PDA

View Full Version : Got a ticket for running a stop sign which i didnt do.

G.C
11-25-2008, 02:22 AM
This happened 2 hours ago(1a.m). I know i made a complete stop before I pulled out to the street. My gf can even prove that, she was sitting right next to me. But the cop was telling a whole another story bout i ran the stop sign without slowing down. I tried to tell him that i DID come to a complete stop before i went out, but he doesn't want to listen and gives me a bigger attitude and tells me to stop lieng. So i gave up and just signed the dam ticket before its gets heated up.

There were 0 cars on the street btw. Didn't even see the cop, guess he was hiding somewhere. This also happened on Singelton (Gwinnett county).

What should i do? I am thinking bout going to court and testify, but that means i'm going to have to take more than a day off work...Would it be worth it to just pay the ticket and let it go? Will this effect my insurance/points taken off??

This has nothing to do with this, but i got pulled over 5 min after that on jimmy carter. The officer's reason why he pulled me over: Its late at night and he thought i was drinking and driving.When i was driving at speed limit driving carefully cause i just got a dam ticket. He let me go of course at the end after breathalyzer .

SicStang03
11-25-2008, 02:42 AM
I'm sick of cops and there power tripping, traffic ticket giving, penis up the butt taking, ball sack on there chin asses!!!

With that said, it is your word against his and sadly you will probably still have to pay. There are no points for that ticket and the fine will be pretty small.... I think. I would just pay it and be done

GSRtegŪ
11-25-2008, 03:45 AM
This has nothing to do with this, but i got pulled over 5 min after that on jimmy carter. The officer's reason why he pulled me over: Its late at night and he thought i was drinking and driving.When i was driving at speed limit driving carefully cause i just got a dam ticket. He let me go of course at the end after breathalyzer .

Man the second stop has no probable cause to stop you at all... just because it was night and he thought you were drinking and driving? :crazy: I would have got his badge number and reported him ASAP.

Its like the case of Delaware vs Prouse almost

here is a few lines from it

"I saw the car [440 U.S. 648, 651] in the area and wasn't answering any complaints, so I decided to pull them off." App. A9. The trial court granted the motion to suppress, finding the stop and detention to have been wholly capricious and therefore violative of the Fourth Amendment.

dtmcnamara
11-25-2008, 05:32 AM
fight it.

a running stop sign ticket is 3 points on your license. it will raise your insurance significantly. trust me, i found out the hard way. I figured a "rolling stop" at a stop sign would be like a point at the most. paid the ticket and then applied for a job, they said I had 4 points on my license, 3 for a failure to stop at a stop sign, and 1 for a speeding ticket and they couldnt hire me...

I was so pissed. I mean I did "technically" run the stop sign, but it was more of a rolling stop/yield. I would have never guess it would have been 3 points.

SicStang03
11-25-2008, 06:45 AM
wow... didnt know that

DieselNuts
11-25-2008, 07:02 AM
I actually got a "failure to stop" ticket last week. It is a moving violation so I assumed there would be points involved. I came as close as you can possibly come to stopping without actually doing it, but the assclown got me anyway. He said the ticket would be about $120 (Dekalb), and then the mufuka proceeds to shoot the shit with me about mustangs and how he has an 07 and is looking to start modifing it...SUCK MY DICK ASSHOLE!

Ed
11-25-2008, 07:21 AM
Your word against his, and you will more than likely lose.

That's just how the system is. It sucks.

And it's a moving violation, so 3 points and it does go on your insurance for 3 years.

4dmin
11-25-2008, 07:49 AM
dude lots of cops are assholes... ive found that the younger ones are the worse. older cops a lot of times have heard/seen it all - they don't care just doing the job.

but one sunday night around 1 am coming off of Ronald Regan pkwy making a left on to 5 forks i ran a red light (not bad but it turned red as i was going through it). it was raining and there was not a car in sight. so about 1/4 mile back i see these blue lights turn on. i think should i get on it and leave him b/c w/ my distance i could dart into a neighborhood and he would never know b/c it was dark/rainy... but the adult in me says just slow down and pull over when he gets closer.

so cop is all over my ass now and i pull into a neighborhood... he pulls up next to me, not behind me but next to me and puts down his passenger window... "do you know you ran a read light? do you know how dangerous that is? how old are you?" this went on for about two mins through his window and i turned to him and said i'm 28; i guess he thought i was some punk kid funny thing is he looked to be about my age or younger :rolleyes: . he then proceeds to tell me "IF I DIDN'T HAVE A DOMESTIC DISPUTE TO GET TO I WOULD WRITE YOU A TICKET"

:eek: DOMESTIC DISPUTE WTF... so while he is trying to tell me how to drive through his passenger window some chic is getting her ass beat up

DieselNuts
11-25-2008, 07:54 AM
dude lots of cops are assholes... ive found that the younger ones are the worse. older cops a lot of times have heard/seen it all - they don't care just doing the job.

but one sunday night around 1 am coming off of Ronald Regan pkwy making a left on to 5 forks i ran a red light (not bad but it turned red as i was going through it). it was raining and there was not a car in sight. so about 1/4 mile back i see these blue lights turn on. i think should i get on it and leave him b/c w/ my distance i could dart into a neighborhood and he would never know b/c it was dark/rainy... but the adult in me says just slow down and pull over when he gets closer.

so cop is all over my ass now and i pull into a neighborhood... he pulls up next to me, not behind me but next to me and puts down his passenger window... "do you know you ran a read light? do you know how dangerous that is? how old are you?" this went on for about two mins through his window and i turned to him and said i'm 28; i guess he thought i was some punk kid funny thing is he looked to be about my age or younger :rolleyes: . he then proceeds to tell me "IF I DIDN'T HAVE A DOMESTIC DISPUTE TO GET TO I WOULD WRITE YOU A TICKET"

:eek: DOMESTIC DISPUTE WTF... so while he is trying to tell me how to drive through his passenger window some chic is getting her ass beat up
wow...sounds about right though. Cool cops are VERY few and far between...

ksniperfox
11-25-2008, 08:07 AM
wow...sounds about right though. Cool cops are VERY few and far between...

depends which end of the spectrum youre looking from.

i talk to cops all night at the QT i work at(graveyard shift). pretty cool guys really. and they hassle any bums or drunks hangin around the store. and for the most part(being 99% of time), everyone they hassle is drunk or doing something illegal.

i got pulled over 3 weeks after i got the s2k doin 63 in a 45. just left the tag office. answered everything "yes sir, no sir, on my way home sir, i was going too fast sir" and he said just slow it down and have a nice day. no attitude.

only 1 bad experience i can recall, and ive been pulled over 10-15 times. i was 19 and i got the breathalyzer and i hadnt had a beer in days. 1030 at night, no abnormal driving or speeding, he just felt like pulling me over. he even called for backup. 45 minutes later im finally on my way, no ticket in hand. my dad(a cop) was pissed and said i shoulda gotten the guys name.

on topic, i read you said your GF can prove you stopped. what is your proof? word is not proof. video camera or something? basically your word vs his. as much as i hate innocent people getting busted for something they didnt do, it would probably be more cost and time effective to just pay it...and its a little hard to believe he pulled you over unless you didnt come to a 100% complete halt. dont see why he would lie. but good luck with that.

BobbyFresco
11-25-2008, 08:08 AM
Fight it.
He's not expecting you to fight it.
You don't need the points on your record.
Don't take the "it's your word versus his" shit laying down.
You have a witness, your gf.
Innocent until proven guilty so the burden of proof is on the cop.

DieselNuts
11-25-2008, 08:46 AM
depends which end of the spectrum youre looking from.

i talk to cops all night at the QT i work at(graveyard shift). pretty cool guys really. and they hassle any bums or drunks hangin around the store. and for the most part(being 99% of time), everyone they hassle is drunk or doing something illegal.

i got pulled over 3 weeks after i got the s2k doin 63 in a 45. just left the tag office. answered everything "yes sir, no sir, on my way home sir, i was going too fast sir" and he said just slow it down and have a nice day. no attitude.

only 1 bad experience i can recall, and ive been pulled over 10-15 times. i was 19 and i got the breathalyzer and i hadnt had a beer in days. 1030 at night, no abnormal driving or speeding, he just felt like pulling me over. he even called for backup. 45 minutes later im finally on my way, no ticket in hand. my dad(a cop) was pissed and said i shoulda gotten the guys name.
I understand what you are saying, but I always treat cops with the utmost respect when face to face & I have only been given a warning once. Every other time it was a ticket. Even when I have delt with cops when I am not the one in the wrong, they still act like complete dicks.

A friend of mine dated a cop and I met him when he was off duty, then ran into him while he was on duty. Completely different person when on/off the clock.

My cousin is a cop also. I actually went on a ride along with him a few months back. He is the kind of cop that will only pull you over for speeding if its obvious that you are doing at least 20mph over or have something wrong with your car. He said he wont give out a speeding ticket unless it qualifies as wreckless driving. He doesnt like doing the typical traffic bullshit, he looks for drugs & violence for the most part. Those are the kind of cops I like.

Ed
11-25-2008, 08:55 AM
judge is gonna laugh at the "your girlfriend as a witness"

Catnip
11-25-2008, 11:06 AM
My gf can even prove that, she was sitting right next to me.

:lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: ...was that a serious statement? Please tell me she had a camcorder or something if you are being serious.

G.C
11-25-2008, 11:33 AM

Yeah this dude was my age or looked like it. in his 20s. He even told me to grab my steering wheel and turn off the engine. Acting like i committed a murder or something.

redrumracer
11-25-2008, 11:38 AM
if you have a witness that says you stopped then go to court.

J13eck
11-25-2008, 12:46 PM
gl

.blank cd
11-25-2008, 03:58 PM
he pulls up next to me, not behind me but next to me and puts down his passenger window... "do you know you ran a red light? do you know how dangerous that is?" Is it as dangerous as sitting on the wrong side of the street?

.blank cd
11-25-2008, 03:59 PM
Yeah this dude was my age or looked like it. in his 20s. He even told me to grab my steering wheel and turn off the engine. Acting like i committed a murder or something.He didnt want you speeding off just incase you did. he didnt know that. Always turn your car off when you get stopped

4dmin
11-25-2008, 04:07 PM
Is it as dangerous as sitting on the wrong side of the street?

lol i wondered the same thing b/c we were probably 10 ft into the neighborhood... so anyone speeding making fast right turn would of probably ran into one of us.

.blank cd
11-25-2008, 04:10 PM
If you woulda told him that, you'd be my hero

87 Turbo II
11-26-2008, 02:05 AM
I have heard horror stories about the SPSU campus police giving stop sign tickets to kids for "not stopping long enough". Apparently, campus police officers are fresh out of law school, so they are 100% by the book. And the book says the car must come to a complete stop and wait for a period of 2 seconds. So when I see a cop sitting at a stop light, I make a joke out of it. I stop, smile and wave to the cop, yawn and stretch, pull down my visor and move my bangs around a bit with my fingers, then go after this 6 or 7 second stop.

DirtyMechanic
11-26-2008, 02:58 AM
^ next time wait till someone beeps the horn at you.

qwick
11-26-2008, 04:15 AM
He didnt want you speeding off just incase you did. he didnt know that. Always turn your car off when you get stopped

I have been pulled over a total of 6 time and have only been asked to turn the car off once.Problem is i have a turbo timer and didnt think anything of it when the cop asked me to turn the car off and get out.He looked at me kinda strange when I got out with the keys in my hand and the car still running,but he wasnt an ass or anything about it he just asked what the deal was.

Julio
11-26-2008, 05:02 PM
Fight it. I would.. If I know for a fact that " I STOPED " I would fight it.

The ticket is not to expensive, but the points could possibly cost you more in the future.

Make sure, if you do fight it, You let the judge know.. I have the money to pay it, BUt you feel as if in the system is screwing you..

I got a following to closely.. But I really wasnt, I know I hit the person in front of me.. But I had no choice.. And it was raining.. If I went to my left was more then likely going to over the median and to the right I had more vehicles.. The officer even wrote on the ticket it was raining..

Anyways, I was talking to forsyth county cop ( thats where I got my ticket) about my fine and how come I was calling the court to find out how much it was, the cop ask me, if I had my citation with me, I did, showed it to him and he called and told me it was 80 bucks.. but He also told me, That I should go to court and face the judge.. and I was like, naw is only 80 bucks , no biggie.. then he said, I bet it will get drop, you were following to closely and the office wrote on the ticket that it was raining.. So explain to the cop what happened that day.. and he was like, just fight it, because thats a silly ticket.. Me, I was like WTF..

So I went ahead, faced the judge, explain what happened..... and he dropped it to $23 bucks.. lol

I was like.. I saved 60..

So you never know..