PDA

View Full Version : Is the Car Scene Synonmyous With the Male Ego?

DrivenMind
12-19-2008, 07:47 PM
The older I get the less involved I want to be with cars, and the "culture" that surrounds it. Maybe it's because I'm younger than the people who never actually got to experience the golden days of gear head culture, or because I got my drivers license a year or so after the infamous cult classic "The Fast and The Furious" came out. Or maybe it's because I haven't made enough money to build a car that can scare the shit out of me. But it seems every year the crowd gets weaker, not in terms of numbers, but in terms of the quality of people who are involved. There's plenty of new people, but they all seem to be full of shit, and out to prove something. But they're never trying to prove something to themselves, its always this continuous outward projection of testosterone based asinine aggression, and ego inflation. The general mentality of the car scene has gone from a group of people who share a common interest to this heavily divided egotistical elitism that puts a damper on the whole spirit of the thing.

I remember the first time I went to Nopi Nationals, I was so overwhelmed by the sheer scale of the event, I couldn't wait to make the trek back. Just to see what was going on. But within three years, it had become nothing but, ridiculous show cars, and dancing mini-trucks, and it all became synonymous with wannabe gangsters, mediocre hip hop, and hoards of ignorant wiggers sporting flat billed sideways hats. I still remember when drift events were drift events and people went to have fun and shit, rather than trying to flex their JDM cock muscles, and when everyone in the crowd wasn't already an expert.

I can't put my finger on it exactly, but I feel like car culture has fallen from it's prime, and is quickly dying out.

Elbow
12-19-2008, 07:50 PM
Not sure.

I was born into cars, started racing when my peenie was small, and have not quit, if I did I would be jobless, lifeless, and have no friends. lol

OneSlow5pt0
12-19-2008, 07:53 PM
ive never really been part of scene,just go to stuff to hang out with friends.....more i get into music the less i think about or spend on my car

Scotsman
12-19-2008, 07:53 PM
Not sure.

I was born into cars, started racing when my peenie was small, and have not quit, if I did I would be jobless, lifeless, and have no friends. lolyou haz no friends

Elbow
12-19-2008, 07:54 PM
you haz no friends

Internet friends

IDCoconut
12-19-2008, 07:58 PM
Same happened with the Minitruckin scene, and that's one of the reasons I got out.

It was great back in 2004, the scene was good, quality was good, people were good. For some reason in 2006, the black shirt/black dickies shorts/black socks/ black shoes crowd became "the norm" and shit like minitruckin clothing began to surface. More and more folks in the scene began to call minitruckin "a way of life" which was rather silly which pretty much is partying, gettin drunk, dragging your track til the shit falls apart, etc. More and more "kids" were getting into the scene with their raggedy-ass trucks. A power-wheel from Wal-Mart was safer on the road compared to some of the shit I saw begin to surface. Least to say, it was just not the same.

What I did notice though, is somewhat of a cycle.

1. Scene have hardcore guys, down to earth, quality is good
2. Scene gets popular, more folks thinks it is "cool"
3. Scene gets flooded with too many posers
4. Scene quality drops, along with the posers getting sick of the scene and leave
5. Scene's OG's, who did not get sick of the shit, are still doing it
6. Cycle starts over again.

That's what I've seen in the minitruckin crowd, and it seems to be going the same route with the import crowd. It peaked during the whole F&F shit going on and it seems to be dying off. I remember 4years ago you couldn't go 10miles without hearing a fart can equipped Civic.

ed_gm90
12-19-2008, 08:09 PM
Very well put.

DVSRX-7
12-19-2008, 08:16 PM
im not new to the whole car scene.. but man compared to how it was in the mid to late 90's its pretty much just fading away.. im sad to see that but what can we do.. im sorry to say this seriously but i blame most of the honda owners for letting themselves be copied over and over and over... seriously i love all cars and everything but we need a change.. lets bring back some old skool flare!!

Scotsman
12-19-2008, 08:17 PM
Internet friends:eek: i haz some too

Juggernaut
12-19-2008, 08:20 PM
Not sure.

I was born into cars, started racing when my peenie was small, and have not quit, if I did I would be jobless, lifeless, and have no friends. lolYour peenie is still small, I read it in a thread somewhere.:D

Echonova
12-19-2008, 08:24 PM
Your peenie is still small, I read it in a thread somewhere.:DLOL, on that note I'm out... Gotta go help clean the kitchen:(

Julio
12-19-2008, 08:25 PM
There is always going to be gearheads...
But every hobby in life has idiots in it.

Now, once you get older, you get smarter and wiser.

Thats Why I call in quits back in 03 and 04 after I saw I got to involved with the "not having as much fun " part.
I remember being part of a car club called Perfected images back in the late 90's.. We did shit for fun... but We were young.. some of us have moved on.. families, more responsibilities ...

I said .. well actually I posted the same thing on here back in 04... But I realize is not the hobby.. is "US"...

jonathanjone
12-19-2008, 08:26 PM
ima have to say its not the cars fault... have you guys not noticed the difference from when (20-25) were growing up. Even more your you older guys. kids are getting worse and worse as time goes by. when i was a kid, you cuss you get beat. you walk into a room with kids now expect one of em to say a cuss word. they are getting bad long b4 the teenage years. teachers cant paddle, parents wont whoop em, all they do is get grounded... gay. most of the kids in the car scene, their parents bought the cars and the mods. or they buy them like they are from one of us lol. but yea. i could be completely wrong but.... i doubt it lol

Scotsman
12-19-2008, 08:26 PM
LOL, on that note I'm out... Gotta go help clean the kitchen:(http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk294/mojozerox/pussy_whipped.jpg

Juggernaut
12-19-2008, 08:30 PM
http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk294/mojozerox/pussy_whipped.jpgLulz. I need beer. Brb

Scotsman
12-19-2008, 08:34 PM
ima have to say its not the cars fault... have you guys not noticed the difference from when (20-25) were growing up. Even more your you older guys. kids are getting worse and worse as time goes by. when i was a kid, you cuss you get beat. you walk into a room with kids now expect one of em to say a cuss word. they are getting bad long b4 the teenage years. teachers cant paddle, parents wont whoop em, all they do is get grounded... gay. most of the kids in the car scene, their parents bought the cars and the mods. or they buy them like they are from one of us lol. but yea. i could be completely wrong but.... i doubt it lolthis new generation of kids scare me , america has become sissyfied , not enough discipline(sp)and no work ethics for the kids growin up now , everything is spoon fed to these punks , makes me f'n sick , when i was 16 , my first hand me down was an 85 accord , you got kids nowadays gettin $60xxx cars for their first and wreckin it within the first few months , WTF are parents thinkin?!?!?!?!?!?

Juggernaut
12-19-2008, 08:41 PM
this new generation of kids scare me , america has become sissyfied , not enough discipline(sp)and no work ethics for the kids growin up now , everything is spoon fed to these punks , makes me f'n sick , when i was 16 , my first hand me down was an 85 accord , you got kids nowadays gettin $60xxx cars for their first and wreckin it within the first few months , WTF are parents thinkin?!?!?!?!?!?Their kids life insurace policy is up to date?

Scotsman
12-19-2008, 08:43 PM
Their kids life insurace policy is up to date?i'm sure it is

Alan®
12-19-2008, 08:54 PM
Well I haven't been active in the scene for awhile but the way I see it, there will always be those of us who have a perpetual love of cars and will always want to modify them or collect them. Then there will be those who just see it as a way to meet people and have no real interest in them. I have a general belief that most people are actually quite nice but when you get boards like this one it gives their surpressed inner asshole a chance to come out and then when you actually meet said person in real life you find them to be completely different (I.E.-nice).

So long as there are that core group of us that have a genreal passion for cars in all senses the scene will always live.

Echonova
12-19-2008, 11:13 PM
i'm sure it isSo if I'm following this train of thought...

Parents have insurance on kid for $500,000.
Buy kid $60,000 car.
Kid kills himself in a fiery ball of awesome

$500,000
-----------
$440,000 + they no longer have to pay for college. It's a win-win.

Kevykev
12-19-2008, 11:22 PM
You are a clown man LOLOL 110%

T trying to flex their JDM cock muscles, a .

:lmfao: :lmfao:

JDM-CM

:lmfao:

Elbow
12-19-2008, 11:50 PM
The car scene will NEVER die, I personally am into racing, didn't start off with the F&F crap like I said. The import scene has changed sure, but cars in general will never end.

DrivenMind
12-19-2008, 11:54 PM
I don't think peoples passion for cars as a whole will die out, and I wouldn't say my love for the automobile is dying, so much as my interest in meeting people who share the same interest. I see how the whole scene in general sort of waivers cyclically, and fuck knows most of my good friends are guys I've met through the car hobby; but it just doesn't seem fun anymore. Too many pricks and assholes taking themselves entirely too seriously.

Although I agree with you about the music thing HypnoToad, the deeper I get into music the less interest I have in meeting people through the car scene, but who knows. Maybe I'll catch the gear head groove in a few years, as the next wave hits the shore.

DrivenMind
12-19-2008, 11:57 PM
The car scene will NEVER die, I personally am into racing, didn't start off with the F&F crap like I said. The import scene has changed sure, but cars in general will never end.

I've always been into racing, but it's a seriously expensive hobby; and you gotta pay to play. And I probably won't be able to pay shit, until after I'm done with school. Who knows, it's probably for the best, by then my insurance will be cheaper, and all the bad ass cars I grew up dreaming about will be readily available on the used car market.

OneSlow5pt0
12-20-2008, 12:13 AM
I don't think peoples passion for cars as a whole will die out, and I wouldn't say my love for the automobile is dying, so much as my interest in meeting people who share the same interest. I see how the whole scene in general sort of waivers cyclically, and fuck knows most of my good friends are guys I've met through the car hobby; but it just doesn't seem fun anymore. Too many pricks and assholes taking themselves entirely too seriously.

Although I agree with you about the music thing HypnoToad, the deeper I get into music the less interest I have in meeting people through the car scene, but who knows. Maybe I'll catch the gear head groove in a few years, as the next wave hits the shore.

yea man,its just like i dont want my car to be fastest thing on the street,just a nice clean DD,which it is now...but needs a powerplant:D

but lastweek had choice between a full exhaust or a new guitar,ofcourse i took the guitar,lol.....my guitar will always be there...its not gonna get me in trouble,cost me money everytime i take it out,and im allowed to do anything i want with it.....but i knew u played to,so i figured u would agree with my 1st post:goodjob:

yungdz
12-20-2008, 12:46 AM

Yea, go watch American Graffiti. People have been modding and cruising around in their cars since who know's when it first started (That movie is about a car club in the 50's based on George Lucas' youth)

Its not gonna die. The die hard people will always be die hard, and just laugh at the posers and lesser quality asshats.

Did you ever consider it was the scene here in the South East? Looking on other forums from nation wide the scene seems to be pretty thriving.

DrivenMind
12-20-2008, 06:42 AM
Did you ever consider it was the scene here in the South East? Looking on other forums from nation wide the scene seems to be pretty thriving.

I've thought it might be a regional thing, but I've never made the effort to browse other forums.

DrivenMind
12-20-2008, 06:46 AM
yea man,its just like i dont want my car to be fastest thing on the street,just a nice clean DD,which it is now...but needs a powerplant:D

but lastweek had choice between a full exhaust or a new guitar,ofcourse i took the guitar,lol.....my guitar will always be there...its not gonna get me in trouble,cost me money everytime i take it out,and im allowed to do anything i want with it.....but i knew u played to,so i figured u would agree with my 1st post:goodjob:

That was a wise choice I think. Plus you'd have to have your exhaust redone if you ever decided to replace that motor.

What kind of guitar did you get?

OneSlow5pt0
12-20-2008, 11:57 AM
That was a wise choice I think. Plus you'd have to have your exhaust redone if you ever decided to replace that motor.

What kind of guitar did you get?

nah,the exhaust is the same for 305,LT1 and old 350

nothing special,epi les paul studio....but i got a real good deal on it,wanted a Ibanez ART300 but it sold before i could pick it up.

EP3sAreFun
12-20-2008, 02:45 PM
I've thought it might be a regional thing, but I've never made the effort to browse other forums.
wait wait wait

you're looking to meet friends on Importatlanta? i see more immature and stupid bullshit crap posted on here in one hour than ANY other forum i read in weeks.

You should try doing SCCA. or going to SCCA to watch... or finding a better car-friend type forum.

I post alot, but not on here. I think the problem is the import community has the kind of attitude where "hey i drive an import and so do you, well i'm faster and your honda is the suxorz lol"

and thats fucking stupid. look at the starquest group. "hey i have a quest and so do you, now we're best friends!!!"

Same thing with the Muscle cars or bikes more or less. When i had a gsxr EVERY person on a bike whether its a harley or a fucking scooter would wave and if stopped at alight would say "thats a nice bike" or "sure is some nice weather for riding"

Maybe look on whatever model specific car-you-have forum. or if your feeling too mature for the crowd here, think about participating in some kind of motorsports.

I think thats just the growth line for some ppl. get a car, get into the "scene", grow out of the scene, get into motorsports.

Juggernaut
12-20-2008, 03:28 PM
If you pay someone else to work on your car, to put your mods on are you still a car guy? I'm not talking about rebuilding an engine here, bolt-ons.

My anwser is no.

EP3sAreFun
12-21-2008, 10:26 AM
If you pay someone else to work on your car, to put your mods on are you still a car guy? I'm not talking about rebuilding an engine here, bolt-ons.

My anwser is no.

I gotta say I've always been on the fence of this topic, there are alot of shops that do alot of good work... but when i see a car that has $15k in work at some shop and the owner of that car talks about his car being fast.... its kinda like "dude, you just payed for it! you did no research, no thinking, you didnt even get your hands dirty!! All you did was write a check." But, at the same time... if i own a $60,000 corvette and i work 70 hours a week... chances are i might drop off said corvette with a shop to get them to do that pain in the ass time consuming header and exhaust install. *shrug*

A.P. Photography
12-21-2008, 10:57 AM
Same happened with the Minitruckin scene, and that's one of the reasons I got out.

It was great back in 2004, the scene was good, quality was good, people were good. For some reason in 2006, the black shirt/black dickies shorts/black socks/ black shoes crowd became "the norm" and shit like minitruckin clothing began to surface. More and more folks in the scene began to call minitruckin "a way of life" which was rather silly which pretty much is partying, gettin drunk, dragging your track til the shit falls apart, etc. More and more "kids" were getting into the scene with their raggedy-ass trucks. A power-wheel from Wal-Mart was safer on the road compared to some of the shit I saw begin to surface. Least to say, it was just not the same.

The real minitruckin/Truckin scene died out in the late 90's. That was when you had the real clubs around here (RHT HYT, Relaxed Atmosphere, Severed Ties) and every month there was a truck featured in the mags that was local. We did it for the love of it and was always trying to be different. There was no drama (unless it was about a girl and there will always be that drama), shows were shows (Nopi was at Lakewood, Pigeon Forge when it was packed with so many trucks it would take you 2 hours to go down the strip once, SpringFling, Slamfest, MiniTruckin Nats), and the scene wasn't polluted. We didn't run bags or switches but just slammed on the ground. Now you rarely see a minitruck/slammed fullsize around and when you do usually it looks like crap or is falling apart.

I will always be into cars till the day I die, I can't have anything stock. lol. Now you do have a lot of car guys that have grown up and moved from the minitrucks/fullsize trucks/hondas/etc to classic cars/rat rods/exotics. In general tho the good ole days are no more.

Yea, go watch American Graffiti. People have been modding and cruising around in their cars since who know's when it first started (That movie is about a car club in the 50's based on George Lucas' youth)

What crack are you smoking? That movie is not ABOUT a car club, it is about growing up. You might be thinking about "The Pharohs" but they were a VERY small part of the movie.

§treet_§peed
12-21-2008, 11:07 AM
it think it is dieing in some ways. just look at NOPI having to file for bankruptcy. But you guys are right. People will always be into modding cars come hell or high water. Because for the ones that really get into and do their own work its a love and a passion. the posers will eventually get bored and forget about the car scene once they realize its not the "in thing" to do anymore. those people are the reason that we can really get good runs in anymore. o well, fun while it lasted.

A.P. Photography
12-21-2008, 11:08 AM

My anwser is no.

This is really a gray area. I think what it needs to break down to is Car aficionado's and then you have Car Guys. Both have a deep love for cars but one enjoys working on them, the other may not have time or common sense (I worked at Nopi and believe me some do NOT need to be messing with cars) to work on his/her car but both can be considered Car Guys just because of their love for the car.

mr.koupe
12-21-2008, 11:13 AM
^^^^ :goodjob:

1. Scene have hardcore guys, down to earth, quality is good

5. Scene's OG's, who did not get sick of the shit, are still doing it