your house to have a few words with you. As far as enforcement on the streets, they have a very different perception than we do. Wait until you're found at-fault for causing an accident with injuries in Japan. You think that's a big deal here, you haven't seen anything yet. You simply cannot compare two totally alien and seperate cultures, so let's simply leave Japan out of this and talk about AMERICA, AMERICAN COPS, AMERICAN LAW, and AMERICAN DRIVERS if we're going to have any kind of USEFUL conversation at all.

Otherwise feel free to continue with the regular business of the Lounge.

DeutscheBAG!
12-25-2008, 03:48 PM
imagine the attitudes if they drove this
http://novus2.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/cadillac_police_car_lrg.jpg

SL33P3R
12-25-2008, 08:39 PM
Or the z06 in the background...

Evil Goat
12-26-2008, 12:14 PM
you cant outrun the radio...get the tag #....end of story

collins
12-26-2008, 12:40 PM
jeez, i'd hate to see the repair bill of the ctsv or z06 after an attempted pit maneuver...