PDA

View Full Version : Backup Plans?

AlanŽ
11-30-2008, 06:04 PM
Kind of a spin off of tony's thread. But if your original plan for life seems like it's not going to work out what are ya'lls back up plans or other dreams/aspirations.

Mine is to basically go back to school. But I'll go to UTi or something and learn my passion.Won't be nearly the same amount of money as my original plan ut it would have its potential.

redrumracer
11-30-2008, 07:20 PM
well if being a pilot doesnt work out i can fall back on my mechanics degree.

Firefightin_tC
11-30-2008, 07:23 PM
Join the Navy.

tony
11-30-2008, 07:28 PM
I got about 3 or 4 of them. An all else fails plan I haven't really put together but I'm sure it will include Graduate School.

Chances are slim on Pilot school but I'm still working hard at it. I already know if that doesn't work out I'll apply for a Navigator position or Intelligence, if those don't work out I'll assess my situation and my options in the Air Force then move on from there.

XLR8NMR2
11-30-2008, 07:35 PM
If every plan i have fails i will move to British Columbia and grow my own weed and distribute it throughout the states.

Billon dollar industry!

Tech5
11-30-2008, 07:37 PM
:lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao:
If every plan i have fails i will move to British Columbia and grow my own weed and distribute it throughout the states.

Billon dollar industry!

silversol
11-30-2008, 07:37 PM
bank robbery!

Elbow
11-30-2008, 07:39 PM
If I don't race cars pro I hope to do telemetry type stuff for a racing team, something like that. I was in school for mechanical engineering took a year off am going back, have considered journalism as well though so at least I could do automotive stuff and still drive.

silversol
11-30-2008, 07:39 PM

Billon dollar industry!
thought about that to. to much time to many people to deal with!

EJ25RUN
11-30-2008, 07:40 PM
I'll open a dealership for rare and historic street or race cars and motorbikes.

silversol
11-30-2008, 07:41 PM
I'll open a dealership for rare and historic street or race cars and motorbikes.
do you honestly think there is a market for that in todays economy?

Elbow
11-30-2008, 07:42 PM
^Actually YES there is lol....rich people are still rich. Racing will always happen, plus with some people selling nice race cars right now cheap, perfect time to snatch them up ;)

AlanŽ
11-30-2008, 07:43 PM
^Actually YES there is lol....rich people are still rich. Racing will always happen, plus with some people selling nice race cars right now cheap, perfect time to snatch them up ;)
took the words right out of my mouth

ironchef
11-30-2008, 07:46 PM
Try to become a FBI Agent lol.

NAIZBST
11-30-2008, 08:15 PM
I will either go back in the military to become a warrant officer or CID

TIGERJC
11-30-2008, 08:16 PM

Billon dollar industry!
signs up to do the distribution :D

EJ25RUN
11-30-2008, 08:18 PM
do you honestly think there is a market for that in todays economy?

Of course there is. There is a big difference in the clientele im after vs the masses. Look at motorbikes for instance. Ones like the Honda RC30. Very few were ever made and even fewer are in the USA. This is more of a collection to help people that want them find a place to buy them.

This website is a perfect example but they operate out of Europe. Why not start one in the USA?

http://www.classic-motorbikes.com/overview.asp?Type=1&Lang=en

btw, this is something that popped into my head as i have the knowledge of race cars and motorbikes to have a chance at being successful. This is actually not the career im currently in school for.

Sammich
11-30-2008, 08:20 PM
UTI is waaaaaaaaaay expensive..part of the reason i didnt go there, but yea UTI is definitely a place i'd wana go to

RandomGuy
11-30-2008, 08:29 PM

Billon dollar industry!
the funny thing is that most b-ster around here isn't even grown in BC

LAWL

quickdodgeŽ
11-30-2008, 08:33 PM
I'm already rich so I need no back-up plan. Later, QD.

EJ25RUN
11-30-2008, 08:35 PM
I'm already rich so I need no back-up plan. Later, QD.

Reps doesn't count as real money QD. lol

silversol
11-30-2008, 08:37 PM
Of course there is. There is a big difference in the clientele im after vs the masses. Look at motorbikes for instance. Ones like the Honda RC30. Very few were ever made and even fewer are in the USA. This is more of a collection to help people that want them find a place to buy them.

This website is a perfect example but they operate out of Europe. Why not start one in the USA?

http://www.classic-motorbikes.com/overview.asp?Type=1&Lang=en

btw, this is something that popped into my head as i have the knowledge of race cars and motorbikes to have a chance at being successful. This is actually not the career im currently in school for.
and you going to get ahold of these how? it takes money to make money. think of how much over head you will have! you have to pay top $$$$$$ for that kind of stuff to what resell it for a small profit? way to much money on the table for two small a profit

quickdodgeŽ
11-30-2008, 08:38 PM
Reps doesn't count as real money QD. lol

I'm talking money, homes, lolol. Real. Later, QD.

Kasper
11-30-2008, 08:40 PM
Im about to go ahead with my back up plan. Im going to reenlist. Im gonna go back into the airforce and get my medical, if not something else. Ive about had it with the way things are going, and its getting me no where fast sooooo.. thats my option and im about to take it!

EJ25RUN
11-30-2008, 08:56 PM
and you going to get ahold of these how? it takes money to make money. think of how much over head you will have! you have to pay top $$$$$$ for that kind of stuff to what resell it for a small profit? way to much money on the table for two small a profit

Auction companies have been doing it for years. I realize i wont be able to get expensive machines from the get go but a business starts small and grows from there. You make it seem like it is impossible when it is currently being done.

Ruiner
11-30-2008, 09:09 PM
Kind of a spin off of tony's thread. But if your original plan for life seems like it's not going to work out what are ya'lls back up plans or other dreams/aspirations.

Mine is to basically go back to school. But I'll go to UTi or something and learn my passion.Won't be nearly the same amount of money as my original plan ut it would have its potential.

First, I would think that you should analyze WHY, exactly, your hopes and dreams failed. They might give you a clue as to if your backup plan is successful. If you fail at your original plan (unless it is for some circumstances beyond your control), I wouldn't think that a backup plan would succeed, either.

As for me, I never failed, but I did make career path changes. I started out college going for a genetics degree with aspirations of going to med school. That was my plan and I was sticking with it. With three classes left, I decided to not be a doctor even though I had the grades and scores in order to get into med school. The medical field just isn't what it used to be anymore and I wasn't going to subject a LIFE to that much red tape and bureaucracy.

I also took the LSAT (law school entrance test) just to explore other avenues and scored well enough to get into law school if I wanted (my brother and father are lawyers). However, after talking to them, they didn't really recommend it (and also by seeing what they do in a day to day basis, I knew that it wouldn't hold my interest).

I decided to switch majors, lose 45hrs of college classes, and get an MIS degree in business. This was 9 years ago...and I couldn't be happier. I make about as much as a doctor (not a surgeon, but a normal doctor) or lawyer. I can't complain and I actually ENJOY my work.

IndianStig
12-01-2008, 10:41 AM
Goal: Open up my own liquor store or bar&club by 40 or Hotel.

Backup plan: Buy a dry cleaners, liquor store, gas station, daycare, be a teacher or work at Coke my whole life.

AirMax95
12-01-2008, 11:00 AM
I agree with Ruiner, you can have a ton of backup plans, but failure is up to you.

Keeping with the OP's topic though, my backup is continuing education. As long as you are in the "know" about things, there is always opportunity for success. After I get my MIS, I am going to get every certification that I can attain, all the time. No one will ever tell me I can't get the job done. In the meanwhile, I will continue to invest and make a safe cushion for myself should tradegy strike.

THEN, once I start my own business, my backup will be education, lol.

I think I confused myself????