PDA

View Full Version : What Oil is the best?

LS2ner
11-25-2008, 12:08 AM
First, If this is a repost i dont care..

Anyways, I see commercials all the time about how this oil is used by NASCAR drivers and how this one is used by NHRA drivers etc. My question is, in your opinion, what's the best oil? Support your answer if you want!

Homer Simpson
11-25-2008, 12:12 AM
um, i use mobil1 full synt.

Something about it sticking to metal better helping eliminate dry starts which is #1 cause of wear.

i believe thats why GM recommends Mobil1 for their corvettes because national average on mileage driven on a C5 was 6000miles a year? Sooo, they would rather let the oil stick to the matel internals than it fall into the oil pan when the car is sitting in the old man's garage for weeks. Heard about it from my GM tech from school.

try this trick:

Get a flat head screw driver. Get a thing of regular oil on the tip and try to hold it by pinching it. Chances are, you'll be holding it.

Now try it was syntethic. Chances are, it'll slip outta your fingers.

I tried it in automotive class and its true.

LS2ner
11-25-2008, 12:19 AM
I also use Mobil 1 Full syn. I drive a Frontier, but want it to be in top shape ya know? What sparked this poll was a commercial for Valvoline i saw earlier claiming their synthetic was better than Mobil 1.

9ussy
11-25-2008, 01:33 AM
i use moblie1...

GTScoob
11-25-2008, 01:58 AM
German Castrol 0w30 or Shell Rotella T 5w40 are all that I'll ever put in my motors as far as synthetics go. Castrol GTX is as good as it gets when it comes to dino oil, and its almost always on sale between Wal Mart, Autozone, and Advance.

Mobil 1 is shit, it used to be good but their standards have dropped through the basement in recent years. If you're going to use it, go for the high-mileage synthetic, its a lot more durable than the normal oil. The only thing worse than Mobil 1 is Royal Purple.

There have been a bunch of good threads on here about oil. Motul 8500 is great as is any Amsoil. I really wouldnt ask for oil advice on here, go to a track and see what the real racers are using. I doubt you'll hear many of them mention any positives about Mobil 1 other than that its cheap and readily available anywhere (so is the Rotella T).

Check out the Bob the Oil Guy website and if you're really worried about your oil send a sample to Blackstone Labs every few oil changes to see if your motor is still in tip top shape. There are a lot of test results on there, look them over and see if you still want to run Mobil 1, I dont. You want an oil that keeps its shear weight up over the entire lifespan of the oil, not Royal Purple which starts as a 5w30 and after 3K miles has a shear weight less than 20.

A better question would be, who is using good oil but running it through shoddy Fram filters? Napa Gold and Pureone are what I've used with great success.

Barefoot
11-25-2008, 11:12 AM
i use mobile 1 if i cant find royal purple.

EJ25RUN
11-25-2008, 11:14 AM
http://www.motorspot.com/102504bckgroundhome.jpg

Tech5
11-25-2008, 11:14 AM
I use old oil, but is new to the car i am putting it in lol j/k

Homer Simpson
11-25-2008, 11:46 AM
German Castrol 0w30 or Shell Rotella T 5w40 are all that I'll ever put in my motors as far as synthetics go. Castrol GTX is as good as it gets when it comes to dino oil, and its almost always on sale between Wal Mart, Autozone, and Advance.

Mobil 1 is shit, it used to be good but their standards have dropped through the basement in recent years. If you're going to use it, go for the high-mileage synthetic, its a lot more durable than the normal oil. The only thing worse than Mobil 1 is Royal Purple.

There have been a bunch of good threads on here about oil. Motul 8500 is great as is any Amsoil. I really wouldnt ask for oil advice on here, go to a track and see what the real racers are using. I doubt you'll hear many of them mention any positives about Mobil 1 other than that its cheap and readily available anywhere (so is the Rotella T).

Check out the Bob the Oil Guy website and if you're really worried about your oil send a sample to Blackstone Labs every few oil changes to see if your motor is still in tip top shape. There are a lot of test results on there, look them over and see if you still want to run Mobil 1, I dont. You want an oil that keeps its shear weight up over the entire lifespan of the oil, not Royal Purple which starts as a 5w30 and after 3K miles has a shear weight less than 20.

A better question would be, who is using good oil but running it through shoddy Fram filters? Napa Gold and Pureone are what I've used with great success.

My brother has always used Mobil1 in his ride and with almost 300,000 of rough driving and still kicking? i'm sold. :cheers:

Barefoot
11-25-2008, 11:48 AM
I use old oil, but is new to the car i am putting it in lol j/klol

404 THE DC4
11-25-2008, 11:53 AM
mobil 1

for integra guys, u need to know whats part number of MOBIL 1 OIL FILTER.... its 104! Remember that! lol

Elbow
11-25-2008, 11:56 AM
Motul

Total_Blender
11-25-2008, 12:20 PM
Rotella 15w-40 went into my 8v Jetta. Now that I have a Ford I use the regular Shell brand 10w-30. Bosch, Mahle, or Mann filters ONLY for the VW's, Motorcraft, Wix, or Napa Gold for the Fords.

On older engines I sometimes add a quart or two of ATF with the oil change to help with sticky lifters and such.

Tech5
11-25-2008, 12:22 PM
Why should we remember that, that is why they offer parts stores:thinking:
mobil 1

for integra guys, u need to know whats part number of MOBIL 1 OIL FILTER.... its 104! Remember that! lol

MeanMugen
11-25-2008, 12:30 PM
grand royal purp

DieselNuts
11-25-2008, 12:38 PM
grand royal purp
x2 :goodjob:

Tech5
11-25-2008, 12:38 PM
x3
grand royal purp:cheers:

GTScoob
11-25-2008, 01:51 PM
You want an oil that keeps its shear weight up over the entire lifespan of the oil, not Royal Purple which starts as a 5w30 and after 3K miles has a shear weight less than 20.
Any of you guys using royal purple ever send your oil out for analysis? I think if you did you would never touch the purple stuff again. That statistic is from a handful of subaru owners on nasioc as well as a handful of other car owners on Bobtheoilguy.com. I guess its good if you want to change it out every single track day (which you should do anyways) but for the long haul it breaks down very quickly.

At least Royal Purple doesnt burn multiple quarts of oil like Mobil 1 does on the majority of cars I've heard of people running it in.

404 THE DC4
11-25-2008, 01:52 PM
Why should we remember that, that is why they offer parts stores:thinking:

I mean Its for guys who got b series engine swap. if they need to know whats part number of mobil1 oil filter, Its 104 (B SERIES). I wanted to help thats all.

grand royal purp

royal purp + mobil 1 oil filter = :goodjob:

SleeperWRX
11-25-2008, 02:02 PM
Royal Purple FTW!

PepBoyz has it

boosted b
11-25-2008, 02:06 PM
i use bottled water and a gas mixture it's great lol.

tdurr
11-25-2008, 02:57 PM
I have some royal purp(used) that i need to send in. I wanna kno wut my engine specs are...

Barefoot
11-25-2008, 02:57 PM
i use bottled water and a gas mixture it's great lol.fail

87 Turbo II
11-25-2008, 03:03 PM
I use the cheapest brand non synthetic 20W-50 at any given store I'm in. when I need oil, I need it then and there, and I buy what's available. My car's just gonna burn it anyways. Now all my oil filters are genuine Mazda OEM black filters.

boosted b
11-25-2008, 03:13 PM
u fail

SuperChicken
11-25-2008, 03:13 PM
A friend of mine is one of the better known race-bike engine builders around. He has told me that Royal Purple is great for freeing that last 1 or 2 horsepower in a racebike motor, but that it comes at the expense of replacing bottom end bearings 2x per season! Sorry, not for me! Mobil1 FTW...I've been running it exclusively in my '95 Nissan V6 pickup, which now has 245,000 miles on it bone stock. It just passed emissions the other day with a HUGE margin to spare.
I haven't changed the oil in my "new" Teg yet...

87 Turbo II
11-25-2008, 03:36 PM
u fail
Nah, rotary engine, goes through oil like crazy, synthetics aren't designed to be burned, so they gunk up to stop leaks on cylinder walls, in a rotary, this gunk can build up lock the engine. I change the oil every 3K miles with a brand new filter, and whatever is on sale, bu tI'm constantly buying single quarts cause the oil gets burned up.

.blank cd
11-25-2008, 04:20 PM
I mean Its for guys who got b series engine swap. if they need to know whats part number of mobil1 oil filter, Its 104 (B SERIES). I wanted to help thats all.All 4 banger Hondas use the same oil filter at least up to the R series and K series i believe. They may have the same filter too

Kaiser
11-25-2008, 07:27 PM
First, If this is a repost i dont care..

Anyways, I see commercials all the time about how this oil is used by NASCAR drivers and how this one is used by NHRA drivers etc. My question is, in your opinion, what's the best oil? Support your answer if you want!

You missed a few.

Royal Purple
Redline
Elf (What Eurotrash like me SHOULD be using)
Pennzoil

I typically use Pennzoil when I can't get Elf, the tests are pretty similar between the two and the cost isn't that drastic. Ignore the BS commercials about ASE certified Mechanics use this, or more Nascar dipshits use that. It's all marketing. They use it cause they get it free most of the time.

BUGMAN
11-25-2008, 11:02 PM
I have used the Advanced Auto brand for probably 12 years and have several hard driven F-150's with 300k on them and a Silverado 4.3 with over 400k on it. I cold go on and on but you get the point.

I really don't think there is that huge of a difference as long as it is maintained properly. I know that I will never use Quaker State sludge mush again. Bought a truck with 60k on it and the guy swore by Quaker State and changed the oil every 2,500 miles. It ended up having an intake leak so we pulled it to put new gaskets on it and there was a 1/2 inch of Quaker Sludge in the valley. :eek:

Andy099
11-26-2008, 07:00 AM
where do you guys find royal purple at? auto zone had them clearance out for $0.99/quart and i grabbed the last 24...

Tech5
11-26-2008, 07:49 AM
Advance Oil is Havoline! good oil!
I have used the Advanced Auto brand for probably 12 years and have several hard driven F-150's with 300k on them and a Silverado 4.3 with over 400k on it. I cold go on and on but you get the point.

I really don't think there is that huge of a difference as long as it is maintained properly. I know that I will never use Quaker State sludge mush again. Bought a truck with 60k on it and the guy swore by Quaker State and changed the oil every 2,500 miles. It ended up having an intake leak so we pulled it to put new gaskets on it and there was a 1/2 inch of Quaker Sludge in the valley. :eek:

Terror
11-26-2008, 08:00 AM
Mobil 1 High Milage, helps alot with the oil consumption of ap1's :yumyum:

BABY J
11-26-2008, 04:09 PM
Royal Purple > *

fawk_you
11-26-2008, 04:11 PM
Royal purp

Andy_013
11-26-2008, 04:17 PM
Royal Purple now bc I got a case for only $12...
I used Mobil 1 before...

BABY J
11-26-2008, 04:57 PM
^^ you wiill feel the difference outta the box. And if you've ever seen a RP only block come apart and how clean they are you will never use anything else.

KREEP
11-26-2008, 05:16 PM
Use what the Owners Manual says to use.................nothing else

Any old Dino Juice works for me

BUGMAN
11-26-2008, 06:20 PM
^^ you wiill feel the difference outta the box. And if you've ever seen a RP only block come apart and how clean they are you will never use anything else.

I could say that about several brands. I have seen plenty of motors come apart with very clean internals and none of them had Royal Purple in them. I understand that you like it but I have seen plenty. As a matter of fact I pulled a motor apart last week with over 100 hard passes on it and 30k daily driven and it was as clean as it was new. That oil just happened to be Castrol GTX.

Advance Oil is Havoline! good oil!

I know it use to be but I was under the impression that this was changed early this year? Maybe not but either way I will keep using it since it has proven itself just fine here.

Christopherr
11-27-2008, 01:37 AM
Mobil1 user...

I bought my car with exactly 60K on the ticker and swapped the oil...I'm right at 270K with no oil comsuption. I pour in 5 qrts and get back 4 after 3K miles. I do NOT baby this car. Ask my brother...

I also use Lucas Syn Stabilizer Additive.

I know a guy from another forum that pulled his LT1 heads at 125K to rebuild his engine...needless to say, the engine still had its cylinder honing from the factory. Basically, the engine was still breaking in! Another Mobil1 user.

Bob the oil guy has good material when it comes to oils, filters and additives...its where I would start.

From what I understand, the best combo is Mobil1 + Mobil1 Filter or K&N filter (they are the same).

qwick
11-27-2008, 03:26 AM
Royal Purple, 146k on my dsm and hasnt broke down once.:goodjob:

speedminded
11-27-2008, 09:30 AM
Mobil1 hasn't sold full synthetic in nearly a decade, it's all a conventional synthetic blend ;)

After Mobil1 sued Castrol for selling a Group III oil as full synthetic (Group IV) and lost they too begin producing the PAO crude oil based blend and selling it as fully synthetic. The Better Business Bureau declared since the oil has similar properties & performance they can call it full synthetic.

The catch is Mobil1 never told their customers yet continued to sell Group III oil at Group IV prices.

*NOTE*
I forgot to mention this ONLY applies to the US market, full synthetic in any other country are indeed fully synthetic.

A better question would be, who is using good oil but running it through shoddy Fram filters? Napa Gold and Pureone are what I've used with great success.You my friend are the most intelligent person in this thread :goodjob:

BUGMAN
11-27-2008, 10:00 AM
Mobil1 hasn't sold full synthetic in nearly a decade, it's all a conventional synthetic blend ;)

After Mobil1 sued Castrol for selling a Group III oil as full synthetic (Group IV) and lost they too begin producing the PAO crude oil based blend and selling it as fully synthetic. The Better Business Bureau declared since the oil has similar properties they can call it full synthetic.

The catch is Mobil1 never told their customers yet continued to sell Group III oil at Group IV prices.

You my friend are the most intelligent person in this thread :goodjob:

I agree 100%. I will never run Mobile1 or Royal Purple here. Not sure if the Castrol or Havoline from Advance is any better but it has done us just fine. And as far as Fram filters go, they use to be a really good filter back in the day but I steered clear of them years ago when I had one collapse.

The only reason I offered my opinon is because we drive 200-300 miles a day and they are hard miles along with our drag racing hobby with several Nitrous applications and a few dozen Mustangs in the crowd. I am by far a professional but I will stick to what I said previously.

Init2winit
11-27-2008, 04:52 PM
Best oil for what?

RL...
11-27-2008, 05:32 PM
mobil 1 full syn

Turbd4DE
11-27-2008, 08:36 PM
Amsoil FTW!

BTEC
11-27-2008, 09:05 PM
I used to run mobil 1. now i just use napa shit bc i get it free. When i start buying oil id like to try that shit that bizimoto came up with. cant remember the name of it but i used it to lube my bearing when i assembled my engine and i liked it.

Royal purple is not good for high milage engine. my friend put it inhis prelude and it started smoking. i think bc when it gets hot its viscoity drops too low and u get blow-by. u get power gains bc it doesnt bond to anything is my theory.

If u want to clean ur engine, just drop ur oil level one quart and replace it with trans fulid. Shit comes out blanging. Old master tech trick i learned from my professor.

tdurr
11-28-2008, 01:15 AM
^^ or put a quart of ATF in your gas, but do this before a tune up.

b17a1db2
11-28-2008, 01:38 AM
I use Mobil1, with a blue honda filter every 2000 miles.

Humphrizzle
06-04-2009, 06:39 PM
im getting rotella 15w40 for my next oil change..

least expensive synthetic oil and i've heard good things...

Barefoot
06-04-2009, 06:49 PM
im getting rotella 15w40 for my next oil change..

least expensive synthetic oil and i've heard good things...y did u bring this back from the dead.

Humphrizzle
06-04-2009, 06:50 PM
because i am a noob.

95LxCD5
06-05-2009, 10:19 PM
i heard castrol edge is good. they have it in Fast and Furious. :) ive never used it. i buy watever good synthetic is on sale at advance.

wishiwuzfast
06-06-2009, 12:45 AM
edge is working real well for me:D previously used royal purple