PDA

View Full Version : Orlando or Charlotte......?

SL33P3R
12-07-2008, 12:34 AM
I plan on going to one of those UTI campuses mid January. I havent made up my mind which one I want to go to yet, since they both teach different things, but that doesnt matter here. Which place would you rather live? I figure some people here might have experience from one of the places or maybe lived/live there.

Discuss

AlanŽ
12-07-2008, 12:34 AM
orlando

SL33P3R
12-07-2008, 12:35 AM
Explain...

Deke
12-07-2008, 12:37 AM
I going to say Charlotte. I've been to both cities (although never lived in either), and Charlotte is just an all around nicer city. Plus Orlando is a tourist city, which I think I would just find annoying. Also the weather is nicer (IMO) in Charlotte. I'm not a fan of hot and humid.

SL33P3R
12-07-2008, 12:42 AM
Yeah. Im just looking to see which one would be more fun, nicer, etc. Hows the night life in both and stuff. Because I want to be able and have a good time in town after school, and I feel like I should get some input before I put a decision in concrete.

81911SC
12-07-2008, 12:45 AM
Clear your PM's
Then PM me.

redrumracer
12-07-2008, 12:57 AM
orlando, i had a friend go to the one down there and he loved it.

TheGrillMan
12-07-2008, 01:06 AM
orlando is a fun city as far as the nite life go's

and the locals down there call it whore-lando for a reason

SL33P3R
12-07-2008, 01:08 AM
orlando is a fun city as far as the nite life go's

and the locals down there call it whore-lando for a reason

You may of just made my mind up, sounds like its made for me :D

TheGrillMan
12-07-2008, 01:09 AM
You may of just made my mind up, sounds like its made for me :D

and this fact is very true

i grew up in daytona\ palmcoast

and when i was about 17 and pissed off all the girls local to me id go to o-town and have a blast

::warning::

stds are infact real

SL33P3R
12-07-2008, 01:23 AM
and this fact is very true

i grew up in daytona\ palmcoast

and when i was about 17 and pissed off all the girls local to me id go to o-town and have a blast

::warning::

stds are infact real

Know from experience? haha, I try and have some standards, but depends on how much alcohol haha

TheGrillMan
12-07-2008, 01:24 AM
Know from experience? haha, I try and have some standards, but depends on how much alcohol haha

standards dont matter

fl= fine ass everywhere espically in o-town

SL33P3R
12-07-2008, 01:40 AM
Deff got a hard decision haha

TheGrillMan
12-07-2008, 01:43 AM
Deff got a hard decision haha

maybe you could visit both places>?

i duno what your into but as far as fl go's i could help with actitivys

legal or non

:ninja:

Deke
12-07-2008, 01:50 AM
Haha ok, yeah, if that's what you're looking for, I'd go for Orlando. I didn't really consider the fact that you are talking about going to school. I'm getting close to graduation and already starting to think of nice places to settle down and become a yuppie.

SL33P3R
12-07-2008, 12:14 PM
maybe you could visit both places>?

i duno what your into but as far as fl go's i could help with actitivys

legal or non

:ninja:

You live in Orlando?

man
12-07-2008, 12:25 PM
Orlando ftw. But I'm biased

Elbow
12-07-2008, 01:12 PM
Orlando.

FL FTW

Double_0_Rusty
12-07-2008, 02:23 PM
Def go to Orlando, I got accepted down there for MMI. Went down checked it out, and loved it.

On the other hand

NIT in NC, isn't all that bad. My best friend went to NTI, and loved it.

But my personal opinion is Orlando.

Jbauer
12-07-2008, 05:03 PM
Charlette..it's the newest campus, very clean, in a quiet neighborhood and it was near a very auto. tech related town.. lots of shops etc. near it.

I know you've got your heart set on this, living alone, meeting new people...but take my word for it bud, Your making one of the biggest mistakes of your life. UTI is nothing but scam..except they actually back it up with a decent education..decent meaning its no greater then what you get at a community college. I've heard of kids that graduate from there and are useless automotive technicians.. just flat out useless at it. This is a job your either good at or not, and you only go to school for the paper..nothing else. Your not going to be some sort of engine building reputable among every car enthusiast technician just because you graduated from UTI and because the recruiter told you that.

pretty much what will happen is this: you'll go to UTI. you'll work your butt off to pay your tuition.. your going to graduate..if you do real well you may have a manufacturer that will recruit you for 14 bucks an hour..or you'll work lube tech for 9 dollars an hour at world toyota.. Then they'll give you your Certificate...if your lucky, maybe a diploma..so you'll have no status in life (If that matters to you)..and you spent 25 grand for a POS certificate when you could of spent 4,000 and got a Degree in Applied Sciences for taking automotive tech. at your nearest community college.
your going to work your butt off while you try to manage a home and a family, and then your going to be paying back 30k in student loans. all the while, the glamour of being an automotive technician will be lost..you may grow to hate the job, or just lose the interest you once had in it..you'll pay off your debts and then you may consider a REAL piece of paper (degree) and you may decide to do something else technical..with much more money, less stress on your body, more work and less tools in it (HVAC, etc.) when you figure out that the auto. industry is looking really grim and that many so called ''in demand'' techs are losing their jobs and these dealers really don't want to hire any techs. The future, from what i've heard infact is moving away from this whole 'educated tech' thing.. eventually there may be just a direct link between engineer and very few qualified high tech quick working 'part swappers'.. we'll just have to see how the next generation of OBD will work.. Cars in 10 years are going to be quite diffrent then what they are..it's an exciting time. Engines are getting more powerful, build quality is getting better.. the automobile has had a pretty short life..it's still growing and I believe it's about to hit a revolution.

Double_0_Rusty
12-07-2008, 06:19 PM
Charlette..it's the newest campus, very clean, in a quiet neighborhood and it was near a very auto. tech related town.. lots of shops etc. near it.

I know you've got your heart set on this, living alone, meeting new people...but take my word for it bud, Your making one of the biggest mistakes of your life. UTI is nothing but scam..except they actually back it up with a decent education..decent meaning its no greater then what you get at a community college. I've heard of kids that graduate from there and are useless automotive technicians.. just flat out useless at it. This is a job your either good at or not, and you only go to school for the paper..nothing else. Your not going to be some sort of engine building reputable among every car enthusiast technician just because you graduated from UTI and because the recruiter told you that.

pretty much what will happen is this: you'll go to UTI. you'll work your butt off to pay your tuition.. your going to graduate..if you do real well you may have a manufacturer that will recruit you for 14 bucks an hour..or you'll work lube tech for 9 dollars an hour at world toyota.. Then they'll give you your Certificate...if your lucky, maybe a diploma..so you'll have no status in life (If that matters to you)..and you spent 25 grand for a POS certificate when you could of spent 4,000 and got a Degree in Applied Sciences for taking automotive tech. at your nearest community college.
your going to work your butt off while you try to manage a home and a family, and then your going to be paying back 30k in student loans. all the while, the glamour of being an automotive technician will be lost..you may grow to hate the job, or just lose the interest you once had in it..you'll pay off your debts and then you may consider a REAL piece of paper (degree) and you may decide to do something else technical..with much more money, less stress on your body, more work and less tools in it (HVAC, etc.) when you figure out that the auto. industry is looking really grim and that many so called ''in demand'' techs are losing their jobs and these dealers really don't want to hire any techs. The future, from what i've heard infact is moving away from this whole 'educated tech' thing.. eventually there may be just a direct link between engineer and very few qualified high tech quick working 'part swappers'.. we'll just have to see how the next generation of OBD will work.. Cars in 10 years are going to be quite diffrent then what they are..it's an exciting time. Engines are getting more powerful, build quality is getting better.. the automobile has had a pretty short life..it's still growing and I believe it's about to hit a revolution.

Very good post. This is infact, why I didn't go to UTI. I opted to work at a Chevy dealer as a lube tech and work my way up. After being there a year and 5 months I am a line tech doing just about everything, and making fairly good money for a 21 year old. I have worked my butt off, and learned just about everything I can. So far, I haven't been labled as a lube tech for about 6 months now. Also I am now ASE Certified.

Jbauer
12-07-2008, 06:38 PM
Thats a very good way to do it.
When i worked for VW, there were guys there, really good guys that turned lots of hours, who started off Washing cars. They sent them to VW school and they came out certified and doing well..it's all natural. I really believe that. Some people just aren't cut out for this kind of work too, so unless your sure your good at this don't spend 25,30,000 dollars. Not to mention living expenses. You don't even want to know what thats like in Orlando. If you go to a school here you can live with mommy and daddy..and if you suck at the job atleast you didn't spend 30 thousand dollars.
Heck, i don't know your race, but if your black you can get a FREE education here AND BMW and all the good guys ONLY recruit minorities..there are a lot of good opportunities right here at home if your serious about this job.

Justin.
12-07-2008, 06:55 PM

AMEN...I lived in mooresville, nc for a while, that's where the NTI campus is...Cost of living there is pretty expensive, even if you get near the lake, "lake norman"...

but to answer your question, I was a regular in the charlotte night life..and there is not one night of the week that the clubs are not packed. Down town there is a party central...

BUT.....Hope you have more money then sense, cause don't expect much play unless you can pay to play, cause the girls around there are nothing short of money grubbing sluts.

Double_0_Rusty
12-07-2008, 06:56 PM
Thats a very good way to do it.

When i worked for VW, there were guys there, really good guys that turned lots of hours, who started off Washing cars. They sent them to VW school and they came out certified and doing well..it's all natural. I really believe that. Some people just aren't cut out for this kind of work too, so unless your sure your good at this don't spend 25,30,000 dollars. Not to mention living expenses. You don't even want to know what thats like in Orlando. If you go to a school here you can live with mommy and daddy..and if you suck at the job atleast you didn't spend 30 thousand dollars.
Heck, i don't know your race, but if your black you can get a FREE education here AND BMW and all the good guys ONLY recruit minorities..there are a lot of good opportunities right here at home if your serious about this job.

QTF, and repped.

81911SC
12-07-2008, 07:43 PM
I have to disagree. I know a lot of people who are giving those examples but you can't speak for all. Until you are there and know what you are talking about for sure, it's different. I'm not going into it right now though. I'm too tired, headache, about to eat but I'm not going to just take a bad rap either.

Dracc
12-07-2008, 08:03 PM
OK.. 1st let me say I'm here in orlando at UTI.. I will be done in May.. and I have to say.. if you know anything.. and I mean anything about cars.. UTI is a step Baccwards.. my brother Anthony and I attend the Orlando campus.. orlando is cool. seeing as UCF is not far and thats party central but tourist here will get you killed because they cant drive.. main reason why I wont get a bike while I'm here.. everyone drives 240's now too lol.. but the school it self.. BORING.. i'm asleep most of the time in class because its so repetative...the nissan program is the SHIT though... another thing.. finding work here after you graduate UTI.. I've heard is a Bitch.. because so many have burned bridges at companys from this school that they wont hire any of us.. If I were you.. I'd go to the NC campus.. we tried getting in there but they were full .. thats why we are here

Jbauer
12-07-2008, 09:38 PM
Dracc is speaking the truth. He spoke two very true points that i always here from UTI grads.
UTI graduates have a REP for messing up at work. It's not all of them, it's just that it's a lot of them that keep screwing up.. A lot of employers won't hire UTI students because they've been burned by them and just don't want to take the chance. at my job it was diffrent, my shop foreman liked the UTI techs...but a LOT will throw away your resume when they see the UTI on the certificate..unless you've got refrences and more training to go with it (like the Nissan, etc.) It's also nice if you get into Audi or something..because they have a contract to keep you for atleast 2 years i believe. These high end manufacturers are willing to take the risk ONLY because YOUR the one paying for it..UTI says they'll pay for it back after you finish but good luck with that haha. They're also willing to take the hit because if you get a 4.0 avg, have 99.9 percent attendence and made it into their school they figure that you have what it takes..a good percentage of the time, they get a good tech out of the deal.. but a lot of the time they may not either. I've heard of UTI students with straight A+ averages and great attendence be sucky. it's life though; you may not be good at what you want to be good at.

Also, alot of students are aware that "Job placement" Is a LOAD of B.S. Here is UTIs definition of job placement..on the last day of school..they'll pring out the name of shops..and there phone number/email adress.. and you call and email those employers.. If you can't find a job they tell you ''we can't spoon feed you, its up to you to find the job'' What the hell kind of job placement is that? For one UTI ONLY has relations with dealers..or atleast mostly dealers..Dealers are FUBAR'd..this economy is real harsh on the auto industry..look at the bail outs..it ain't only Ford/GM and chrysler that are F'd. You can pretty much forget about being hired at any one of those big three right there. Those import dealers are doing horrible too.. good luck finding a Job at a dealer when like a THOUSAND students are applying for the same damn positions..look around you, this country is going to isht..you'd have better luck finding a job at a dealer if a Zombie Invasion cleared out half the population..and that STILL wouldn't increase the value of the damn dollar. If anything, this hurts YOUR chances. You gotta see the business side of UTI..these dealers depend on UTI to supply the market with auto. techs, thats how they get sponsors, and there name on billboards. I really don't believe they give a crap about the student.

UTI may be boring for dracc, but thats because they start from the very basics..pretty much any school will be like that. simply because you don't learn crap in school. I can honestly say the only reason to go to school is to get the damn paper, so you can step foot in the dealer..the foremans know this..they won't even let you touch a damn car by yourself if your fresh out of school. Whats rediculous is you can probably land a job at a dealer if you try hard enough ( i mean H.a.r.d, the recession is destroying dealers all across the nation).. once you get in, work your ASS off. do what ever they tell you with no second guessing and buy the boss something nice on the holidays..and they'll get you in school, for free. i know guys that don't have a degree/diploma, no nothing..they washed cars..moved up to lube tech, got sent to school, got certified and started careers.. paying the extra 4,000 dollars now at a community college lets you by pass the car washing..and about half of the lube tech..and really; it's nice to hold a degree. It's a nice sense of acomplishment even if it is just an Associates.

Something else very important. Do NOT trust your recruiter.. one thing you must understand is that UTI is a lot like the military..but with all the negative stereotypes attatched. they'll say anything to get you in and give you a whole bunch of small print afterwards. It was so amusing to hear the recruiter try to explain to me and my mom how 'a degree was essentially useless'' and that ''employers hold the certificate in higher regard than a degree''.

These stories are filled online, if you'd just take the time to google UTI experiences. In any case, if you spend 25,000 dollars + for a certificate then thats a sad choice to make.

amandDA
12-07-2008, 09:49 PM
I going to say Charlotte. I've been to both cities (although never lived in either), and Charlotte is just an all around nicer city. Plus Orlando is a tourist city, which I think I would just find annoying. Also the weather is nicer (IMO) in Charlotte. I'm not a fan of hot and humid.

:goodjob:

Dracc
12-07-2008, 10:08 PM
Dracc is speaking the truth. He spoke two very true points that i always here from UTI grads.
UTI graduates have a REP for messing up at work. It's not all of them, it's just that it's a lot of them that keep screwing up.. A lot of employers won't hire UTI students because they've been burned by them and just don't want to take the chance. at my job it was diffrent, my shop foreman liked the UTI techs...but a LOT will throw away your resume when they see the UTI on the certificate..unless you've got refrences and more training to go with it (like the Nissan, etc.) It's also nice if you get into Audi or something..because they have a contract to keep you for atleast 2 years i believe. These high end manufacturers are willing to take the risk ONLY because YOUR the one paying for it..UTI says they'll pay for it back after you finish but good luck with that haha. They're also willing to take the hit because if you get a 4.0 avg, have 99.9 percent attendence and made it into their school they figure that you have what it takes..a good percentage of the time, they get a good tech out of the deal.. but a lot of the time they may not either. I've heard of UTI students with straight A+ averages and great attendence be sucky. it's life though; you may not be good at what you want to be good at.

Also, alot of students are aware that "Job placement" Is a LOAD of B.S. Here is UTIs definition of job placement..on the last day of school..they'll pring out the name of shops..and there phone number/email adress.. and you call and email those employers.. If you can't find a job they tell you ''we can't spoon feed you, its up to you to find the job'' What the hell kind of job placement is that? For one UTI ONLY has relations with dealers..or atleast mostly dealers..Dealers are FUBAR'd..this economy is real harsh on the auto industry..look at the bail outs..it ain't only Ford/GM and chrysler that are F'd. You can pretty much forget about being hired at any one of those big three right there. Those import dealers are doing horrible too.. good luck finding a Job at a dealer when like a THOUSAND students are applying for the same damn positions..look around you, this country is going to isht..you'd have better luck finding a job at a dealer if a Zombie Invasion cleared out half the population..and that STILL wouldn't increase the value of the damn dollar. If anything, this hurts YOUR chances. You gotta see the business side of UTI..these dealers depend on UTI to supply the market with auto. techs, thats how they get sponsors, and there name on billboards. I really don't believe they give a crap about the student.

UTI may be boring for dracc, but thats because they start from the very basics..pretty much any school will be like that. simply because you don't learn crap in school. I can honestly say the only reason to go to school is to get the damn paper, so you can step foot in the dealer..the foremans know this..they won't even let you touch a damn car by yourself if your fresh out of school. Whats rediculous is you can probably land a job at a dealer if you try hard enough ( i mean H.a.r.d, the recession is destroying dealers all across the nation).. once you get in, work your ASS off. do what ever they tell you with no second guessing and buy the boss something nice on the holidays..and they'll get you in school, for free. i know guys that don't have a degree/diploma, no nothing..they washed cars..moved up to lube tech, got sent to school, got certified and started careers.. paying the extra 4,000 dollars now at a community college lets you by pass the car washing..and about half of the lube tech..and really; it's nice to hold a degree. It's a nice sense of acomplishment even if it is just an Associates.

Something else very important. Do NOT trust your recruiter.. one thing you must understand is that UTI is a lot like the military..but with all the negative stereotypes attatched. they'll say anything to get you in and give you a whole bunch of small print afterwards. It was so amusing to hear the recruiter try to explain to me and my mom how 'a degree was essentially useless'' and that ''employers hold the certificate in higher regard than a degree''.

These stories are filled online, if you'd just take the time to google UTI experiences. In any case, if you spend 25,000 dollars + for a certificate then thats a sad choice to make.

QFT... everything here is true.. I went to a dealership to get a tech job and luccily because I used to be a salesmen I got the job as a lude tech its part time but I do everything from running parts to getting the lunch all while working at the airport as a aviation tech and school at 6am.. now with the job placement thing.. yeah that are supposed to help you with that while in school and you know how they do that? Give you a list of businesses that are hiring maybe one to 5 people here and there .. mind you they give this list to EVERYONE IN THE SCHOOl.. acouple thousand people and expect you to find employment.. also the cost of living because we are so close to sea world disney world and all that here.. is out this world.. I stay maybe a blocc from sea world and my one bedroom one bath POS is 850 a month :screwy:

Bruce Leroy
12-08-2008, 07:49 AM
UTI is nothing but scam

TRUTH!!!

Something else very important. Do NOT trust your recruiter

Truth #2!!!

xlivingfor1x
12-08-2008, 09:25 AM
dude orlando is the shit. i loved everything about it and plan on moving back when im done with school. i went to school down there for awhile. i dunno much about charlotte but i doubt it is better than orlando.

reps for orlando

i guess the school thing is a bad idea, but if your looking to get out of GA, orlando is awesome. nightlife is amazing, girls are fine as hell...ALL OF THEM! its like a candy store down there. the hot girl to guy ratio is like 6 to 1.

mmm i wanna move back

Dracc
12-08-2008, 10:56 AM
the hot girl ratio is 12 to 1 now.. due to the fact there are so many gays here now

xlivingfor1x
12-08-2008, 11:11 AM
more for us!!!