PDA

View Full Version : Power Mods Limited Slip insert??

Ace
12-04-2008, 01:45 AM
Anyone ever used one of these things? I'm kinda halfway considering getting it. But I've never even heard of these things before. So I figured I'd check here before I bought it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250336438474&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:middle:us

jonathanjone
12-04-2008, 02:39 AM
im gonna say this would get more response in the gen tech area.lol. idk anything about these tho sorry.

MR.EM1
12-04-2008, 07:06 AM
id say no just bc its ebay. if u wanna go cheap just a buy a OBX lsd i think they are only 450.

Bruce Leroy
12-04-2008, 07:19 AM
Thats a knock off phantom grip.

I HEARD they kill your transmissions

Formally...
12-04-2008, 07:37 AM
I used a phantom grip in my old car (no one made a real lsd for it) and it worked pretty well. When I first installed it you could get both wheels to spin together on the streets but when I would autocross with slicks it would spin the inside tire. I took it back apart and put in stronger springs and machined the spider gears perfectly flat. This made it work a lot better. I ran it for 3yrs with no problems. ONLY get the phantom grip not some knock off. Also, like em1 said you can get OBX diffs for about $400

Ace
12-04-2008, 06:57 PM
Thanks a lot everyone for the great advice. I did some more hunting and I talked to friend that owns a DSM-only shop around here and he said for me to check with TRE. He said I can get a really good one from them for super cheap and....he was right. Check it out. It looks really good....a heck of a lot better than that ebay one. (not to mention a lot cheaper)

http://www.teamrip.com/SPECIALS.htm

Scroll to the very bottom and look for "RIPGRIP"

Ace
12-04-2008, 06:59 PM
After a little bit more hunting, I found a more thorough description. One that verifies what you said, Main Stream.

""What is a RIPGRIP? It's the infamous limit slip insert thingy for your transmission's open-style front differential, designed to provide increased traction to both front wheels. We now stock them for the Mitsubishi FWD &AWD vehicles. Custom units available upon request. Q: Will it break? A: No, the RIPGRIP will not break. Q: Will it make my front differential spider gearset fail quicker? A: It's a possibility but you should understand that the spider gearset and cross shaft should be inspected for signs of fatigue or abnormal wear and replaced if necessary. Another important procedure while installing the RIPGRIP is to reshim the spider gearset to bring eliminate backlash. This is what we do to while rebuilding our transmissions and so should you.""

I found that at the very bottom of this page:
http://www.teamrip.com/news.html

southside
12-04-2008, 07:23 PM
My friend used it in his h22 tranny and it sucked.Nothing like lsd it didnt make both wells spin and he paid 250$ for it.When obx lsd is only like 350$ which I will be throwing in my b16 tranny.That has been used my street tuner on many projects and have worked great dont waste your time or money just my :2cents: But HEY its up to you!