PDA

View Full Version : Brake booster leak?

Mr. Clean
11-26-2008, 10:41 AM
i have some leakage coming down the booster where the master cylinder bolts to the booster in the engine bay... is there a gasket there and does it go bad often? the bolt was a little loose so i gave it about a 1/4 turn to snug it up but i guess it's been doing this for a while cause when i wiped it, it took the black coating off the booster...

anyway. basic question is:

is there a gasket there and should i be concerned that it went out?

Tech5
11-26-2008, 10:44 AM
leakage like air? if the paint came off that due to the mastercylinder leaking an needs to be replaced

The BUCKY
11-26-2008, 10:45 AM
yea run out of fluid no brakes!!

Mr. Clean
11-26-2008, 10:46 AM
leakage like air? if the paint came off that due to the mastercylinder leaking an needs to be replaced

leakage like fluid down the booster and ate the paint. and it's not a super significant amt of fluid, i mean i haven't topped it off in a good 5 months and i had to put maybe 2-3 cap fulls in there to fill it to max. and i have not noticed a difference in brake performance since i got it.

Tech5
11-26-2008, 10:50 AM
Replace the mastercylinder!

Mr. Clean
11-26-2008, 10:58 AM
that's bullshit! lol. i don't want to! :cry:

just in case i'm not making myself clear, it's right here where it bolts to the booster. my guess is that it's been leaking for a good 4-5 months

oh and i have to go to work now so i will see anymore replys later today. thanks for the help already, josh. and thanks in advance for anymore help

Tech5
11-26-2008, 11:00 AM
Replace the Master cylinder!!!

Mr. Clean
11-26-2008, 12:03 PM
son of a bitch. so i can replace just the master cylinder or do i need to get booster and cylinder all as an assembly?

Tech5
11-26-2008, 12:05 PM
No you can replace just the master cylinder very easy to do also!

JITB
11-26-2008, 01:05 PM
dont know if the del sol has a hydro clutch, but might want to do the slave cylinder also... or you will be replacing that soon also! if its cable than.. disregard!

Mr. Clean
11-26-2008, 02:31 PM
dont know if the del sol has a hydro clutch, but might want to do the slave cylinder also... or you will be replacing that soon also! if its cable than.. disregard!

yeah it is hydro, but i don't have any problems getting it in or out of gears. why would i have issues with the slave? something to do with pressure?

yeah and just replacing the master cylinder is OKAY i guess... not great news but better than trying to get tha fucking booster off.

how much does a master cylinder run these days?

Tech5
11-26-2008, 07:51 PM
about 45 bucks Mrclean, and the guy talking about hydro clutch he is a dumbazz that didnt read that your having brake problems NOT clutch issue!

Barefoot
11-26-2008, 08:11 PM
lol replace the master

JITB
11-26-2008, 08:58 PM
about 45 bucks Mrclean, and the guy talking about hydro clutch he is a dumbazz that didnt read that your having brake problems NOT clutch issue!

im the dumbass huh? and ur the honda technician aren't u. than u of all ppl in here should know what I was saying. its only common sense to replace those 2 parts at the same time. especially when they work together. and usually go out one after another, especially when atleast 80% of the time u press the brake u hit the clutch pedal aswell. I mean slave cylinders are at most 20 bucks. I've replaced my master only to be back under there with slave cylinder in a few months. just a suggestion on preventive maintenance. as usual you like to run your fingers rampid on the keyboard. mr. clean if u got the cash get the slave cylinder also and go ahead and knock them both out.

Tech5
11-26-2008, 09:06 PM
I see what your getting at, but he isnt having a issue with the clutch, just the brakes

DB4LYFE ™
11-26-2008, 10:37 PM
yea ull be fine after u replace the M.C.! when u push in on the brake does it sometimes slowly ease to the floor? thats a common sign of a bad or leaking master cylinder.... mine went out in the foe doe before and i had NO brakes. lol good luck justin!

~DB4LYFE

SandM
11-27-2008, 11:32 AM
now i agree that if you are having problems with eating paint of the booster then you do need to replace the master, but a very small amount of brake fluid leakage at the master is actually normal. but i do mean a very small amount.

Tech5
11-27-2008, 05:56 PM
any fluid loss isnt normal that means something is worn out
now i agree that if you are having problems with eating paint of the booster then you do need to replace the master, but a very small amount of brake fluid leakage at the master is actually normal. but i do mean a very small amount.

Tensa_Zanget
11-30-2008, 09:58 PM
like wat tech5 said. Try replacing your master cylinder. they are easy and pretty cheap tp replace.

NAIZBST
11-30-2008, 10:02 PM
Replace the mastercylinder!

:werd:

Tree
11-30-2008, 10:13 PM
whatever you do DO NOT BUY A INTGERA brake boost unless you have the cliynder and lines for it!! but g/l

SandM
12-01-2008, 06:13 PM
any fluid loss isnt normal that means something is worn out
that's usually what i say, but not according to ASE standards :no: