PDA

View Full Version : Odd legality question about my old car.

IOnlyLookStock
11-30-2008, 05:21 AM
Slight background first...

So I sold my old 86 Nissan Pickup truck back in early August for a decent price... But I miss her every day...

Well I get a letter in the mail today and it says they have my truck impounded in Orlando, Florida. Seems The guy I sold it to has been driving with my tag still on it because I forgot to remove it after the sale, and plus he has had no insurance on it either.

The Impound lot says I can get it back for a not so bad price if I come down and pick it up, or they will be forced to auction it off in about 1 week.

So obviously it is still in my name, and I am the only one who can pick it up legally. So my question is, Can I go pick it up from them and legally own it again?

I sold it, and have a bill of sale from August and I signed the back of the title under seller, But obviously he never titled it in his name, and it will be auctioned off in a week if I do not pick it up.

It is def. worth the money to drive down, pick it up, and have it back just FYI... But will I get in any legal trouble?

nsany(atl)
11-30-2008, 06:51 AM
they will make you show proof of ownership. just go to DMV and get a lost title, $18, then go get the car. F-him for putting you at risk since the car is still in your name.

Scotsman
11-30-2008, 07:25 AM
go get your shit back

Halfwit
11-30-2008, 07:40 AM
free truck homieeeeee

Elbow
11-30-2008, 07:44 AM
They did this with my old car too, it was impounded got a letter.

silversol
11-30-2008, 10:06 AM
go get a replacement title same day at hapeville drive down an go get it. but if it got inpounded are you sure its still running?

IOnlyLookStock
11-30-2008, 11:22 AM
They say it is running fine and it is not wrecked. So I can get a replacement title at hapeville all in one day?

redrumracer
11-30-2008, 11:24 AM
go get it

nsany(atl)
11-30-2008, 08:43 PM
They say it is running fine and it is not wrecked. So I can get a replacement title at hapeville all in one day?

yes. there is a lost title form on the DMV website

Mr. Clean
11-30-2008, 08:48 PM
hellz yes sir. you just got lucky as fuck lol. i've never heard of this before, but i'm sure this could be used as a handy loophole :ninja:

blaknoize
11-30-2008, 09:31 PM
It happened to me once before, but the dude actually damaged my car. So I didnt want it. But go pick it up, its easy

IOnlyLookStock
12-01-2008, 12:56 PM
So does anyone have a car trailor that I can rent from them?? Lol..

IndianStig
12-01-2008, 02:08 PM
they will make you show a title that you own the car so you cannot legally get the truck. i wouldn't do it regardless, just poor ethics

FasTech
12-01-2008, 03:46 PM
Screw not doing it. If he was such a dumbass to do all that, then screw him too.

Go get your truck!

LIKEG6
12-01-2008, 04:17 PM
Same shit happened to me with my first EF but I just said fuck it cause he had already fucked it up

But I say go get that bitch and he missed out

RutRoe
12-01-2008, 11:18 PM
Before you do anything, I'd find out what they want for it...if they want 600 bucks, then you have to weigh wether it's worth it.

And I doubt the guy took any sort of good care of it if he never registered it or anything... just my 2 pennies. Good luck

Oh, but I think you might have to have insurance on it again to get a new title... I could be wrong, but I think that might be correct.

IOnlyLookStock
12-04-2008, 12:07 PM
Update:

Well It turns out the motor threw a rod and the guy abandoned it at a gas station, and so it got towed. I can still put a cheap motor in it and resale it and make a good profit...

Or... I could sr20 swap it and have a cool old Nissan hard body. Comments? Suggestions?

The body is in pretty good shape so it would be totally worth swapping because there would be not much restoration needed.