PDA

View Full Version : Power Mods Anyone else haveing to reset their boost?

Goinfasterthanu
12-04-2008, 07:47 AM
I got in my car last night .... took it for a spin and my boost was creeping a little to redline... Normally dont have this problem... It was only 1 psi{ 11.8 to 12.7} Is this normal for really cold weather? Its no big deal as i can adjust it with the greddy profec . Just wondering as its NEVER dont this . Normally holds 12.3-8 no problem........ Just wondering...

1439/2000
12-04-2008, 08:07 AM
As the weather gets colder, the air gets more dense and the intercooler is really efficient. It happens. You arent running lean from 1 or 2 psi unless you tune to the ragged edge so I wouldnt adjust your settings.

Sport1.3
12-04-2008, 08:22 AM
yes its completely normal.....mine has been spiking in the 1-2 psi range

Goinfasterthanu
12-04-2008, 08:59 AM
cool .... been kinda worried about it.... Thanks all!! reps to you both...

AnthonyF
12-04-2008, 09:58 AM
colder u dummy!

Cold air = more dense = MORE AIR = MORE PWOA!!!!!!!!!! <yea...i fuked that up and I'm too lazy.

-Ant.

superboost
12-04-2008, 05:28 PM
yep. its normal. just watch your afrs

MR.EM1
12-04-2008, 09:13 PM
yea. i jumped from 7 psi to 8 psi. i love cold weather

BTEC
12-04-2008, 09:16 PM
on my last setup, i crept like 2 to 3 psi. i loved it. lol!!! but i had it so the more it crept the richer it ran. never "tuned" it past my set boost level but i know it wasnt gonna detonate bc it went lean. overnight street tuning owns me.

TS240
12-04-2008, 09:21 PM
Like everyone else said, it normal mine spiked from 13-14 the other day. I drive my car out of boost 90% of the time so its not that big of a deal, just keep an eye on it.

B00STedSvT
12-04-2008, 11:09 PM
DAMN THIS IS SOME SERIOUS BIZNESS!!

Goinfasterthanu
12-05-2008, 06:57 AM
cool thanks for the help ... Havent had the car during winter yet....

green91
12-05-2008, 09:41 AM
Yep its normal. Ive even had to adjust my IAT compensation and some of my fuel maps to help compensate. Gotta love cold weather!

Vteckidd
12-05-2008, 10:51 AM
this is the season we in the perofmrance shop industry call "job security"

all the turbo guys start blowing motors up cause if they are tuned to like 17-19psi, if they go out an night they will sometimes see spikes to 23-25psi and kaboom

bRiAnMcIvIcS
12-08-2008, 08:32 PM

all the turbo guys start blowing motors up cause if they are tuned to like 17-19psi, if they go out an night they will sometimes see spikes to 23-25psi and kaboom

Thats scary.:(

miro_gt
12-11-2008, 11:33 PM

true .. with crappy tune

others run overboost protection. And I on the other hand have 3 different types of those, lol. Still loving the cold weather :D

Vteckidd
12-12-2008, 11:11 AM
true .. with crappy tune

others run overboost protection. And I on the other hand have 3 different types of those, lol. Still loving the cold weather :D

No, not with a crappy tune, sorry but OVERBOOST protection doesnt mean your car is bullet proof, if you think it is you have alot to learn oh god of the tuning world :blah:

miro_gt
12-12-2008, 03:32 PM
No, not with a crappy tune, sorry but OVERBOOST protection doesnt mean your car is bullet proof, if you think it is you have alot to learn oh god of the tuning world :blah:

I think it's pretty close to bullet proof (towards overboost). All you need for the function to work is a good map sensor .. and that's it. And even if that fails, there are always other ways to work around the overboost (mechanical ways)

now I have incorporated overboost protection in my fuel and ignition maps as well, in case the other option doesn't activate for some reason. As I have same thing for overrev protection.

I'm speaking only for overboost since that's what you wrote about other guys getting their engines blown from. If I was about to speak about overall "bullet proof" tune, then a whole other things would get in place, such as closed loop operation (in boost), IAT compensation, water temp. compensation, gear compensation, etc.

anyways, and how did you figure that I have a lot to learn about tuning ? .. cause I've closed that chapter long time ago ..

cheers :gay:

P.S.
crappy tune is tune that could lead to blown engine, not only tune that runs the car half ass all the time.

GTScoob
12-12-2008, 03:41 PM
Damn, y'all need to run more boost through those motors. I run 20psi daily and hit a spike of 26psi last week but the car took it like a champ. Then again my turbo doesnt flow any more air at higher boost so its not as big of an issue.

1439/2000
12-12-2008, 03:41 PM
colder u dummy!

Cold air = more dense = MORE AIR = MORE PWOA!!!!!!!!!! <yea...i fuked that up and I'm too lazy.

-Ant.

Do you see what you just did there? Everytime I tell you that you never add anything to a thread but just regurgitate what somebody else has already said like 3 posts before (usually me). You really are retarded.

1439/2000
12-12-2008, 03:42 PM
Damn, y'all need to run more boost through those motors. I run 20psi daily and hit a spike of 26psi last week but the car took it like a champ. Then again my turbo doesnt flow any more air at higher boost so its not as big of an issue.

Depends on the motor. Different compression ratios means not every motor can handle the same amount of boost.

GTScoob
12-12-2008, 03:48 PM
Depends on the motor. Different compression ratios means not every motor can handle the same amount of boost.
Yeah, I was kidding :goodjob: But for real, colder dryer air makes your air intake colder and dryer!

Atlblkz06
12-16-2008, 12:50 AM
Ok a lot of you guys are saying this is "normal". Yea its normal for boost to increase, but that doesn't mean its a good thing. Make sure you check your AFR.