PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket lugnuts Damaging Wheel studs?

Bruce Leroy
11-27-2008, 11:00 AM
Anyone ever experienced this? Which brand did you have?

A month ago, I got some "tuner" lugs for my civic from Discount Tire. I installed them like i always do, antisieze on the studs, hand tightned and torqued to 80 lbs. I took one wheel off today to clean it, and I noticed that there was alot of white corrosion on the stud, but didn't really think anything of it. I put the wheel back on and As i'm torquing them, I noticed that one stud is not getting tighter, so i try to pull the wheel back off to see what the problem is. 2 nuts come off ok, one stud snapped, and the other stud spins in the hole like it stripped the hub.

So now I have 2 damaged studs, and i think the lugnuts are the cause. Maybe they are made of a different metal that caused the corrosion on the studs? And I'm afraid to take the other wheels off because i think they might break too.

SixSquared
11-27-2008, 11:04 AM
I had tuner lugs from Pep Boys and one of my lug stud snapped off.

Then again that may have been because I have a welded diff lulz.

But I don't think the lugs nuts are the problem. Lug studs get old and strip/break all the time.

Kaiser
11-27-2008, 04:20 PM
The Anti seize probably didn't help, it tends to make your torque readings wrong. Typically there's not a lot of metal on metal interaction between studs and lugs, but it is possible depending on the composition of your wheels, studs and nuts. Depending on what kind of car you have though, some of your problems might be from old studs. Hondas are well known for having issues with non-oem lugnuts coming loose unless over-torqued. The over-torquing on the honda studs then causes them to distort their shape (They get longer and the threads lean over towards the outside) which eventually causes them to either stress-fracture and snap or seize up because the threads aren't straight and even.