PDA

View Full Version : Power Mods Baffled oil pans

h23bb2
12-09-2008, 11:58 AM
Well after spinning bearings for the 3rd time in 9 months, and two after hard cornering situations, I'm seriously thinking about a baffled oil pan from moroso (obx makes an EXACT replica). But will this really stop it from happening?
Has anybody had ANY experience with baffled pans on H series or any other honda motor. I'm sure many of you have road raced or autoX your car with the stock pan and haven't had any problems. I'm not that lucky.....
I can not afford a dry sump setup, so please don't tell me to go that route. lol
ThanX!!

Init2winit
12-09-2008, 12:07 PM
Which bearing(s) are you spinning? What kind of clearances did the bearings have initially?

SiRed94
12-09-2008, 12:13 PM
I'd say that is probably not your problem. I'd probably have someone check my engine assembling techniques if this was happening to me. There are several people with Hondas that have gone with Moroso oil pans, and gone right back to stock, including myself.

SiRed94
12-09-2008, 12:18 PM
9/10 when you spin a bearing you fuck up atleast a rod and a throw on the crank.
Are you getting new short blocks each time? Or just having the crank turned and using oversized bearings?
Do you even have a mechanical oil pressure gauge?
Do you check the bearing clearances when you reassemble? < If yes, what are they?
Have you checked the clearances on your oil pump?
Check the block for blockages in the oil passages?
Is it all stock (pistons, rods, crank etc.)? If not, did you have it balanced?

h23bb2
12-09-2008, 12:19 PM
First two times it was main and rod bearings on and around cylinder 3 and a little scoring on the rest. Except for #1 which was fine both times. This time, I'm not sure.
I had somebody else plastigauge it (with alot more experience than me) (two different people) and had somebody with me the second time I reaasembled it so there's something else going on......

SiRed94
12-09-2008, 12:27 PM
I'd check out the oil pump if you haven't change it already. If you have, its probably fucked up again if the engine had no pressure. If you have fucked up several oil pumps, have the entire bottom end balanced, from clutch to crank pulley. And definitely get a mechanical oil pressure gauge. Also, check all of the oil passages of the engine for blockages.

Atlblkz06
12-09-2008, 01:21 PM
Baffling wont "stop" it, just delay pickup starvation.

EmminoDaGreat
12-09-2008, 02:12 PM
I have a baffled H series oil pan!! Moroso! $250 BNIB

nreggie454
12-09-2008, 04:46 PM
When I had my Honda, I always overfilled the oil to help with that problem. Also, if you get an oil pressure gauge, you hopefully have a little bit of warning before you spin another bearing.

h23bb2
12-09-2008, 06:20 PM
original engine with 150k miles failed after hard run on backroad- cylinder 3 rod bearing and surrounding main bearings failed

Pulled a crank out of another motor had it cut and bearings sized. Had friend 1 with better experience plastigauge it. It all checked out. Put 7k miles on it and while driving to school doing 80mph in 5th gear and destroyed the #3exhaust cam journal and cam (it was BAD) as well as #2&3 rod bearings and surrounding main bearings.

Used my original crank and rods after a HIGHLY recommended machine shop cut the crank and sized the bearings. Had friend 2 check it. Got the green light to re-assemble.

7k miles later it started to knock faintly after a hard back road jaunt for about 4 miles. The oil light flickers @ idle but goes out with a little throttle. Drove it about 4 miles and the knock hasn't gotten louder (its REALLY faint) but its down a good bit of power especially abouve 4000rpm but pulls ok in 5th gear @ 3000rpm.

If your wondering why I was getting on it, I can not hear inside the car. Only with the hood propped and slightly revving it can it be heard. Its really faint.
New OEM Honda oil pump after the last motor went.

h23bb2
12-09-2008, 06:21 PM
Bad torque wrench?????
Its the same one I used for both motors that I assembled. Its not an expensive unit. Could this be my problem????

Homer Simpson
12-09-2008, 10:48 PM
i know what your problem is steve...

YOU DRIVE TOO HARD!

but seriously, did it happen again??

h23bb2
12-09-2008, 10:54 PM
I know guys who autoX these things and road race them all the time. None of which have had this much horrible luck! I get on it but nowhere near as much in the 3 months that it lasted as a couple track sessions that friends do....
I dunno. I'm pullin the pan after work tomorrow. Wanna come and see the carnage teng??? lol

SiRed94
12-09-2008, 11:25 PM
The oil light flickers @ idle but goes out with a little throttle.

That's a good indicator of a worn/bad oil pump. The torque wrench is a possibility for premature bearing failures. Invest in a good one. Craftsman is decent and they are pretty affordable. Get an oil pressure gauge on there and let us know what the pressure is at idle and around 3k. You can get the oil pressure gauges very cheap at pretty much any parts store, you just need a 1/8 brass tee to tap into the back of the block where the oil pressure sending unit goes. It will save you alot of money as you can catch things before they happen. Are you using the same rods each time? Because when you spin a bearing it throws them out of round. Just don't give up on it. I would probably spend the money on another low mileage short block this time around. If you want to rebuild it, just make sure you have a good platform to start from, no spun bearings or scorched crank/rods. If you want to take a picture of the bearings once you break it back down, I can let you know what's up. You can read them kind of like spark plugs.

h23bb2
12-10-2008, 07:41 AM
rods were re-cut as well. Like I said, I'm hoping to pull it apart tonight weather pending....

h22ek
12-12-2008, 04:40 PM
I smell the beginning of an H22 swap :)

h23bb2
12-13-2008, 09:14 PM
nah. Read what it says under my screen name. lol
It was only the main bearings- rod bearings are all good. The crank is good too. SO new bearings and I'm calling it a day.