PDA

View Full Version : Breaking: Porsche following Audi, pulls factory team out of ALMS----Suzuki out of WRC

EJ25RUN
12-15-2008, 05:01 PM
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2008/12/porscheleavingalms.jpg

Autoblog....

The American Le Mans Series took another blow this past weekend with announcement that Porsche is pulling out of the P2 category, although it will continue to support the 911 GT3 RSR in GT2. This follows Audi's announcement that they will not compete in the series after the 12 Hours of Sebring in March. The possibility of private entries for both Audi and Porsche still remains, although it now looks as though Acura will be the favorite in the prototype categories with both P1 and P2 entries. Mazda has also stepped up its efforts for 2009, joining forces with Dyson Racing for a two-car P2 program. More on Porsche's announcement and the status of the ALMS series following the jump.

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2008/12/suzuki_wrc.jpg

Autoblog....

Another one bites the dust. Today was the deadline for manufacturers to announce their intentions to race in the FIA World Rally Championship for 2009, and Suzuki saw fit to let its entry expire after just a single year of competition. The Japanese automaker calls the move a countermeasure to "the contraction of the automotive sales caused by recent global economic turmoil." In other words, fewer car sales mean less excess money for racing. Worse, Suzuki says it expects things to stay bad for the foreseeable future, so riding out the storm wasn't a possibility.

Suzuki was just beginning to see some success in WRC, finishing in the top five for the last two races of the season with its SX4 WRC racer. The manufacturer's Swift Cup will remain active in 2009. This move follows rival automaker Honda's announcement that it would be suspending Formula 1 and AMA Roadracing competition, also a result of the global economic downturn.

Atlblkz06
12-15-2008, 05:25 PM
Ugh.. it sounds like money problems may be the root cause.

dazn
12-15-2008, 05:36 PM
porsche has been talking of pulling out of ALMS as a factory P team for a while now. No surprise there, but Im sure there will be a privateer or two. They still have the GT2 cars and the GT3 Cup.

EJ25RUN
12-15-2008, 07:21 PM
porsche has been talking of pulling out of ALMS as a factory P team for a while now. No surprise there, but Im sure there will be a privateer or two. They still have the GT2 cars and the GT3 Cup.

But Porsche 911 racing will always survive on its own.

Prototypes are an important part of sports car racing and it is starting to feel like 1993 when group c died as did the WSCC.

Elbow
12-15-2008, 07:24 PM
That leaves about 10-12 prototypes total.....

But a shit load of GT cars and a few more to come.

atlantamx3
12-15-2008, 10:07 PM
sweet news for Mazda... but I heard about the Porsches a few weeks ago and Audi several days ago too.

I REALLY wanted to see the new Audis at Petit LeMans next year... but maybe Mazda can make a come back.

AFSil80
12-16-2008, 11:25 PM
Speaking of ALMS GT, I've heard that the Corvettes are stepping down to GT2 next year.

EJ25RUN
12-17-2008, 05:18 AM
Speaking of ALMS GT, I've heard that the Corvettes are stepping down to GT2 next year.

Yes. That car will be ready after the Le Mans 24 hour which will be the final race for the C6R and the GT1 project.

This is preporation for the single GT class that will exit after 2010.

dazn
12-17-2008, 05:20 PM
Yes. That car will be ready after the Le Mans 24 hour which will be the final race for the C6R and the GT1 project.

This is preporation for the single GT class that will exit after 2010.

it sux, but no one else can play with the 3 and 4 car. at least GT should be kul next year with BMW back too.

Elbow
12-17-2008, 05:41 PM
A Saudi guy says he's going to run a Ferrari powered car in every class.

EJ25RUN
12-17-2008, 07:16 PM
it sux, but no one else can play with the 3 and 4 car. at least GT should be kul next year with BMW back too.

I made a spelling error that really changed the meaning of my post.

Here is what i meant to say

"This is preporation for the single GT class that will exist after 2010."

A Saudi guy says he's going to run a Ferrari powered car in every class.

Got a link or an article about this?

cartune
12-17-2008, 09:49 PM
subaru also pulling out of wrc

http://www.gtchannel.com/content.php?cid=49858

Elbow
12-17-2008, 10:48 PM
Porsche will be back in 2010