PDA

View Full Version : Need help with my Infiniti

myyellowspec
12-18-2008, 02:14 AM
The right front wheel recently started making a grinding sound a few days ago and it has been pulling to the right as well. I figured I just needed new brakes and an alignment. The vehicle is an 03 I35 (y33 maxima) with 58k by the way. I got the brakes torn apart, the drivers side was fine but the pass side rotor was grooved badly and the pads were worn unevenly. Also on the pass side the axle nut was loose as hell. I figured that was my problem so I tightened the nut and put a new rotor on, I used the same pads because there was almost no wear. I took it for a test drive and now the sound is worse. The wheel bearing and all of the ball joints/Tie rods are fine. I think the caliper might be locking up, is there any way to check that? Any and all help will be graciously repped. Thanks.

Kaiser
12-18-2008, 05:39 PM
First off, I would never advise anyone to use badly grooved pads with a new rotor. Second, the sound you're hearing may still be the brakes because without new pads it could still be having the same problem.

Third, there are two reasons why your rotor got eaten on one side, first possibility is a badly greased or ungreased slide pin for the Calipers. The other is a dying caliper. Get new pads or have the ones you have now resurfaced (Which, if the grooving was really bad, isn't an option even if you know someone that will do it) Grease the pin and see what happens. Once you've got all this done you can rule out the brakes or pinpoint the problem.

If the sound persists, you need to have someone else roll the car forward and listen very carefully to the sound it makes and where it comes from. Are you certain the bearings are good? Is the CV boot damaged on the Axle? Is the Axle firmly in place where it's supposed to go, since you had a loose Axle Nut?

Barefoot
12-18-2008, 08:34 PM
First off, I would never advise anyone to use badly grooved pads with a new rotor. Second, the sound you're hearing may still be the brakes because without new pads it could still be having the same problem.

Third, there are two reasons why your rotor got eaten on one side, first possibility is a badly greased or ungreased slide pin for the Calipers. The other is a dying caliper. Get new pads or have the ones you have now resurfaced (Which, if the grooving was really bad, isn't an option even if you know someone that will do it) Grease the pin and see what happens. Once you've got all this done you can rule out the brakes or pinpoint the problem.

If the sound persists, you need to have someone else roll the car forward and listen very carefully to the sound it makes and where it comes from. Are you certain the bearings are good? Is the CV boot damaged on the Axle? Is the Axle firmly in place where it's supposed to go, since you had a loose Axle Nut?perfect :goodjob::goodjob:

Kaiser
12-19-2008, 05:43 PM
perfect :goodjob::goodjob:

I try. I do, afterall, do this sort of diagnostic as part of my job. Squeaking/grinding noises have a bad habit of coming from the strangest places.

Theycall_Metue
12-19-2008, 08:38 PM
same thing happened with my dad's 91 corolla. its something about the axle bearing. not totally sure.. we changed axle/rotor/breaks and nothing work... if you find out the problem let me know

Scotsman
12-19-2008, 09:03 PM
same thing happened with my dad's 91 corolla. its something about the axle bearing. not totally sure.. we changed axle/rotor/breaks and nothing work... if you find out the problem let me knowread post #2

myyellowspec
12-20-2008, 11:24 PM
Thanks for all of the advice. Turns out the wheel bearing was chewed to shit...that was a fun job lol. Repps accordingly.

Kaiser
12-21-2008, 02:13 PM
Glad to hear you got it figured out. :)