PDA

View Full Version : turbo for miata questions?

4dmin
12-23-2008, 01:52 PM
note: i'm a dub guy and don't know jack shit about miatas

ok, so my pops got a pretty nice for 800$ (93, manual, 90k miles on it) and it runs fine, etc... i was thinking about giving it some more pep b/c it is a slug of a car and really needs boost...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/mazda-miata-1-6-motor-16g-complete-turbo-kit-new-item_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a3Q7 c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQha shZitem300282139008QQitemZ300282139008QQptZMotorsQ 5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

what do you guys think of 16g kit like this? pros/cons? what would you suggest? i know there are some supercharge applications as well for this motor. i'm not looking to make a drift/drag car just a little more fun for my pops who is late 50's.

4dmin
12-24-2008, 01:12 PM
com'on no one on here got miata info for me

Thighs
12-24-2008, 01:18 PM
IMO turbos are the way to go for miatas. they dont have much power to begin with, so supercharging wont be as beneficial. the engines are pretty bulletproof and can handle up to 15-16lbs stock, and more with a simple head gasket/studs upgrade.

the kit you linked looks pretty good actually. id go with a small turbo (less lag ftw) unless you wanna make it a monster.

OneSlow5pt0
12-24-2008, 02:16 PM
S/C go better on 1.8L from what ive seen,but yea a saw turbo and tune will be fine for that car.

4dmin
12-24-2008, 02:18 PM
IMO turbos are the way to go for miatas. they dont have much power to begin with, so supercharging wont be as beneficial. the engines are pretty bulletproof and can handle up to 15-16lbs stock, and more with a simple head gasket/studs upgrade.

the kit you linked looks pretty good actually. id go with a small turbo (less lag ftw) unless you wanna make it a monster.

what kind of pwr would a 16g kit make on that miata? i know there are tons of motor swaps available including ls1 but is anything cost effective or turbo really the way to go?

4dmin
12-24-2008, 02:18 PM
S/C go better on 1.8L from what ive seen,but yea a saw turbo and tune will be fine for that car.

what kind of tuning is there or should be done?

OneSlow5pt0
12-24-2008, 06:16 PM
what kind of tuning is there or should be done?

i mean tune the little turbo,timing and little things like that......i dont know much at all bout turbos.

David88vert
12-24-2008, 10:05 PM
what kind of pwr would a 16g kit make on that miata? i know there are tons of motor swaps available including ls1 but is anything cost effective or turbo really the way to go?

A friend of mine has a really nice turbo setup on his Tic-Tac (gen 1 Miata). I know that it is a 1.6. I can check with him. Give me a couple of days and I can get you a lot of info.
Also, look for info on the Flyin Miata site, and on the LINK ecu site.

4dmin
12-26-2008, 07:33 AM
A friend of mine has a really nice turbo setup on his Tic-Tac (gen 1 Miata). I know that it is a 1.6. I can check with him. Give me a couple of days and I can get you a lot of info.
Also, look for info on the Flyin Miata site, and on the LINK ecu site.

awesome appreciate it :cheers:

SpecV_Scott
12-26-2008, 07:39 AM
This is a really good site for turbo Miata stuff (and this link is especially good for the DIY route). Check it out:

http://www.miataturbo.net/forum/t10821/

Doppelgänger
12-27-2008, 12:50 AM
lol

Paul...why not just pm me?

I'd stay away from that ebay kit... it'll have problems in less than 1000 miles (turbo crap out, manifold crack, intercooler pipes not specific to the car, shitty rubber couplers etc...) The M45 s/c isn't bad on the 1.6 or the 1.6, it just depends on what your overall goals are. If you want something good for ~50-75rwhp that will be easy to install and never need maintainence, then get a JRSC kit and add a FMIC and a good exhaust and a FMU. Want to tinker a bit more? Turbo kits can be made for anywhere from $1000 for piecing together some nice used parts to $5000+ for a top-name kit.

I'd stay away from miataturbo.net...... we are a bunch of wolves over there, unless you come in and make it known you are down to earth and know a few useful things about cars....and not act like a jackass.

The LINK ECU is "OK" still, and pretty inexpensive to pick up (considering it's a standalone). The MSPNP is OK too... but it requires constant tinkering. But for power under 200crank hp, a FMU and some 1.8L injectors would be just fine...or even something like Flyin' Miata's "voodoo box".

On a 1.6 you'll be luck to dyno 90rwhp in stock trim. With a few small mods - cone filter, header, exhaust, bumped timing, new plugs and wires , you'll be good for 105-115rwhp...on a good day. The motors are VERY strong if they have been well maintained and will make 300+rwhp with stock internals....it all depends on your tuning.

IMHO (after having turbo and s/c'ed Miatas), I think a nice JRSC kit would fit the car just fine and give it the extra power the car should have had from the factory. Although the kit doesn't come with a FMIC, i'd highly recommend it because it makes a TON of difference without adding any problems.

If you have any other questions...you know what to do.

DVSRX-7
01-03-2009, 03:38 PM
yea ask him ^^

JITB
01-03-2009, 08:53 PM
Im not a fan of Supercharged B6's or Bp's..

The B6 is such a stout motor.. id go with the turbo. Id piece one together with a small Vj11/14 they seem perfect for that motors size.

kfzemx3
01-12-2009, 11:51 AM
gt28r does wonders on bp motors :)

metalman
01-12-2009, 11:37 PM
As doppelganger says...stay away from Egay turbo crap. Its junk.
Turbo charging 1.6 cars is a great idea...but if youre going to do it dont skimp.
Even a Greddy kit would be a better idea.
As already indicated a used SC kit can be had for reasonable...and gives a bit of a boost in performance too. Feel free to PM w/ any Miata questions. If I dont know the answer I probably know who does. Sorry I didnt see this thread sooner. :)

JITB
01-12-2009, 11:43 PM
As doppelganger says...stay away from Egay turbo crap. Its junk.
Turbo charging 1.6 cars is a great idea...but if youre going to do it dont skimp.
Even a Greddy kit would be a better idea.
As already indicated a used SC kit can be had for reasonable...and gives a bit of a boost in performance too. Feel free to PM w/ any Miata questions. If I dont know the answer I probably know who does. Sorry I didnt see this thread sooner. :)

u know honestly the ebay kit aint bad... u stay under 10lbs..and get the manifold reinforced, and get a new wastegate.. and you will be ok for along time. there was a ebay kit on the mx3(which was a miata kit) in the sig..and lasted 4 years before the turbo went..:) fo rwhat he wants, it might not be a bad choice.

4dmin
01-13-2009, 11:28 AM
lol

Paul...why not just pm me?

lol i forgot about this thread... and i was too lazy to look up your username (i knew you had it spelled funny)

thanks for the info i'll keep everyone posted w/ what comes of the project car.