PDA

View Full Version : lowering springs

rmeyer114
12-09-2008, 11:19 AM
well its that time and im in the market for some lowering springs...im lookin to sit right about an 1.25" lower than stock and im looking for comfort and handling. i also dont wanna be bouncing around on a bumpy road because with my cut springs i bounce like i got switches when i go over certain intersections and certain roads so if i can get some advice on what to go with thatd be great im looking into the Tein S tech springs so if any1 knows anything about those post up some info on em thanks

wwli
12-09-2008, 04:15 PM
Tein S-Techs have a very nice ride and since your only looking for 1.25" drop then these will be perfect. Check out the Eibach springs as well, their a bit stiffer then the Teins and ride a bit harder but it all depends on what you want.

rmeyer114
12-09-2008, 04:37 PM
basicly what im looking for is great handling,and comfortness of stock height

wwli
12-09-2008, 05:18 PM
Tein S-Tech is what your looking for then.

Elbow
12-09-2008, 05:24 PM
NO Tein SUCKS, get Eibach. Teins are like stock rates that lower your car a little. They suck ass.

1moreaccord
12-09-2008, 05:38 PM
^haha Eibach and Neuspeed ftw!

Kaiser
12-09-2008, 06:16 PM
Lowering a car does not change the weight of the car. The higher the spring rates the more bounce you will have. Teins are good because they are similar to shorter stock springs, because they retain the same spring rate as the full size springs. He wanted less bounce, this is step one of how he gets it. Step two has to do with shocks/struts, not his springs.

OP: Springs bounce, that's what they do. Shock absorbers slow down and limit how much springs bounce. Your stock shocks are meant to work within a certain height range, unless you sectioned your struts and shocks when you cut your springs, your shocks are acting like they are partially compressed, meaning they don't do crap. This is why your ride is so bouncy. No matter what springs you have, with your stock shocks you will get bounce unless you get rock-hard springs, in which case you will simply break a tooth every time you hit a pothole.

Brand is less important than quality and function. Look for what is going to get you what you want out of the car. The S-techs are gonna be more on the comfort side with the lowered look, while Eibachs are much more on the handling side. Do some research on spring rates and damper rates, especially if you're not planning on getting adjustable.

rmeyer114
12-09-2008, 06:34 PM
NO Tein SUCKS, get Eibach. Teins are like stock rates that lower your car a little. They suck ass.

im not tryin to have my car on the ground i hate it being as low as it is now i can barely get over a speed bump i want it just a little lower than stock height

wwli
12-09-2008, 06:46 PM
The S-techs are gonna be more on the comfort side with the lowered look, while Eibachs are much more on the handling side. Do some research on spring rates and damper rates, especially if you're not planning on getting adjustable.

Exactly what Kaiser said. You said you want comfort and ride quality so that is what we offered ya.

and no Tein does not suck, they are just not for everyone but I still rock it if it wasn't for my rims.

jdm>usdm
12-09-2008, 06:51 PM
Tein ALL DAY. Eibach blows.

Kaiser
12-09-2008, 08:21 PM
jdm>usdm. You have NO CLUE WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT. Thanks.

Elbow
12-09-2008, 08:42 PM
^LOL fail!!!!!

No shit I know what Teins are supposed to do. But if you want a performance advantage go with Eibach, they make everything far better then Tein. Plus you can not be slammed, have a little better rates, and not be bouncy.

C-loS109
12-09-2008, 08:51 PM
i gots H&R's and they ride perfect, no bounce, but great ride quality. major difference in turns also.

Elbow
12-09-2008, 08:54 PM
Yeah I had H&R on my EF, LOVED them.

rmeyer114
12-09-2008, 10:17 PM
sounds good then ill definatley go with the tein ....i hear bad things about skunk2 why is that?

haynbtu
12-10-2008, 03:36 AM
well its that time and im in the market for some lowering springs...im lookin to sit right about an 1.25" lower than stock and im looking for comfort and handling. i also dont wanna be bouncing around on a bumpy road because with my cut springs i bounce like i got switches when i go over certain intersections and certain roads so if i can get some advice on what to go with thatd be great im looking into the Tein S tech springs so if any1 knows anything about those post up some info on em thanks
how much did you cut your springs? and does your tires have camber wear?

rmeyer114
12-10-2008, 09:09 AM
i didnt cut them i wouldnt do such a half ass thing in my life the previous owner did, but the back tires have camber wear the fronts are good, the cars basicly way too low for me, the back tires are like tucked under and they are the stock 15's

Elbow
12-10-2008, 09:27 AM
I cut the springs on my 240, and it rode much smoother then a friends car with a true Tein coilover setup. I had no bounce or anything, handled a little better, and was dropped nicely. Lots of race teams cut springs and play with rates that way, so it's not half assed if you know what are you doing such as detailed measurments and stuff. I had Skunk 2 on my CRX and liked them, they were a little bumpier then said H&R but I didn't care.

rmeyer114
12-10-2008, 12:52 PM
hm...well maybe mine were cut too low to where the shocks wont even be a use cause it truely is a horrible ride

haynbtu
12-11-2008, 01:38 AM
I cut the springs on my 240, and it rode much smoother then a friends car with a true Tein coilover setup. I had no bounce or anything, handled a little better, and was dropped nicely. Lots of race teams cut springs and play with rates that way, so it's not half assed if you know what are you doing such as detailed measurments and stuff. I had Skunk 2 on my CRX and liked them, they were a little bumpier then said H&R but I didn't care.

how much did you cut them? and i had a friend that cut the springs on his wrx and it handled better than some STI's with stp springs on it

rmeyer114
12-11-2008, 10:12 AM
wow thats crazy

Elbow
12-11-2008, 10:31 AM
how much did you cut them? and i had a friend that cut the springs on his wrx and it handled better than some STI's with stp springs on it

I don't remember it was a few years ago, it wasn't SLAMMED and it wasn't on the bump stops or anything, it took a whole day to get right, measure, etc. But it handled good. If you do it right results can be good :goodjob:

STRteg
12-11-2008, 03:29 PM

:goodjob::goodjob::goodjob::goodjob: go with Eibach its best

STRteg
12-11-2008, 03:30 PM
Tein ALL DAY. Eibach blows.

:lmfao::lmfao::lmfao::lmfao:

Kaiser
12-11-2008, 05:58 PM
^LOL fail!!!!!

No shit I know what Teins are supposed to do. But if you want a performance advantage go with Eibach, they make everything far better then Tein. Plus you can not be slammed, have a little better rates, and not be bouncy.

Strut length, spring height, both have nothing to do with "bouncy" cars. With less distance to the bumpstops you need higher rates to prevent them from hitting all the time. With higher rates, you get a bouncy ride. That's the only thing that causes a bouncy ride. Just spring rates versus the weight of the car.

The whole purpose of shock/strut assemblies is to minimize bounce within certain parameters. Thus you can be slammed, have better rates, and not have a bouncy car. There are PLENTY of them out there.

Edit: Eibach isn't really much of a performance increase unless the spring rates of the car were too low to begin with. Harder springs don't neccessarily make the car handle better under near-the-edge-of-grip driving conditions. I shouldn't need to explain that to someone with "racing is life" as their status.

Elbow
12-11-2008, 06:06 PM
^No shit....LOOK AT TEINS rates vs stock. Obviously you need to match your springs with shocks, this is a street car, he didn't say he's racing or will be on ege driving situations, so if he wants a small performance advantage, Eibach has stiffer rates, which WILL be better then softer rates obviously.

Racing is life is a quote from the movie Le Mans..

Smart ass

Kaiser
12-11-2008, 06:17 PM
But what's the point of a performance advantage in a street car? Maybe that's just where I'm having the problem here. The guy asked for something that still gave him ride quality. He's gonna have to have a significantly stiffer shock (And thus less comfort overall) to prevent bounce with the Eibachs. Eibach makes GREAT suspension parts but it's just not what the guy was asking for if you ask me. :p

And I know the quote. Know the movie too. :p

Elbow
12-11-2008, 06:32 PM
I THOUGHT he wanted a smooth ride and a small performance advantage lol. Some people like a car that's more fun then stock to drive around, but not push it.

It's a good movie ;) lol

Kaiser
12-11-2008, 06:38 PM
Pft, I THOUGHT he said he wanted to be lowered and not have a car had mexican jumping beans in the back. If he wanted a car that was more fun to drive around with a smooth ride, he would've bought an E30/36/Miata.

rmeyer114
12-11-2008, 07:29 PM
haha i dont even see why you guys are arguing about it, it was just a question guys

STRteg
12-11-2008, 07:38 PM
haha i dont even see why you guys are arguing about it, it was just a question guys

:goodjob: lets refrain before i war blows up this thread too lol

rmeyer114
12-11-2008, 08:49 PM
:goodjob: good idea

Elbow
12-11-2008, 08:51 PM
I'm not arguing.

But my Miata doesn't ride smooth at all? lol

STRteg
12-11-2008, 10:18 PM
I'm not arguing.

But my Miata doesn't ride smooth at all? lol