PDA

View Full Version : Dissasembling a Auto Lense

mushroom_toy
12-09-2008, 09:20 PM
Well this is gonna be a fun Thread lol....So Ive taken apart one of my lenses to clean the inside glass, as it had some dust that was showing up in pictures. Ive tried and tried but cant seem to get it back together perfectly....If I get it back together I will probably never take it apart again. :)

CHADbee
12-10-2008, 10:15 AM
oh gawd

EJ_Allmota
12-10-2008, 11:04 AM
you sir were buggin to even try and do that in the first place... GOOD LUCK!!!! May the force be with you..

james
12-10-2008, 11:22 AM
you definitely have more dust on it than you ever did before.

eViLMunkey
12-10-2008, 01:10 PM
Bwahahaha... :lmfao: you should've known better... always take shtuff like that into a pro to deal w/

CHADbee
12-10-2008, 01:31 PM
oh and you know the dust might have not been in the lens but on your sensor.....

mushroom_toy
12-10-2008, 02:06 PM
It was the lens. It only showed in pictures using the kit lens. It was actually not dust and not fungus either. It was stuck to the lens itself and was hard to come off but was very small, whatever it was. I can get it back together but Only problem im having is lining everything up in harmony.

mushroom_toy
12-10-2008, 02:08 PM
Bwahahaha... :lmfao: you should've known better... always take shtuff like that into a pro to deal w/

Thats the mentality of an idiot. Ill get it back together and working fine.

eViLMunkey
12-10-2008, 02:14 PM
Thats the mentality of an idiot. Ill get it back together and working fine.

Ok don't take what I said as a joke and point out your inner insecurities w/ yourself and doubts of completion of your task at hand .. .but I would have taken it in to a pro just for the security of having a warranty w/ most of my equipment. Just think if something else goes wrong w/ the lens you have to shell out more cash just due to your messing w/ it to clean an unknown substance off of the lens and not having someone who has the knowledge and tools to fix and tell you what was on the lens how it could have gotten there and give you preventive tips... guess I'm an idiot for thinking correctly

87 Turbo II
12-10-2008, 02:16 PM
Lenses aren't supposed to be open. And the singular spelling is LENS not "lense", Plural is lenses. Yeah, I've taken a lens apart with no intent to put it back together (HUGE crack down the barrel so I thought, "eh, why not?". I was trying to keep everything in tack though and I broke sooo many things. That's what I'd be worried about if I were you. The electrical contacts are easy to damage.

mushroom_toy
12-10-2008, 02:22 PM
Ok don't take what I said as a joke and point out your inner insecurities w/ yourself and doubts of completion of your task at hand .. .but I would have taken it in to a pro just for the security of having a warranty w/ most of my equipment. Just think if something else goes wrong w/ the lens you have to shell out more cash just due to your messing w/ it to clean an unknown substance off of the lense and not having someone who has the knowledge and tools to fix and tell you what was on the lens how it could have gotten there and give you preventive tips... guess I'm an idiot for thinking correctly

I didnt say you were an idiot, but i said your mentality was. Listen im in the position to where I cant afford to take it to a "pro." I have taken things apart and put them back together my whole life, this is nothing different. It may take me a while but i will carefully have it back together and working fine. :D

mushroom_toy
12-10-2008, 02:24 PM
Lenses aren't supposed to be open. And the singular spelling is LENS not "lense", Plural is lenses. Yeah, I've taken a lens apart with no intent to put it back together (HUGE crack down the barrel so I thought, "eh, why not?". I was trying to keep everything in tack though and I broke sooo many things. That's what I'd be worried about if I were you. The electrical contacts are easy to damage.

Yeah I was very tired when i wrote all of that lol. Anyway though yeah Ive been very careful to take it apart, its just getting it back together thats the bitch. I broke none of the parts and everything is fine, like I said only problem im having is aligning everything perfectly.

eViLMunkey
12-10-2008, 02:36 PM
well goodluck still on getting it back together and I can understand the "interesting" finacial situations

mushroom_toy
12-10-2008, 02:54 PM
^Well shit I mean Im broke lol.

eViLMunkey
12-10-2008, 02:58 PM
^Well shit I mean Im broke lol.

Could always whore yourself out.. lmao :lmfao:

jennnay
12-10-2008, 03:41 PM
After an internal cleaning, if the groups are not sealed correctly then more crap can get inside. I would be careful if it is a nikon kit lens, because 50% of the time once it's reassembled the auto focus is off and needs adjustment(can only be done at their factory service center). I don't see that happen as much with canon lenses though.

Good luck!

A.P. Photography
12-10-2008, 08:11 PM
I won't even think about taking apart my lenses. lol.

mushroom_toy
12-10-2008, 09:46 PM
Its a Pentax 18-55 DA lens btw. Its so much of a bitch...lol...

DeutscheBAG!
12-11-2008, 12:24 AM
Well this is gonna be a fun Thread lol....So Ive taken apart one of my lenses to clean the inside glass, as it had some dust that was showing up in pictures. Ive tried and tried but cant seem to get it back together perfectly....If I get it back together I will probably never take it apart again. :)http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r179/Fdaveokc/Gifz/A-B/antichristneckstrangle.gif

87 Turbo II
12-11-2008, 01:02 AM
Yeah I was very tired when i wrote all of that lol. Anyway though yeah Ive been very careful to take it apart, its just getting it back together thats the bitch. I broke none of the parts and everything is fine, like I said only problem im having is aligning everything perfectly.
Well I prolly only broke everyhting cause i didn't just want to see the glass elements. I wanted to see the AF motor, coils, brushes, contacts, gears etc lol. So I got it down to a pile of glass plastic and metal hardware eventually, with a LOT of hair-thin copper wire damage, plastic tabs shattered and other stuff. Just a 50 1.8 II that, like I said, was already broken. I have the 50 1.8 I anyway; it's much better :D. Yeah these things are so compact and have such complex internal mechanics that I can see how they'd be hard to reassemble. I am NEVER taking apart my 70-200 f/4 L after I get it this holiday season. I am so excited!

mushroom_toy
12-11-2008, 01:28 AM
Well these are to give everyone an idea of what Im working with. not the sharpest pictures...but i was using my 50mm with no tripod...XD

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v28/JubeiMunchCurry/Photochops/IMGP2739.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v28/JubeiMunchCurry/Photochops/IMGP2752.jpg

mushroom_toy
12-15-2008, 07:41 PM
Well I gave up on putting it back together...and broke down and bought a brand new one. It should be here before Christmas. Thank god they are cheap lenses. Got mine for 49.99 off of buydig.com. Woot.