PDA

View Full Version : General Chat DAWSONVILLE RESIDENTS and OTHER RACING ENTHUSIAST: We really need your help!

Tracy
12-18-2008, 01:20 PM
The following is regarding a zoning hearing for the new proposed track in Dawsonville. www.atlantamotorsportspark.net

Basically, besides the e-mail that they are requesting people to send to the city, they also need more Dawsonville residents who would be in favor of the track to come to the next zoning meeting. Even if you aren't from Dawsonville, they still need your support.

###

ZONING UPDATE: (PLEASE FORWARD – PUT LOCAL RESIDENT IF YOU ARE in DAWSON COUNTY)

Good morning. AMP had positive results at the last zoning meeting on the 15th. The Planning Commission tabled the decision for 30 days to review the newly submitted application. We took this as a positive action by them, they could have declined the application based on the presentation but declined to vote based on the resubmitted revised application a few days before the meeting and to review their notes.

I need to ask for your support again, I have listed NEW e-mail addresses below that were not on the last e-mail list of the actual planning board- PLEASE TAKE ACTION NOW, TODAY and send this e-mail.

You are welcome to just RESEND your first e-mail with the new date.

The council’s main concern was: Noise: (People thought it was like the noise of a NASCAR which is (140 DB at peak times) we will cap the noise at 103 DB at AMP.

Second, We need your support, BOTH via e-mail or in person at the follow up zoning hearing, at 7:00 PM, Monday, January the 26th and Monday February 2nd at Dawsonville City Hall/Racing Hall of Fame. See below for directions to the meeting.

What should I say? Explain, in your own terms and feelings – not mine, the support/opinion of Atlanta Motorsports Park and the positive effects of this development by the approval of zoning for Motorsports Park. How you believe it will serve a major need in the driving community, restrict noise levels, help drive revenue, create jobs, and keep motorsports alive in Dawsonville –what ever you would like to or feel led to mention. Please title the subject line something like – Please approve Atlanta Motorsports Park…

Cut and paste these e-mails below (b’cc or cc) with a general letter to them about AMP and your thoughts.

NEW e-mail addresses:

[email protected] (CORRECTED E-mail)

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

DIRECTIONS TO CITY HALL –

Directions to The Racing Hall of Fame/City Hall: 400 North, once you pass the outlet mall, turn LEFT on Highway 53, follow highway 53 through town, until it dead ends, turn left continuing to follow 53 until you see the City Hall, Racing Hall of Fame on your right. It is about 10 miles from 400.

###

MongolPup
12-18-2008, 01:28 PM
Alright now it's in car talk. Good luck.

Tracy
12-18-2008, 01:29 PM
Thanks.

4dmin
12-18-2008, 01:37 PM
great idea but don't see it getting off the ground.

Tracy
12-18-2008, 01:43 PM
great idea but don't see it getting off the ground.I'm skeptical, too. I just hold out hope! You know me. Always hoping for the best out of people, but usually getting burned in the process.

I've been to most of the meetings and the zoning hearing. The city is actually backing it. It's hard to explain, but the city commissioner and blah blah blah are all behind it and all spoke at the zoning hearing. It still has to go through the zoning process, no matter who is behind it. The biggest problem is obviously the noise issue. If not for that, there wouldn't be any issues and it would probably be on the way. The main reason it didn't get approved this time was a technicality. The developers changed the plans and the board didn't get to even see the changes until the night of the hearing. They had no choice but to postpone it.

Either way, a little e-mail or showing our face at the meeting can't hurt :)

JayL
12-18-2008, 01:58 PM
i am in dawsonville just about every weekend, because thats where my girlfriend lives.

i think it would be a great addition to the state of georgia, and its right next to the Elliot house.

who knows if it will actually happen or not.

Tracy
12-18-2008, 02:07 PM
i am in dawsonville just about every weekend, because thats where my girlfriend lives.

i think it would be a great addition to the state of georgia, and its right next to the Elliot house.

who knows if it will actually happen or not.

Well spread the word, send and e-mail and show up to the meeting if you can :)

4dmin
12-18-2008, 02:26 PM
I'm skeptical, too. I just hold out hope! You know me. Always hoping for the best out of people, but usually getting burned in the process.

I've been to most of the meetings and the zoning hearing. The city is actually backing it. It's hard to explain, but the city commissioner and blah blah blah are all behind it and all spoke at the zoning hearing. It still has to go through the zoning process, no matter who is behind it. The biggest problem is obviously the noise issue. If not for that, there wouldn't be any issues and it would probably be on the way. The main reason it didn't get approved this time was a technicality. The developers changed the plans and the board didn't get to even see the changes until the night of the hearing. They had no choice but to postpone it.

Either way, a little e-mail or showing our face at the meeting can't hurt :)

na it would be great but i look at it this way - if they can't get past zoning then they don't have enough $$$ to begin w/ ;)

Tracy
12-18-2008, 07:06 PM
na it would be great but i look at it this way - if they can't get past zoning then they don't have enough $$$ to begin w/ ;)Tr00 that!!!! BUT, dude, before we could start the meeting, they made all 200 of us say a prayer before we said the pledge. This county might just be too legit. Doubt it, but who prays anymore :dunno: it was weird. I was like separation of church and state much?

4dmin
12-19-2008, 07:39 AM
Tr00 that!!!! BUT, dude, before we could start the meeting, they made all 200 of us say a prayer before we said the pledge. This county might just be too legit. Doubt it, but who prays anymore :dunno: it was weird. I was like separation of church and state much?

what you talking about Christians are the most corrupt anyway :lmfao:

green91
12-19-2008, 08:41 AM
That would be great if it goes through, i live about 5 minutes from dawsonville city hall.

Tracy
12-19-2008, 04:04 PM
You coming to the next meeting? The residents that showed up were all mad because all of the people who were in favor of the track were "city slickers" from Atlanta! We are just there to tear up their city and leave!

1SICKLEX
12-19-2008, 11:10 PM
Thanks Tracy! We really need to support this.

Tracy
12-20-2008, 10:14 AM
w3rd

Elbow
12-20-2008, 11:18 AM
You coming to the next meeting? The residents that showed up were all mad because all of the people who were in favor of the track were "city slickers" from Atlanta! We are just there to tear up their city and leave!

When's the next meeting?

green91
12-20-2008, 04:22 PM
After reading some on their site, i really don't see a lot of hope for it passing in Dawson county. They spent millions of dollars on thunder road assuming that because of dawson's nascar heritage that it would be a success.. they ended up putting city hall and a few other county offices in it just to pay bills because it was a flop.

The prices on their site are for a top-tier track.. it would be building a place thats out financial reach of approx 98%+ of residents to even use the facility, yet local taxpayers etc will brunt the majority of the impact fees, etc. Plus be realistic, this location would be 45+mins north of Atlanta, would most people even be willing to spend mega bucks and still make the commute?

Don't get me wrong, id like a motorsports park nearby. I just dont think its a feasible option.

Tracy
12-21-2008, 10:38 PM
When's the next meeting?in the original post.

Tracy
12-21-2008, 10:39 PM
After reading some on their site, i really don't see a lot of hope for it passing in Dawson county. They spent millions of dollars on thunder road assuming that because of dawson's nascar heritage that it would be a success.. they ended up putting city hall and a few other county offices in it just to pay bills because it was a flop.

The prices on their site are for a top-tier track.. it would be building a place thats out financial reach of approx 98%+ of residents to even use the facility, yet local taxpayers etc will brunt the majority of the impact fees, etc. Plus be realistic, this location would be 45+mins north of Atlanta, would most people even be willing to spend mega bucks and still make the commute?

Don't get me wrong, id like a motorsports park nearby. I just dont think its a feasible option.

What are the impact fees?

Tracy
12-21-2008, 10:43 PM
When's the next meeting?Mentioned in first post.

green91
12-22-2008, 11:33 AM
What are the impact fees?

Meaning maintaining and increasing roadways, utilities, water etc.

Tracy
12-23-2008, 07:06 PM
Meaning maintaining and increasing roadways, utilities, water etc.

They went over this at the meeting. Supposedly the impact fees are minimal to none since they will not be using city/county water/sewer, etc. It's a LEED facility and I think the first one (track country club) in the country.

I'd rather commute 45 minutes than several hours or more to get to a track.

True the museum was a flop, but have you seen it? It's whack. NOTHING interesting there AT ALL. It's like 5 sq ft :D

green91
12-24-2008, 09:41 AM
Yes i understand but my complaint is that the plan for this park is of such a high level that a MAJORITY of the local residents even in surrounding counties cannot afford to even use it. Plus even if they are minimal, there will still be some impact to the roadways, law enforcement etc by adding this, meaning that people who can't even afford to use it will have to bear a portion of the tax burden. I understand selling high cost memberships etc will help to pay for the facility but i hope they will offer some packages for track usage that will be within reach of non-wealthy car enthusiasts as well.

I have been in thunder road, in fact i drive by it every day. But you've gotta understand too that dawsonville has a HUGGGEEEE nascar following and a lot of nascar heritage.. At least in theory if anywhere would support a nascar museum it would be there. Ever been to the dawsonvile pool hall?

Tracy
12-24-2008, 11:24 AM
I sent all of these discussion points to Jeremy. Maybe he'll take some time to answer them.

green91
12-24-2008, 03:56 PM
Thanks tracy..

Im really not trying to be a hater because id like a local track access as well, just trying to be realistic and also the fact that im a local i can understand some of the local mentality.

Tracy
12-24-2008, 05:40 PM
Thanks tracy..

Im really not trying to be a hater because id like a local track access as well, just trying to be realistic and also the fact that im a local i can understand some of the local mentality.

Oh naw dude. I'm not trippin'. I know exactly what you are saying. :) I would just like to see it happen. I am just telling what I think I know. I wouldn't want to spread false info. and I'm sure he wants potential members to know the deal – so might as well go ahead and hear it from the horses mouth. Then if it's different than what's posted, we can all blame him :D

I also understand the local mentality. They are country, horse farmers. They like the peace and quiet. It's quite understandable. I am a very compassionate person and it was a little hard to hear how upset some of the neighbors are. It's def a double edge sword. You can't just plop a 100 acre track on Howell Mill where it's already noisy and industrial. There's no room for it in a place like that. The only places left are more rural areas.

Tracy
12-27-2008, 12:32 PM
Ok! So here is the response I got from Jeremy in red. Straight copy and paste. There is also the pamphlet at this link: http://docs.google.com/gview?attid=0.1&thid=11e792dcfda7e05d&a=v&pli=1

We were having a discussion on our local forum about the track and some questions are coming up. I was thinking maybe I could copy and paste some of them here and you can answer them when you have time. These are just straight copy and pasted, so I didn't edit them.

**Is the membership transferable? I thought I had heard at the first meeting we attended that it was for a fee, but it is posted on the website that it is not? Only for preconstruction, it will be a 25% fee of the purchase price, not the sale price. Meaning, you buy it for $35k and sell it for $50k, you pay the 25% on the $35k, this transfer only goes for the $35k and $15k membership.

**If you look at a track like Taladega Gran Prix, it books about 90% of the year. TGP is one track, we have THREE! So we can rent two and run one if needed. They have either private events, or sanctioned events 10-15 days in a row most of the time before having a day off. I'd hate to pay that AMP membership, and only be able to use it once a month because of no open days, or nothing open on the few days my schedule allowed. I would love to have a track that close, that was cheaper than a trackday at Road Atlanta. The member’s days will be scheduled in 90 day advance. If you take the top membership $35k, they get 180 days spread across the year, then the $15k, they get 120 set days across the year, and the $7k gets 60 set days across the year. So at the 35k level you get the most options. The 60 day guys will not be given all of the 180 day/$35k options to choose from. So there will be days that the $35k guys/gals will NOT have the $7k guys/gals on the track. Make sense?

**How many weekends a month are available to members? The $35k guys get the most, two weekends or more per month, it goes down for each level, but at least one or more weekends per month for all membership levels.

**If NASA is already planning events there, it looks like it's going beyond memberships. YES! Most groups like NASA plan their events on the weekend, so I wonder how you get 2 weekends a month. Does that mean all 100+ members have the same 2 weekends reserved for them every month, and the rest are open for something else? There are basically 180 days open to rent to NASA, SCCA, race teams, etc. If you take a Porsche Club of America event, they have around 350 people show up for one DAY! On average, the members will have between 15-30 during the week and 30-50 on the weekends with busy weekends with 100 people, so you will get more seat time in one day at AMP than at three or more days with the clubs.

**After reading some on their site, i really don't see a lot of hope for it passing in Dawson county. They spent millions of dollars on thunder road assuming that because of dawson's nascar heritage that it would be a success.. Not sure why people keep bring this up. Does not have any relevance to AMP. they ended up putting city hall and a few other county offices in it just to pay bills because it was a flop. Keep the faith, the city spent millions, NOT an individual. If AMP went bust, the city or county would not hold the notes, they would benefit from a massive amount of money and taxes being poured into their city/county building the course. The likelihood of this not working when build is very slim. We are coming out of the ground with the best management team money can buy to ensure that, our business plan is much tighter, we have no competition and can run four seasons.

The prices on their site are for a top-tier track.. We don’t have prices for track rental so not sure where they are getting that from, our prices for our shorter track are that of a Talladega, shows people just don’t understand. it would be building a place thats out financial reach of approx 98%+ of residents to even use the facility, yet local taxpayers etc will brunt the majority of the impact fees, etc. We add more value to the city than any business I can think of with less ENVIRONMENTAL IMPACT! Plus be realistic, this location would be 45+mins north of Atlanta, would most people even be willing to spend mega bucks and still make the commute? We are half the distance to the core group of users of ANY OTHER TRACK IN THE USA, with no competition. Customers to AMP will be the least of our problems! J We are almost HALF the fees of other membership tracks in the US. Our prices are more than fair.

Don't get me wrong, id like a motorsports park nearby. I just dont think its a feasible option. The end result will silence the critics. They will come if I do or don’t answer them once the course is built.

**my complaint is that the plan for this park is of such a high level that a MAJORITY of the local residents even in surrounding counties cannot afford to even use it. NOT TRUE! We have karting programs that are VERY affordable. We have three members that live in Dawsonville. Plus even if they are minimal, there will still be some impact to the roadways we have less impact than the Dairy Queen up the road in traffic, DOT states 53 is not even near half of the traffic it can handle, we could have HUGE spectator events and not reach the limits of traffic for the area and to make it CLEAR we will NOT have HUGE spectator events, law enforcement we hire off duty police, EMT, and fire, driving money into the system and not taking it away, we drive taxes into the system and not take it away by using the schools, we use septic and well water, we are the best business with the least draw and the most tax impact that could ever come to the county, period the end, if you added houses, a a house per 1/3 acre, that would be 450 house that WOULD draw from police, schools, EMT, fire, and have LESS TAXES TO THE CITY than AMP. dding this, meaning that people who can't even afford to use it will have to bear a portion of the tax burden. I understand selling high cost memberships etc will help to pay for the facility but i hope they will offer some packages for track usage that will be within reach of non-wealthy car enthusiasts as well. We have packages that someone that racers can afford. At the $7k level, if you take what you spend in gas getting to the tracks in the SE and compare it over two years, your fees at AMP will be MUCH less. Here is the kicker, you will get more seat time in one quarter of a year at AMP than you would in THREE YEARS of racing else where. Moreover, racing/driving is not an inexpensive sport, if you can afford the car, you car afford the membership. Do the math and you will see.

I have been in thunder road, in fact i drive by it every day. But you've gotta understand too that dawsonville has a HUGGGEEEE nascar following and a lot of nascar heritage.. At least in theory if anywhere would support a nascar museum it would be there. Ever been to the dawsonvile pool hall? Where do you live? What city?

1SICKLEX
12-28-2008, 12:01 AM

Tracks are RARELY for local residents. Most people travel their 4-8 times a year (sometimes even 2) for the opportunity to track their vehicle(s). The tracks I've been too in the SE do bring growth to the community around.

Look at Road Atlanta. It was nothing a few years ago. Now there is IMO TOO much development. So much now people that moved there AFTER the track at bishing about the noise.

TheGrillMan
12-28-2008, 12:23 AM
i think the traffic wouldnt really be a problem

dawsonville has plenty of sherrifs and gsp's to handle the traffic and what not

also ive been to the pool hall i worked at bella's rightacross the street from it

and yes the nascar scene is very popular there i mean honestly where else is there a racing hall of fame thats also city hall

Tracy
12-29-2008, 08:57 AM
Noise is def. the biggest concern. It sounds like they are trying to make sure that is handled with a tree line and berm buffer. Hardly anyone brought up any other concerns. The only reason impact and traffic were discussed is because the "city guy" broght it up before anyone else had the chance to.

EM1toEVO
12-29-2008, 09:00 AM
I personally think that it would be in Dawsonville's best financial interest to support such a track.

Tracy
12-29-2008, 09:10 AM
I personally think that it would be in Dawsonville's best financial interest to support such a track.They project that it will bring in some XXX amount of millions in the next 7-8 years to the city. I can't remember the amount, but it was large enough to where the people who were against it didn't think that it could ever happen.

Also, according the the city peeps, trying to get more tourism to the city has been on top of their list for years. I assume this is why they built the lame-o museum.