PDA

View Full Version : replacing valve springs

rmeyer114
11-30-2008, 02:55 PM
im lookin for information as far as changing valve springs on my 240 with the ka24e motor can i change the 2 that are messed up or would i have to change out the whole thing ive never done anything as engine internal work so any help would be much obliged thanks :goodjob:

rmeyer114
11-30-2008, 02:56 PM
if any1 needs any pictures ive taken some pictures so just let me know and ill upload them

Juggernaut
11-30-2008, 04:47 PM
Ka's are over-rated, you should go RB.

Juggernaut
11-30-2008, 04:49 PM
Yes, you could just change out the two. However, since you're in there you might as well do them all. Look up the torque specs and follow them, you'll be fine.

rmeyer114
11-30-2008, 05:07 PM
well rather short on cash ......how would i go about on changing just the 2 valve springs? never done internal motor work so this is hard for me to grasp the concept so far

Init2winit
11-30-2008, 08:12 PM
If you've never done it, I suggest getting someone to help you that has. You'll have a bad day if you drop the valves into the cylinder.

rmeyer114
11-30-2008, 09:11 PM
Ill be having some1 thats done it before help me but for the most part i wanna atleast know a little about what im doing before going into this which is why im asking on the forum lol

2.25teg
11-30-2008, 09:46 PM
Fairly simple job just pay attention to what you take off changing springs pretty easy compress em pull c clip out reverse just make sure you got some that will work an its best to replace them all at The same time

Barefoot
12-01-2008, 06:49 AM
If you've never done it, I suggest getting someone to help you that has. You'll have a bad day if you drop the valves into the cylinder.qft
Fairly simple job just pay attention to what you take off changing springs pretty easy compress em pull c clip out reverse just make sure you got some that will work an its best to replace them all at The same timefrom the way it sound they are doing it on the car. so its a lil more complicated that than.

rmeyer114
12-01-2008, 02:01 PM
yeah ill be doing it on the car itself but im pretty mechanicly inclined as far as not screwing things up so any more advice?

Init2winit
12-01-2008, 04:12 PM
What damaged the springs in the first place?

rmeyer114
12-03-2008, 07:54 PM
honestly man i have no idea i was on my way home from work the other day and it just kind of happend ive only gotten on this car once in the last 3 weeks ive had it so it wouldnt be due to my own mis care but idk 265,000 miles could be a reason ?

redrumracer
12-03-2008, 07:59 PM
one of the things i recommend so as to not drop a valve into the cylinder is to remove the spark plug, then instead of using the compressed air to keep the valve up get a long string/cord/thin rope and stuff it down in the cylinder and then rotate the crankshaft by hand until the rope holds up the valve.

i prefer that method of doing it cause what if something happens to your air pressure

blumagic04
12-03-2008, 08:07 PM
damn that's a lot of miles, there is really a lot that you should do while changing out those springs
first you should change all of the springs. then change that valve cover gasket, plugs too if you have not done that... so on and so on..........

is it 250000 miles on that one engine??? also there might be more shit wrong in that engine then you think...

rmeyer114
12-03-2008, 08:14 PM
yeah its original motor what i was gonna do instead of just repairing them is to just order a whole new cylinder head for it and rebuild the top half of the motor instead of band aiding what i got ...and yeah its been a can of worms since ive gotten it 3 weeks ago needless to say i traded my truck for a serious project but i dont mind my license is suspended for the next year anyways so im only driving the car to and from work so as long as it can make that minimal commute it'll be okay till i can get the time to get in there and fix it i should be ordering the new head next week or so

Barefoot
12-03-2008, 09:19 PM
i prefer that method of doing it cause what if something happens to your air pressureget a good compressor and problem solved.

redrumracer
12-03-2008, 09:21 PM
get a good compressor and problem solved.
lol yea but for some reason it ALWAYS seems that shit wants to break at the worse time possible lol.

Barefoot
12-04-2008, 08:41 AM
lol yea but for some reason it ALWAYS seems that shit wants to break at the worse time possible lol.tru