PDA

View Full Version : ATTN: All ye smog-knowin' people

EvasiveEF9
12-21-2008, 03:04 PM
So...my birthday is 27FEB. Car is a 2006 Mustang GT. Registered in GA, (and currently located, but I'm expecting to have it out here in Cali before my tag renewal is due), I'm military, and stationed in Cali.

So here's my questions. Since I'll be home between 01-05JAN2009...

1)I was wondering if that's TOO soon to get the car smogged for the year? How early can you get it smogged? Checked the site, but no prevail...just say "get it done 4-6 weeks in advance". I'm looking at about 8weeks...

2)There's a 3yr-old car exemption stating that cars from 2006 and newer are exempt this year. But does "this year" mean 2009 or 2008? Basically, am I exempt this year to begin with, or will this be the first year it needs to be run?

3)If all else fails, I'll just do the crappy paperwork stating it's out here in Cali...but I'd prefer to skip all the paperwork for this year due to all the other complications. I'd rather keep it simple and just know I'm already exempt, or just run it through before shipping it out here.

Thanks in advance.

Tech5
12-21-2008, 03:10 PM
Yes your Exempt! they are testing 04;s this year and 05 next year!

your good!

tdurr
12-21-2008, 03:13 PM
we have the same day of birth! reps, but i dono about this. srry i cant help.

EvasiveEF9
12-21-2008, 03:28 PM
Are you sure it's '04 and older?

Could just be the way I'm reading it...

http://www.cleanairforce.com/motorists/emissiontesting.php

Xrated O.G.
12-21-2008, 06:52 PM
Yes your Exempt! they are testing 04;s this year and 05 next year!

your good!

^^^^^^^You have no clue as to what your talking about so STFU....

Your vehicle being an 06 would HAVE TO HAVE an emissions test done on it since your Bday is in Feb 09. If your Bday had been in 08 your vehicle would have been exempt. You CAN do the test in Jan when your home and go ahead and get your tag. There should be absolutely no problem with proceeding with your current plans. Good Luck and Thank You for your Dedicated Service as a memeber of our Armed Forces.:cheers:

EvasiveEF9
12-21-2008, 07:35 PM
^^^^^^^You have no clue as to what your talking about so STFU....

Your vehicle being an 06 would HAVE TO HAVE an emissions test done on it since your Bday is in Feb 09. If your Bday had been in 08 your vehicle would have been exempt. You CAN do the test in Jan when your home and go ahead and get your tag. There should be absolutely no problem with proceeding with your current plans. Good Luck and Thank You for your Dedicated Service as a memeber of our Armed Forces.:cheers:
Thank you more than anything for the support of the armed forces.

Reading up on the website, though, this should be my 3rd year of the "three year period?"

Hmm...I wonder if I can call the tag office or something. I don't wanna pay the 25$ if I don't have to, but I don't wanna NOT pay it then get hit with fines.

Xrated O.G.
12-22-2008, 09:10 AM
You need to have the test performed. If for whatever reason it does not need to be tested the testing computer will kick it out and reject the test. NO TEST NO PAY.... Better to be safe than sorry IMO.

Kaiser
12-22-2008, 07:22 PM
You need to have the test performed. If for whatever reason it does not need to be tested the testing computer will kick it out and reject the test. NO TEST NO PAY.... Better to be safe than sorry IMO.

Quoted for Emphasis. This man speaks truth.

If you DO have questions about it, you CAN call your local county tag office and ask them what all you need to bring with you to renew your tags for your car. Tell them what car it is etc and they will happily answer what all you have to have. The website is pretty much rubbish, and just confuses people. You also can certainly find some places that charge as little as $17.99 for the test. $25 is the MAXIMUM the state allows anyone to charge, though the state also charges emissions stations for the certificates so it is not "pure profit" and there's a price to the station setting the minimum as well. Also, your emissions tests are good for 12 months, and you can have your car tested any time up to 12 months before your required date of renewal (First listed registered owner's birthday) I have seen people who have issues with their cars passing come the week they need to renew and finally pass, then come again the day after their renewal date and pass again and have a perfectly valid test for the next year. It's possibly shady but the state certainly allows it.

PS: Thanks for your service. You guys certainly don't get thanked enough by everyone else.

Edit: And not to contradict Pat, but I have seen a car from a model year that is in it's first year of required testing that came back and said no test was required. Happens every now and then when a car (2004 for example) was built as an 04 but was actually built during the 05 model year.

Xrated O.G.
12-23-2008, 07:24 AM
^^^ Preach on Brother...