PDA

View Full Version : Paint Rims Guide?

dtmcnamara
09-13-2005, 07:01 PM
Ok well my buddy bought these rims from a guy from $50 and they all were cracked and a little scratched. I took them in, tig welded the hole and filled in the curb marks and sanded it all down, but now they are a few colors. I was wondering, whats the best way to re paint rims, besides powder coating, he dosent have enough money right now. Would it be best to sand, then lay primer, then sand and primer then after a few more coats to lay a gloss black over the rims? Also what about a clear coat? Also what paint would be the best to use? Just trying to get as much info before we start to do all of this. THANKS

4dmin
09-13-2005, 09:24 PM
http://forums.importatlanta.com/showthread.php?t=19604

^ i just had mine done, they had tons of road rash, sand sand sand, prep, paint :goodjob:

call Sprayglo (duluth location) they did mine

Marta Mike
09-13-2005, 09:51 PM
this is the guide im using when i get my snowflakes in a couple weeks.

http://www.78ta.com/rims.htm

Bishop
09-14-2005, 12:46 AM
sand with a 180 grit paper...then use a hi-build primer...do 2-3 coats of that...then wet sand with 400 grit, the put down your base coat then wait 45min then clear it. That is if you are using automotive paint...

dtmcnamara
09-14-2005, 02:36 PM
so what kind of paint? any certain kind? I have seen "RIM PAINT" but this seems stupid, why pay the 7$ per bottle when there is someting exactly the same at Home Depot...so whats the type of paint I should use. I just want something that will not chip that easy, I know all paint will chip but we need something a little durable....Thanks

htchking
09-16-2005, 09:49 AM
well i did my old rims,i sanded em down then used engine paint cuz it is high head snd [retty strong ,i painted 4 coats on each wheel and cleard it with the engine paint clear.it workes pretty good

Bishop
09-16-2005, 12:06 PM
Well i use actual car paint...not stuff in a spray can.

dfire9
09-16-2005, 10:22 PM
let me now if I can help.

eViLMunkey
09-20-2005, 01:00 AM
Hmmm... I'm trying to find a anodized paint in bronze to do my wheels...

speedminded
09-20-2005, 08:37 AM
The wheel paint in a can is great stuff if you're on a budget, i've done it several times and it's seems to be plenty durable...just don't use any harsh chemicals/degreasers to clean them.

On my Disco I did the wheels and roof rack with the Duplicolor Graphite...