PDA

View Full Version : General Chat Santa Run 100...what did you think?

matthewAPM
12-08-2008, 11:43 AM
First off I want to say thank you to Jason and everyone else who was involved in the Santa Run event this year. I would also like to thank all the sponsors that were apart of this event for Toys For Tots.

I was really happy to see such a great turn out. Lots of really fast cars, only one crash, and a few offs.

What I want to know is what did everyone think about the event?

If you could change something what would it have been?

Big Baller
12-08-2008, 11:46 AM
I thought that it was a great event, especially for people that only do it once a year.

AirMax95
12-08-2008, 12:37 PM
From a spectators point of view, awesome!

If I am not driving next year, I will remember to bring a helmet to ride with people next time, soley for the experience.

BAD SS
12-08-2008, 12:51 PM
Hopefully I'll have a track car of my own for next year. I had a blast! It was my first time at an event like that.

Seymour222
12-08-2008, 12:54 PM
By far one of the coolest experiences for me, to date

The BUCKY
12-08-2008, 12:59 PM
pretty cool. only thing i might change is maybe a couple classes. even though it wasnt a true "race" it might give alot of the newer guys a chance to enjoy it that much more.

Chummy
12-08-2008, 01:36 PM
It was a great time and will definetly do it again

umairejaz
12-08-2008, 02:15 PM
I didn't drive but damn, I had the time of my life! Hopefully get a track car for next year and maybe even go a few times before the run comes back.

Thighs
12-08-2008, 02:52 PM
timing. stopwatches = fail.

Doppelgänger
12-08-2008, 03:07 PM
the only complaint i have is about the organization of the event. it was sorta unstructured and there was no accurate timing system set up. i think numbers on cars would have helped out alot.
Yeah, some of the conversations reguarding who was timing what car were pretty interesting up in the box-
"Ooo I want the red BMW"
"The one with the black wheels?"
"No, the one with the black trunk"
"Oh, I want to time the one with the black hood"
"Anyone got a time on the BMW with the black back wheels?"
"Yeah, I got [time] for the one with the black wheels."
(3 people talking about timing two cars, thinking they were all timing seperate cars)

Several of the people that were timing weren't to keen on what cars were on the track and were randomly timing some laps. Heck one guy came upstairs and asked what his time was and was straight up told "oh, we weren't even timing anyone that time". There could have been several ways to making timing easier, but it's all a moot point now...but maybe implimented at the next events that Jason wants to organize. Yes, I know it was all for fun...but some people wanted to know if new lines/settings/adjustments were. improving their laps...which is understandable. No one could even tell me my lap times from the 3rd session :dunno:

Anyway, had fun talking to everyone and a lot of fun getting out on the track again. Thanks to QS&L for the food!! Hopefully all of the off-track expeditions didn't bother the TGP officials too much :o
If/when Jason organizes another event, I will surely be there.

Things I learned,
Don't use slicks when it's below 50*
Make a better check list of things to do....like remember to change dampening on suspension before heading out on track.
Have alignment checked before going to the track.
I can now stand on my brakes and not worrk about fade or lock (no ABS either).

Big Baller
12-08-2008, 03:22 PM
Slicks aren't a big deal you just have to properly warm them. For those of you that don't know you can put more heat in the tires braking than you can swerving all over the place.

Doppelgänger
12-08-2008, 03:28 PM
exactly why I wasn't swerving...just accelerating hard and braking hard asap. Tire temps were ~101-110 after the 3rd session.

Ask MattAPM about swerving on warm up laps :lol:

DunDunSkeert
12-08-2008, 03:29 PM
I had a great time and learned a lot. Matt rode with me on my second run and that was definitely my best run. Unfortunately my tire got really bad and I lost a ton of grip toward the end. On my last run my tires were shot and my fuel light came on and I started fuel cutting so I just pulled off the track. I wasn't mad though because I got a really long second run. I also never got timed but I should have just had one of my friends time me. Overall it was a great experience and I'm definitely going to be doing track days now, but I'm getting another set of wheels and putting some sticky tires on before I track it. Did anyone else get their tires on the right side of their car destroyed? Too many left turns lol

Thighs
12-08-2008, 03:34 PM
^^ get a 5 speed too :ninja: ill help you swap it.

Big Baller
12-08-2008, 03:34 PM
exactly why I wasn't swerving...just accelerating hard and braking hard asap. Tire temps were ~101-110 after the 3rd session.

What kind of tires where you on?

DunDunSkeert
12-08-2008, 04:30 PM
^^ get a 5 speed too :ninja: ill help you swap it.

I plan on finding a rolled wrx and swapping everything over...:ninja:

Thighs
12-08-2008, 06:15 PM

but that wasnt really his fault...

Big Baller
12-08-2008, 06:21 PM

Did he spin?

abdullah9018
12-08-2008, 07:18 PM
i learned that its very important to stay on the track :goodjob:

Jaimecbr900
12-08-2008, 07:33 PM
Cool event, but just a couple of suggestions:

1. I'm with Bucky. At the beginning, it seemed like the "classes" were done fine, but then at the end it seemed quite a few cars didn't belong. Maybe the next time they can adjust as the day goes on. Seems like a few people weren't realistic about their experience. I know I didn't run my car, but when I have run it there it is frustrating to be slowed down when you're getting comfy.

2. The sponsors weren't supposed to have to have to pay additionally to get in, but we were charged. According to the gate keeper people....."The organizer didn't leave a list for them to see who was a sponsor and who wasn't". It wasn't a huge thing, but maybe next time work on that.

3. The food provided was actually very good IMO. Props for that. :goodjob:

4. The organization during the event was very good IMO. They kept the lines moving and people prepared. They announced everything clearly.....although it was hard to hear when the Country singer guy started singing....:lmfao: Good job there too. :goodjob:

5. The corner workers and inspection guys were cool. Very friendly and didn't have a chip on their shoulders at all. Props there too. :goodjob:

6. The wild cows as pace cars starting the whole race day was cool as hell.......do that again next year!!!!! :lmfao: :D

All in all, cool event. We had fun and will be a part of it again. :goodjob:

Formally...
12-08-2008, 09:03 PM
I had a blast. Very well orginized event considering the number of cars there. No major delays. Car did good until turbo came loose and exhaust leak meant no power (when you only have a little to start with this sucks). Got to drive Ben's hatch and made my car suck even more. Would have been nice to have some time of timing (more official or accurate) but I understand the difficultly when you have this many cars. Next time will bring own stopwatch just to get an idea. Big thumbs up to Jason and TGP crew.

The BUCKY
12-08-2008, 09:27 PM
yea i never got any food though. deff not enough food. sux for a sponsor to not be able to eat. lol

twincannon26
12-08-2008, 09:46 PM
this being my first track event, i had an absolute blast. i took my mk1 mr2, its mostly stock except for the brakes and suspension, which are very upgraded. ive never really pushed the car, i went in hoping to learn just what all it can do, and i did learn alot! the guys and girl i went with were very helpful as far as trying to teach me how to drive a road course. even though shes a girl, lea anne (fawk_you) is an excellent instructor and i highly reccomend having her as a coach. i cant wait to find another event and learn more!

i was also very impressed at some of the cars and their drivers. cars like the exige, clk black, sti, and newer beemers were awesome to watch, but being a cheap car kinda guy i was very impressed with the ls1 miata, green and white e36 beemers, the purple fc, all the e30s and miatas, and the ef honda. i honestly did not know just how much grip a miata can have with simple suspension mods. it really goes to show that driver skill can overpower big money cars anyday. i hope i get to meet more of the drivers and learn from their skill.

my overall experience was definatly the start of a new addiction. so much i bought an e30 earlier today. wish me luck. :goodjob:

SLOWR/T
12-08-2008, 09:47 PM
Im with alot of the people on timing. Another thing is it would have been nice to have a street tire class and a race tire class. Cars with Hoosiers shouldn't have been in the class with cars on street tires IMHO. Being the first time the event was at the track I think it was put on great! Ill be there next year for sure.

umairejaz
12-09-2008, 12:19 AM
^very valid point.

Doppelgänger
12-09-2008, 06:10 AM
What kind of tires where you on?

On some old C50 compound Hankook Z211..I used them all year for various track days and auto-x.... and they were used when I bought them. Hell, they might be done heat cycling for all I know.... but they will make for an interesting tire-smoking youtube display soon. I'll probably pick up a set of RA1's for next year's events since the prices are dropping to clear them out.

JennB
12-09-2008, 09:29 AM
Cold. Far, far too cold. I usually make a point to walk around and take pics of everything at an event and get some good on track shots of everyone but I could barely even take photos for half the day. I also didn't get to walk around and talk to people nearly as much as I usually do at track events. I don't know what's up with this weather lately but I'm pretty sick of it. I moved back south for a reason. Hopefully the next even there will be a little warmer for spectators, drivers and make it easier to heat up the tires.

The good - great experience for a lot of people who don't go to the track often or at all
Lots of experienced drivers as well that were able to give instruction to the noobs for free
Tons of toys (and hopefulyl some $$) collected for a good cause
Good free lunch

The bad -
Timing. I know it was for charity and all but you still have to be consistent. There were entire groups that weren't being timed during the third session and in some groups, they were only timing a few cars. Even if a lot of people there knew they weren't going to go home with a prize, they still would like to know how they were doing, see if they were improving though the day. It's nice to compare first run to second or third run to see if you're learning something. I'm sure a lot of people would have had friends time them (like I've seen every other time I've ever been to TGP for smaller track days) if they had known that no one official was timing them.
I was upstairs during a few sessions and saw some cars that maybe weren't the flashiest cars on the track that were running quite strong, but no one was timing them. I've actually been to TGP quite a few times, I've seen some cars that you wouldn't give a second look to in a parking lot with their hood closed and then they get out there and just tear it up. You can't just look at cars and guess which ones will be the fastest.

Overall, I do think it was a good event though. I would definitely attend another one. I'm all about charity events. If I can go somewhere and do something that I enjoy while giving, that's even better.

Big Baller
12-09-2008, 09:32 AM
Im with alot of the people on timing. Another thing is it would have been nice to have a street tire class and a race tire class. Cars with Hoosiers shouldn't have been in the class with cars on street tires IMHO. Being the first time the event was at the track I think it was put on great! Ill be there next year for sure.

It didnt really hold true at this event but yes there should be a race tire class and a street tire class.

JennB
12-09-2008, 10:11 AM
Agreed, if there were multiple prizes/competitions then it would matter (like at an SCCA event where you compete in your class) but since there was only one goal, it doesn't really make any difference (in my opinion). The only consideration would be to keep significantly slower cars in separate sessions from faster cars to prevent traffic jams. I saw a back up here and there but nothing too bad. People seemed to be fine with the passing rules.

matthewAPM
12-09-2008, 02:04 PM
The passing was pretty much free. I mean I saw some people diving in on people

JennB
12-09-2008, 02:06 PM
I didn't see that... but of course, I didn't see much when I was hiding inside trying desperately not to freeze and die.

Did the track officials say anything to anyone?

matthewAPM
12-09-2008, 02:10 PM
I didn't see that... but of course, I didn't see much when I was hiding inside trying desperately not to freeze and die.

Did the track officials say anything to anyone?

nope. it was mostly going into the last turn off the back straight

JennB
12-09-2008, 02:14 PM
Aaah.... I was only back there once. Took a bunch of pics from on the fence during the third session.

Is passing usually allowed in the middle after the big right hand turn? I couldn't remember if I've seen passing allowed there before.

DunDunSkeert
12-09-2008, 02:52 PM
The passing was pretty much free. I mean I saw some people diving in on people

Haha you must have seen yourself.

DunDunSkeert
12-09-2008, 02:52 PM

Great idea man!

matthewAPM
12-09-2008, 02:56 PM
Aaah.... I was only back there once. Took a bunch of pics from on the fence during the third session.

Is passing usually allowed in the middle after the big right hand turn? I couldn't remember if I've seen passing allowed there before.

No, its not allowed. But people opened the door there so I passed. haha

I know I was passing into the last turn a few times. I mean if they want me to pass, then ill pass. haha. Just happy to see no one got into anyone

TopSpeedInc
12-09-2008, 04:00 PM
If people would have paid attention to the rear view mirror and gave a point by then there wouldn't have been any passing into the turns. ;)

Big Baller
12-09-2008, 04:21 PM
LOL at Doug

slow_hatch
12-09-2008, 06:21 PM

Lol, do explain :blah:

man
12-09-2008, 08:02 PM
Who wrecked?

khan351
12-10-2008, 07:40 AM
Had an absolute blast!! My first time at an open track event and I am hooked!

abdullah9018
12-10-2008, 10:45 PM
Had an absolute blast!! My first time at an open track event and I am hooked!
wait till u hit the drag strip

twincannon26
12-14-2008, 09:41 AM
wait till u hit the drag strip

i love the strip, dont get me wrong, but i honestly think i enjoyed the track better. on a drag strip its a rush for 15 secs or so,longer if you drive a slow honda like mine. on a track its a rush for several minutes, every turn/shift/brake has to be planned otherwise you lose it, and recovering from a mistake can be even more of an adrenaline rush.

it would be wicked cool to have a drag and track event tho.