PDA

View Full Version : General Chat More Ford great pr. This time it is a racist radio advert. lol

EJ25RUN
12-10-2008, 03:02 PM
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2008/12/ocwelch_opt.jpg

Autoblog...

A Ford dealer in Hardeeville, SC has begun airing an ad that contains what many consider a racist remark against the Japanese. O.C. Welch, the dealership's owner, claims in the ad entitled "Wake Up America" that Japanese vehicles like those made by Toyota are "rice ready... not road ready." OK, we don't even know what that means, but it's clear that many Japanese-Americans are not pleased with the dealer's remarks. Welch, however, apparently couldn't care less and claims the ad, which is one of five new promotions launched by his dealership yesterday, have a 96% approval rating. Referring to Japanese cars as "rice" actually began in the tuner culture, and usually refers to highly modified Japanese sport compacts that have more show than go.

Welch also asks in his advertisement why vehicles made by Toyota don't have that new car smell. We didn't know this was the case, but someone should tell Welch that the smell he loves so much actually comes from plastic dashboard pieces giving off toxic gas. Perhaps he should stop sniffing glove boxes before he makes marketing decisions. You can check out a video after the jump from a local TV news station that features clips from the ad in question as well as an interview of Welch, who comes off as just the greatest guy ever.

Here is the video, listen to this idiot. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAhNtDg4bOc)

Ran
12-10-2008, 03:08 PM
Part of this YouTube comment made me smile.

Last Year Toyota and GM each sold roughly the same amount of vehicles yet GM still managed a $30+ billion loss yet Toyota managed a $17+ billion profit. And Toyota's American workers are doing just fine. The Big 3 need to finally go file Chapter 13 and restructure a better plan. Failure is the only way to find out what really works. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result...

AirMax95
12-10-2008, 03:09 PM
Oh dear.....this may get sour.

I never understood the origin/meaning of the slang term "rice". Of course I can infer, but how did the term come about? Did it originate soley in the tuner culture?

DrBoost
12-10-2008, 06:12 PM
That guys is a douche!!!, He is the one that needs to wake up and smell the 100+ cars still on his lot. People are tired of buying crap cars, so we go a buy a car that last (Honda, Toyota, etc.) and we are somehow bad for the U.S. economy, I think not.

Man, give me a break, our car companies have been screwing us for the past 40+ years. My grandfather work at Ford for 32 years, my father work at Ford for 18, GM, 10, Chrysler for 5 years so I now how they run there "mob" factories. They push out 20,000 SUV's and push on the consumer to buy it because it makes them more American.

Also this comment:

"Wake Up America" that Japanese vehicles like those made by Toyota are "rice ready... not road ready."

It should read like this: "Wake Up America" that Japanese vehicles like those made by Toyota are "road ready... and American cars are Pull-A-Part ready."

1439/2000
12-10-2008, 06:15 PM
lol