PDA

View Full Version : Power Mods ls swap? got questions

lookitzme16
12-15-2008, 07:44 PM
Hey ive had IA for a while just never really posted. I have a 96 civic ex, its stock and I want a little more power. I found a b18b engine with head for 400 bucks, suposibly 50k miles on it. Does that sound like a good deal, and would it be worth swapping into my car. If the head is an issue what head would be best to put on it. And what all would I have to change for the engine to work, ive never done a swap, and would my ex trans bolt up to the ls engine or would I need to buy another trans. thanks and I hope this isnt dumb questions but I cant really find topics that are asking what I need to know.

xdavidscenex
12-15-2008, 08:44 PM
no your d-series tranny wont work. you will need a swap mounts and any hydro b-series tranny.

NEMO
12-15-2008, 08:44 PM
400 isn't a bad deal for a LS. but you can find LS longblocks for that price so make sure it comes with everything. no your trans with not bolt up you will need a B ser tranny

lookitzme16
12-15-2008, 09:03 PM
itsa complete engine with head, intake man, and a few other things, so I figured it wouldnt be a bad deal, but now finding out that I will have to change out everything kinda sucks. I may try to find a b16a engine, that should be an easier swap I guess. Like I said im new to this and dont know much but thanks for helping

NEMO
12-16-2008, 09:41 AM
swapping over to ne B ser motor is going to be the same except for dealing with vtec. LS or B20 is going to be your cheapest and you will be happy with these 2 motors over a B16. you are going to need to get a complete swap though. motor, tranny, ecu, mounts, axles, shift linkage. good luck pm me if you have ne other ? and i will try and help

seanrg1116
12-16-2008, 09:55 AM
build the d

j0nbunklah0m
12-16-2008, 09:57 AM
lol my b16 rapes b18b and b20's so i would def. not be happier with those. but yea any B series swap is pretty much going to be the same.

steedley127
12-16-2008, 10:01 AM
i have a full b swap ill sell u for 350$$ its a auto transmission... but it runs great....

ash7
12-16-2008, 10:13 AM
lol my b16 rapes b18b and b20's so i would def. not be happier with those. but yea any B series swap is pretty much going to be the same.

...^ above post is considered to be a "stereotypical new VTEC guy statement"

An LS is a good first swap - you can go many different routes (with very solid results - NA or FI) using the b18b as the building block. The same can be said of pretty much any Honda engine, I'm partial to the LS though as it has served me well for many, many years.
-jonathan

Barefoot
12-16-2008, 10:23 AM
I found a b18b engine with head for 400 bucks, suposibly 50k miles on it. Does that sound like a good deal, and would it be worth swapping into my car.
ya it not a bad deal and worth it in.
If the head is an issue what head would be best to put on it. the is not an issue
And what all would I have to change for the engine to work, ive never done a swap, mounts ecu tranny wire linkage axles
would my ex trans bolt up to the ls engine or would I need to buy another trans. no u need a b series tranny

...^ above post is considered to be a "stereotypical new VTEC guy statement"

An LS is a good first swap - you can go many different routes (with very solid results - NA or FI) using the b18b as the building block. The same can be said of pretty much any Honda engine, I'm partial to the LS though as it has served me well for many, many years.
-jonathanqtf :goodjob::goodjob::goodjob: i had 1 in my hatch for a few years an took any b16s

j0nbunklah0m
12-16-2008, 10:36 AM
u cant take my b16 :P!

Nang
12-16-2008, 10:42 AM
^ almighty b16, sike

j0nbunklah0m
12-16-2008, 10:44 AM
lol i was joking.

lookitzme16
12-16-2008, 11:18 AM
Yeah I thought about building my d16. I just dont know what it would take to get around 160hp to 180hp. I have been looking at the ls engine and I would only gain 25 like 15hp over my stock engine and 20 ft- lbs of torque. Just seems like I may be able to get alot more using the money for a swap and building my engine. I could be wrong but unless I guess the LS and done workto it also I probably wouldnt be happy with it.I would want to boost it down the road but I have to take my time with that since boosting cost alot of money. What do you guys think the best road to take would be?

Barefoot
12-16-2008, 11:31 AM
personally id start with a b series base. then start from there. theres nothing wrong with going d but b is a better starting point.

ash7
12-16-2008, 11:32 AM
You won't be totally happy with ANY engine you install (even a K series) because you will want/need more power. There is a happy medium that you have to set for yourself which includes things such as: budget, time, and driveability. If you have a lower budget and won't be able to build much - save up for a GSR swap. If you can afford to buy extra parts and have the time to install them correctly - stick with an LS. ...if you're going to continue to utilize your stock engine, then put your money torwards suspension.

-jonathan

lookitzme16
12-16-2008, 11:36 AM
yeah thats true. This car is bone stock except a kenwood cd player. I would really like to sell it and trade my lifted explorer for a boosted car already. I dont know if thats going to happen or not but I missed out on a b18 vtec boosted for 3500 hatch. So I dont know what im going to do for sure at this point

Tech5
12-16-2008, 12:40 PM
K-series FTW!

JDMJAYDC2
12-16-2008, 03:10 PM
stick with the d for now while you save up money for your swap B18 a or b they are basically the same. keeping the d series that you have now will allow you to search more and learn what you really want so you dont waste money on failed motors. you can wrench on the d and learn from your mistakes as most ppl that you befriend on here will basically just give away a d or sell it cheap as hell. This is time where you practice on how to take a motor in and out of your car if you dont already know. This will make your budget for a B series motor easier as you wont have to pay for install

Ferio4ya
12-19-2008, 04:33 PM
OVERALL, !! save your money & do the swap. completely worth it. i worked on a d-series too long and believe me, it doesnt take long for somebody to get bored with a d series motor lol. dont get me wrong though, d series are amazing if built right, but a b series will not only help you learn more, but it will keep your interest with how WELL the ls responds to bolt ons and such. =)

i'm doing the swap b18a1 into my 4dr eg, so i have to do a little extra but it will be worth it!! oh yeah, perfect motors to boost :)....(obd0 to obd1 conversion, a lil extra but wont be hard haha) oh, and, i'll be havin fun looking for b16's n/a built on the freeway hahahaha!