PDA

View Full Version : Bad grammar/spelling/punctuation disease

Mr. Clean
12-02-2008, 07:42 PM
Is IA an example of how hard America's education system is failing? All day I see the most ridiculous spelling issues and misuse of words such as their/they're/there, to/too, your/you're.

I know I don't always use capitalization and occasionally fuck up on a sentence or two, but there is no excuse for some of the shit that I see spilled all over peoples' posts.

So is 80% of IA that retarded or does no one really care how they portray themselves on a public board? Oh and I understand an occasional shitty post if someone was in a hurry or just really didn't care about a nonchalant post, but there's way too many times when I KNOW someone just really doesn't understand proper use of the English language.

Maybe this is all just coming from the fact that I've had to write papers for about the last 15 years and consistently do well. It may just be ingrained in me that when you type... do it right. I don't really know. This thread isn't to be a ginormous grammar nazi and make me out to be a douchebag. I just can't stand reading a bunch of posts that look like a 3rd grader wrote them.

A couple that I cannot stand:

Definitely. Please fucking spell this word right.

Their- ownership
There- a location
They're- they are

To- a preposition that introduces the destination or receiver of an action.
Too - an adverb with primary meanings of “also” or “excessively”.

If the first letter sounds like a vowel, you use "an." If the first letter sounds like a consonant, use "a."

Anyway, discuss...

AnthonyF
12-02-2008, 07:43 PM
^one easy answer...YES.

I would have to say, on internet forums and internet sites in general people tend to slack a bit have a relaxed way of typing.

-Ant.

Buttons
12-02-2008, 07:43 PM
I THINK THAT THE WORSE MISTAKE EVER IS WHEN SOMEONE SAYS

"YOUR DUMB"

... I DON'T OWN A DUMB! JESUS!

I LAUGH EVERY TIME AT THIS IRONY!

AnthonyF
12-02-2008, 07:44 PM

"YOUR DUMB"

What about typing in all caps?

-Ant.

redrumracer
wut ya mean

Tech5
I don't give a rats ass!
http://www.ratsasses.com/images/Asscrop.jpg (http://www.ratsasses.com/wst_page3.html)

On_Her_Face

"YOUR DUMB"

ha-ha.

Buttons
12-02-2008, 07:46 PM
What about typing in all caps?

-Ant.

i felt like talking in all caps.

sakasaku
12-02-2008, 07:48 PM

"YOUR DUMB"

"Your Dumb" :lmfao:

Mr. Clean
12-02-2008, 07:51 PM
^one easy answer...YES.

I would have to say, on internet forums and internet sites in general people tend to slack a bit have a relaxed way of typing.

-Ant.

relaxed is one thing. i do that often. such as now. but that doesn't mean that i have to type like a fuckstick.

fuckstick translation:

relaxed is one thing i do that oftin like now. that doesnt mean i have to type like a fuckstick.

Buttons
12-02-2008, 07:54 PM
relaxed is one thing. i do that often. such as now. but that doesn't mean that i have to type like a fuckstick.

fuckstick translation:

relaxed is one thing i do that oftin like now. that doesnt mean i have to type like a fuckstick.

i mean my grammar is not always perfect.. but jeez, people could use common sense grammar.

allmotoronly
12-02-2008, 08:02 PM
I gave up trying to correct people's grammer on here a long time ago. It always ends up being an arguement about how that is their "style". And on another note, I HATE when people type in all caps. It makes me want to shoot a kitten out of my potato gun.

Buttons
12-02-2008, 08:02 PM
I gave up trying to correct people's grammer on here a long time ago. It always ends up being an arguement about how that is their "style". And on another note, I HATE when people type in all caps. It makes me want to shoot a kitten out of my potato gun.

i typed in all caps for my emphasis... i've been talking about "your dumb" to everyone for the past two weeks. big pet peeve.

Got Milk?
12-02-2008, 08:03 PM
I have no idea what your trying to tell me. By the way, you're write up was clean and of the chain.

Tech5
12-02-2008, 08:04 PM
WHO CARES IF YOU TYPE IN ALL CAPS!!!

HERE I WILL FOR YOU ALL TO GET PISSED AT ME AN CALL ME THACKER!!!!

just kidding

LIKEG6
12-02-2008, 08:06 PM
yup, that shit gets annoying

AnthonyF
12-02-2008, 08:08 PM
i felt like talking in all caps.

^Perfect example of what the OP is talking about.

You aren't talking. You are typing. This is a form of communication.

-Ant.

allmotoronly
12-02-2008, 08:08 PM

just kidding

<gets in car and goes looking for kittens on the side of the road>

Mr. Clean
12-02-2008, 08:09 PM
LULZ

allmotoronly
i typed in all caps for my emphasis... i've been talking about "your dumb" to everyone for the past two weeks. big pet peeve.

It's one thing to use all caps to put emphasis on one word or a short sentence, but typing whole paragraphs or multiple posts in all caps is what really annoys me.

AnthonyF

just kidding

Nice Signature Thacker. :bump:

-Ant.

allmotoronly
12-02-2008, 08:11 PM
Ant you still like your tacoma? My brother just got a brand new TRD taco. It's pretty cool. It gets stuck in wet grass though...

AnthonyF
12-02-2008, 08:12 PM
Ant you still like your tacoma? My brother just got a brand new TRD taco. It's pretty cool. It gets stuck in wet grass though...

Yeah yeah. I love it. Handles like a DREAM! I want to TRD s/c it soooo bad. Your bro should do it also!! :goodjob::goodjob::goodjob:

-Ant.

Maniacc
12-02-2008, 08:13 PM
Cans hais teh engrish buuk fram skewl?

allmotoronly
12-02-2008, 08:13 PM
Yeah yeah. I love it. Handles like a DREAM! I want to TRD s/c it soooo bad. Your bro should do it also!! :goodjob::goodjob::goodjob:

-Ant.

lol my brother is a bum who doesn't have a job and lives with my parents. I don't see a s/c in his future...

AnthonyF
12-02-2008, 08:14 PM
lol my brother is a bum who doesn't have a job and lives with my parents. I don't see a s/c in his future...

hahah Give him a present for Xmas with a picture of one. :lmfao:

-Ant.

Tech5
12-02-2008, 08:14 PM
Hey ANT!!! you Mo Fo for editing my SIG!!!!

You know what I will keep it ! lol

allmotoronly
12-02-2008, 08:16 PM

-Ant.

lololol. Honestly, he probably wouldn't even know what it was. My parents spoil him really bad already. The last thing he needs is for me to suggest that he needs a s/c. My parents would probably buy one for him, while I'm over here making a $500/mo car payment on a vehicle I had to pay for myself... I love being the oldest.

allmotoronly
12-02-2008, 08:16 PM

-Ant.

lololol. Honestly, he probably wouldn't even know what it was. My parents spoil him really bad already. The last thing he needs is for me to suggest that he needs a s/c. My parents would probably buy one for him, while I'm over here making a $500/mo car payment on a vehicle I had to pay for myself... I love being the oldest.

Buttons
12-02-2008, 08:17 PM
^Perfect example of what the OP is talking about.

You aren't talking. You are typing. This is a form of communication.

-Ant.

everyone knows all caps means = yelling in real life.

allmotoronly
12-02-2008, 08:17 PM
wtf double post???

Tech5
12-02-2008, 08:18 PM
You fail!
wtf double post???

allmotoronly
12-02-2008, 08:24 PM
You fail!

lol no IA's server failed. Go figure.

BKgen®
12-02-2008, 08:47 PM
interwebs -- serious bidness.

FasTech
12-02-2008, 08:51 PM
I can't stand it. I always try to have everything correct. Spelling, capalization, etc... But every once and in awhile I'll forget something. I usually just fix it before or after a post if I catch it. Not so much to look smarter than anyone on IA but just because it annoys me.

allmotoronly
12-02-2008, 08:52 PM
fast tech, can you do me a favor?

BKgen®
12-02-2008, 08:54 PM
I can't stand it. I always try to have everything correct. Spelling, capalization, etc... But every once and in awhile I'll forget something. I usually just fix it before or after a post if I catch it. Not so much to look smarter than anyone on IA but just because it annoys me.

x2

I'm super OCD about my grammar/spelling, even on the internet.

FasTech
12-02-2008, 08:57 PM
fast tech, can you do me a favor?

No, I've done told you I won't shave your pubes....

*wait* WHAT?

FasTech
12-02-2008, 08:57 PM
x2

I'm super OCD about my grammar/spelling, even on the internet.

Glad to know I'm not the only one....lol

allmotoronly
12-02-2008, 08:58 PM
No, I've done told you I won't shave your pubes....

*wait* WHAT?

lol.

I just rolled over 1000 points. I want to see how much I'm worth now.
count your reps.

FasTech
12-02-2008, 09:03 PM
lol.

I just rolled over 1000 points. I want to see how much I'm worth now.
count your reps.

Alright go. I'm at 1864

allmotoronly
12-02-2008, 09:04 PM
Alright go. I'm at 1864
check now

FasTech
12-02-2008, 09:05 PM
1870 You worth 6 my friend.

allmotoronly
12-02-2008, 09:05 PM
ok thanks

TheGrillMan
12-02-2008, 09:06 PM
haha there are convo's about reps going on in like 4 diff threads

Tech5
12-02-2008, 09:06 PM
lol

Mr. Clean
08-08-2009, 12:48 PM
i feel like this thread needs a good bumpin'. i'm starting to see an excess of absolutely inexcusable typos here lately.

definitely. please fucking spell this word right.

their- ownership
there- a location
they're- they are

to- a preposition that introduces the destination or receiver of an action.
too - an adverb with primary meanings of “also” or “excessively”.

If the first letter sounds like a vowel, you use "an." If the first letter sounds like a consonant, use "a."

BobbyFresco
08-08-2009, 12:50 PM
Justin...

You are expecting way too much from folks around here. Seriously.

Mr. Clean
08-08-2009, 12:51 PM
just sayin'.

this shit is aggravating.

it's even worse now that i know a lot of the people on here and just want to see them portray themselves in a positive manner.

81911SC
08-08-2009, 12:54 PM
just sayin'.

it's even worse now that i know a lot of the people on here and just want to see them portray themselves in a positive manner.What are you? A mother?

Echonova
08-08-2009, 12:57 PM
i feel like this thread needs a good bumpin'. i'm starting to see an excess of absolutely inexcusable typos here lately.

definitely. please fucking spell this word right.

their- ownership
there- a location
they're- they are

to- a preposition that introduces the destination or receiver of an action.
too - an adverb with primary meanings of “also” or “excessively”.

it's even worse now that i know a lot of the people on here and just want to see them portray themselves in a positive manner.I hate mother fuckers that don't capitalize the first letter in a sentence.

PURP
08-08-2009, 12:57 PM
I feel like this thread needs a good bumpin'. I'm starting to see an excess of absolutely inexcusable typos here lately.

"definitely" Please fucking spell this word right.

Just sayin'.

This shit is aggravating.

It's even worse now that I know a lot of the people on here and just want to see them portray themselves in a positive manner.

Just sayin'... :goodjob:

Mr. Clean
08-08-2009, 12:58 PM
I hate mother fuckers that don't capitalize the first letter in a sentence.

these are mah cazual posts lol. i corrected them on the OP.

lol i guess if the only thing that you guys can correct is the capitalization, then i'm doing alright.

the shift button doesn't get a whole lot of use on my keyboard unless i'm doing something official.

americanctm
08-08-2009, 12:58 PM
its annoying when people use "Loose" or "Loosing" instead of lose... fucktards

PURP
08-08-2009, 12:59 PM
What are you? A mother?

No..
But he is full of bitch ass ness.

BobbyFresco
08-08-2009, 12:59 PM
Lulz.

Mr. Clean
08-08-2009, 01:01 PM
No..
But he is full of bitch ass ness.

i use to be.

see what i did there?

lulz.

http://www.learnenglish.de/grammar/usedtotext.htm

lol @ the website name.

BobbyFresco
08-08-2009, 01:01 PM
I hate the following:

To
TOO

Your
YOU'RE

Conversate
CONVERSE

81911SC
08-08-2009, 01:02 PM
No..
But he is full of bitch ass ness.Probably right.

PURP
08-08-2009, 01:04 PM
i use to be.

see what i did there?

lulz.

Use to be?? Hmmm.... How often do you call?? How often do you show a team you helped start, love?? (no homo)...

That is a prime example of nothing but, BITCH-ASS-NESS!:goodjob:

BobbyFresco
08-08-2009, 01:05 PM
Shit's getting real.

Echonova
08-08-2009, 01:06 PM
I don’t have a problem with “leet speak” or texting abbreviations when they are called for. But I hate when people use that language when there is no need. If you are playing an online game and any time spent typing is likely to get you killed, its normal to type something like “srsly hlp me loc8 it”. But I find it annoying when someone sends an email that they had all the time in the world to type, and it reads like something they texted while weaving in and out of traffic.

Now read this: http://www.tvweek.com/news/2009/03/sci_fi_channel_aims_to_shed_ge.php

The Sci-Fi channel is changing its name (effective July 7th) to “Syfy“. Why are they doing this? because it’s “actually this is how you’d text it,” … “It made us feel much cooler, much more cutting-edge, much more hip, which was kind of bang-on what we wanted to achieve communication-wise.”

Why is it cooler to name things the way 12 year old kids would text them? That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard! It’s bad enough that kids these days cannot even tell time on an analog clock, but once marketing “geniuses” like these tards are done, people won’t bother to use proper english anymore.

I guess everyone else wiill follow suit now, so I might as well make some predictions on future name changes:

* Burger King -> bk “hv it ur way lol”
* McDonalds -> mcds “Im <3 it”
* WalMart -> wmrt “alwys lo $”
* Nike -> nIkE “jst doit, dnt b gay”

I won’t even go into how strange it is that the Sci-Fi channel does not want to be associated with Sci-Fi stuff…because it’s associated with “geeks and dysfunctional, antisocial boys in their basements”….what the hell?

Ah well, I guess I’m done ranting for now, kthnxbai

PURP
08-08-2009, 01:07 PM
wurs dat mr. bitch ass ness at, boi?? Him kneeds tew shey sumtin

Mr. Clean
08-08-2009, 01:07 PM
Shit's getting real.

lol true story.

from a grammar thread we got straight to personal business in like...6 posts.

good game.

PURP
08-08-2009, 01:09 PM
EYES HOLLERININ ATCHA SUN...

Mr. Clean
08-08-2009, 01:13 PM
lol. uhh... i'm sorry :thinking:

sry you strapped on the pants and took it wherever you wanted. you're doing fine, i'm just along for the ride i suppose.

i got a sticker. that's all that's really important, right?

PURP
08-08-2009, 01:21 PM
lol. uhh... i'm sorry :thinking:

sry you strapped on the pants and took it wherever you wanted. you're doing fine, i'm just along for the ride i suppose.

i got a sticker. that's all that's really important, right?

Not really...

Someone had to. Otherwise it prolly wouldn't be here.

Just Sayin'

Mr. Clean
08-08-2009, 01:28 PM
not disputing that. it's just not on my priority list when you have obviously taken the reins. i just wanted to be associated with my friends. anything past that is just a bonus i suppose. we all have fun however many of us get together at any given time. why does someone always have to be responsible?

self-thread jack commence.

PURP
08-08-2009, 01:32 PM
not disputing that. it's just not on my priority list when you have obviously taken the reins. i just wanted to be associated with my friends. anything past that is just a bonus i suppose. we all have fun however many of us get together at any given time. why does someone always have to be responsible?

self-thread jack commence.

I never said I was responsible. I just said, if no one would have done what I did, it would prolly not be here. I'm on the same level as you. I'm here for friends. I was just making a comment on how you're full of bitch ass ness for never calling or anything. Maybe letting us know if you're going to make a meet or not. You took what I said, and now you're trying to turn it into a goon on goon hate crime...

Echonova
08-08-2009, 01:33 PM
G00n Squad... Ride or die.
http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv309/aminah_013/grandma1064.jpg

PURP
08-08-2009, 01:37 PM
yeah mah nukka...We ride together, kill people together, goon squad foe lyfe

Mr. Clean
08-08-2009, 01:42 PM
I never said I was responsible. I just said, if no one would have done what I did, it would prolly not be here. I'm on the same level as you. I'm here for friends. I was just making a comment on how you're full of bitch ass ness for never calling or anything. Maybe letting us know if you're going to make a meet or not. You took what I said, and now you're trying to turn it into a goon on goon hate crime...

you know i'm incapable of making plans. and i haven't missed any meets that i know of really.

Echonova
08-08-2009, 01:48 PM
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x249/Echonova1/un_africa-1.jpg

Mr. Clean
08-08-2009, 01:50 PM
bwahahahahahahahahaha.

PURP
08-08-2009, 01:52 PM
you know i'm incapable of making plans. and i haven't missed any meets that i know of really.

Why can't you make plans?? I make them all the time. Just be like, "hey, I get off at this time, or I'm off work this day. Would you like to get together and chill?" Hell, a phone call once a month would be great. A text message, something...lolol.. And please quit spreading the bitch ass ness. Joe gave it to you, we don't need anyone else with it.

Echonova
08-08-2009, 01:52 PM
LOL. I'm done stirring the pot. Time to go back to working on the car.

PURP
08-08-2009, 01:58 PM
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x249/Echonova1/un_africa-1.jpg

you love the goons and you know it...

Let's end the thread jack. It was supposed to be bout prupher gramer

Mr. Clean
08-08-2009, 01:58 PM
EDIT:

Let's end the thread jack. It was supposed to be bout prupher gramer

true story.

fuck the misspellers and what-not.

PURP
08-08-2009, 01:59 PM
LOL. I'm done stirring the pot. Time to go back to working on the car.

Yes it is.... GOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...lol

PURP
08-08-2009, 02:01 PM
i just suck at making plans. and last time i checked i still show up to everything but the parties if i'm in town.

Okay, please use capital letters when need be.

Are you gonna make the TFS goon roll out??

Double_0_Rusty
08-08-2009, 02:10 PM
Justin, why don't you make a thread about bad gammar........oh....wait...WUT

black_e92
08-08-2009, 02:45 PM
I sukc ta speling ass whell.

StreetHazard
08-08-2009, 05:11 PM
Believe it or not, bad grammar can actually be good for you. It can actually serve you better than good grammar can. I'm not saying you should ignore the rules specified in the textbook. What I'm saying is that you should know when to stick to the rules and when to break them.

It all depends on the context of your writing. You need to pay obsessive attention to spelling and grammar when you're writing academic papers, business correspondence, legal papers and other such formal documents. When you're doing any of the following things, however, you have the license to break quite a few rules:

1. Creative writing. The greatest novelists and poets of English literature routinely ignored proper punctuation, subject-verb agreement, and the other basic rules your English teachers told you to follow. Think James Joyce, Salman Rushdie, Gertrude Stein and Emily Dickinson. The fascinating things they did with English wouldn't have been possible if they stuck to the rules.

2. Blogging. Popular bloggers naturally have well-written posts. However, these posts are written in an informal style that doesn't bother with the more obscure rules. That's because blogs aim to communicate with ordinary people in the most effective way possible.

3. Speechwriting. US President-elect Barack Obama's acceptance speech is a very good example of how to break grammatical rules in order to communicate in the most effective manner possible. Take a look at this excerpt:

It's the answer that led those who've been told for so long by so many to be cynical and fearful and doubtful about what we can achieve to put their hands on the arc of history and bend it once more toward the hope of a better day.

For situations not included in this list, ask yourself these two simple questions:

Who are you writing for? Is it your boss? Your friends? Your clients? Is your target audience highly educated or not? What socio-economic class do these people belong to?

What effect do you want to have on your readers? Do you want to entertain them? Inform them? Impress them? Do you want them to buy your product or service?

Bajjani
08-08-2009, 05:46 PM
I think that worrying so much about peoples grammar/spelling/etc on here should be the least of your concerns. Its just the intrawebz, doesn't really affect anything. I really don't care what my posts look like as long as its done well enough someone can understand what I'm saying.

ueyedgr8tness
08-08-2009, 06:49 PM
OMG!! its a car forum do ppl really worry about grammer on here *shakes head*

81911SC
08-08-2009, 06:52 PM
OMG!! its a car forum do ppl really worry about grammer on here *shakes head*"grammar".

Mr. Clean
08-08-2009, 08:09 PM
el oh fucking el ^

priceless.

man
08-08-2009, 10:38 PM
Mr. Clean, you should use a comma in place of your forward slashes. I agree, too many people here have POOR grammar.

:taun: :boobies:

Mr. Clean
08-08-2009, 10:42 PM
...too many people here have POOR grammar.

you know, i actually thought about thought when i bumped this thread lol. if i was da real big moderator i would change it but, alas, i am not.

Lankhoss
08-09-2009, 12:09 AM
My favorite is the people who bitch when you correct them, and they're all "Sorry I didn't put all my effort into using perfect grammer (always spelled this way) and spelling!!!"

Because obviously it takes ALL SORTS OF MENTAL POWER AND EFFORT TO USE 4th GRADE SPELLING AND GRAMMAR SKILLS WHEN YOU COMMUNICATE.

It takes me so much longer to type out some mockery of these retards with "u" and "their" misused, as well as using "sale" instead of sell and vice versa, etc...than it does to just fucking type something the correct way.

Lankhoss
08-09-2009, 12:14 AM
Believe it or not, bad grammar can actually be good for you. It can actually serve you better than good grammar can. I'm not saying you should ignore the rules specified in the textbook. What I'm saying is that you should know when to stick to the rules and when to break them.

It all depends on the context of your writing. You need to pay obsessive attention to spelling and grammar when you're writing academic papers, business correspondence, legal papers and other such formal documents. When you're doing any of the following things, however, you have the license to break quite a few rules:

1. Creative writing. The greatest novelists and poets of English literature routinely ignored proper punctuation, subject-verb agreement, and the other basic rules your English teachers told you to follow. Think James Joyce, Salman Rushdie, Gertrude Stein and Emily Dickinson. The fascinating things they did with English wouldn't have been possible if they stuck to the rules.

2. Blogging. Popular bloggers naturally have well-written posts. However, these posts are written in an informal style that doesn't bother with the more obscure rules. That's because blogs aim to communicate with ordinary people in the most effective way possible.

3. Speechwriting. US President-elect Barack Obama's acceptance speech is a very good example of how to break grammatical rules in order to communicate in the most effective manner possible. Take a look at this excerpt:

It's the answer that led those who've been told for so long by so many to be cynical and fearful and doubtful about what we can achieve to put their hands on the arc of history and bend it once more toward the hope of a better day.

For situations not included in this list, ask yourself these two simple questions:

Who are you writing for? Is it your boss? Your friends? Your clients? Is your target audience highly educated or not? What socio-economic class do these people belong to?

What effect do you want to have on your readers? Do you want to entertain them? Inform them? Impress them? Do you want them to buy your product or service?

Don't think any of these points relate to the kids on these forums that still live at home and will probably work at Dunkin Donuts until they're 35 or so.

There's also a big difference between people who know better, but are smart enough to use their own rules in an artistic and expressive way that can illustrate something to people, and fucking morons who just literally don't even know how to talk.

The Ninja
08-09-2009, 12:14 AM
Grammatical mistakes that come from ignorance don't bother me as much aS tH1s sH1T.

§treet_§peed
08-09-2009, 12:27 AM
http://marcvz.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/grammar-nazi.jpg

Mr. Clean
08-09-2009, 05:44 PM
There's also a big difference between people who know better, but are smart enough to use their own rules in an artistic and expressive way that can illustrate something to people, and fucking morons who just literally don't even know how to talk.

well said, sir.

BobbyFresco
08-09-2009, 05:47 PM
I will never comprehend why people would want to give the appearance of being an idiot, internet or otherwise...

Total_Blender
08-09-2009, 09:28 PM

I wouldn't put anyone here on IA on the same linguistic plane as Joyce or Burroughs or Kerouac. There's a difference between brilliance and ignorance.

I'm all about Naked Lunch or On The Road. However, when I see a post on IA with no punctuation, capitalization etc, I just assume the poster belongs to the lowest common denominator of humanity and I move on to another post.:lmfao:

TheProfiteer
08-10-2009, 07:56 AM
I have always had a problem with punctuation and spelling, even as a child. Probably because even though English has become my primary language its not my first.

heck just in the religion forum I was convinced that "conscience" wasnt even a word, up until I looked it up. I was so sure he was trying to write "conscious" that i did not even consider my ignorance.

Am I ignorant of all the propper english phonetics and grammar? Yes.

Does that make me an idiot, well I personally dont think so. Then again, who wants to consider themselves an idiot.

Jason..
08-10-2009, 08:08 AM
Is IA an example of how hard America's education system is failing? All day I see the most ridiculous spelling issues and misuse of words such as their/they're/there, to/too, your/you're.

I know I don't always use capitalization and occasionally fuck up on a sentence or two, but there is no excuse for some of the shit that I see spilled all over peoples' posts.

So is 80% of IA that retarded or does no one really care how they portray themselves on a public board? Oh and I understand an occasional shitty post if someone was in a hurry or just really didn't care about a nonchalant post, but there's way too many times when I KNOW someone just really doesn't understand proper use of the English language.

Maybe this is all just coming from the fact that I've had to write papers for about the last 15 years and consistently do well. It may just be ingrained in me that when you type... do it right. I don't really know. This thread isn't to be a ginormous grammar nazi and make me out to be a douchebag. I just can't stand reading a bunch of posts that look like a 3rd grader wrote them.

A couple that I cannot stand:

Definitely. Please fucking spell this word right.

Their- ownership
There- a location
They're- they are

To- a preposition that introduces the destination or receiver of an action.
Too - an adverb with primary meanings of “also” or “excessively”.

Anyway, discuss...
Wow seriously?Then im sure all u motherfuckers hate me then.

BobbyFresco
08-10-2009, 10:03 AM
Wow seriously?Then im sure all u motherfuckers hate me then.

You butcher the English language, in written form and in its entirety, on a regular basis.

Sammich
08-10-2009, 10:04 AM
eye halve to kwestuhnz?

wurs my milq?

wurs my rimz?

PURP
08-10-2009, 10:11 AM
Bad grammer/spilling/punksueation desieze, is ceries bisnis

DJ Maestro
08-10-2009, 10:19 AM
Bad grammer/spilling/punksueation desieze, is ceries bisnis

j00 been drinkin' again hazn't j00?? :thinking:

TheProfiteer
08-10-2009, 10:22 AM
You butcher the English language, in written form and in its entirety, on a regular basis.

nobody butchers it quite like Sammich.

Total_Blender
08-10-2009, 10:23 AM
Am I ignorant of all the propper english phonetics and grammar? Yes.

Does that make me an idiot, well I personally dont think so. Then again, who wants to consider themselves an idiot.

At least you make the effort and try to produce something readable.

most people on IA type long paragraphs like this witout ne spellingz or punctautions and lots of mistaeks and stuff its just a big wall of text thats hard to read because you need a bookmark or something but who ever uses a bookmark on a computer screen and speaking of questions you really cant tell if questions are being asked when people don't use question marks or punctuations and capitulazashions like their sopposed to doo people says its a waist of time to learn how to right correckt but rilly it all comes down to how sirius you want people to taek you're posts

PURP
08-10-2009, 10:23 AM
j00 been drinkin' again hazn't j00?? :thinking:

Nose. Eye bin werkin on ma teyeping

PURP
08-10-2009, 10:28 AM

most people on IA type long paragraphs like this witout ne spellingz or punctautions and lots of mistaeks and stuff its just a big wall of text thats hard to read because you need a bookmark or something but who ever uses a bookmark on a computer screen and speaking of questions you really cant tell if questions are being asked when people don't use question marks or punctuations and capitulazashions like their sopposed to doo people says its a waist of time to learn how to right correckt but rilly it all comes down to how sirius you want people to taek you're posts

I understood all of that. When you're able to read something and tell the difference in the way words are phrased, it's not hard to distinguish what's what. Just because a person doesn't add the correct punctuation, doesn't justify another person to make a thread and bitch about it. Remember, this is the internet and nothing needs to be serious. I promise it will not look good on a resume, by telling them you can type in perfect order on an online forum. Which is meant for automotive pleasure.

Just Sayin'

TheProfiteer
08-10-2009, 10:41 AM

there are only a few people here on IA that really post like that.

and I think they make and effort to post like the in the first place.

They trying to act like dey streetz yo.

BobbyFresco
08-10-2009, 10:42 AM
there are only a few people here on IA that really post like that.

and I think they make and effort to post like the in the first place.

They trying to act like dey streetz yo.

I think there are people here that are really just that stupid.:lmfao:

TheProfiteer
08-10-2009, 10:46 AM
I think there are people here that are really just that stupid.:lmfao:

lets not go and point any fingers now.

quickdodge®
08-10-2009, 10:51 AM
I don't try to impress folks, but instead, I take pride in myself and the way I present myself. I tend to see more respect to people that present themselves in a respectable manner than those who feel it is cool to type like idiots. Not to mention, for me, it's much easier to type in an educated style. It takes longer for me to type as if I were a moron than it does to type normally. Later, QD.

Jason..
08-10-2009, 10:54 AM
You butcher the English language, in written form and in its entirety, on a regular basis.,Ok,';

Halfwit
08-10-2009, 10:55 AM
What

BobbyFresco
08-10-2009, 10:56 AM
lets not go and point any fingers now.

Like someone already mentioned, at least you make a point to relay what you're saying in a way that most people can understand...

The whole shorthand, butcher the spelling of words, add a z on the end of everything, and gross obliteration of the English language in general has gone too far...Internet or not, how you present yourself is how people judge you...and I'm sorry but I can't and will not take someone seriously when they intentionally type in a manner such as that, which is diplayed very prominently, on this forum.

ShooterMcGavin
08-10-2009, 10:56 AM
i can has stuff for sell now?

ultm8mind
08-10-2009, 11:13 AM
This is a subject that I also find comical. Kind of like the guy that "doesn't correct people's grammer anymore." I guess if they quit correcting your spelling, you can stop correcting their GRAMMAR, lol. Love it when people attempt to correct others and are wrong, haha.....but hey just my :2cents:

ultm8mind
08-10-2009, 11:14 AM
I don't try to impress folks, but instead, I take pride in myself and the way I present myself. I tend to see more respect to people that present themselves in a respectable manner than those who feel it is cool to type like idiots. Not to mention, for me, it's much easier to type in an educated style. It takes longer for me to type as if I were a moron than it does to type normally. Later, QD.
Amen

ultm8mind
08-10-2009, 11:15 AM
LOL, yes this guy before you ask.

TheProfiteer
08-10-2009, 11:19 AM
This is a subject that I also find comical. Kind of like the guy that "doesn't correct people's grammer anymore." I guess if they quit correcting your spelling, you can stop correcting their GRAMMAR, lol. Love it when people attempt to correct others and are wrong, haha.....but hey just my :2cents:

hey i just did that the other day, i was trying to convince homie Geoff that he was a fool for writing conscience.

When I first saw it, I started laughing histerically <--- see I spelled it wrong, i know it, im about to go look it up. Oh look its spelled hysterically, god damn y's.

anyway, when I found out that Conscience, is really a word, and not only that spelled correctly, oh boy did I feel like a fool.

and I couldnt even spell Poaching right, I spelled it pouching.

:doh:

i cant spell for shit.

Dirty Octopus™
08-10-2009, 11:37 AM
n¡ggas say i talk like a white boy.
but i find white boys that dont even talk like me.

Dirty Octopus™
08-10-2009, 11:37 AM

ultm8mind
08-10-2009, 11:45 AM
hey i just did that the other day, i was trying to convince homie Geoff that he was a fool for writing conscience.
When I first saw it, I started laughing histerically <--- see I spelled it wrong, i know it, im about to go look it up. Oh look its spelled hysterically, god damn y's.
anyway, when I found out that Conscience, is really a word, and not only that spelled correctly, oh boy did I feel like a fool.
i cant spell for shit.
Haha, pouching, sounds like something a big girl with FUPA would do, kind of a female version of our teabagging, haha

BobbyFresco
08-10-2009, 11:48 AM
Haha, pouching, sounds like something a big girl with FUPA would do, kind of a female version of our teabagging, haha

:lmfao:

Wtf is FUPA?

DJ Maestro
08-10-2009, 11:52 AM
:lmfao:

Wtf is FUPA?

Fat Upper Pussy Area

ultm8mind
F.U.P.A.= Fatter Upper Pussy Area

BobbyFresco
Ah....so a muffin top?

Total_Blender
08-10-2009, 11:54 AM
Remember, this is the internet and nothing needs to be serious. I promise it will not look good on a resume, by telling them you can type in perfect order on an online forum. Which is meant for automotive pleasure.

Just Sayin'

But how seriously would you consider the advice of someone who posts like that, especially if its something technical? I'd be highly skeptical of someone offering me advice on a motor build when they only have the language function of a 3rd grader. :dunno:

ultm8mind
08-10-2009, 11:56 AM
Ah....so a muffin top?
pretty much, that fatty part between the cooch and the beltline.....

BobbyFresco
08-10-2009, 11:57 AM

Lulz...

How do you know so much about that?
Hmmm..?:lmfao:

DJ Maestro
08-10-2009, 11:57 AM

Only sexy on a girl in good shape. All others are just fat all around. :yes:

Total_Blender
08-10-2009, 12:06 PM
Ah....so a muffin top?

Lower than that. Its like a fat roll in the front of their pants. :ninja:

I read something he other day that I found shocking. The standard used in determining our literacy rate in the United States is the 4th grade level. So 99.999% (or whatever %) of people in America can read... on a 4th grade level.

There isn't much info out there on what percentage of adults function at the level they should (at least HS level). The sad part is that at my high school I remember kids graduating who could barely read. How do you get to be a high school senior when you can't read out loud from easier books like Moby Dick or Huckleberry Finn? I could understand HS kids not being able to read from something like Joyce, but seriously... wtf.

ultm8mind
08-10-2009, 12:09 PM
Lulz...

How do you know so much about that?
Hmmm..?:lmfao:
I know so much about that because I see it alot. Not really anyone I know, and definitely not the wife. Since I am in the Army, you know the troops have names for everything to include that, LOL. Just one of those things......

ultm8mind
08-10-2009, 12:12 PM
Only sexy on a girl in good shape. All others are just fat all around. :yes:
A sexy girl in good shape? I dunno if they'd have that, maybe if they pushed a kid or two out and let themselves go during pregnancy.....But usually on the "bigger" girls. Cause I have yet to see an in shape girl with it, now I'm going to start looking, haha. I am not hating, they need love too, lol. Just not from this guy.

Jason..
08-10-2009, 12:14 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10004296/

DJ Maestro
08-10-2009, 12:33 PM
A sexy girl in good shape? I dunno if they'd have that, maybe if they pushed a kid or two out and let themselves go during pregnancy.....But usually on the "bigger" girls. Cause I have yet to see an in shape girl with it, now I'm going to start looking, haha. I am not hating, they need love too, lol. Just not from this guy.

Maybe I'm off in my definition of FUPA then. I'm thinking more the sexy little mound formed in that area on a girl in good shape. Know what I mean?

ultm8mind
08-10-2009, 12:40 PM
The one that hides the lips?? I know all too well of that "love mound." LOL......

DJ Maestro
08-10-2009, 12:42 PM
The one that hides the lips?? I know all too well of that "love mound." LOL......

Yes! The "love mound"! That's what I like. :D

FUPA = FAIL :yes:

Lankhoss
08-10-2009, 01:28 PM

i cant spell for shit.

The difference between you and the rest of those idiots, is you actually learned something. Hell, in the last couple of posts I've read of yours, I've seen that you LEARNED to spell 2 new words. That, in itself, is quite an acomplishment.

What gets me, is I almost failed English in highschool, yet I can put together a post better than most of the people I talk with on ANY forum. It boggles one's mind.

Lankhoss
08-10-2009, 01:33 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10004296/

Holy shit, Webster's recognizes "irregardless" as a word now.

We're all doomed.

TheProfiteer
08-10-2009, 01:36 PM
The difference between you and the rest of those idiots, is you actually learned something. Hell, in the last couple of posts I've read of yours, I've seen that you LEARNED to spell 2 new words. That, in itself, is quite an acomplishment.

What gets me, is I almost failed English in highschool, yet I can put together a post better than most of the people I talk with on ANY forum. It boggles one's mind.

lol I was aceing english since middle school, even college english i was sleeping and still making A's on all my papers.

now that boggles the mind for sure.

ultm8mind
08-10-2009, 02:09 PM
lol I was aceing english since middle school, even college english i was sleeping and still making A's on all my papers.

now that boggles the mind for sure.
....aceing (not quite sure what that is, lol) or were you acing it? That is mind boggling, lol....

TheProfiteer
08-10-2009, 02:16 PM
....aceing (not quite sure what that is, lol) or were you acing it? That is mind boggling, lol....

see

im not lying when I say I cant spell worth a damn (and the IE at work doesnt have auto spell check)

you know I initially put Acing, but then thought to my self that doesnt look right, and added an e.

:no: :doh: :no: :doh: :doh:

this would of been ok if I had some form of mathematical skills, but hells nah, i forget math faster than I would forget and ugly girls name.

I still dont understand how I can score a 120 on an IQ test.

Lankhoss
08-10-2009, 02:18 PM
By the way, you misspelled "moderator" in your avatar.

ultm8mind
08-10-2009, 02:22 PM
Moderattor, haha, funny.....

TheProfiteer
08-10-2009, 02:28 PM
Moderattor, haha, funny.....

im not that fucking dumb

i did that on purpose, cause moderator is edited out in the sig.

im not really a mod, so yeah.

ultm8mind
08-10-2009, 02:54 PM
im not that fucking dumb

i did that on purpose, cause moderator is edited out in the sig.

im not really a mod, so yeah.
I heard that, or should I say I understand that!!

Buttons
08-10-2009, 03:55 PM
justin, "your dumb".

Jason..
08-10-2009, 04:03 PM
justin, "your dumb".
http://wulfgar.typepad.com/.a/6a00d83451d65569e2010536f60294970b-800wi

Buttons
08-10-2009, 04:09 PM
it was a joke, you idiot. i made one of the first posts about "your dumb"... also the same reason why there is quotation marks around the statement.

Jason..
08-10-2009, 04:11 PM
it was a joke, you idiot. i made one of the first posts about "your dumb"... also the same reason why there is quotation marks around the statement.Repost!!!!

Mr. Clean
08-10-2009, 04:15 PM
holy shit this thread blew up. i guess this is, indeed, a decent topic. despite the fact that the larger part on page 7 was about a FUPA lol.

the bottom line is that i see a lot of people on here who, i know for a fact, have no idea how to speak or type. it's just frustrating i guess. i'm certainly not trying to be a nazi about it. i just can't believe that most of these people have graduated high school, but yet still have no idea how to put a sentence together. we all make a mistake here and there. that's completely understandable. it's like someone previously said: there's a difference between casual and having no idea what you're doing at a keyboard. it's just embarassing at the lack of care that goes into communicating on here. billions and billions of your own dollars go into teaching everyone how to speak and write... why can't we just make it good practice to attempt to get some shit right here and there?

Dylan
08-10-2009, 04:15 PM
ur cumin off as an dooshbag justin u dont has to single me out cuz i cant spell too good.haha..i do understand completely with what you are saying.i typically type my comments as i would say them.and if that were the case for most of the people on here then wow..ignorance is an epidemic.

Mr. Clean
08-10-2009, 04:20 PM
i mean come on:

WTF ! (6 Viewing)
Post pictures of those Ricer out there that think the are hot shi* driving around in there Riced out vehicles!

:facepalm:

Dylan
08-10-2009, 04:24 PM
^^^ lol it aggravates the hell out of me everytime i see it!.no shit..im pretty OCD and a lot of things like that irritate me lol

Jason..
08-10-2009, 04:30 PM
^^^ lol it aggravates the hell out of me everytime i see it!.no shit..im pretty OCD and a lot of things like that irritate me lol
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ebonics

Dylan
08-10-2009, 04:33 PM

im not too sure if that is more funny or just messed up..but it did make me laugh like hell

BobbyFresco
08-10-2009, 04:37 PM

You're real clever...:rolleyes:

What's your excuse?
You're as White as they come and you're just as ignorant as your every day, run of the mill hoodrat, particularly when it comes to articulating yourself online...

Sadly, there are millions of people just like you..with the same skin tone and cultural background...infecting this world with continual stupidity, day in and day out...Instead of pointing your finger at others, you should pointing the finger at yourself and trying to work at that which you're not efficient, instead of saying " Well I'm just not that good at it anyway".

Dylan
08-10-2009, 04:39 PM

What's your excuse?
You're as White as they come and you're just as ignorant as your every day, run of the mill hoodrat, particularly when it comes to articulating yourself online...

Sadly, there are millions of people just like you..with the same skin tone and cultural background...infecting this world with continual stupidity, day in and day out...Instead of pointing your finger at others, you should pointing the finger at yourself and trying to work at that which you're not efficient, instead of saying " Well I'm just not that good at it anyway".

WORD

Jason..
08-10-2009, 04:41 PM

What's your excuse?

Sadly, there are millions of people just like you..with the same skin tone and cultural background...infecting this world with continual stupidity, day in and day out...Instead of pointing your finger at others, you should pointing the finger at yourself and trying to work at that which you're not efficient, instead of saying " Well I'm just not that good at it anyway".I post thing just to see you comment on them..thanks for amusing me all day!!!!You make me smile!!!

BobbyFresco
08-10-2009, 04:46 PM
I post thing just to see you comment on them..thanks for amusing me all day!!!!

One sentence. You had one shot and you blew it.
This is what I'm talking about..

Do you enjoy being stupid? The butt of jokes? You know...the person people whisper about in a crowd and you wonder if you're been talked about?

For fuck's sake. Pick up a fucking book...Expand that miniscule mind of yours.
Do something with yourself other than accepting the fact that you're a fucking dumbass and doing shit which is expected of morons. Try being a decently capable human being for once in your life...

Think you can handle that?

Jason..
08-10-2009, 04:50 PM
One sentence. You had one shot and you blew it.
This is what I'm talking about..

Do you enjoy being stupid? The butt of jokes? You know...the person people whisper about in a crowd and you wonder if you're been talked about?

For fuck's sake. Pick up a fucking book...Expand that miniscule mind of yours.
Do something with yourself other than accepting the fact that you're a fucking dumbass and doing shit which is expected of morons. Try being a decently capable human being for once in your life...

Think you can handle that?No it sounds difficult not something I want to try...I mean your are 30 years old and all I mean id expect u to be smarter than me.
http://www.dwmg.com/images/forty_year_old_virgin_big.jpg
Or not IDK

BobbyFresco
08-10-2009, 04:52 PM
No it sounds difficult noy something I want to try...I mean your are 30 years old and all I mean id expect u to be smarter than me.
http://www.dwmg.com/images/forty_year_old_virgin_big.jpg
Or not IDK

Awesome picture posting skills there, genius.:rolleyes:

You're so full of remedial it hurts.

Fine. If you're ok with being stupid , I'm ok with you being stupid.:goodjob:

Jason..
08-10-2009, 04:54 PM

You're so full of remedial, it hurts.

Fine. If you're ok with being stupid , I'm ok with you being stupid.:goodjob:WTF does that mean?

Jason..
08-10-2009, 04:55 PM

You're so full of remedial, it hurts.

Fine. If you're ok with being stupid , I'm ok with you being stupid.:goodjob:Look Bobby Valentine you will never hurt my fellings as hard as u may try..I mean come on its just the internet...

BobbyFresco
08-10-2009, 05:00 PM
I mean come on its just the internet...

That and you have fully accepted that you're an idiot?
Exactly.
Enjoy the rest of your life, content with your stupidity.

Jason..
08-10-2009, 05:03 PM
That and you have fully accepted that you're an idiot?
Exactly.
Enjoy the rest of your life, content with your stupidity.:blah: ..

BKgen®
08-10-2009, 05:04 PM
Bobby's posts bring teh lulz.

BobbyFresco
08-10-2009, 05:08 PM
:blah: ..

I really hope that, if and when you decide to reproduce with another human being, that it is with someone who is exponentially smarter than you.

It's the only way that child will ever have a chance.

Just sayin'

Echonova
08-10-2009, 05:12 PM
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x249/Echonova1/28146765yp6.jpg

Mr. Clean
08-10-2009, 06:17 PM
Lololol. The self-pwnage in this thread is overwhelming. I'm glad I bumped it.

OG-Skinny
08-10-2009, 06:31 PM
I agree with OP.. I mean, Jesus, Mozilla has a built in spell checker!

BKgen®
08-10-2009, 06:39 PM
I agree with OP.. I mean, Jesus, Mozilla has a built in spell checker!

...but no built in grammar checker :D

Echonova
08-10-2009, 07:07 PM
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x249/Echonova1/elian_writes_fidel.jpg

Magnus213
08-10-2009, 07:57 PM
Step 1: open thread
Step 2: browse first few posts, form an opinion and plan to reply
Step 3: notice that thread with mundane topic has extended to a silly number of pages
Step 4: click straight to the final page to see that ethugging has ensued, as suspected
Step 5: realize that your reply will no longer contribute anything to the thread
Step 6: (optional) write a post like this.