PDA

View Full Version : Misc Trash can turkey = Damn good eating

YoTa_BoX
12-19-2008, 11:50 AM
so the business next to us had a trash can with coals around the bottom of it and i could not for the life of me figure out what the hell was going on. 15 mins later one of the guys from over there walks in our shop and asks us if we have ever had trash can turkey ...... I was like nope @_@

the basics

Take a 3 foot long or so 2x4 and shove it into the ground. Wrap the 2x4 with tin foil so you and set the bird on tip of the 2x4. places the trash can over bird and put 20lbs of charcoal around the trash can light it up and let it cook for an hour and a half and OMG this damn turkey was so freaking good!!!

Pics below.

Oh ya season the bird as you like.

Dont let the looks fool you it was juicy as hell!!!

cactusEG
12-19-2008, 12:01 PM
CLICK_FOR_HOME_TOWN (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tqxzWdKKu8) :look: But that shit does look good...

Total_Blender
12-19-2008, 12:16 PM
Looks good.

Does the turkey cook by radiant heat from the trashcan?

Has anyone ever tried "beer can chicken" where you put a tall boy can in the cavity of a chicken and grill it?

http://www.beercook.com/editedart/photos/lonestarchix.jpg

Not my pic but I made a similar chicken about a month ago and it was the best chicken ever. You're really supposed to put a pan under it to catch the drippings though.

YoTa_BoX
12-19-2008, 02:16 PM
it just super heats inside the trashcan and it cooks in a third of he time.

you can cook a 20lbs turkey in 2 hours.

this one was cooked in about an hour and 30 and that was almost to much.

Iv always wanted to try the beer ass chicken you can also do it with turkey. I'v heard its really damn good.

SixSquared
12-21-2008, 04:34 PM
Beer butt chicken is amazing. I make a really good one lol.

The hints I have learned for beer butt chicken:

Wheat beer is really good.. like Leigenkugel or a belgian blonde... spend a little extra on the beer and you will not be upset.

The problem is that most of those beers come bottled, not canned, so get a coke can or something, cut the top off, clean it, and pour the beer in there.

Cut a half an onion into chunks and put in the beer before putting chicken on top. Gives it a nice almost sweet flavor, and is DELISH to munch on after cooking lol.

There is no "neat and clean" way to shove a can full of beer and onions up the ass of a dead chicken.

Remember to get out the gizzards lol.

Once the chicken is sitting upright on the can, on the grill, pat it down with a light dusting of brown sugar and spices. The brown sugar will caramelize on the grill and you will end up with the juices literally locked in, since the beer makes it super juicy and the caramelized outside doesn't let the juice go anywhere. So you get a nice "snap" when you bite into it followed by super juiciness.

If you guys are ever in the Athens area and want me to make you one, let me know a day or so beforehand and I'm more than happy to. It's easy and pretty quick (about an hour on the grill).

Elbow
12-21-2008, 04:52 PM
Make me one.

No shit we should have a pot luck dinner party for Athens people lol